rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

British Council

British Council

Hey guys,

Does anyone here have any experience with the British Council, either as a student in their CELTA course, or as an employee?

Does their CELTA course open doors to a paying job with them?

As an arm of the British Foreign Office, I understand it is used to project British soft power? Did that make any gigs more prestigious in the host country. How about career advancement?

British Council

Quote: (07-16-2017 12:54 PM)Atticus Wrote:  

Hey guys,

Does anyone here have any experience with the British Council, either as a student in their CELTA course, or as an employee?

Does their CELTA course open doors to a paying job with them?

As an arm of the British Foreign Office, I understand it is used to project British soft power? Did that make any gigs more prestigious in the host country. How about career advancement?

Where do you want to teach? What teaching qualifications do you have?

The BC are generally thought of as being good employers. The pay is ok, they look after their employees and there are opportunities of career advancement. They are big into CPD (Continuing Professional Development).

British Council

Many thanks for your reply. I have a degree in an unrelated field, but no teaching qualifications yet. Was thinking of doing their CELTA course. I would ideally work in the FSU.

British Council

It's good for your cv but usually they'll contract you to a private school that would just give you more money. There doesn't seem to be much profession from there. I'd say graft in your languages and look out for embassy positions and prepare for the psychometric tests that you'd have to pass.