rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

FIFA World Cup 2018 thread

Exciting sportsball tomorrow! Both the U.S. and Trinidad and Tobago are ranked low in the hex and fighting to stay alive. Then on the 11th, we see if switching coaches is going to be enough to put the U.S. on track to beat Mexico on their home turf. I'm thinking probably not, as Mexico seems to be on a roll.

So if the U.S. did end up being 4th, I wonder what are the odds they'd win the playoff? I'm thinking not too bad, although Australia could be pretty formidable.

Quote: (06-07-2017 07:00 AM)Jean Valjean Wrote:  

Exciting sportsball tomorrow! Both the U.S. and Trinidad and Tobago are ranked low in the hex and fighting to stay alive. Then on the 11th, we see if switching coaches is going to be enough to put the U.S. on track to beat Mexico on their home turf. I'm thinking probably not, as Mexico seems to be on a roll.

So if the U.S. did end up being 4th, I wonder what are the odds they'd win the playoff? I'm thinking not too bad, although Australia could be pretty formidable.

[Image: laugh4.gif]

Come on man. The US team should be setting its sights a lot higher than calling a game against Australia 'formidable'. I agree a game against them would be harder than a team like Iran but still...

Is anybody on here planning to attend the games in Russia next summer? I'm tempted if I can get some time off...

“Nothing is more useful than to look upon the world as it really is.”

Quote: (06-07-2017 11:34 AM)britchard Wrote:  

Come on man. The US team should be setting its sights a lot higher than calling a game against Australia 'formidable'. I agree a game against them would be harder than a team like Iran but still...
Is USA soccer team so good that they can look down to Australia ?
Sure Australia isn't Germany but neither is USA, especially if there is a chance they finish 4th in North America.

PS : Unlike Australia, Iran is topping their group and wouldn't need playoff to qualify.

Quote: (06-07-2017 08:52 PM)e-smile Wrote:  

PS : Unlike Australia, Iran is topping their group and wouldn't need playoff to qualify.

An Iran vs. US final possible? In Russia?!!

[Image: mindblown.gif]

Sorry to break it to you, but Iran is nearly 98% guaranteed direct qualification and can confirm qualification as early as this coming Monday (Need a home win vs. Uzbekistan).

Notice ZERO goals conceded in 7 games....Queiroz's defensive coaching is unbelievable.

[Image: RlfbIKU.png]

---------
Meanwhile Australia simply MUST defeat the 8-0s Saudi goatfuckers today (Kick off is 6AM EST), or else they'll have very little chance of direct qualification and most likely end in play-off spots. I'm cheering hard for Aussies today !! Bring misery to house of Saud !

By the way, whoever did the AFC draw may have prevented something big by putting Australia as the top seed of Saudi Arabia's group instead of Iran. (Iran & Aussies were top seeds).....else, we'd have to witness an Iran vs. Saudi Arabia match instead in Tehran (though most likely the game would have had been moved to a neutral location as Iranians and Saudi teams don't travel to opposite countries anymore for the past 1.5 years). Imagine that after all the recent events !

Quote: (06-07-2017 10:31 PM)TigerMandingo Wrote:  

I still remember the last time US and Iran played in a World Cup.

What a night it was !

Quote: (06-07-2017 10:31 PM)TigerMandingo Wrote:  

A surprise is always possible in football but having both reach the final would be two combined surprises and very highly un-probable.
I remember USA vs Iran in WC 98, it was very symbolic and not only because it was the first victory for Iran in a WC game.

Quote: (06-07-2017 10:52 PM)AManLikePutin Wrote:  

Sorry to break it to you, but Iran is nearly 98% guaranteed direct qualification and can confirm qualification as early as this coming Monday (Need a home win vs. Uzbekistan).

Notice ZERO goals conceded in 7 games....Queiroz's defensive coaching is unbelievable.

---------
Meanwhile Australia simply MUST defeat the 8-0s Saudi goatfuckers today (Kick off is 6AM EST), or else they'll have very little chance of direct qualification and most likely end in play-off spots. I'm cheering hard for Aussies today !! Bring misery to house of Saud !

By the way, whoever did the AFC draw may have prevented something big by putting Australia as the top seed of Saudi Arabia's group instead of Iran. (Iran & Aussies were top seeds).....else, we'd have to witness an Iran vs. Saudi Arabia match instead in Tehran (though most likely the game would have had been moved to a neutral location as Iranians and Saudi teams don't travel to opposite countries anymore for the past 1.5 years). Imagine that after all the recent events !
Australia won 3 - 2 (thanks to a very bad Saudi GK). Now this group is open again but if Japan wins next week against Iraq that will mean they will only need a draw at home against Australia to qualify. If that happens Saudi Arabia will play an already qualified team at home for their last match.

Quote: (06-07-2017 01:07 PM)911 Wrote:  

Is anybody on here planning to attend the games in Russia next summer? I'm tempted if I can get some time off...

Yes very tempted! I already have a multi year Russian visa, even though a visa is not needed if you buy a ticket. My concern is that it will be super touristy and pricey during the World Cup which is a bit off putting. On the other hand it would be a cool experience.

I like to daydream and plan way in advance, and my hypothetical plan is to just go to Sochi for a week. I could care less who is playing it would just be cool to hang with people from all over the world and maybe watch a game. I picked Sochi because it would be warm anyway and fun to hang out there. Already been to Petersburg and don't want to go wayyy out in Russia. Would maybe go to Kazan though.... again this is all hypothetical but probably not too early to start throwing ideas around.

Also, not sure if we should start another thread for traveling to the World Cup or if this thread is fine as OP seems more interested in the sport itself!

Quote: (06-07-2017 10:52 PM)AManLikePutin Wrote:  

---------

Welcome to Portuguese Managers [Image: biggrin.gif]

All I know is that it will be the best time ever to not go to Russia.

Estadio Azteca is no joke

http://www.sbnation.com/2009/8/13/164441...ress-their

Quote:Quote:

The man with the tri-colored mohawk took a swig of beer, stuck his fingers down his throat and vomited the mixture back into his cup. In the next seat another man, who was wearing a T-shirt with a cartoon drawing of the decapitated heads of Barack Obama and Landon Donovan, poured out what remained of the Corona beer he had been chugging and urinated into his cardboard drinks container.

Those containers ended up flying through the air at Donovan while the American was taking a corner kick fifteen yards away. It's not often when you say, "Yeah, I'd rather be hit by a battery, actually, but when your options are the aforementioned special cocktails of Estadio Azteca or a D-cell chucked from the upper deck, I would take the battery to the skull every time. In fact, you can make it two, and I'd still take that over the Barf-arita any day. in other news, Mexican soccer fans are reaaaaaaaallllly dedicated"

"In America we don't worship government, we worship God." - President Donald J. Trump

^^^Iran has always had a decent team.

I remember that great game they played against Argentina in a previous WC.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

The World Cup, no event I look forward to more, always so great to see the whole world get hyped for a face off. The Europeans with their super professional top competing teams, where even a smaller team that qualified can cause trouble to big teams. The North Americans with their enthusiasm and athleticism, the Asians with their tactically disciplined teams, where no individual is above the rest, the Africans with their speed, natural talent but lack of tactics which can cause them to surprise a top team or to get kicked out by a weaker European team. Finally the Latinos with their aggressive play, their trickery on the pitch and off course their individual quality.

In Asia it seems there will be no surprises, regular candidates with Japan, South Korea, Iran and then S.Arabia/Australia to qualify directly or face off Uzbekistan.

In Africa I am def. rooting for the DRC, some really nice talents there and it just a country you want to experience the joy of participating at the WC. They have to take care of Tunesia to make it though. Nigeria will qualify as well, once again with a lot of top talents, super fast flanks and attackers, they cannot be missed on the tournament, too bad it will be instead of current African champions Cameroon. The two following groups are still open. Ivory Coast and Burkina Faso having the lead, but don't count out Morocco, South Africa and Senegal. Will be a tight finish in these groups. Morocco would be nice because of their technically skilled players. The last group is a surprising one. Ghana will have a lot of difficulty to qualify it seems, one loss and they are out. Egypt is taking the lead but I sincerely hope Uganda makes it. It would be for the first time in a while East Africa has a participant and Uganda is absolutely football crazy. No doubt their fans would be a big attraction in Russia. The 28th of August and 2nd of September they face each other.

North America will just have Mexico, Costa Rica and the US as participants I imagine, I don't see Panama surprising anymore.

South America will come with their strongest teams as well: Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia and Chile. Only if Chile loses 3 unrightfully awarded points after Bolivia beat them but played an unregistered player, then Ecuador still has a shot for the play off position, but I doubt it. Ecuador just lacks quality.

New Zealand will play a direct play off, but I don't think they will make it.

Europe then, what surprises are we seeing? The bigger teams that are having a lot of difficulties are the Netherlands, Turkey, Ukraine, Austria and Romania. Smaller teams who are surprising for now: Northern Ireland, Ireland, Montenegro, Slovakia and Iceland. We will know more after the qualifications today and coming days. It will be interesting to see Italy play a play off as well after ending second after Spain most likely, stress levels will be high. The same goes for current European champions Portugal.

Besides this I see some top favorites with weaker teams. Germany is missing the likes of Lahm and although still a strong team, I don't see them winning the cup this time around. The same goes for Spain. Xavi-Iniesta was a golden duo, the new generation is not reaching that level yet. Bigger competitors might be France, which undoubtedly has the most talent of all teams worldwide: Pogba, Mbappe, Kante, Dembele, Coman, Martial, ... wow their future is secured, big contenders! Belgium will also be a team to be watched. Although their talent is undeniable, their arrogance and youth sins have cost them success in earlier tournaments. Now the golden generation is reaching their top: Hazard, Lukaku, Mertens, Nainggolan, Carrasco, Benteke, Alderweireld, Vertonghen all had a topseason. King Kompany is fit again to lead the troops and there are several young talents knocking at the door in Tielemans, Batshuayi, Origi, J.Lukaku, Th.Hazard.

Nice outsiders as always will be Croatia and maybe Poland. Switzerland, Serbia won't be defeated easily but they won't make the quarters I believe. England remains the wild card. Lots of talent, but will they finally present a team? There is hope now that they leave overrated players like Rooney home and have up and coming stars like Kane taking the lead.

And just now France loses away to Sweden with a last minute goal. Sweden now on goal difference takes the lead. This group will be interesting, because the Netherlands have found their form again as well with two consecutive 5-0 wins (against Ivory Coast and Luxembourg). 3 points behind now. Other then that we can count out Bulgaria and Hungary with two shameful loses and Greece consolidated second place for now by not losing in Bosnia.

Iran joins Russia and Brazil. Another win, ANOTHER Clean sheet. qualified with zero goals conceded and 2 games to spare.

On that subject, see the tweet below (the reply by Danny).....These people are insane [Image: biggrin.gif]

[Image: 3MNc1rO.png]

Teams that qualified or are as good as qualified (near certainty):

1. Russia
2. Iran

3. Germany
4. Poland
5. Mexico
6. Brazil

Now that the US got rid of that idiot Klinsmann it looks like we could make things interesting heading into the Cup.

Pulisic looks to become the first American superstar, even though he didn't have a good last game because the fuckin Mexicans play dirty and the refs were letting them get away with it. I think he'll make a name for himself in the World Cup, where he's playing against Euros who are as skinny as he is. He's got tremendous vision and ball skills.

The US has never had this level of depth, as shown in us trotting out completely different lineups for T&T and Mexico.

Quote: (06-12-2017 03:13 PM)BallsDeep Wrote:  

Now that the US got rid of that idiot Klinsmann it looks like we could make things interesting heading into the Cup.

Pulisic looks to become the first American superstar, even though he didn't have a good last game because the fuckin Mexicans play dirty and the refs were letting them get away with it. I think he'll make a name for himself in the World Cup, where he's playing against Euros who are as skinny as he is. He's got tremendous vision and ball skills.

The US has never had this level of depth, as shown in us trotting out completely different lineups for T&T and Mexico.

How come then the US is having such difficulty in a fairly weak group? I haven't seen the games, were they unlucky? Pulisic is indeed looking good, but the US will need more then that. Let's see if Panama and Costa Rica win tomorrow, because if they do it can become quite a tight finish still.

The fourth placed will I estimate play against the winner of Uzbekistan-Saudi Arabia (perhaps Australia). That is def doable.

I'm looking forwards to the cup already and good discussions on this forum, we should be able to have members of at least have the countries pitching in.

Quote: (06-12-2017 03:46 PM)rottenapple Wrote:  

Quote: (06-12-2017 03:13 PM)BallsDeep Wrote:  

How come then the US is having such difficulty in a fairly weak group? I haven't seen the games, were they unlucky? Pulisic is indeed looking good, but the US will need more then that. Let's see if Panama and Costa Rica win tomorrow, because if they do it can become quite a tight finish still.

The fourth placed will I estimate play against the winner of Uzbekistan-Saudi Arabia (perhaps Australia). That is def doable.

I'm looking forwards to the cup already and good discussions on this forum, we should be able to have members of at least have the countries pitching in.

Panama and Costa Rica still have to come play their game here in the US. If history is any indication that should be 6 points right there.. Also the US still has their easiest road game left in Trinidad, so qualifying shouldn't be a problem.

I'm going to Russia for a month for the World Cup. I went to every single World Cup since 2006.

2006 Germany was awesome, especially when we won.

2010 South Africa wasn't that great due to not complete airports and hotels.

2014 Brazil was fun, because it was a great country.

Let's see what happens in Russia.

I'll have to see the groups before I decide who I think will do well. There are always a few teams that do well and have been on the verge of advancing far and could be dark horses for shaking up the tournament.

I suspect Mexico is one. They have been very close to eliminating some teams that placed in the past 3 World Cups. I seethem breaking through to quarter finals.

Chile will be another good bet to make it to quarter finals.

Belgium should be with their talent but as a team they don't seem to have the cohesiveness.

Outside of France I don't think there is a real solid favorite but I would take the field over France. As talented as they are they don't seem to have the grit to win the World Cup.

Quote: (06-09-2017 12:26 PM)rottenapple Wrote:  

The World Cup, no event I look forward to more, always so great to see the whole world get hyped for a face off. The Europeans with their super professional top competing teams, where even a smaller team that qualified can cause trouble to big teams. The North Americans with their enthusiasm and athleticism, the Asians with their tactically disciplined teams, where no individual is above the rest, the Africans with their speed, natural talent but lack of tactics which can cause them to surprise a top team or to get kicked out by a weaker European team. Finally the Latinos with their aggressive play, their trickery on the pitch and off course their individual quality.

In Asia it seems there will be no surprises, regular candidates with Japan, South Korea, Iran and then S.Arabia/Australia to qualify directly or face off Uzbekistan.

In Africa I am def. rooting for the DRC, some really nice talents there and it just a country you want to experience the joy of participating at the WC. They have to take care of Tunesia to make it though. Nigeria will qualify as well, once again with a lot of top talents, super fast flanks and attackers, they cannot be missed on the tournament, too bad it will be instead of current African champions Cameroon. The two following groups are still open. Ivory Coast and Burkina Faso having the lead, but don't count out Morocco, South Africa and Senegal. Will be a tight finish in these groups. Morocco would be nice because of their technically skilled players. The last group is a surprising one. Ghana will have a lot of difficulty to qualify it seems, one loss and they are out. Egypt is taking the lead but I sincerely hope Uganda makes it. It would be for the first time in a while East Africa has a participant and Uganda is absolutely football crazy. No doubt their fans would be a big attraction in Russia. The 28th of August and 2nd of September they face each other.

North America will just have Mexico, Costa Rica and the US as participants I imagine, I don't see Panama surprising anymore.

South America will come with their strongest teams as well: Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia and Chile. Only if Chile loses 3 unrightfully awarded points after Bolivia beat them but played an unregistered player, then Ecuador still has a shot for the play off position, but I doubt it. Ecuador just lacks quality.

New Zealand will play a direct play off, but I don't think they will make it.

Europe then, what surprises are we seeing? The bigger teams that are having a lot of difficulties are the Netherlands, Turkey, Ukraine, Austria and Romania. Smaller teams who are surprising for now: Northern Ireland, Ireland, Montenegro, Slovakia and Iceland. We will know more after the qualifications today and coming days. It will be interesting to see Italy play a play off as well after ending second after Spain most likely, stress levels will be high. The same goes for current European champions Portugal.

Besides this I see some top favorites with weaker teams. Germany is missing the likes of Lahm and although still a strong team, I don't see them winning the cup this time around. The same goes for Spain. Xavi-Iniesta was a golden duo, the new generation is not reaching that level yet. Bigger competitors might be France, which undoubtedly has the most talent of all teams worldwide: Pogba, Mbappe, Kante, Dembele, Coman, Martial, ... wow their future is secured, big contenders! Belgium will also be a team to be watched. Although their talent is undeniable, their arrogance and youth sins have cost them success in earlier tournaments. Now the golden generation is reaching their top: Hazard, Lukaku, Mertens, Nainggolan, Carrasco, Benteke, Alderweireld, Vertonghen all had a topseason. King Kompany is fit again to lead the troops and there are several young talents knocking at the door in Tielemans, Batshuayi, Origi, J.Lukaku, Th.Hazard.

Nice outsiders as always will be Croatia and maybe Poland. Switzerland, Serbia won't be defeated easily but they won't make the quarters I believe. England remains the wild card. Lots of talent, but will they finally present a team? There is hope now that they leave overrated players like Rooney home and have up and coming stars like Kane taking the lead.

Is it weird that I read this whole post in Martin Tyler's voice?

Remissas, discite, vivet.
God save us from people who mean well. -storm

Quote: (06-12-2017 03:46 PM)rottenapple Wrote:  

We haven't lost a game since Klinsmann was fired.

Many US Soccer fans believe we would've beaten Belgium in the last WC had Klinsmann not been the coach. More importantly, if we had a decent coach we would've won our group and not had to face Belgium in the first place.

Our current coach, Bruce Arena, is decent but not world class. He's the best American coach out there though, and since Klinsmann was fired only 18 months before WC 2018 we were forced to hire a coach who is already familiar with the American talent pool.

The US is already #2 in the hex and will stay there through qualifying. Mexico is on a tear and I expect them to get 3 points in each of their remaining qualifying games. This is easily the best Mexican squad of the last 30 years and they should do some damage next year in Russia.