rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Where to Start When Choosing a Career

Sadly, at 28 years old I still find myself at my dead-end overnight retail job of 2 years. I am committed to living a normal life again and I strongly desire the ability to earn a comfortable income. Lately, I've been browsing the online ads looking for work and I realize that I have no idea where to begin when choosing work. I sometimes can't stand the thought of working for another unappreciative boss or soul-sucking system. I'm in need of some advice.

Have you ever been so fed up with your position in your working life that you made an enormous change? What motivated you and what was your path like?

What are the philosophies, guidelines, and techniques you have used to land yourself in a successful career?

Right now my first priority is landing another day gig. I'm working on day positions in my retail company. The hours and pay will likely be worse but having a normal schedule is invaluable to me now. But what then...? [Image: huh.gif]

What do you like doing when you are not getting paid? What did you study in university?

You gotta start doing something while you are still at that dead-end job. Maybe a hobby blog?

"Have you ever been so fed up with your position in your working life that you made an enormous change? What motivated you and what was your path like?"

Hell yeah! I couldn't find a job doing what I was previously doing in the states, and typical office job stuff bored me to tears, so I took a TEFL course in Mexico in moved to Colombia to see what would happen. Still here. Redefined my idea of what success even means. Came into the country without knowing anyone and no guaranteed job. Still working on the successful career part, but I have much more of an idea of what I am looking to accomplish than when I left the states. Definitely recharged my batteries, which it sounds like you need.

The first thing to do is figure out what you want. Then go after it shamelessly. Send people letters, knock on doors. Approach it like game, just approach potential employers looking for gigs and advice from people who inspire you or who work in your chosen field.

Have you got any money saved, so that you could do a six month internship without having to worry about money?

Go to school.

Join a trade union. Carpenter, electrician, plumber ...etc.

Take a Civil Service exam and work for the state.

Start a business. Get a book for $20 and learn how.

Or you'll end up in a dead end job for minimum wage.

I chose to go to school but may end up doing my own business.

Team Nachos

In this economy, without a skill in high demand, you're up against a lot of competition. That shouldn't discourage you...it should make you work harder.

Since you didn't post anything about your background, I'll assume you do not have a college degree. That being the case, I would focus on getting a certification or two right away. Pick something and jump in.

If it were me, I would grab a cert to teach english as a second language and find a position overseas (from the U.S.). This enables you to get away, do something new, earn a paycheck, fuck women, and most importantly, think about your next step.

If manual labor is your thing, join a union and become an apprentice welder, electrician, plumber, or whatever interests you. Work is not that hard to find in the shipyard towns. (pussy is REAL hard to find in the shipyard towns)

If you're feeling adventurous and really want to get away, get a job on a cruise ship. I don't read about this option around here, but there is the possibility to fuck a lot, A LOT, of women. A lot of foreign women from EE, Baltics, etc work on these ships. You get fired for fucking the tourists, but I think it would be worth it for a cute girl. You work your ass off but you also see the world. Complete a tour or two and you have seniority and you start to move around on the better ships that work the better ports. You can grab a job in the onboard stores that close while in port so you're free to go off for the day and game the tourists off the ship.

Bottom line, if you're not tied down, then pick something adventurous and go! In retail, your experiences maxes out after a year if you're not moving up. A cashier with two years experience is not much better on paper than one with four years. In the classroom in Korea teaching english, welding in the shipyard, or working on a cruise ship, you'll be getting new experience to set you up for another future opportunity. Always be learning something new, plotting, scheming, looking for the next move...the next big win. Life is about wins. A piece of quality pussy is a win. A new piece of knowledge is a win. Cash in your pocket is a win. Figure out what kind of wins you want and go get them. Getting stuck in a rut can be harder to cure than cancer.

You have to fight with every ounce of energy to stay out of that rut.

I def. think a certification in any kind of 'skilled labor' is the way to go... the rough necks that work on my AC unit charge me a huge amount. I bet with actual cert you could work there and be above the grunts immediately.

What about cooking? At least you can learn a life long skill and move up in the classier restaurants?

Are you living in a town where your family is? IE it would be difficult to leave to find new work?

With out knowing your interest it is really hard to say.

You can also join the military to travel and get money for college.

Not a bad deal for some people.

They accept up to 32 I think.

Team Nachos

Quote: (08-31-2011 05:00 PM)Ajiaco Wrote:  

What do you like doing when you are not getting paid? What did you study in university?

I like thinking, writing, reading, debating, learning, exploring. I studied Philosophy in school.

Quote: (08-31-2011 05:00 PM)Ajiaco Wrote:  

You gotta start doing something while you are still at that dead-end job. Maybe a hobby blog?

I've considered doing blogging but I don't feel like I have enough experience to make anything substantial yet. I've made a YouTube channel in the past and I thought it was fun. I would like to do something like that again.

Quote: (08-31-2011 05:00 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

Start a business. Get a book for $20 and learn how.

I've considered this and the idea excites me. I've wanted to get involved in the food industry somehow. Starting a cafe or something. Well, I've met a number of people who have started their own businesses and they tell me it runs them ragged. The business becomes your life and you have no time for anything else. With the economy the way it is, this idea sounds even less of a good idea.

Quote: (08-31-2011 08:18 PM)Smitty Wrote:  

If you're feeling adventurous and really want to get away, get a job on a cruise ship.
I've actually considered this. I know someone whose kids do this and they make bank. Do you know how to get involved in this?

Quote: (08-31-2011 08:18 PM)Smitty Wrote:  

In retail, your experiences maxes out after a year if you're not moving up. A cashier with two years experience is not much better on paper than one with four years.

Thanks for reminding me about this. It really motivates me to get the hell out of there.

Quote: (09-01-2011 10:59 AM)amistod Wrote:  

What about cooking? At least you can learn a life long skill and move up in the classier restaurants?

I wanted to do this, actually. My cousin went to culinary school and dropped out of the business after a few years. He said there's no money in it unless you move into management or work at a really high end place. Most places will hire any monkey who knows how to turn on a stove and pay them retail wages. The skills would be nice though.

Quote: (09-01-2011 10:59 AM)amistod Wrote:  

Are you living in a town where your family is? IE it would be difficult to leave to find new work?

No, my family is nowhere near here. I'm pretty much on my own. I have a little bit of savings but I'm really reluctant to burn it for anything but emergencies. I'm tempted to leave my job without a new one though. Very tempted.

Quote: (09-01-2011 11:02 AM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

You can also join the military to travel and get money for college.

Already been to college. And I wouldn't join the military unless Ron Paul were president. Everyone else seems hell-bent on getting the boys killed.

Thanks for all who have contributed so far. This is a pretty important topic to me and I appreciate any advice. The trade schools sound like the best idea. Keep 'em comin'.

As a man who's a decade younger than you are, I don't know how seriously you'll take me.

I've been recently thinking about life, its meaning, and purpose.

Do you really want a career? Or do you really want freedom? Ask any person off the street how they're doing and if they like their jobs, and you'll generally receive negative responses. You'll rarely hear people jumping on about how great their work is. A career is something that we delude ourselves into thinking that we actually enjoy. What we really want is free time to enjoy the activities and hobbies that we enjoy and the money to fund those activities. If we were rich, everyone would quit their jobs and careers, lawyers, doctors, managers, plumbers, electricians, computer programmers, etc.; I almost guarantee it.

I feel like you can do much better than just "another day gig." You're shortselling yourself.

Our time on this earth is short. Unless you become super-famous, you'll most likely be forgotten and no one will remember you or care about you. At best, your memory will live on up to your grandchildren. How well do you guys know your great-grandparents? Or your great-great grandparents?

Perhaps I am being a bit cynical or even depressing, but I am deciding to face this reality now rather than becoming a bitter old man. I always try to keep reminding myself of the brevity of life whenever I don't approach a woman or seize an opportunity. Who cares what happens? If nothing happens, at worst they'll just forget about you. This is what I used to keep my head up high in high school. In a few years after graduation, I will enjoy the fruits of my labor while others who wallowed in their studies will reap what they sowed. I saw too many classmates get caught up in drugs, alcohol, sex, who's popular, what's the current trend, who's dating whom, jealousy rivalries between girls, depression, "problem" kids, and other s**t when none of it really mattered. All the B.S. everyone goes through high school never really mattered. For some kids, it probably didn't sink in after graduation, but I knew it all along the first time I stepped into 9th grade.

When we're young, we tend to care a lot about what other people think, males and females, but females a bit more. We care whether we please our parents, friends, family, and society's expectations of us. Whether we have a "normal" life or not or whether we are "normal" or not. It's not until later when you're older that you don't care anymore and realize nobody really cared. Your grandparents will die, your parents will die, your friends will die or move, your wife will divorce you, and your children will ship you off to a retirement home. That is the endgame of your average American man.

I don't want you get stuck in the rat-race. Take note from others who lead the lives you want to live.

Hello.

Blurb, thats deep but he does have to put the food on his table.

He is in a position where a false move could be bad.

We're in a position where we're young and have time to work on ourselves without having to worry about our next meal.

Developing a business is all good but its near impossible when you have no money and no time.
It would be better for him to find a stable job for a while and get his finances in order.
After that, he can devise ways to get out of the rat race. Failure is extremely likely for the first try or two and it would be good to have cash saved up for those hard months.