rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

University of Bangkok

University of Bangkok

I was wanting some input on what you guys think. I share similar goals and tastes as a lot of people here so I figured this place would be the best to come to for advice.

I have grown sick of my job after 6 years.

So this has been my fantasy. If you guys have suggestions or better alternatives I'm all ears.

I'm 25 years old. I could have $40,000 in savings perhaps come January if I really buckle down until then. Attend the university of Bangkok for a 4 year degree. As it stands today I have $55,000 in my 401k. I figure I could milk that my junior and senior year. So I'm estimating I will have about $70,000 dollars available to me hopefully over the 4 years of my course.

Tuition is 10,000 dollars. I'm not budgeting that in at the moment as I feel I can come up with it somewhere.

I have been to Thailand once before when I was 21 and had an amazing time. What do you guys think? Figuring my budget will be about $1,300 to
$1,500 a month.

I know education wise it is not a popular choice. I'm sure I can get out of it whatever I put in. I just want to have a good time while doing so, go to the gym and get ripped, learn Muay Thai, and focus on making an income doing internet marketing.

Also I really love Japan and a Bachelors degree would allow me the visa to work there. A lot of these university's in Thailand are accredited and I can transfer all of those credits over to a school in the States. I could at least do it for 2 years and if I didn't like it I could graduate from somewhere else.

So at the very end of it all I would be starting all over at 30 with 0 dollars in my pocket and 0 debt, bachelors degree, 4 years of Muay Thai and ping pong that they offer at the school. I can always take my old job back at the end of this. I don't see myself wanting to but if I was hard on money.

What do you guys think? Would that kind of a budget still allow me to have a good time? College appeals to me but I have no desire to live in the states. What would you do. My only alternative that I have came up with that sound promising is taking the 30 day TEFL course in Prague and working there while I complete a degree online.

University of Bangkok

Id imagine a 1,500 a month budget in Thailand wouldnt be bad.

I mean what degree do you want? What kind of job do you want when you graduate? What kind of life do you want for yourself? What makes you happy?

You have to factor in ALL these things.

I may be wrong but it doesnt really sound like you have a thought out plan of the direction you want in life and how to achieve it.

University of Bangkok

It sounds like you just want to go to Thailand. I wouldn't commit so much to that. You can always go to a school in the States and study abroad there. 4 years is a long time.

Having a BA is really not that important. What matters is what sort of work experience and connections you make. Please don't be the fool I and many people were, chasing the degree for its own sake. The degree has to be a means to an end and it doesn't sound like you have a particular end in mind.

You sound like you're a good planner but you're not planning anything too specific. You want to travel and you're trying to save money; that's great. But you need to incorporate some productive aspect into that plan or else it's just a money-blowing fun-ride. That's hard to justify during a global economic crisis.

You need to be more valuable after this is all said and done. Ask yourself how you can do that.

University of Bangkok

Personally, I would forgo the idea about going for a degree here and just enroll in a language school. You could focus on the muay thai, internet marketing, and learning languages. In bigger places like Bangkok, Phuket, and Chiang Mai it's not all that hard to find a school that offers not only Thai but Mandarin as well and possibly even Japanese.

Then, you're having a ball while building language skills - that said, if you plan to ever make the Japanese or Mandarin marketable, I'd probably consider spending some real time in those countries as well get the cultural experience.

Unless you're set on a degree for the degree's sake, of course, but if you're planning on a future in internet marketing and have the means to make it happen, I don't really see the point.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

University of Bangkok

http://www.sovereignman.com/expat/study-abroad

University of Bangkok

Quote: (08-29-2011 09:14 PM)bo0giemonsta Wrote:  

I'm 25 years old. I could have $40,000 in savings perhaps come January if I really buckle down until then. Attend the university of Bangkok for a 4 year degree.
If you do a full four year degree there, it won't be worth anything, especially putting forward to coming into Japan as a teacher. You need a degree from an English speaking country.

Quote:Quote:

I have been to Thailand once before when I was 21 and had an amazing time. What do you guys think? Figuring my budget will be about $1,300 to
$1,500 a month.
I think I spent less than that in Chiang Mai and I was paying like $650 per month for full time Muay Thai training. I stayed there for 6 months when I was 19. So you might consider Chiang Mai.

I know education wise it is not a popular choice. I'm sure I can get out of it whatever I put in.
If you're a get out what you put in guy, go to the library and read online, it's cheaper.

I just want to have a good time while doing so, go to the gym and get ripped, learn Muay Thai, and focus on making an income doing internet marketing.
None of these things have anything to do with the degree; they are in fact contrary to the degree in the time they take. If you want to get an income from internet marketing, how is spending thousands on a degree in Thailand going to help?

If you need to stay in Thailand long term, contact a language school or Muay Thai gym to do a 1 year education visa for you. There were lots of guys at my gym who were staying for a year. You didn't mention the Thai language, but that might be helpful to learn while you are there.

A lot of these university's in Thailand are accredited and I can transfer all of those credits over to a school in the States.

I could at least do it for 2 years and if I didn't like it I could graduate from somewhere else.

No university in Thailand is accredited by a United States accrediting body. You'll find universities in Thailand that are accredited by the Thai government.

I'll give you my experience from a much more productive, scientific, and industrious country, Korea: I got accepted into a masters program while I went to Korea on an exchange, and my credits transferred back as third year credits in Canada. That was fine, I just needed upper levels because I was doing my bachelors degree, but that's how your credits will be treated (or even lower, or you may not be able to transfer them at all depending on the institution).

So at the very end of it all I would be starting all over at 30 with 0 dollars in my pocket and 0 debt, bachelors degree, 4 years of Muay Thai and ping pong that they offer at the school.
You can be taught by the Tiger Woodses and Michael Jordans of Muay Thai at a legit camp that produces fighters. No fighter comes from a university.

My only alternative that I have came up with that sound promising is taking the 30 day TEFL course in Prague and working there while I complete a degree online.
You would have to indicate further what your interests and goals are.

University of Bangkok

Quote: (08-30-2011 05:03 AM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

Personally, I would forgo the idea about going for a degree here and just enroll in a language school. You could focus on the muay thai, internet marketing, and learning languages. In bigger places like Bangkok, Phuket, and Chiang Mai it's not all that hard to find a school that offers not only Thai but Mandarin as well and possibly even Japanese.

Then, you're having a ball while building language skills - that said, if you plan to ever make the Japanese or Mandarin marketable, I'd probably consider spending some real time in those countries as well get the cultural experience.

Unless you're set on a degree for the degree's sake, of course, but if you're planning on a future in internet marketing and have the means to make it happen, I don't really see the point.

Yeah, I think if he's going to do a degree at all then he should do one with an online/distance ed school in the United States which is accredited.

I would check and see if it is recognized in Taiwan just in case you ever decided to teach there later, as they're the strictest about distance ed degrees. Korea and Japan should be fine, as long as it is a legit distance ed degree and not a diploma mill. In that case you may also be able to apply for student loans (although you have significant assets in a government account) which are at amazing interest rates.

If you are interested in Asian languages and martial arts, consider training Muay Thai and studying Thai for a year, going to China and living at a Wu Shu camp (they also include Chinese lessons for foreigners and living within the Wushu school including training and meals is like $500 per month) and try to request that you study San Da instead of the beautiful but useless martial arts. San Da is like a mix of Muay Thai with throws. Then, if you have any money left you may consider the Kodokan's "Black Belt in a Year" program in Judo. The Kodokan is the world headquarters of Judo, located in Tokyo. This will be the most expensive part of your trip, but you can rent a dormitory within the Kodokan.

I have charted and lived a similar path for myself over the years. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I have fallen in love in Korea and taken myself off that path somewhat ;-)

University of Bangkok

Thank you all for the great responses. I have a lot to chew on.

I'm in love with Japan. The degree would allow me to find work here. A lot of my friends here in Japan started off in english teach positions but are now in jobs that they enjoy. Yes to be successful at internet marketing is my main career goal but I still need a degree to live in Japan.

I thought degree from a Bangok University would be accepted internationally. I will have to look into it more. I'm leaning towards college online after reading the replies.

If you are interested in Asian languages and martial arts, consider training Muay Thai and studying Thai for a year, going to China and living at a Wu Shu camp (they also include Chinese lessons for foreigners and living within the Wushu school including training and meals is like $500 per month) and try to request that you study San Da instead of the beautiful but useless martial arts. San Da is like a mix of Muay Thai with throws. Then, if you have any money left you may consider the Kodokan's "Black Belt in a Year" program in Judo. The Kodokan is the world headquarters of Judo, located in Tokyo. This will be the most expensive part of your trip, but you can rent a dormitory within the Kodokan.

Thank you I'm very interested in this. I will look into it more. I have been looking into online colleges to accompany something like this. All the good programs I have found so far are expensive like Devry and University of Phoenix. American Military University looks has a program I could complete in 3 years if I worked hard enough for 30,000$. I wonder if I could get a tuition loan that I wouldn't have to start paying back until completion of degree. Then I could take my savings to Asia and live a similar path as the one you have outlined for me.

If I was to get low on funds after a couple of years in Thailand studying martial arts, languages, internet marketing, and working towards an online degree I was thinking I can fall back on the 30 day TEFL course in Prague where they hook you up with a job after completion. I could continue to work on the things that I was in Thailand there while making a little bit of income.

I will take more time to think about it and continue to save. I'm in Japan now maybe I wont make the return trip to work because of the typhoon this weekend and I will be in Thailand collecting unemployment.

Thank you for suggestions.[/quote]

University of Bangkok

Thank you for the link youngmobileglobal

Reading into it more. I was researching other schools abroad but have been hearing that it is hard to receive tuition loans for schools abroad. But according to this site maybe not so much.

University of Bangkok

Quote: (08-30-2011 10:59 PM)bo0giemonsta Wrote:  

Thank you for the link youngmobileglobal

Reading into it more. I was researching other schools abroad but have been hearing that it is hard to receive tuition loans for schools abroad. But according to this site maybe not so much.

Yeah, regardless of my post above, youngmobileglobal's link was very intruiging - sent it to my sister. Simon Black from sovereignman really knows his stuff. If I was set on getting a degree, I'd probably follow his advice - do some real research before studying in Thailand universities though.

Most foreigners I know who study here say the education system and teaching style is pretty bad. I think there might be one or two of the top unis that are held in somewhat high esteem, but I don't remember which ones they are. I think one is in Bangkok and the other is near Phuket but don't quote me on it.

I'd personally look into Hong Kong or China - or maybe somewhere in South America like Chile or Argentina.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

University of Bangkok

Fuck no, do not get a fucking university education from Thailand. Thai education in general is pretty horrible and your degree isn't going to be recognized much outside of Thailand, and the Thai's are going to think your weird for having one as a white guy. I had a long term girl friend who was Thai-Canadian, traveled to Thailand with her for a few months, etc so I know what I'm talking about.

University of Bangkok

Quote: (08-30-2011 10:49 PM)bo0giemonsta Wrote:  

Thank you all for the great responses. I have a lot to chew on.

I'm in love with Japan. The degree would allow me to find work here. A lot of my friends here in Japan started off in english teach positions but are now in jobs that they enjoy. Yes to be successful at internet marketing is my main career goal but I still need a degree to live in Japan.

I thought degree from a Bangok University would be accepted internationally.
Wrong.

Thank you I'm very interested in this. I will look into it more. I have been looking into online colleges to accompany something like this. All the good programs I have found so far are expensive like Devry and University of Phoenix. American Military University looks has a program I could complete in 3 years if I worked hard enough for 30,000$. I wonder if I could get a tuition loan that I wouldn't have to start paying back until completion of degree. Then I could take my savings to Asia and live a similar path as the one you have outlined for me.
Google Gary North's low cost colleges.

If I was to get low on funds after a couple of years in Thailand studying martial arts, languages, internet marketing, and working towards an online degree I was thinking I can fall back on the 30 day TEFL course in Prague where they hook you up with a job after completion.
Waste of time and money. Can't get a high paying job without a degree, because you can't be admitted into the countries that pay high amounts like Taiwan, Japan, Korea, etc without a degree from an English speaking country. Anyone can get a job teaching ESL for almost no pay in dump countries, so they're not doing you much of a service by "hooking you up" after taking thousands of your dollars.

University of Bangkok

Quote: (08-30-2011 04:13 PM)Roark Wrote:  

I have charted and lived a similar path for myself over the years. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I have fallen in love in Korea and taken myself off that path somewhat ;-)

I'm intrigued by the Wushu training camps. $500 for housing, language, and martial arts? I could've used this info back in '07 when I was looking for something constructive to do abroad. Do you have any resources for actual schools? Are they close to any good swooping grounds? China isn't the direction I was planning on taking but nothing is set in stone yet.........$500 a month?

University of Bangkok

Bo0giemonsta,
As mentioned by others in here before, studying in Thailand to get a BA may not be the best idea nor that efficient for long term career planning. YMG's post on the sovereign man about studying in other places is good. If you want a BA overseas, consider Hong Kong would be a good place. Great location, awesome networking and an overall amazing experience.

Btw, I'm like you, totally gaga about Japan and my goal is to get there and live there within 2-3 years. You mention your friends who started as english teachers are now doing other jobs they're enjoying. What kind of jobs are they doing? did they get those positions through their existing positions or I'd imagine through their contacts/students? There are I believe ways to stay in Japan without a 4 year degree. Google Working Holiday Visa (WHV) if you're under 30 I believe you'd qualify as long as you're a citizen of either Canada, US, South Africa, NZ/Australia, UK. I was doing some research on living in Japan and came accross this: http://www.keepingpaceinjapan.com/2007/0...-visa.html

All the best and if you manage to stay in Japan without the 4 year degree, share with us how you did it.

Cheers.

University of Bangkok

Quote: (09-05-2011 02:34 AM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

I'm intrigued by the Wushu training camps. $500 for housing, language, and martial arts? I could've used this info back in '07 when I was looking for something constructive to do abroad.
You would live on the school grounds in shared accommodation. Food would probably be provided as well. There would probably be a few thousands young boys aged 4 to twenty something at your school.

Do you have any resources for actual schools?
Haven't researched this for a while, but most of them had crap websites. I would search for study Wu Shu or study Kung Fu or study San Da China.

Are they close to any good swooping grounds?
All of the schools are in the impoverished Henan province, near the original Shaolin Temples. Henan is not too far from Beijing. You of course will not be allowed to bring a female back to the grounds and you would probably be in trouble if they found out you were drinking.

China isn't the direction I was planning on taking but nothing is set in stone yet.........$500 a month?
Could be more now with the recent inflation. Maybe 600 or 650? YTD Chinese pork prices went up 65%. I looked into this a couple years back so with the inflation they're experiencing there prices for foreign trainees would have gone up.

University of Bangkok

Quote: (09-05-2011 01:02 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Bo0giemonsta,
As mentioned by others in here before, studying in Thailand to get a BA may not be the best idea nor that efficient for long term career planning. YMG's post on the sovereign man about studying in other places is good. If you want a BA overseas, consider Hong Kong would be a good place. Great location, awesome networking and an overall amazing experience.
Not if he wants to teach English in Japan though. Majoring in finance, accounting, or economics in Hong Kong would probably provide him with better career opportunities in different fields though.

Here are the rules for Korea, I assume they are similar with Japan's government:

Nationality - All applicants must be citizens and hold a passport from a native English speaking country. The Korean government currently accepts 7 nations in this category.

Canada | U.S.A | U.K. | Ireland | Australia | New Zealand | South Africa

* To qualify, you must have had your education taught, in English, from at least high school level and on through university/college.

University of Bangkok

@Roark- Thanks much for the info. I started another thread as not to hijack this one.

@Bo0giemonsta- Universities of Maryland and Colorado offer undergrad degrees online. Much cheaper and reputable than a for profit. Something to think about. Also, kimleebj is a good resource on the forum for higher learning advice.

University of Bangkok

Also remember education is more than college. For instance a friend of mine who is very rebellious and didn't want to enroll in college sat at home with a Windows computer and self taught himself a ton of Windows system adminstration stuff, took the Microsoft tests, and got pretty high certifications. I wouldn't put that much into windows but you could, for instance, become a Cisco certified engineer of some type in a similar way, once you pass those standardized tests and can figure out exotic networking security etc, degrees mean less.

Another good thing about networking is you have to physically be there to install things, routers, etc-- so they can't outsource your job as easily as with programming.