rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Reykajvik, Iceland - Winter 2017 Edition Datasheet

I spent some time in Reykjavik this past January, and wanted to share some intel to build on what we already have here on the forum. Overall, it was a great trip and I can recommend anyone to visit Iceland at least once. It's a hop, skip and a jump from the states and flight prices are cheap. Supposedly they're trying to cut back on the influx if tourists, but let's see if that turns out to be true or not. I spent a good amount of time with Dantes during the visit, and we generally shared the same opinion on the place that you'll read below:

Overview

Reykjavik is the capital of Iceland, the land of fire and ice, where nearly 93% of the total population resides. The city provides the main access to other parts of the country, mostly via the only international airport on the island located just about 40 minutes from the city center. If you’re coming to Iceland to meet the locals, Reykjavik is where you want to be located for the duration of your trip.

Climate

As you could expect, temperatures in the winter time can be quite cold, especially in the evening with the wind gusts while walking throughout the city. Expect the temperature to hover around between 32-40F (0-7 C) with the normal occurrence of rain. Late spring in to summer is a bit different. Temperatures can be much hotter, and then suddenly you’ll have a drastic change of temperature where it becomes much cooler. Bring some cooler weather clothes with you as well for the summer, to be on the safe side.

Tourist Attractions

Hallgrimskirkja (and the view from the top)
Walk down by the northern part of the city, enjoy views from near the water
Few museums to check out
Recommended day trip – Golden Circle

Logistics

Arriving at Keflavik International Airport, you’ll have a few options to get to the city center:

1.) Shuttle – You can find a link to the FlyBus here which will take you directly to the BSI bus station in Reykjavik which is located roughly 15-20m walking to the city center ($22 one-way), or have them drop you off directly at your location where you are staying (hotel/hostel – $27 one-way). The busses link up with the incoming flight schedules, and you’ll never have an issue catching one.

2.) Taxi – This will provide you with a slightly quicker way to the center, and drop you off at a rental apartment if needed, but comes at a steep price. You’re looking at roughly $140 one-way to get from Keflavik to the city center. Stick with FlyBus when possible, if you’re on a budget.

Important Tip: If you’re planning to go out and want to save some money, be sure to buy some booze at the airport upon arrival from the duty free area. You can take a limited amount with you, but it will be quite a bit cheaper than buying it in the town. There’s also limited liquor stores in Reykjavik, they have certain opening times, and you won’t find booze above 4% in the grocery stores such as 10-11 or Bonus.

As for the city center itself, it’s very walk-able and you can easily snag a place that’s within a few minutes walking distance to the bars and clubs. I’d suggest finding a place within the red circle on the map below, to be located less than a few minutes away from the top clubs for nightlife.

If you’re going out at night, Austurstraeti and Bankastrati streets are where you will be living. I highly recommend taking an apartment, as there’s not many hotels/hostels in the center and this gives you the option to snag a better price by negotiating the apartment rental price.

As far as prices for accommodation, you’ll be looking at anywhere from $150 – $220 per night for a decent place located within the area mentioned above. If you’re outside that area and have to grab a cab, you’re looking at paying around $15-$20 for a few mile/km ride. Taxi drivers are fair, and use a meter. There’s not a high concern here for being ripped off.

Busses do exist, but the city is walkable and if you’re staying inside you most likely won’t be using them.

If you will be heading outside of Reykjavik, I can highly suggest taking a look on Booking.com and their offering. There’s a lack of rentals on AirBnB and other hotel websites in comparison.

Cost

This certainly isn’t Eastern Europe anymore. Prices are high, but won’t be such a shock if you’re coming from another large Western city, such as Paris, London or New York. Here’s a breakdown of what you can expect:

Breakfast (1 person) – $28
Dinner (mid-range 1 person – entry) – $40-$60
Liquor (higher-end bar/club) – 1 shot of vodka ($10-$12)
Beer (higher-end bar/club) – ($8-9)
Cigarettes – $11
Chicken (2.2lbs. / 1kg) – $18
Cheese (2.2lbs / 1kg) – $13
Assorted Fruits (2.2lbs / 1kg) – $3-5

Language

English is widely spoken, and you’ll be hard pressed to find someone who can’t speak it – at least at a good conversational level. Learn a few local words, or ask the locals to teach you a few. It always works to impress a bit if you have two or three in the repertoire.

You’ll also encounter a lot of Europeans (Polish, French, Spanish) working here at hotels, hostels, restaurants, etc. Of course, they speak English as well, but if you want to mix it up and use one of your other languages with them, you’ll most likely get a chance to do so.

Women

Tall, long blonde hair, and perfect skin. What you will see here rivals the likes of other top cities such as Kiev or even Moscow in terms of looks. They might be a bit tougher to find during the day, but once the clock strikes 1AM, the streets will be booming and you’ll see them flocking in herds. You can expect the average girl in the high-end clubs to hover around the 7.5 level on average. Get them while you can – they seem to disappear quickly as you get closer to 5AM and they can barely stand-up any longer after obsessive pre and post-drinking

Although the Icelandic women are a clear winner in the looks category, they don’t seem to shine as impressingly as some of their counterparts when it comes down to their general demeanor. The women can tend to act a bit manly in some aspects. Multiple times, women were noted as spitting a nice hawker and then proceeding to suck down a wine cooler and puffing back another drag on their Marlboro light. You’ll also see them getting a bit aggressive, and even in one case agitating other men by randomly walking up and throwing the bird in their fair, among other slander. They also get blacked out drunk, to the point where they are dropping their drinks and falling all over the place – although this seems to be the general norm for the country and its inhabitants on the weekends.

Online Game

Best chance for online game would be Tinder. There’s some good quality floating around on there, but it can be difficult to match and get them out. Results may vary, as always. Read-on to the next part – but you’re going to want to focus on nightgame during your stay in Reykjavik.

Daygame

This simply isn’t a good spot for daygame. You won’t see many (or really any) targets around during the day. There might be some foreigners floating around from the US, Poland or even Ireland – but let’s be honest, you came here for the Icelandic honeys, didn’t you? As noticed by others, the women can be cold and stiff, until they knock back a few drinks. Even then, the conversation might not be the most pleasant and engaging. If you’re coming, expect to put in the long nights and be hitting the bars/clubs and putting out the coin to play.

There’s supposedly a mall in the city, which would be worth having a look at during the weekend.

Nightlife

This place is a total and utter mess once the night (think 12:30AM or later) rolls around on Friday and Saturday night. It’s a full out war zone. On the streets, glass bottles are heard breaking on every corner, while people in queues are heard drunkenly singing and yelling out at the bouncers to be let in. Although this is true – it’s still safe and you’re unlikely to get in to any altercation with any Icelandic guys it seems. They’re just around to get drunk and stumble over themselves and their buddies. They pose really no threat. Be sure to dress well, and wear a sharp outfit out including a sport coat or a full suit to stand out. At the high-end clubs, you’ll see Icelandic men dressed to the nines, and they do know what they’re doing in that regard.

The night kicks off sometime around 12:30-1:00AM. At this point, you can then expect some of the bars and clubs to start filling up slowly. If you’re going to one of the bigger clubs, be sure to be there and be in the queue earlier. If you get there after 1:30AM, you might be waiting an hour+ or not even getting in depending on the night. If you’re looking to switch venues, you can pop in to the next place easily with less than a 2 minute walk between mostly places. Everything you will need, is located mostly on Laugavegur Street. Your main goal should be to have a look around the venue, chat up some targets and then re-engage them later in the evening around 3:30-4:00AM for the after party move. Have some alcohol back at the spot to keep the party going, and just suggest moving things back to your place which is located less than a minute away door-to-door.

Nightlife lasts until around 5AM when the bars and clubs shut down. Here people will be stumbling out of the club, in dire search for food. You can hit the streets after if you’re still standing, and give it a go to holler at some women. At this time, it’s also work it to have a look at the 10-11 on the main street or the famous hot dog stand (Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur is the name, and I can’t recommend it for food), which will be packed full with people. Here’s a list of recommended places to check-out:

B5 – Smaller club, which is mostly just a dance floor and small bar, where it’s hard to interact. Get’s very packed inside, and can be hard to move around or access the bar. Try the smoking area outside, or head downstairs near the seating area and coat check. This was by far the most popular place on Saturday night when compared to others – people were standing a few rows deep at the steel barriers outside just to get a look and to try to have one of their friends somehow allow them to be granted access. Expect a long queue, if you’re not there early.

Austur – A club similar to B5, where it’s also on the higher-end. This place, along with B5, definitely pulls the highest quality of the city Large bar, outside smoking area in the back and a sizable dance floor. Was quite quiet here on a Friday night around 1AM, so we ended up leaving, but the place does have a nice setup and would be my preference over B5 if it was packed to the brim with people.

Kaldi Bar – Small bar, but seating all around. Quite popular among locals it seems, and can be very packed. A Good spot to start at prior to heading to B5 or Austur later in the evening.

Bar Ananas – Right above Kaldi Bar. Hipsterish vibe, but a good pre-gaming spot for some cheaper beers and shots.

Conclusion

Iceland itself boosts some of the most impressive natural attractions the world has to offer. Reykjavik is a lively city, with good dining and nightlife options, that lacks a bit on the sightseeing side. If you’re coming here for a few days, be sure to hit it on a weekend, so you can go full force on Friday and Saturday nights. When it comes down to it, logistics are key, and you need to lock in a place that’s close to the main street.

Sounds like I finally have a cold weather local that I ought to visit.

You missed the most important part ... did you get the bang/flag?

I had a blast hanging out with Strelka in Iceland. I only had a long weekend in Reykjavik. Strelka stayed a bit longer.

A few impressions to add to the OP.

Iceland has become a huge tourist destination for Americans. Locals were complaining of the influx of tourism and how they feel they are being pushed outside the center with all of the hotels going up. They are also annoyed that they now have to book in advance pools and hot springs because these sites are overrun with tourists.

It is well documented how expensive this city is.

People party hard here and the night scene is solid on the weekend. Night gamers will love this city for a blow out weekend.

It is not great for Daygame. The only people walking around the center seem to be tourists (mixed talent). This is a car culture, not a walking/public transportation culture.

Book your apartment in the center ahead of time. We got stuck with an apartment located about a 30-minute walk to the clubs. We booked last minute and suffered the bad logistics consequences.

I was impressed with the talent on Saturday night at B5. I want to give Reykjavik another crack when the weather is warmer.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Yeah, Iceland is super popular tourist destination. Kinda sucks that there are tourist all over the place.

@Dantes - spot on my friend.

Even I found the tourists annoying, far too many. They are only driving the prices through the roof.

I went in December 2006 and compared to 2011, there was a big difference.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

I want to visit here sometime. I met some Icelandic girls in France during Euro 2016, they were superb friendly. Some of the Icelandic men even told me that Icelandic girls love Italians and they're super easy.

Is there any truth in it about girls being easy for tourists?

^I would say most decent looking guys can do alright there, no matter your background.

Our New Blog:

Quote: (03-14-2017 12:09 PM)Rossi Wrote:  

I want to visit here sometime. I met some Icelandic girls in France during Euro 2016, they were superb friendly. Some of the Icelandic men even told me that Icelandic girls love Italians and they're super easy.

Is there any truth in it about girls being easy for tourists?

I think they girls are used to the tourists by now. Rudeboy and others have noticed a difference over the past few years.

I got complimented quite well on my "Italian looks" by the local girls and my attire. Girls are straight forward about their interest. An older woman (40) in a restaurant directly opened me while Stella and I were seated with 2 other girls. The girls we were with commented something to the effect of" Icelandic girls are very aggressive".

Great up to date datasheet especially with the recent high increase in tourists. Looking to head to Iceland in the next 12-18 months. The blowout weekend while recovering in the 100$ + blue lagoons sounds a blast.

Quote: (03-14-2017 10:46 AM)rudebwoy Wrote:  

@Dantes - spot on my friend.

Even I found the tourists annoying, far too many. They are only driving the prices through the roof.

I went in December 2006 and compared to 2011, there was a big difference.

Sorry, I meant December 2016.

I wish I was there in 2006, I might not have left.

Our New Blog:

I'm come Reykjavík for 3 days July 3-6...... any recent reports ?

I will busy with tourist stuff in the day time but were any places busy mid week since I will be there Mon-Wed.

$140 for a taxi into town... WOW

I went last december, it was so good. If anyone is on the fence about going there, go.

I was in Reykjavik recently for a long weekend and I can confirm the report of Strelka.
Nightlife is awesome! I had one of the best party of my life in B5, all people are totally drunk and really everything could happen in this place, it was so fun to enjoy and participate at the show. There is an invasion of Americans, there are cheap flights with WOW. Local people aren't friendly with tourists because of them. You can see them marching in groups as soldiers, and roaming the streets at 5am on Friday and Saturday, and at 1am during the week stopping all girls with the same pick up line (after party...). A sad show. I envy Roosh being there in 2011, it should have been amazing back then!
Hunting is arduous for local girls, during the day they are cold, being a foreigner and tourist is a big disadvantage, I did some intimate dance with a couple of pretty Icelandic girls but they left when I started speaking in English. Although we had a small plus of not being Americans. The good strategy might be approaching on the streets at the beginning of the night.
Your best bet is with British girls, they come to Iceland for vacation due to the cheap flights from London and are extremely friendly and open for sex. But just don't let them drinking if they start being tipsy!
It's expensive the same like in Switzerland or New York, and I was relieved of not seeing the cheap sex tourists that you can find in EE, you need money to go there and it's not for everyone.

Generally a pleasant experience for the atmosphere and the beauty of the nature, a great and unique place to visit!

I heard from few people that it's really expensive. Is it really?

Beer: 10eur
Cocktail in a bar/club: 15/20eur
Average meal at restaurant: 40/50eur
Average apartment for 2 persons: 90eur/person for night
Tour/visiting around: from 90eur minimum each one

The best solution is buying some booze in the duty free of your country of departure, or at least in the one at Keflavik. With two bottles of vodka brought in the duty free of EE for a total 10eur expense we were fine for the weekend. As for food, try going to Bonus which has average European prices and cook your own food.
My suggestion if there is good weather is going to the Reykjavik beach (it is near the national airport), you can get there by walking, and you can have good time with some warm water installation, plus you can go into the ocean if you are really brave. It is cheap and way less people than Blue Lagoon!

As you can see it is not EE or SEA, but this is positive since you haven't cheap tourists that disturb dressed like homeless and who approach all girls, except for the horny Americans who are really annoying. It is a place for people that can afford it.

Great datasheet.

I don't want to come off as a hater, because Im not, but I never got the appeal of Iceland. It has a tiny population in a semi remote location and it seems like its best days are long gone from the Roosh era. No one has really mentioned there actual recent hook ups there, plus its very expensive.

I know Icelandic women can be attractive but are they more attractive than Swedes and Norwegians?
What does Iceland have to offer over similar expensive Scandinavian countries like Norway or Sweden that have a much larger population?

"I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not trying. Everyday hit every wave, like I'm Hawaiian"

Good report .

I went to Iceland about three years ago to basically follow in roosh's footsteps ( bang Iceland ) .

Agree with all that's been said . Few notes :

Don't bother with weekdays

I got an apartment on the street opposite b5 ,
Good logistics .

Dress well

Buy cigarettes in the airport and make it rain with them .. smokes are super expensive there

It's true ... ignore any mention of boyfriends and plough on through.

Had girls telling me everyone is in a relationship but everyone ( girls ) cheat . + 1 for foreigners

Got 1 flag in three nights of heavy boozing . Nearly got a second . Drunken game + tight logistics is key .

If you dress well and look stand out a bit you'll get noticed . I had lots of people talking to me .. I ran semi baller game. ( nice watch , shirt etc )

You'll be hungover during the day .

Tiny city

Basically rinse and repeat BANG ICELAND ..worked for me but that was a few years ago now .

Ps. Looks wise you've got everything from 10s to 5s .. again , read up bang Iceland .
My bang was a 7.5 but a lot younger than me [Image: biggrin.gif]

Quote: (06-11-2017 01:50 PM)azulsombra Wrote:  

Great datasheet.

I don't want to come off as a hater, because Im not, but I never got the appeal of Iceland. It has a tiny population in a semi remote location and it seems like its best days are long gone from the Roosh era. No one has really mentioned there actual recent hook ups there, plus its very expensive.

I know Icelandic women can be attractive but are they more attractive than Swedes and Norwegians?
What does Iceland have to offer over similar expensive Scandinavian countries like Norway or Sweden that have a much larger population?

The woman are on par with the other Scandinavian countries.

The country is beautiful and it has a special charm.

For those going from North America to Europe, it is the perfect stop over to catch something different.

I have been 3 times and always enjoyed myself, I would like to return one last time to see the glaciers and the black beach.

Our New Blog:

Been more then a month since I came got from from Iceland and although it was a non-gaming trip it was still awesome to see some hot blondes working in landscaping or even a security guards at the airport....reminds in that sense of first time to Ukraine.

As my local buddy was telling me many of the girls are from Poland now as the economy is booming which is bringing immigration from there and other places.

There are cranes all over the capital as there is a building boom going on which only serve to increase prices more as tourism is taking over and Summer is peak time.

Definitely a return visit is in store for Iceland. It was funny to run into a guy who in Kiev back in 2013 as the same time as me.

Reykjavik is consistently one of the cheapest place in Europe to reach from my place. As mentioned, accommodation is the problem on the wallet. Not seeing any hostels or anything on Airbnb reasonable for the shoestring traveler. I've had an Iceland fascination for years, and it seems to be a popular place for men from random countries to target the women. I'd go this year if I could find some cheap room, and direct game the living hell out of that country

Quote: (08-12-2017 02:31 PM)LoveBug Wrote:  

Reykjavik is consistently one of the cheapest place in Europe to reach (at 300 dollars) from my place. As mentioned, accommodation is the problem on the wallet. Not seeing any hostels or anything on Airbnb reasonable for the shoestring traveler. I've had an Iceland fascination for years, and it seems to be a popular place for men from random countries to target the women. I'd go this year if I could find some cheap room, and direct game the living hell out of that country

My buddy gets some decent bangs from Couch-surfing due to the high prices since a hostel can be like $100 despite a cheap airfare into the country.

Many people get free stop over on way the back to Europe or coming back from North America.

WOW Giacomo! thats somewhat disappointing news ! I passed through the Airport on my way to England earlier this year, but I was planning on going back in September to see the country itself, but it sounds like Iceland has become kind of a hit or miss, when it comes to the women ,now that the tourism is through the roof. I was hoping to meet some of the Icelandic women and having a good time, not so sure now.

Yes, Iceland has become one of the top "cool" touristic destination in the last years. They were able to achieve a huge surplus in the balance of payments due to the tourism. But it starts to have the same problem of towns like Venice and Barcelona, overrun by tourists. The island itself is huge but Reykjavik is the only big city where everyone is going to stay. Accomodation prices are crazy, even more expensive than Switzerland.
I would like to come back as well to visit Blue Lagoon (we were told that there is a 2 month waiting list, so we would have needed to book in advance) and possibly the beaches in the South; and of course for game purposes I would like to give it another try. Probably the best month to go for hunting purposes is January or February, when you may expect less tourists.