rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How to equalize arm/leg strength

Lately I've been having a problem with bench press where I can feel that my right arm is stronger than the left one and it's pushing the bar out of balance (right arm leading and pushing towards the middle).

Same thing with squats, but here my left leg is the (much) stronger one.

Any advice how to correct this? Should I do one-leg presses and one-arm presses on the machine (or with dumbbells) until it corrects itself or persist in the classical exercises?

Thanks.

Assuming no injury or mobility issue on one side, this is just a technique problem. You'll have to consciously focus on keeping the bar balanced until you can do it without thinking.

Lower the weight and push steady with both limbs.

I had the same problem for the longest time with my left arm. I'd get too greedy with the weight and I'd start pushing more than I should, then I'd injure my shoulder.

Fact is, one arm/leg is going to be stronger than the other. Be patient and let the other limb catch up.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Mind muscle connection.

As you're lifting, focus all your energy in your weak side and keeping it in line. That will cause you to push with that side harder and over time you will balance out.

When I do exercises that involve a single bar and two very independent muscles, like an ez bar curl, I focus on one side for a full up down rep then the other side for the next up down. Helps keep my body symmetrical.

And for bench. Try switching to dumbbell flat bench. It's done wonders for my strength and size recently

If you can't do any better, you've settled. --me--