rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Anyone ever use the G.I Bill overseas?

I'm heavily considering using my G.I bill to pay for school in either Prague or some Polish city. Does anyone here have experience doing this type of thing? I'm about to apply to some schools but I'm not too sure about the whole process with foreign schools, and my local aid on the G.I bill wasn't really any help. I think this would be an awesome way to live overseas!

Thanks.

Waste of money and you'll get a degree that may not be accepted.

My advice is rent a room in Denver. Should be fairly cheap -- then you'll have about 1500 a month BAH payment to live on.

Then apply to one of the community colleges belonging to CCConline. Front range, CCD, RED Rocks, Arapahoe Comm, etc.. there is about 12 of them and they all use the same classes. Sign up for your CCConline classes, as part of the original campus, not solely going to an online school, because your transcripts will never reflect whether you took them online or in campus. Do two years this way using My lab Kit and the online portal. After two years you'll have instate tuition and then transfer to Univ of Colorado or Metro or another (WUE) university on the west coast and do the same with whatever upper level classes they offer. I did this and got my degree while living in Colombia and Brazil. I took all my classes online, physics, chemistry, organic chem, genetics, bio-chem, statistics, Anatomy , Kinesology, psychology, ethics. etc. None which were reflected on my transcripts as online because the class was part of the school and the numbers following the class are the same as in house, example (Chem 1001-001)

If you lack all integrity, you can buy the answers to your online test from one of those sketchy McGraw Hill textbook website sites in Russia and also pay those Indian kids on the Chegg.com homework section about 10 cents to solve the homework problems for you and show their work. And on a side note when searching for an answer for a quiz, it's 30 times faster searching keywords in a downloaded pirated pdf than using the actual textbook.

Overall, it's a great way to get a degree while traveling the world, without learning shit. However, if you are too dumb to cheat properly, you're going to be found out and expelled -- like for example finishing a 100 question test in 3 minutes and scoring 100% while the bell curve resembles 59% for the rest of the class. That's when street smarts come into play, which many people lack.

Another things to note, is if you're trying to do all these classes in prep of med school, you're going to be in some serious trouble when you sit for the MCAT.

Indeed, my main concern is that the degree I get (Economics or International Business) will be "worthless". Though my goal is to stay in Europe permanently so I'm thinking maybe getting a degree there will allow me to stay there for the long haul. I just can't see anywhere in the U.S being a substitute for the life I'll have in Central Europe. I don't want to be miserable over the next 4 years.

Also, the G.I bill is always instate tuition and you don't get full BAH if you're only doing online courses.

A degree in International Business is worthless, that's why all the officers in the Army have internal business degrees -- unable to get jobs.

Quote: (03-01-2017 08:49 PM)LINUX Wrote:  

A degree in International Business is worthless, that's why all the officers in the Army have internal business degrees -- unable to get jobs.

Right, but I'd pursue a masters in something business related so it may not be totally worthless. Or I might try to be a digital nomad by doing online work of sorts and try to get out of the 8-5 lifecycle....I believe that's the ultimate goal that everyone aspires to achieve. Just gotta figure out what.

Stick to STEM.

I did electrical engineering and employment prospects are good. But looking back I should have done computer engineering or computer science. Gives you the STEM respect but also high employment opportunities with a variety of roles depending on employer.

One caveat, which I highly recommend: If you go the CC route, Do Not use your GI Bill your first year. Just in case you end up in remedial classes or classes that may not transfer to your State Uni. The second half of your first year is when I would get the ball rolling on your GI Bill. Then you have your ducks in a row when you begin your 2nd year at the CC and you start to receive a nice monthly check.

Now you have one year of CC with hopefully 3/4+ of classes that will transfer and go towards your undergrad, and now you have 4 full years of your GI Bill to complete your degree.

The first year will suck paying out of pocket, but it will be worth the short-term pain.

Quote: (03-02-2017 06:20 AM)Monty_Brogan Wrote:  

One caveat, which I highly recommend: If you go the CC route, Do Not use your GI Bill your first year. Just in case you end up in remedial classes or classes that may not transfer to your State Uni. The second half of your first year is when I would get the ball rolling on your GI Bill. Then you have your ducks in a row when you begin your 2nd year at the CC and you start to receive a nice monthly check.

Now you have one year of CC with hopefully 3/4+ of classes that will transfer and go towards your undergrad, and now you have 4 full years of your GI Bill to complete your degree.

The first year will suck paying out of pocket, but it will be worth the short-term pain.

You can contact the big state university and straight up ask them if they will accept credits from said community college. Any admissions department worth its salt will let you know immediately what credits are transferable.

There's no point in taking classes that don't count for credit towards a degree.

Quote: (03-02-2017 07:04 AM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

You can contact the big state university and straight up ask them if they will accept credits from said community college. Any admissions department worth its salt will let you know immediately what credits are transferable.

There's no point in taking classes that don't count for credit towards a degree.

You aren't getting what I'm saying.

If he was in the military, there's a good chance that he may need to brush up on things -e.g., If you don't test into college level math, you will have to take a remedial math class at the CC before you take college level math.

You need to take a math and English test at damn near every CC to determine where you will start out. And the point I was making, was you're wasting precious GI bill credits IF you have to take remedial classes your first year.

You're correct in thinking beast doesn't quite get what he is talking about in this instance. CC cred8ts are fairly cheap and your GI bill is worth money. You'll also have the chance to remove most the basic gen ed credits that would be a waste of your time in United.

Unless your main goal is to get out of the country and learn a language with your GI bill Linux is correct in saying don't go abroad with it.

Also keep in mind schools have study abroad programs if you want a 1 year sabbatical from real studies. This is also where having community college credits would help pad your GI bill usage.

I suggest researching what schools have sister schools in the areas you want to go and consider what studying abroad could do for you as well.

Quote: (03-02-2017 06:14 PM)Monty_Brogan Wrote:  

Quote: (03-02-2017 07:04 AM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

You aren't getting what I'm saying.

If he was in the military, there's a good chance that he may need to brush up on things -e.g., If you don't test into college level math, you will have to take a remedial math class at the CC before you take college level math.

You need to take a math and English test at damn near every CC to determine where you will start out. And the point I was making, was you're wasting precious GI bill credits IF you have to take remedial classes your first year.

Ah, that makes sense. My bad!

To your question, I think you can use your GI bill for many international schools. (https://www.usnews.com/education/best-gl...y-overseas)

If I'm not mistaken, if it has a FAFSA code you can use your GI bill for it.

Insofar as universities, there are some foreign programs, esp graduate programs, that are looked upon well in the United States. For example, Bocconi University in Milan, INSEAD in France.

Another option, if you want an American degree and live abroad, is go to U.S. universities that have branches/agreements abroad: NYU in Abu Dhabi, San Diego State University in Georgia, University of Houston in Kiev, Ukraine.

Quote: (03-01-2017 07:56 PM)LINUX Wrote:  

Waste of money and you'll get a degree that may not be accepted.

My advice is rent a room in Denver. Should be fairly cheap -- then you'll have about 1500 a month BAH payment to live on.

Then apply to one of the community colleges belonging to CCConline. Front range, CCD, RED Rocks, Arapahoe Comm, etc.. there is about 12 of them and they all use the same classes. Sign up for your CCConline classes, as part of the original campus, not solely going to an online school, because your transcripts will never reflect whether you took them online or in campus. Do two years this way using My lab Kit and the online portal. After two years you'll have instate tuition and then transfer to Univ of Colorado or Metro or another (WUE) university on the west coast and do the same with whatever upper level classes they offer. I did this and got my degree while living in Colombia and Brazil. I took all my classes online, physics, chemistry, organic chem, genetics, bio-chem, statistics, Anatomy , Kinesology, psychology, ethics. etc. None which were reflected on my transcripts as online because the class was part of the school and the numbers following the class are the same as in house, example (Chem 1001-001)

If you lack all integrity, you can buy the answers to your online test from one of those sketchy McGraw Hill textbook website sites in Russia and also pay those Indian kids on the Chegg.com homework section about 10 cents to solve the homework problems for you and show their work. And on a side note when searching for an answer for a quiz, it's 30 times faster searching keywords in a downloaded pirated pdf than using the actual textbook.

Overall, it's a great way to get a degree while traveling the world, without learning shit. However, if you are too dumb to cheat properly, you're going to be found out and expelled -- like for example finishing a 100 question test in 3 minutes and scoring 100% while the bell curve resembles 59% for the rest of the class. That's when street smarts come into play, which many people lack.

Another things to note, is if you're trying to do all these classes in prep of med school, you're going to be in some serious trouble when you sit for the MCAT.

Don't all veterans rate instate tuition in all 50 states?

Quote: (03-01-2017 06:49 PM)exitus Wrote:  

I'm heavily considering using my G.I bill to pay for school in either Prague or some Polish city. Does anyone here have experience doing this type of thing? I'm about to apply to some schools but I'm not too sure about the whole process with foreign schools, and my local aid on the G.I bill wasn't really any help. I think this would be an awesome way to live overseas!

Thanks.

Completed 4yrs Active in the U.S. Army. I'm using my GI Bill to go to Uni here in China. Doing a BA in Chinese Lang. and Lit. Already have a B.A. from back in the US. Right now, the tuition hasn't been paid because the school is ass dragging on the VA from (22-8794) which is supposed to be filled out by the school's certifying official.

For the moment, the school has approved me for deferred tuition payment, so I can go to class now.

Please feel free to PM me, and I'll help you as best I can. Still learning the process myself so be patient with me.