rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Travel Cameras

Travel Cameras

Gents.

I am looking for some good recommendations on travel cameras.

Basically a camera that is not too big (can be held with one hand), but at the same time capable of taking some really good pictures, and can be also used with other accessories such as a tripod.

Would appreciate the help.

Travel Cameras

I'm not the best guy to respond to this. I've been to 23 countries and never taken one photo.

But my last trip down south, I went caving with a guy that had a Go Pro. I saw his videos afterwards and they were pretty goddamn nice. Some little plastic, waterproof thingie he wore on the side of his helmet.

Travel Cameras

I use a Gopro

Travel Cameras

I have seen the exceptional quality of videos taken with GoPro Hero cameras. But would a GoPro be a good choice for pictures?

Travel Cameras

GoPro cameras leave a weird fisheye effect on pictures. If you're taking shots of anything straight, like buildings, it's going to look weird as hell.

I'm buying a Google Pixel next month. The camera is incredible.

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.

Travel Cameras

When I bought mine last year the smallest high quality camera was a Sony A6000. It has a newer model now which I know nothing about. It's not small enough to fit in your pocket but it's still small compared to other cameras and you can change lenses if you want. I think in general most mirrorless cameras will be the smallest. If you have a fancy lens the lens will not be smaller.

Travel Cameras

I use a GoPro, my phone camera, and a Canon EOS 7D mark II when I travel. The Canon is a little big but it's got a magnesium body and can take a beating. If you throw a 50mm prime lens on there and remove the strap, it's bulky but not prohibitively so. Kind of expensive though.

A couple of my friends take a GoPro Hero Session (the small one) on a selfie stick when they travel. To take photos, they just put it on time lapse and let it snap a few shots over the course of ten or twenty seconds. The advantages are that it's small, inexpensive, charges the same way as many cell phones, and is waterproof.

Travel Cameras

Samsung galaxy s7. Makes great photos, can be carried around autobrushes your face on selfies.

I am not affiliated with Samsung [Image: smile.gif]

There is a bunch of selfie sticks/tripods on the market for phones.

Travel Cameras

Quote: (02-13-2017 05:22 AM)Patriarch Wrote:  

GoPro cameras leave a weird fisheye effect on pictures. If you're taking shots of anything straight, like buildings, it's going to look weird as hell.

I'm buying a Google Pixel next month. The camera is incredible.

You can remove the fish eye in the gopro app

Travel Cameras

Quote: (02-13-2017 10:40 AM)Vinny Wrote:  

Samsung galaxy s7. Makes great photos, can be carried around autobrushes your face on selfies.

I am not affiliated with Samsung [Image: smile.gif]

I can see this phone having a tremendous camera however isn't it the one that catches on fire? If this is the same phone then some airlines ban you from traveling with them.

Travel Cameras

Quote: (02-13-2017 12:42 AM)FretDancer Wrote:  

Gents.

Hey Fret,

Photography is one of my serious interests, and I'd be glad to help in any way.

Before getting into specifics, it might be worthwhile to get a sense of your budget for this purchase. There is no right or wrong number, but having some sense of how much you would be interested in spending would help to make better recommendations.

I own and use a GoPro, but would not recommend it if your goal is to capture the best still images. It is primarily a sports/action video camera that has the ability to capture stills.

For example, the Fuji X100t is an excellent near pro-quality small camera that meets your criteria, but at $1300US, may be more than you are interested in spending.

A general idea of your price range will yield better suggestions.

Bone

Travel Cameras

I have a problem. I got a new dual sim phone which is absolutely brilliant, perfect for me in all uses, except for taking photos and videos. The camera is just shit and given how impressive all the other specs are, it baffles me. But here I am: I don't want to get a new phone, so I need a separate camera which can take good quality still pictures and take good quality videos. Main uses: travel; filming approaches; filming bangs; making music videos. I don't need amazing quality or the best on the market, just something decent and reliable for a reasonable price.

Travel Cameras

Sony RX 100 mk5 (or mk3/mk4 used)
[Image: sony%20sdrx100m5%20cyber-shot%20dsc-rx10...p;mode=pad]

Probably the best point and shoot camera available. High MP count, large sensor, pop up viewfinder, great high quality zeiss lens with a nice range. Exceptional video quality, probably the number one camera used by vloggers. This would be my #1 pick, I'd save money and buy the mkiii used on ebay for $400-450.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1...8045322040

Canon G5X
[Image: canonpowershots_05.jpeg]

Very similar to the sony above (same sensor and a lot of the same tech) but a little bigger, more geared towards enthusiast photographers.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1...amera.html

Panasonic LX100
[Image: LX100_21.jpeg]

Again, similar to the others above, great lens, great sensor and image quality, Leica lens, probably the best video quality of all point and shoots,bigger but more control and refinement then the others. Cheaper used on ebay then the others.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1...amera.html

If you dont care about getting the best image quality in a small package, dont care about having a viewfinder, or the latest technology, there are tons of good used cameras on ebay.

Sony rx100 mk1 and mk2
Panasonic LX5 / LX7
Any Canon Powershot (S110 go for like $100) made in the last 5 years.

And you can always just use your cell phone, I am traveling now and thats what I'm using even though I'm kicking myself for not bringing my good camera.

Travel Cameras

Great timing as in I'm looking for a medium level camera.

Friends have suggested the Sony Mirrorless lines of the A6300 or higher cameras.

This would be my first high quality camera.

I like taking pictures of landscapes (wide angle) and probably will take portrait type pics.

What do you guys think of the A6300 ?

Travel Cameras

Quote: (02-13-2017 11:55 AM)Skank_Hunt Wrote:  

I have a problem. I got a new dual sim phone which is absolutely brilliant, perfect for me in all uses, except for taking photos and videos. The camera is just shit and given how impressive all the other specs are, it baffles me. But here I am: I don't want to get a new phone, so I need a separate camera which can take good quality still pictures and take good quality videos. Main uses: travel; filming approaches; filming bangs; making music videos. I don't need amazing quality or the best on the market, just something decent and reliable for a reasonable price.

lol...RFV men are the best men [Image: thumb.gif]

As noted above, budget is a major factor, but here are a couple of small reasonably affordable options. Disclosure - I don't own either of these models, but do own an older, several generations-ago Panasonic Lumix which still does great work.

Sony DSCWX350
Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS50S

In short, modern photographic gear is awesome. Stay with the major brands - Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, choose according to your budget and you won't go wrong. Most online vendors offer generous return policies, so your risk is minimal. Buy, try, and then return if necessary. YMMV depending upon geographical location.

Any more specific questions, I'll be glad to try and help.

Bone

Travel Cameras

Invest in a high end phone - latest iphone, samsung, google pixel or Xperia. That way you are not carrying around 2 items.

Travel Cameras

Nowadays it's not worth it to buy a standalone camera if it's not a professional one. Instead of buying a consumer camera better invest that money into a good phone. If you really want a camera, get something like a Sony a7-Series one. And don't forget that it's necessary to invest a lot into lenses too.

Travel Cameras

Those two are more expensive than my phone :/

One thing about phones that is good is the front facing camera, you can take pictures with girls and see it as you're taking it. And the video is good quality as well. This is on my old smartphone that was less than $100. Upgraded my phone to a slightly more expensive dual sim but the camera is so shit it may as well not exist. I think all their budget went to other features and impressive system specs.

I might have to just use my old phone as a camera. I used to get those cheap car key and chewing gum spy cams to film approaches and other... stuff ... but the quality is obviously bad. Offset by the fact that they cost like 10 bucks and were absolutely tiny. A combination of old phone + cheap spy cams for approaches is probably my best solution. I'm not looking to take Ultra ultra ultra HD panoramic breathtaking views of fucking Machu Picchu so I don't need extremely high resolution just decent quality. I will leave the amazing photography for the tourists.

Travel Cameras

1. Low effort, good pics, good price, can take a beating, wide angle photos and video: GoPro

2. Practical, low effort, good pics: good cellphone camera (i.e. iPhone)

3. Hobbyist photographer: point and shoot camera or cheap mirrorless with cheap lens

4. Serious hobbyist photographer: Canon or Nikon DSLR with good zoom lens or higher end mirrorless with good lens

If you are going from cheap mirrorless forward, put into your budget that a good lens (versatile, light, sharp, good aperture, resistent) will likely cost you more than the camera. Good glass beats good camera/sensor and can still be used if you switch cameras from the same maker, so don't overlook it.

[Image: upgrade-camera-vs-upgrade-lens-2.jpg]

Good Wired article on the subject: https://www.wired.com/2014/06/hi-lo-dslr-lenses/

Travel Cameras

I found some used A7ii's for about $1000 on craigslist, I might pull the trigger on one of those.

Then invest in some good glass for them.

I've always loved using my go pro, it's a 5 tool player since I do alot of action shots and active stuff.

Travel Cameras

^ The Alpha is a very good camera, I know a pro who uses it.

The downside is that there aren't many lenses for it - at least not compared to the wide selection you'd get with a Nikon or Canon. A good zoom lens like the 24-70mm f4 will cost you more than 1k new; the 24-70mm f2.8 2k+.

Some people say you should start with a fixed lens to develop your photography game and rely on skill rather than equipment - as in, you have to get close or far using your feet rather than your zoom, the lack of versatility makes you improvise, and so on.

Personally I think the zoom is best because since you'll be dropping some cash on it, there's no point in handicapping yourself. Plus, you'll generally only need to carry one lens.

Another thing to consider is that, although a bit smaller than a DSLR, a mirrorless like the Alpha will still have a proeminent lens pointing out the front. This calls for attention.

The good attention: people want you to photograph them; they see you with a serious camera so they think you're serious even if you suck; girls will hit you up asking you to send them the pics.

The bad attention: more likely to get robbed; more invasive towards subjects; might be asked not to photograph at certain spots; more likely to disrupt a scene you'd like to capture (people change when they see a camera).

I have a Canon 60D and walk around with a 24-105mm f4 lens (I have a 40mm and an 85mm for portraits). The body and main lens are both insured so I walk around with them worry free.

It's a good combo if you are a serious photography and video enthusiast, although definitely on the bulkier end.

Travel Cameras

I was turned onto the A7II by a friend who had some amazing shots, not a pro photographer but definitely educated me on things.

This will be my first professional camera, but I'll more than likely be shooting more on manual mode to get accustomed.

From what he told me there's plenty of lenses now, and you can always get an adapter to put other brand lenses on one.

How did you get insurance on your gear ? Did you get it through Canon ?

PS is http://www.refinedsauvagerie.tumblr.com your own portfolio ?

Travel Cameras

Quote: (02-13-2017 05:21 PM)kaotic Wrote:  

I was turned onto the A7II by a friend who had some amazing shots, not a pro photographer but definitely educated me on things.

This will be my first professional camera, but I'll more than likely be shooting more on manual mode to get accustomed.

From what he told me there's plenty of lenses now, and you can always get an adapter to put other brand lenses on one.

How did you get insurance on your gear ? Did you get it through Canon ?

PS is http://www.refinedsauvagerie.tumblr.com your own portfolio ?

I'm aware of the adapter but I never looked into it. If it's just a mount adapter it should be fine although it will probably mess with the aperture control. If there's any glass involved there will probably be some blurriness or aberration because it's one more thing the light will have to go through before hitting the sensor (just like having a shitty filter on the front).

The gear insured is worth about 7k BRL (US$2.2K) and the 1-year international insurance (robbery/accidental drop or damage) was US$130. Just Google "camera insurance" and get a quote - I'm insured by a local company specialized in electronics and other objects.

I paid much less than 7k for it since I bought it second hand so if I got robbed, I'd actually make a profit. Still I highly recommend you get one if you buy a camera, it gives you peace of mind.

The tumblr is just a scrapbook of shit I think is cool. I love looking at it - it gets me pumped.

Travel Cameras

Great input guys.

I have been using iPhone (currently have an iPhone 6) to take pictures in my travels for years. I can manage to get some good pictures if I am capturing things not so far.

However the reason I am considering a camera is because I am trying to capture better landscapes and obtain better zooms. Also sometimes it is difficult to to get steady shots with an iPhone since I do not have any accessories like sticks and that kind of stuff. I am kind of old fashioned in that sense.

Quote: (02-13-2017 11:50 AM)BoneDaddy Wrote:  

Quote: (02-13-2017 12:42 AM)FretDancer Wrote:  

Gents.

Hey Fret,

Photography is one of my serious interests, and I'd be glad to help in any way.

Before getting into specifics, it might be worthwhile to get a sense of your budget for this purchase. There is no right or wrong number, but having some sense of how much you would be interested in spending would help to make better recommendations.

I own and use a GoPro, but would not recommend it if your goal is to capture the best still images. It is primarily a sports/action video camera that has the ability to capture stills.

For example, the Fuji X100t is an excellent near pro-quality small camera that meets your criteria, but at $1300US, may be more than you are interested in spending.

A general idea of your price range will yield better suggestions.

Bone

Good point and well said about the GoPro.

Since this would probably be my first "serious" camera acquisition, I am aiming on something somewhere around $300-$500. $1300USD sounds like a huge investment and risk that I am not willing to take for now, but I could consider it in the future once I start experimenting with more cameras.

Travel Cameras

Great thread. My wife has a decent point and shoot but we've been running into issues with it.

I'm seriously considering investing in a professional digital camera with a couple of good lenses. Obviously learn how to use it. I find myself getting stuck in ruts with crappy cameras. My budget is $800, but if something worthwhile appears in the $1000 range I might consider it too.

Suggestions welcome!