rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

After Charles Schwab, what's the next best travel debit card for Americans?

So Charles Schwab wouldn't let me open a checking account from abroad, and since I won't be back in America anytime soon, I have to seek out another checking account option. I currently have Bank of America, which charges obscene fees (ATM fees, % foreign transaction fees). What other debit cards would you recommend for traveling nomads? Thanks!

(Also trust me, I argued my ass off over the phone with several employees at Charles Schwab - couldn't do anything about it.)

EDIT- I've found these but unsure if they're legit/hiding any other (hidden) fees:
https://www.fidelity.com/cash-management/atm-debit-card (no ATM fees, just 1% foreign transaction fee) https://www.firstrepublic.com/personal/c...e-checking (no ATM fees, unsure what foreign transaction fee is)

I use Schwab but I checked wallet hub for some alternatives. Perhaps one of these will work for you: https://wallethub.com/debit-cards/no-for...ction-fee/

Capital One 360 checking has free international ATM withdrawals and you can open an account online from abroad.

I thought U.S. banks will require you be present in a branch to open an account or to sign to open because of patriot act.

Thanks guys, will check out 360

Do you have a US address and a US based Google voice number? If you provide them with that they'll open an account for you.

Just make sure the address is set up to forward to your foreign address.

Use the search function.

thread-50942...edit+cards

Quote: (02-03-2017 03:13 AM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

Do you have a US address and a US based Google voice number? If you provide them with that they'll open an account for you.

Just make sure the address is set up to forward to your foreign address.

To add to this, one mail forwarding service I've been happily using for the past 1.5 years is US Global Mail - $15/month. PM me for a referral link to get one month free.

I sent op a pm solution for schwab let me know if you don't get it.

Anyone use a forwarding service that does check deposits for you? I signed up for Earth Mail but they wouldn't do it without a credit check and due to identity theft I have my credit frozen.

Quote: (02-03-2017 12:20 PM)Shimmy Wrote:  

Anyone use a forwarding service that does check deposits for you? I signed up for Earth Mail but they wouldn't do it without a credit check and due to identity theft I have my credit frozen.

Why don't you deposit them online? Many banks now allow you to deposit through an app or even upload the check images through their site.

Quote: (02-03-2017 03:44 PM)newgame Wrote:  

Quote: (02-03-2017 12:20 PM)Shimmy Wrote:  

Why don't you deposit them online? Many banks now allow you to deposit through an app or even upload the check images through their site.

For Charles Schwab and chase you need the check to take a picture of the app and if it's not perfect it wont work. I will look into banks that will take scans as all mail forwarding places can scan things.

edit: Looks like chase does it now. This will make things 10x easier, thanks great advice.

Did you managed to use the Texan address to establish Texan residence, 262?

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.

^ Haven't had a need to yet, it turns out.