rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The big skinny- I want to gain weight and kick it up a notch

I haven't weighed myself in a long time. My normal weight always hovered around 165 lbs (still very skinny at that weight). I was recently on a trip and weighed myself and was shocked to see my weight has fallen to 145 lbs. I am very tall which puts my BMI in the low 16s. I have always been skinny and have a high metabolism, but this is just too low.

My current diet consist of -

Heaping portions of steamed veggies (broccoli cauliflower, cabbage)

Big portions of wild game with fat from the animal (all self harvested and self processed, as clean and pure as it gets)

Almond butter

Apple, some other dried fruits (no sugar added)

Quinoa maybe 2x a week

Water

Nothing else, that is it. Very simple diet with no bullshit or junk. Access to food is difficult where I live.

For exercise I mostly do hiking / walk everywhere and light body workouts at home (no gym available).

Any thoughts on what I can do to kick it up a notch and gain some weight? Should I change anything / add anything?

Do Greyskull LP and start eating a shitload of rice, oatmeal, and potatoes. Cheap.

Your problem is that you likely don't eat enough calories and you definitely don't eat enough carbs to gain weight.

[Image: greyskull-lp-arms-plugin.jpg]

If you're reasonably lean, then your diet really isn't a bad thing. It will make it that much easier to lift some weights and bulk up without turning into a fat fuck Refrigeratorsaurus.

edit: I just noticed in your post where it says that you don't have any access to a gym.

As far as a home gym is concerned, get a copy of this book.

[Image: nevergymlesstest.jpg]

and then start working out with a sandbag, a homemade chinup bar and whatever odd objects and other assorted bodyweight stuff. Weighted dips and chins are great, anyone can build a dip station and a pullup bar. Adding weight is as easy as filling a backpack full of shit and those two exercises will hit your upper body just fine.

For lower body work, you have to get a bit more creative. One legged squats (weighted and unweighted), hill sprints, and pushing your car around work legs fine. You can try lifting odd objects but it depends on how much you like replacing long sleeves shirts in order to pick up rocks and shit.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Lift heavy and drink as much milk as possible

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Eat carbs (rice/potatoes/pasta) with every meal

Your an ectomorph, you have to figure out exactly what your eating in terms of macros, "heaping portions" isn't enough.

Track your macros for the next week, eat exactly the way you've been but figure what that breaks down as so you can make adjustments. You need to be in a caloric surplus.

From there any basic strength training program should get you going.

I am a big proponent of making one simple change to my diet whenever I want to lose or gain weight. It makes complying with your new diet very easy.

If I want to put on weight, I start drinking heavy smoothies in the morning - Whole milk, 2 scoops of whey, banana, a few tbsp of peanut butter, and some oats.

That smoothie alone is about 600 calories - you'll gain about a pound of bodyweight per week assuming you are eating at maintenance now.

Quote: (11-29-2016 11:33 AM)redonion Wrote:  

I am a big proponent of making one simple change to my diet whenever I want to lose or gain weight. It makes complying with your new diet very easy.

This x10.

Simple works and is generally best.

Here is a list of how to build your own homemade gym equipment.

You'd have pretty much all your bases covered with a pullup bar and a heavy sandbag.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

OP, how tall are you? I put in your weight and played around with the height in a BMI calculator and you would have to be 6'7" to have a BMI around 16. That sounds dangerously skinny. I'm 5'11" and my lean body mass is around 145.

I'm obviously not a medical or health professional so take my advice and everyone else's with a grain of salt, but you need to start adding some calories to your diet. Download My Fitness Pal or get a Fitbit and start tracking how many calories you are eating and how many you need to gain weight. You could go on the beer and pizza diet but you'll only gain fat unless you work out 4 hours a day.

Figure out how many calories you need to gain a pound to one and a half pounds a week. Lift heavy and avoid high intensity cardio. Walking is plenty of cardio.

Read up on all the fitness threads here too. There is so much knowledge buried in the forum.

My diet is strictly Meat, Seafood, Nuts, Fruits and Vegetables in unlimited quantity.
I cannot gain weight on this diet, I eat this diet to stay very lean year round.
I'm like 165lbs right now @ 5 foot 9, with 8 pack abs (flexed) and vascular.
Your diet looks similar to mine, thats probably why you cannot gain weight.

You need to add non-fructose (fruit) carbohydrates like brown rice and oatmeal to put on that extra weight.

I can absolutely gorge myself until I want to puke on Meat, Seafood, Nuts, Fruits and Vegetables - I won't gain weight no matter how much I shove into my belly.

You need the non-fructose (fruit) carbohydrates to do that.

Take it from someone with 15+ years of diet and exercise experience.
The average person will tell you that calories are the only factor.
I'm not the average person, I have actual experience.
Eat the Carbs to Grow Bigger, Stop Eating the Carbs to Shrink Smaller.

Remember, you cannot defy your genetics without steroids.
Unless your a total newb, more Muscle will come with more Body Fat.

Quote: (11-29-2016 04:33 PM)ScrapperTL Wrote:  

My diet is strictly Meat, Seafood, Nuts, Fruits and Vegetables in unlimited quantity.
I cannot gain weight on this diet, I eat this diet to stay very lean year round.

You need to add non-fructose (fruit) carbohydrates like brown rice and oatmeal to put on that extra weight.

I can absolutely gorge myself until I want to puke on Meat, Seafood, Nuts, Fruits and Vegetables - I won't gain weight no matter how much I shove into my belly.

Really? Very interesting. So how do people gain weight?

Is it simply Sodas and Desserts. I thought meat played a factor in people gaining weight.

Good advice ScrapperTL, but you are essentially agreeing that calories matter.

Carbs have more calories and are less filling than meat or veggies. A carrot only has around 30 calories. The average chicken breast is under 200 calories. The average bagel is around 300 calories before adding any cream cheese. Eating 500 calories of chicken breast and steamed carrots will leave you much fuller than 500 calories of bagel with cream cheese. Imagine how many calories are in the average slice of pizza or bowl of ice cream?

By adding carbs to your diet, you are adding calories. By counting calories, you are able to manipulate your intake in order to gain or lose weight. There's no way an ectomorph weighing 145 is going to be able to eat 2500 calories a day of meat, fruits, and veggies. That's where carbs come into play.

We are in agreement, we just took different roads to come to the same conclusion. Adding carbs/calories is going to be the best option for OP.

Here's a nice info-graphic showing 100 calories worth of various snacks.

[Image: tumblr_lpeg4yZNF11qgh9aoo1_400.jpg]

Quote: (11-29-2016 04:48 PM)NewDayNewFace Wrote:  

Really? Very interesting. So how do people gain weight?

Is it simply Sodas and Desserts. I thought meat played a factor in people gaining weight.

Protein is very important but as a Red Pill man you should already be hitting your daily protein needs, this is basic.
To gain weight you need the Brown Rice and Oatmeal in large quantities.
This will jam pack your muscles full of glycogen and send a very anabolic signal through the FED state.

Trust me I have tried, massive amount of protein alone will not result in long-term quality weight gain.
That is just temporary.
There have been studies done that have shown your gut just stock piles up the protein and slowly digests it.
Check out http://www.LeanGains.com to see what I am talking about.

Quote: (11-29-2016 04:58 PM)wi30 Wrote:  

Good advice ScrapperTL, but you are essentially agreeing that calories matter.

Carbs have more calories and are less filling than meat or veggies. A carrot only has around 30 calories. The average chicken breast is under 200 calories. The average bagel is around 300 calories before adding any cream cheese. Eating 500 calories of chicken breast and steamed carrots will leave you much fuller than 500 calories of bagel with cream cheese. Imagine how many calories are in the average slice of pizza or bowl of ice cream?

By adding carbs to your diet, you are adding calories. By counting calories, you are able to manipulate your intake in order to gain or lose weight. There's no way an ectomorph weighing 145 is going to be able to eat 2500 calories a day of meat, fruits, and veggies. That's where carbs come into play.

We are in agreement, we just took different roads to come to the same conclusion. Adding carbs/calories is going to be the best option for OP.

Here's a nice info-graphic showing 100 calories worth of various snacks.

[Image: tumblr_lpeg4yZNF11qgh9aoo1_400.jpg]

I think your theory is very sound and you are correct, we may be arriving at the same destination via different routes.
There is a lot of research out there proving that a calorie is not just a calorie though.
The macronutriet type and source do send different signals to cells in the body.
These signals over a long period of time could potentially cause large variances in the visual aesthetic of a physique.

One of my favorite stories that comically confuses the average fitness guru:
http://www.vegsource.com/news/2011/02/zo...sease.html

Gorillas in the zoo Fed Grain Diet? Get Fat.
They switch them to 100% Plant Based Diet and double their caloric intake.
Note the word "double" above.

The Gorillas end up gaining muscle and losing fat.

A calorie is not always just a calorie, this type of thinking will lead to the detriment of your health and aesthetics.

Quote: (11-29-2016 04:36 AM)Hannibal Wrote:  

Do Greyskull LP and start eating a shitload of rice, oatmeal, and potatoes. Cheap.

Rice, oatmeal, potatoes easy enough. Thanks for the info on the book, I'll download the ebook tonight.

Quote: (11-29-2016 06:07 AM)Kangaroo Wrote:  

Does it matter brown rice vs white rice? Would assume brown rice is better.

Quote: (11-29-2016 09:27 AM)aeroektar Wrote:  

Your an ectomorph, you have to figure out exactly what your eating in terms of macros, "heaping portions" isn't enough.

Track your macros for the next week, eat exactly the way you've been but figure what that breaks down as so you can make adjustments. You need to be in a caloric surplus.

First time I've ever heard of ectomorph. Is that new? Yea that describes me for the most part. I'll have to learn how to count calories, or at least estimate.

If I want to put on weight, I start drinking heavy smoothies in the morning - Whole milk, 2 scoops of whey, banana, a few tbsp of peanut butter, and some oats.

That smoothie alone is about 600 calories - you'll gain about a pound of bodyweight per week assuming you are eating at maintenance now.

Thanks, that's a good idea. I'll probably have to get some dried banana chips and whole milk powder, but should give me close to the same thing.

Quote: (11-29-2016 02:47 PM)wi30 Wrote:  

OP, how tall are you? I put in your weight and played around with the height in a BMI calculator and you would have to be 6'7" to have a BMI around 16. That sounds dangerously skinny. I'm 5'11" and my lean body mass is around 145.

I'm obviously not a medical or health professional so take my advice and everyone else's with a grain of salt, but you need to start adding some calories to your diet. Download My Fitness Pal or get a Fitbit and start tracking how many calories you are eating and how many you need to gain weight. You could go on the beer and pizza diet but you'll only gain fat unless you work out 4 hours a day.

Figure out how many calories you need to gain a pound to one and a half pounds a week. Lift heavy and avoid high intensity cardio. Walking is plenty of cardio.

Yes 6'7". I pretty much stick with walking for all my cardio.

I'm eating some brown rice right now with my lunch. Will see if this helps long term with weight changes. I need to order a scale!

I agree that a calorie isn't always equal. But for the average guy who already eats healthy, it's the easiest metric to manipulate. If you ate 2000 calories a day of pizza and ice cream, not only would you always be hungry, you'd feel and look like shit. If you eat 2000 calories of quality meat and veggies a day, you'll look and feel great.

Once your diet is on point with all the essential macros and nutrients, then add or subtract calories to gain or lose weight. This is where the OP is at, which is why I suggested counting calories.

If you currently eat McDonald's and Cheetos everyday, you should focus on changing your diet to quality foods. Odds are you're eating 4000 calories a day, but no one would say to cut down to 2000 calories a day of McDonald's and Cheetos. It might help briefly but it's not sustainable.

Quote: (11-29-2016 05:35 PM)frozen-ace Wrote:  

Quote: (11-29-2016 04:36 AM)Hannibal Wrote:  

Rice, oatmeal, potatoes easy enough. Thanks for the info on the book, I'll download the ebook tonight.

Quote: (11-29-2016 06:07 AM)Kangaroo Wrote:  

Does it matter brown rice vs white rice? Would assume brown rice is better.

Quote: (11-29-2016 09:27 AM)aeroektar Wrote:  

First time I've ever heard of ectomorph. Is that new? Yea that describes me for the most part. I'll have to learn how to count calories, or at least estimate.

Thanks, that's a good idea. I'll probably have to get some dried banana chips and whole milk powder, but should give me close to the same thing.

Quote: (11-29-2016 02:47 PM)wi30 Wrote:  

Yes 6'7". I pretty much stick with walking for all my cardio.

I'm eating some brown rice right now with my lunch. Will see if this helps long term with weight changes. I need to order a scale!

I always recommend brown rice over white rice for health reasons.
Oatmeal and all potatoes are healthy, yes even regular white potato is actually pretty healthy - if you are trying to put on weight.

If you are a true ectomorph then you can pretty much eat whatever you want and not gain bodyfat.
Your cells are basically almost always signaling to release instead of store calories.

Remember: Just because you won the "I can't get fat" genetic lottery, you still shouldn't go on a junk food bender.
This can indirectly lead to shit like cancer and diabetes.

You are Red Pill, you care about your health, you eat healthy.
Let the Liberals eat the Doughtnuts and Cheetos like common peasants.
While you eat Steak, Salmon, Chicken, Watermelon, Cashews, Broccoli and Brown Rice - like a King.

The argument of white rice versus brown rice is basically a toss up.

I like white rice because it tastes better, doesn't take as long to cook, and it simply agrees with my digestion.

Brown rice is full of phytates, an antinutrient, which fucks your body's ability to absorb essential micronutrients like zinc and whatnot.

Some folks deal with phytates better than others, I am not one of them.

However brown rice has more fiber and nutrients, supposedly. I don't get the majority of my vitamins from grains so I don't care, white rice all the way for me.

OP, if you want some books on bodyweight training I can PM you a few of the better ones. I've spent more than enough time sifting through the shitty books to know which ones are worth reading. Another tool in the toolbox.

― Donald J. Trump

Quote: (11-29-2016 05:36 PM)wi30 Wrote:  

I agree that a calorie isn't always equal. But for the average guy who already eats healthy, it's the easiest metric to manipulate. If you ate 2000 calories a day of pizza and ice cream, not only would you always be hungry, you'd feel and look like shit. If you eat 2000 calories of quality meat and veggies a day, you'll look and feel great.

Once your diet is on point with all the essential macros and nutrients, then add or subtract calories to gain or lose weight. This is where the OP is at, which is why I suggested counting calories.

If you currently eat McDonald's and Cheetos everyday, you should focus on changing your diet to quality foods. Odds are you're eating 4000 calories a day, but no one would say to cut down to 2000 calories a day of McDonald's and Cheetos. It might help briefly but it's not sustainable.

True, a lot of this is common sense stuff and I have over analyzed the hell out of it.
Excuse me while I put my Health & Fitness Hamster away!
[Image: malehamster.gif]

frozen-ace, If I remember right you are in a remote village. There is a reason why the natives used to dip all there meat in seal oil, for the calories. Now it is soda and flour out there making them fat. Old pictures of those guys show people who were ripped.
If you are just eating muscle meat and a little fat from the animals you are probably not getting what you need. The brains, organs, and cavity fat are necessary. Eat all that fat on the back and rump. If you have a grinder just put it in with the meat and make burger. Just muscle meat and vegetables won't cut it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_poisoning

I would suggest going to Costco and buying a bunch of coconut oil and white rice the next time you are in Anchorage. Just go to the post office and mail the stuff to yourself in boxes like everyone else in the village does. I love potatoes and think they are great but too heavy and get wrecked if frozen.
Also Salmon and Hooligan have a lot more fat if you can stock up when they are running.

I would like to say that, if you're truly an ectomorph, I really doubt that you'll be able to eat the necessary amount of brown rice you need to get the caloric surplus.

Yes brown rice has more fibers, the glycemic index is lower, you won't have such big insulin spikes and all, but.. You can all the health benefits from other sources.

Just eat white rice + beans, if in your lunch and dinner you're eating as much rice and beans you can, you'll gain weight. Thats how I've put on 10 kg when I was 15-16 living with my grandmother and couldn't control what I ate. Plus, beans are a great source of vegetable protein.

OP, I'll send you a PM with a recipe to a weightgaining mixture I make when bulking.

Did Martha Stewart give you that recipe? [Image: gay.gif]

Add two raw eggs, a tablespoon of olive and coconut oil, and a splash of apple cider vinegar if you're not a woman.

EDIT: Also a little raw honey to offset the bitterness from the vinegar.

Quote: (11-29-2016 07:30 PM)deerhunter Wrote:  

frozen-ace, If I remember right you are in a remote village. There is a reason why the natives used to dip all there meat in seal oil, for the calories. Now it is soda and flour out there making them fat. Old pictures of those guys show people who were ripped.
If you are just eating muscle meat and a little fat from the animals you are probably not getting what you need. The brains, organs, and cavity fat are necessary. Eat all that fat on the back and rump. If you have a grinder just put it in with the meat and make burger. Just muscle meat and vegetables won't cut it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_poisoning

I would suggest going to Costco and buying a bunch of coconut oil and white rice the next time you are in Anchorage. Just go to the post office and mail the stuff to yourself in boxes like everyone else in the village does. I love potatoes and think they are great but too heavy and get wrecked if frozen.
Also Salmon and Hooligan have a lot more fat if you can stock up when they are running.

This is a good point. One thing I like to do is drizzle olive oil on rice and other food. Tastes great and adds another 130 or so calories to the meal, plus plenty of healthy fats.

I used to have this problem since I've always been kind of a skinny. I had to go through several diets and a couple of years to finally gain some weight. I did the GOMAD diet (galon of milk a day) and got a couple of pounds. With enough supplement and weight training i got to gain about 30 pounds of muscle.

im not the most jacked guy, but at least i am not considered as skinny now.

Quote: (11-30-2016 07:41 PM)Enigma Wrote:  

Did Martha Stewart give you that recipe? [Image: gay.gif]

Add two raw eggs, a tablespoon of olive and coconut oil, and a splash of apple cider vinegar if you're not a woman.

EDIT: Also a little raw honey to offset the bitterness from the vinegar.

[Image: lol.gif]

I second what Enigma said regarding the other additions. All are very healthy and the oils are full of good fats. There are actually threads on RVF specifically focused on coconut oil and ACV.

However, real men down their raw eggs straight, no chaser.