rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Thoughts in buying a coop studio in the city?

I am thinking about moving into the city and finally move out and be on my own. At first I was considering roommates, but then I thought I should get my own place for logistic reasons because once I move out I intend to put serious effort to game.

A decent apartment is around ~$1500 in the city near the nightlife, etc. However I was thinking about coop studios, I have some savings I could use to put towards down payment so they rent would be cheaper.

The idea is to get a place in the city considerably where the action is and work on myself and being fully independent. Of course one of the main reasons also is being able to go out more frequently and practice game.

I'd appreciate any feedback!

The reason I would be hesitant is that if you decide to move, a coop is virtually impossible to rent out to a third party (due to the coop agreement you sign when you purchase) and it is also much more difficult to sell because noone wants it. I assume you are young, so what if you change careers or change locations, or even get married and want a bigger place?

Also keep in mind --- there is a chance that we may get a market correction in real estate soon, so you could be stuck underwater for a while (although maybe not, if you get a great deal).

If you are young, rent a shithole, get a roommate, or buy a 2 unit housing unit via 3.5% FHA loan and rent the bottom unit out to pay your mortgage (these are easier to sell as well). Also, save $.

Quote: (11-09-2016 06:51 PM)fortysix Wrote:  

The reason I would be hesitant is that if you decide to move, a coop is virtually impossible to rent out to a third party (due to the coop agreement you sign when you purchase) and it is also much more difficult to sell because noone wants it. I assume you are young, so what if you change careers or change locations, or even get married and want a bigger place?

Also keep in mind --- there is a chance that we may get a market correction in real estate soon, so you could be stuck underwater for a while (although maybe not, if you get a great deal).

If you are young, rent a shithole, get a roommate, or buy a 2 unit housing unit via 3.5% FHA loan and rent the bottom unit out to pay your mortgage (these are easier to sell as well). Also, save $.

I am having doubts, I found a great apartment next right in the middle of the nightlife for about ~$1390, monthly I make around $4000, I have no debt which is a plus, but I am wondering if I should go ahead and pursue the gaming lifestyle or keep saving money living in the suburbs far away from the city.

How good is your game?

The best players i've met can pull women back to a 5 person house share and get them to spread their legs for anything.

Otherwise, if you think your 1 bedroom pad and some marginal game will make bring slores back to your apartment i've got a bridge in Alaska to sell you.

Move to the city, get room mates, game, and save cash. Who knows, you might find some good dudes to hang with too.

Quote: (11-22-2016 09:26 AM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

How good is your game?

The best players i've met can pull women back to a 5 person house share and get them to spread their legs for anything.

Otherwise, if you think your 1 bedroom pad and some marginal game will make bring slores back to your apartment i've got a bridge in Alaska to sell you.

Move to the city, get room mates, game, and save cash. Who knows, you might find some good dudes to hang with too.

I am a beginner, I believe I have great potential, however living in the suburbs makes me feel like I am limited in terms of logistics. Nice Obama reference haha

If you can find a decent place for <$1500/month and you make $4k a month then a get a nice pad alone I don't see the big deal. Your rent+utilities+cellphone would still be less than half of your monthly income.

Now if you have other debts and bills like student loans, car payments/insurance, credit cards, etc. and your monthly expenses are beyond that then I would recommend getting a place with rommates or living outside the city. Living paycheck to paycheck is horseshit and living like that just to game some whores downtown is not worth it in my opinion.