rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Primitive Technology - Aussie Youtuber Builds in the Wild

Primitive Technology is a youtube channel started by a young Australian guy building things in the bush of Far North Queensland, Australia. He doesn't use any modern technology and makes things completely from scratch from materials he finds in the wild.

Check out this particular video of his:

He makes an entire living space with a tile roof with only his bare hands and tools he makes. I've never seen content on youtube this original or high quality. After a year and a half of posting on his channel, he has 3,000,000 subscribers. Each new video he makes easily gets 1,000,000+ views.

Check out the rest of his channel and his videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/PrimitiveTechnology
It's very worth it.

He also has a patreon raking in $5,000+ per video and counting: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=2945881

What I like most about his videos is that he never talks and you can just take in the sounds of the forest. No annoying intro, no graphics, just action. He explains in his youtube channel's Q&A section:

Quote:Quote:

Q.Why don't you talk in the videos?
A.When I watch how to videos I fast forward past the talking part to see the action part. So I leave it out of my videos in favor of pure demonstration.

If you want to learn more about each of his projects and his channel, in general, take a look at his blog: https://primitivetechnology.wordpress.com/
He goes in depth into each project and there's an FAQ in his about section as well.

Great channel.

He seems to make five figures per month from youtube also.

Very cool.

How much time passes in the video?

Edit: 102 days or 3 months. Not a small task. Fortunately he has other examples of grass huts and the like.

Great video. Thanks for sharing.

I went through a lot of the comments on his videos and webpages. It's interesting that most of the guys are like, "Wow, that's awesome, now I feel lazy for just sitting around and getting fat." I honestly felt the same way. If you dropped me in the woods right now I would not be able to do this, and there's a part of me that really feels like I *should* be able to, and I understand why that part of me exists.

The only people asking "Why are you doing this?" are chicks.

Did you notice how "alpha" the builder is--ripped, focused demeanor, good posture, not yammering all the time for your attention/approval.

I think there's something fundamentally masculine about building something from scratch with your own hands.

Now I really want to learn about construction, or blacksmithing, or something practical where you build something. Dammit.

^ It's a well done tutorial, the bonfire under the floor is ingenious in colder climates.

How did we go from this to the pajama nancy of today?
[Image: sad.gif]

Dude was a skilled mechanic and carpenter before he embarked on this.

Pretty cool, more hardcore than I would want to be with stone tools and all.

I'm jealous of all that clay. I've been wanting to make a cob oven for pizza but I can't find a good source of free clay around here. It's all sand and silt from glaciers, unless I want to dig a five foot deep hole in the back yard.

Quote: (10-16-2016 03:36 PM)ms224 Wrote:  

People started living mostly in big cities, where they're detached from the land. And kids are pretty much raised by their schoolteachers, who are overwhelmingly female, and the teachers do all they can to suppress masculinity. 85%+ of school teachers in the US are women these days, and male teachers have been outnumbered more than 2:1 longer than I've been alive.

That's how you get pajama boy.

Weambulance, let us hoist up the pirate flag.

Modern Day Spray

TL[Image: biggrin.gif]R dude on a farm in Norway starts to build his own aluminium boat, invites hippy girls to come help him finish his masterpiece
couple of years later (and a few months ago) puts it to water.

[Image: 4c6733d8c1f93f920eacc64793ca7a1e.jpg]

^^^ Is that on a lake? Aluminum corrodes like crazy in seawater.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Now that's what I call MGTOW.

two scoops
two genders
two terms

It only corrodes via galvanic action, i.e if you had a steel and aluminum boat you'd have issues.
I would be more worried about cracking.

Its a Colin Archer Rescue Boat Design, well proven in the north sea. If you read all the 70+ pages he describes the design and construction and trucking it from a barn to the sea.

Quote:Quote:

Posted by weambulance - Today 04:54 PM
Pretty cool, more hardcore than I would want to be with stone tools and all.

I'm jealous of all that clay. I've been wanting to make a cob oven for pizza but I can't find a good source of free clay around here. It's all sand and silt from glaciers, unless I want to dig a five foot deep hole in the back yard.

do-it.gif

and post pictures.

Quote: (10-16-2016 04:39 PM)RexImperator Wrote:  

^^^ Is that on a lake? Aluminum corrodes like crazy in seawater.

Once it corrodes it is kind of like a protective layer, the corrosion is only cosmetic. A lot of the fishing boats in the Pacific Northwest are aluminum, unpainted and not coated with anything and they are fine, even after spending the last 20 years in salt water.

The problem with aluminum boats is they attract growth like crazy so if you're smart you will at least paint below the waterline.

I'll check for clay in the creeks by my cabin first, there's gotta be some there, but I know there's clay in the backyard if I need it. Just don't want one of my dogs to break his neck running out there in the dark.

It'd be a lot easier to just buy the damn clay from a quarry or mine or whatever they call places where they dig clay. It can't be all that expensive if it's just normal clay, but all I can find locally is potter's clay which is obviously marked up enormously. It would be more fun to find it myself anyway.

I've been reading through this aluminum sailboat thread, maybe 6-7 pages in; it's really impressive what he did (so far) but I can't understand how it took him so much time. I haven't built boats but I do fabricate stuff and he's talking about 35 hours just to cut, fit, and merely tack each aluminum "plank" (both sides, I guess, actually). Sounds like a serious workflow problem, I would go insane if one of my projects went that slowly. I suspect he lost a ton of time to using inappropriate tools, I know having the right tools can cut literally 90% of the time off a project. Maybe I just don't understand all of what he did, though. I hope the guy had a lot of audiobooks or something, if it was a several-thousand-hour project.

Incredibly interesting and even inspiring. I don't work with my hands as much these days as I used to and I certainly miss it. I got into word working a couple years ago and built/refinished a few things one summer and haven't picked it back up. This is certainly some far next level shit, but building something with your own two hands from separate raw materials is something deeply gratifying and as basically human as walking upright.

This motivates me to want to get back to a few projects I've started in the past and a couple I've had in my mind for a while.

I think part of the reason it takes so long is he individually measures each one. Also, just the cut time for Al is a lot longer then wood.
But yea, look at the post dates, it took him a few years even with help.

Also, keep in mind each piece is fitted to the frame and then welded.

Plus, if you don't suffer for it, how can it be art?

Try calling the local building suppliers, or look online. A pallet should be a lot cheaper, if you have a truck, have them ship it to a local trucking terminal. It will be a lot cheaper then residential truck delivery.

I love this film. Just watching this man's sober, measured work at making a home for himself in the wilderness fills me with a great sense of serenity. I recall reading his cabin is still there for people who venture out to see it.

"Intellectuals are naturally attracted by the idea of a planned society, in the belief that they will be in charge of it" -Roger Scruton

Quote: (10-16-2016 08:59 PM)ed pluribus unum Wrote:  

I love this film. Just watching this man's sober, measured work at making a home for himself in the wilderness fills me with a great sense of serenity. I recall reading his cabin is still there for people who venture out to see it.

https://www.nps.gov/lacl/learn/historycu...-cabin.htm

Gotta take a float plane to get there though.

Got to the end of that aluminum sailboat build thread. Dude must've had a couple dozen WBs around helping over the years. Notably, none of the girls in any of the pictures were fat. A few were a bit chubby but that's it.

Last post in the thread, today, though:

"Lost you on marine traffic. Hope you're still afloat."

Hmm...

Looking at dude buidling stuff making a living with Youtube. Looking at dude building a ship...sailing, pick up chicks/crew in every harbour and probably even charge them money for it... They didn't sink, they are somewhere along South America at the moment.
Making "responsible" life joices sucks.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Interesting vids from primitive technology. I grew up country, am a carpenter and have always been interested in primitive living. A couple things that stand out to me... it looks like the habitat he's in offers a lot of suitable raw materials to work with. That's essential.
Also, talking is required for a proper 'how to' video, if you want people to learn adequately enough to do it themselves. Explanation of principles, practices and the physics behind things are essential. Especially in time lapsed video. He does have his blog address in the corner of the vids, maybe there's more explanation there.

Crossing the Atlantic with GNR.

The horrendous military-defense complex used to provide for thousands of interesting engineering jobs (with good salaries and promotion potential) to many men and offered a chance to build all sorts of interesting things like space planes, thermonuclear weapons, and ships to raise wrecked soviet subs from the deepest of oceans.

Now we have silicon valley peddling share-economy apps on a 2x4" screen.

Quote: (04-04-2017 07:47 PM)ms224 Wrote:  

The horrendous military-defense complex used to provide for thousands of interesting engineering jobs (with good salaries and promotion potential) to many men and offered a chance to build all sorts of interesting things like space planes, thermonuclear weapons, and ships to raise wrecked soviet subs from the deepest of oceans.

Now we have silicon valley peddling share-economy apps on a 2x4" screen.

Not really horrendous if they're providing tons of jobs and opportunities and new technology. It's still going on in the USA, they've just merged and become more efficient, Lockheed martin and northrup grumman are still churning out crazy stuff.

Quote: (10-16-2016 06:09 PM)ms224 Wrote:  

I think part of the reason it takes so long is he individually measures each one. Also, just the cut time for Al is a lot longer then wood.

Not with the right saw blade it's not. As a point of interest many general purpose fine cut TCT circular saw blades will cut aluminium fine, as the rake angles are similar. But ally will bind like fuck and wreck a steel cutting blade.

I agree with weambulance- projects like this are easy if you have the right tools. Coming from a Nordic farm background I would have expected him to, but who knows?

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

[quote] (04-04-2017 09:23 PM)Jack Of All Trades Wrote:  

[quote='ms224' pid='1542431' dateline='1491353273']

Not really horrendous if they're providing tons of jobs and opportunities and new technology. It's still going on in the USA, they've just merged and become more efficient, Lockheed martin and northrup grumman are still churning out crazy stuff.[/quote]

I meant horrendous in a rather sad and sarcastic way. Lots of cool technology made its was from these defense contractors. I wish I could get a job at Groom Lake.

Ben Rich, who used to run Lockheed Skunk works, tells of a story where, knowing the times at which soviet satellites would pass overhead. They concocted a prank where they loaded an empty drop tank on a A4 and had it do some laps. The tank had a bunch of radioactive symbols on it and they had base security round everyone up when it was being done to give it super special importance.

How cool would it be to work in a place like that?

Roberto, here is a vid of him walking around when it was upside down. I think it would take some time for one person to cut, fit and weld the whole thing. I think that time included welding and grinding the thing.

Since we are on cool manly videos.