rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Re-locating as a doctor in training

Hello,

Has anybody here had any experience re-locating as a doctor in training?

I'm seriously considering it. Like Stallion, I'm in Switzerland and it sucks.

Cheers

Here is some info on the salaries for people interested.

Working conditions + salaries.

What type of university / med school did you attend (elite school,
big name, etc)?

Where do you want to move to?

In Switzerland it's not like in the US or elsewhere, all medical schools are considered the same quality (more or less) since there are only state-funded and managed. There are only 5 medical schools. No private medical schools.

Where to? I don't know yet, that's one of the main purposes of my current trip: to find out. I'll travel also the next 6 months to different countries to compare. That's part of what I have to figure out next.

What field of medicine are you planning on going into? That a question you have to ask yourself before deciding to move anywhere.

Well, actually today I changed my opinion. I think that being based in Switzerland is actually a great homebase. Then I can go on week-ends in other European countries. I'll do that and see how it goes.

It makes more sense from a financial point of view and from a purpose point of view. I have more professional opportunities in Switzerland being Swiss.

I'll just change city and go where there is an airport: Geneva or Zurich.

For the next 6 months I have a flexible schedule allowing me to travel, so it should work out. I'll see how I can manage that in the future: going for ER might help me having a more flexible schedule: more off days in a row.

I'll make money where it's at and spend it somewewhere else while being frugal in my home country.

Well being a doctor educated in Switzerland can pretty much guarantee you the opportunity to move anywhere in the world and transfer your skills. It might be worthwhile waiting for your training to finish, though i'm not in medicine it's more your call to make. Hopefully more intelligent folks will chime in and give more targeted advice.

Figure out where you want to go first. That seems to be the biggest question!

I agree with you. Not taking advantage of this opportunity, at least part of it would be shooting myself in the foot. A professional training in Switzerland vs clubs and bars in Czech Republic: meh.