rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Graduated college...now what?

How is it going, folks?

One of my most important things that I have aimed to finish in this current year has been successfully completed - graduating college (Intl. Law).

Of course, this will open a lot of opportunities, but...I all honesty...I would like the input of more experienced guys...like many of you, without a doubt, are.

So, my first option is to start looking for something right away (I have some connections, and I am trying to do some networking).

My second option is to get some more certificates, in order to boost my CV. I am thinking of taking a CISCO networking certification, and certifications that I know how to operate MS word, Excel etc. What I would like to know is whether all those certificated per se are of any use while job hunting?

As for me, I am currently living with my parents (because my house is still being built, and thus, I can't live there yet), and, alongside my degree, I have a TOEFL certificate, as well as online business I have told you about before, and a 2000 USD budget.

Any input, as well as critic if you have any, will be appreciated. I can say, with pride, that I am not a millenial snowflake.

Thanks!

You didn't say what your end objective is or what you value in general.

You have a international law degree.

An online business (in what? are you making money? How much?)

And you are asking about IT certs.

So what is it want and why exactly? What time line is acceptable to you to achieve these goals?

Consider your degree something that brought you to zero. By virtue of being a man we all start out with negative life points compared to women who have the pussy pass. College alumni networking nights are where old businessmen can go and mack on young women.

What relevent work experience (if any) do you have?

Straight truth: your 2nd option will do dick fuck all for your International Law degree.

If you want to to work, get networking and connected now. You already missed the boat vs your peers who networked and lined something up in their last year.

However if you don't want to anything related to your degree, then it doesn't matter.

As other posters have said, what is your end goal? What do you want?

Quote: (08-05-2016 04:50 PM)jj90 Wrote:  

Straight truth: your 2nd option will do dick fuck all for your International Law degree.

If you want to to work, get networking and connected now. You already missed the boat vs your peers who networked and lined something up in their last year.

However if you don't want to anything related to your degree, then it doesn't matter.

As other posters have said, what is your end goal? What do you want?

I concur with the gentlemen here,

Networking is everything, your degree only introduces you to people and networks. But its up to you from there. I have met dudes from Harvard to Cambridge that are making mediocre money. Whats the point of going there? They are constantly getting out hustle by state university guys all the time, Why? Some dudes are hungrier and understand how the world actually works. In addition, the internet is breaking up some of the elite college monopolies, people are starting to realize, working for corporation sucks. Being a business owners is much more lucrative and important, i.e. Jobs and Gates.

I have met too many men graduating from top 10 universities that are unemployed. Its because they don't hustle or network. They think a piece a paper will define them.

Both Gates and Jobs, quit college, because they found a better way to make money, and escape the competition. They were first to enter the new computer market and now the internet. Being first is very important.

I would focus on the next new industry that is going to explode and play that angle.

The world is very competitive for men, especially in the anglo-sphere. Having a great degree and a famous school only open doors, but for you to kick down every door and use the elevator to elevate your career, your going to have to hustle and network with successful people, that includes working on weekends.

Working on weekends = more money.

If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of.
– Bruce Lee

One must give value, but one must profit from it too, life is about balance

Sorry folks for now answering on time. I had a nasty virus on my PC.

Quote:Quote:

So what is it want and why exactly? What time line is acceptable to you to achieve these goals?

When I decided to study Law, my end objectives were basically to graduate, find some good paying 9-5 job, marry and die. But, since I have discovered the Manosphere, my goals have changed. Basically, my end goals are to be the best I can be and be self employed. And they will be harder (but not impossible) to achieve.

And that is why I am very interested in IT and Accounting certificates. If I manage to get some of them (I am quite PC savvy, so I do not expect any trouble) , I will get some skills I need. And when I combine them with my degree, a lot of good things may happen... .

I think that one year of dedication should be honestly enough to get a good base. What do you think? Is that enough?

As far as my current businesses are concerned, I own an Ebay store (doing fine, made quite a nice profit, but I can't make my living out of it...yet), and investments in two agricultural projects (the investment is very small, but the ROI is extremely HUGE).

I hope I have answered your questions, my friend.

Consider your degree something that brought you to zero. By virtue of being a man we all start out with negative life points compared to women who have the pussy pass. College alumni networking nights are where old businessmen can go and mack on young women.

What relevent work experience (if any) do you have?

I agree with you. I am basically at zero right now. But, when I take into account all the knowledge I am getting from the manosphere in general and my own willingness to constantly improving my life, I do not think that I will be stuck at zero for long.

Twenties are probably the hardest years for men, from what I see, and from what I have been told. But, if we play our cards right, the rest of our life will be a fun experience. And that is why I opened this topic. I want to learn from successful people. I want to make sure that I do not screw up my life.

As for my relevant experience - 6 months of internship at one of the best lawyer's office in the country, ex infantry, worked on IT part time. Plus on line selling experience and have several MUN's experience (Model United Nations - great thing, btw!). And of course, my good looks [Image: biggrin.gif].

And JJ90. many of my peers either decided to do post graduate programs (which I do not intend to do). Many of them are stuck at mediocre jobs, without an ability to advance.

The situation with my high school friends is even more horrible.

And yes, I absolutely agree that networking is everything, and I am working on that (not to mention that many from my family are involved in law).

And HOD, thank you, your input will be taken into consideration!

Quote: (08-08-2016 04:33 PM)Irenicus Wrote:  

Sorry folks for now answering on time. I had a nasty virus on my PC.

When I decided to study Law, my end objectives were basically to graduate, find some good paying 9-5 job, marry and die. But, since I have discovered the Manosphere, my goals have changed. Basically, my end goals are to be the best I can be and be self employed. And they will be harder (but not impossible) to achieve.

And that is why I am very interested in IT and Accounting certificates. If I manage to get some of them (I am quite PC savvy, so I do not expect any trouble) , I will get some skills I need. And when I combine them with my degree, a lot of good things may happen... .

I think that one year of dedication should be honestly enough to get a good base. What do you think? Is that enough?

As far as my current businesses are concerned, I own an Ebay store (doing fine, made quite a nice profit, but I can't make my living out of it...yet), and investments in two agricultural projects (the investment is very small, but the ROI is extremely HUGE).

I hope I have answered your questions, my friend.

I'm not quite following the desire to get some IT AND accounting certs. Maybe you have a specific angle in mind and while both IT and accounting can lead to self-employment/remote employment (your end goal), the general consensus is that you need some solid industry experience first before branching off on your own. I can't imagine someone hiring any kind of accountant without industry experience. IT is a different story given the nature of the work.

Furthermore, getting some certs isn't really experience and while it might get you an interview, any decent place will test you to see if you know what you're doing. What I'm getting at is that IT and accounting are two different fields and both require significant dedication to become proficient in on their own individually. Again unless I'm not seeing something, I think you need to narrow down not only the general field (IT vs accounting) but the specific sub-field (programmer vs auditor). Your plans sound like they lack any real focus. You must have focus with clear realistic objectives.

Personally, I hate accounting (I say this as a non-accountant) and I think it's a field ripe for automation very soon. The thing about IT is that you can start learning and getting proficient in a sub-field today and there are a lot of lucrative fields you can specialize in.

Network admin
Database admin
Database programmer
Mobile app developer
Webpage developer

I would look into some niches like the aforementioned and start testing the waters today in each field (not just these but as many that interest you) and worry about certs later. You need to develop a sense about what kind of work you enjoy/tolerate the best and have some natural talent for. If you wanted to be a nurse, you should actually GO TO a hospital and shadow/work some shifts to get a sense for what you are REALLY getting into. Same principle applies here as it does with most things in life honestly: You MUST experiment and test the waters BEFORE committing to something. Otherwise, you are just flying blind and when you do that, bad shit tends to happen.

Some people HATE database programming because it's boring as shit to many. Some love it just for that very reason. Find some YouTube videos and guides and start reading and DOING some of this stuff to see what clicks. Web development, mobile app development, etc... just start learning/doing exercises TODAY to see what clicks. There are at least a few threads on the forum dedicated to discussing what's hot now and possibly in the future in the IT field. Look there for inspiration.

Ideally something clicks for you and you just get lost into the work for the next year developing your skills, taking odds jobs, and building up some kind of portfolio of work. Not a bad idea to get an industry gig to establish some credibility, learn a few things, and make contacts.

I promise you: If you get good enough on your own, you won't need any certs.

Why branch out into an unrelated field?
Leverage your degree. International law, - would that qualify you as a lawyer in your country? Law's a solid degree that can open up opportunities for you, in fields that you havent even thought at about at the moment, probably internationally as well as nationally should you play it right and keep at it.

The big corporate law firms pay well and most likely expect you to come from one of the top schools, some of the top firms in London for instance, ie hogan lovells and the like not only expect you to have stellar grades at law school but also at A levels. Insane. Might be different in other countries. They pay well though. But you're really just a tiny piece of a large puzzle. A robot killing yourself for a good salary. Chance of making partner approach zero at large law firms like that.. And you rarely get to work closely with clients, develop long lasting relationships.. and your clients tend to be large institutions.. Hedge funds, banks and the like.

If I were you i'd ignore the large commercial sets. if you're willing to look beyond the behemoths - find smaller offices doing niche work, - the pay will be smaller but again the team's smaller so you'll have more of an impact on the work you do and making partners a reality should you do a good job and stay on - it can offer you more free time to pursue other ventures, and more often than not a better social life than the large commerical sets - you'll have more time with clients, .. And theres a real chance of building long lasting relationships with clients that you can leverage for later should you want to branch out. The value of being exposed to the right kind of people consistently like that, and having the opportunity to build real relationships with them can be a huge support should you want to branch out, build your own business and the like.. It can really set you up for life.

Having legal experience, qualifying as a lawyer - having a law degree grants you a certain aura of trustworthiness to alot of people, and you can leverage that to branch out into business, real estate, whatever you decide to do - A law degree and some good legal experience and good contacts is worth its weight in gold. Get on board with one of the smaller firms, get some experience, learn how to apply the law in business and build yourself a network to leverage for later ventures - A start could be to apply for jobs as a paralegal or whatever you can find in the legal sector - The internets an endless resource here. Get a foot in the door at one of the smaller firms .. Accounting and IT can be a side thing, if I were you i'd focus on getting a foot in the door in the legal field now that you've got a law degree.. The rest will come later.

Just my two cents, hope it got you thinking about the possiblities.

-Marlo

Is the degree what your parents wanted you to do or what you wanted to do?

I'll be honest and say this:

Relevant work experience is the only thing that will separate you out from the rest of the bunch.

Funzy stuff like Model UN, Student Government, basketball, and the like aren't really that useful for finding jobs. I'd argue that internships and paid gigs are more useful.

That virus you got on your computer, how did you take care of it? Did you fix it yourself?

It's surprisingly easy to get entry level IT support jobs and parlay that into a database career. I got my first IT job by telling the interviewer (my future manager) that i use google to solve my problems and that i installed Gentoo onto my laptop one summer for fun.

Programming is seriously a personality driven job. You really have to want to do it to be good at it. Take some classes and see if that's what you'd like. Oracle has a certification process for database admins that can lead you to 6 figure jobs.

But seriously you have to love computers to do this full time.

So...basically you have no idea what you want to do?

Quite frankly you have screwed up the most important function of the school which was to use your branding and alumni network to build relevant connections and marketable internship experience.

Option A is to try to find something that keeps your options open but that is still feasible to enter. You are actually in one of the rare situations where I would suggest that you actively look into doing Navy or Air Force OCS. While there are a number of good "I have no idea what to do when I grow up" type jobs, most of those are in professional services firms that hire primarily out of school.....and then typically the lowest level of school they will higher at is a top tier state school like Michigan or UNC. On the other hand suck it up through OCS and the bullshit you deal with in the first few years, get yourself into a slot with good transferable skills to the real world (including some less obvious options like being a pilot) and you will be set.

If you have a good resume up to that point you will find that veterans are one of the best good old boy networks out there: networking with veterans will open up opportunities that even a lot of Ivy League kids can't get. This is coming from experience as I was able to land interviews with some top tier investment banks by networking with veterans and eventually ended up going with a consulting firm.

While not quite as beneficial Peace Corps or other NGOs can be a good experience. You tend to come away with some resume bullets(international experience, working in developing nations, and foreign language skills) that are highly sought after in the era of globalization. Another benefit is that you will gain a lot of the personal benefits of travel from working with them. After spending six months working with a village in South America you aren't ever going to view the world the same way again. Downside is that your alumni base is somewhat more limited.

On the other hand if you do know what you want to do then participating in a specialty masters program may be the way to go. An MSIS is good preparation for an IT field(I know that IU and Carnegie have good programs off the top of my head), and getting an MSF from a good school(Villanova/Vanderbilt are the best) will do a lot ot help you get into corporate finance jobs. There are any number of other specialized 1 year programs and they are, by and large, designed for people in your situation.

There is also the elephant in the room: Stay on the legal track

Some of the benefits have been discussed above, but you are somewhat past the period for that. If you want to do this I would suggest doing one of the NGO stints I mentioned while you apply....it is very easy to spin that story about why you went that route.

Some GPA/SAT stats for you might be useful as well as a rough idea of the tier your university is in. The reason why this is important is that the legal profession is somewhat oversaturated right now: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/25/opinio....html?_r=0