rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Cluster Sets - A New Methodology?

[Image: 4YkithC.png]

Haven't tried this yet, but here's the powerpoint slides from the NSCA National Convention

Basic points
  • Cluster sets are a way of partitioning mechanical work in a work out. Rather than completing the set and taking a rest interval, you take short rest intervals between repetitions (IE broken reps) and a longer rest interval between sets. This helps preserve force output, power, and velocity.
  • Velocity and power tend to really drop off after the 3rd of 4th repetition, so having a intraset rest helps preserve the overall quality of the work.
    Form of movement is preserved by utilizing the cluster set method, decreasing horizontal bar displacement during weightlifting movements like the power clean. This will likely translate over into less technical movements like the typical powerlifting movements.
  • Cluster sets change the training stimulus and allow for a clear methodology to develop strength-endurance and power endurance.
  • The continuum for intraset rest periods is much as you would expect. Shorter intraset rest periods could be a mechanism for str/pow-endurance and hypertrophy, moderate intraset rest for strength, and longer intraset rest for power. In the same fashion, rest periods between sets is longer along the same continuum.
If you want some of the nitty gritty, the slide deck is littered with citations.

I've read about them and it looks promising.

The Multi-Year Weight Traing App I've mentioned has a program using them.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

I've never tried this but would be willing to bet that there will be no noticeable differences in results between this and regular set/rep timing, except the fact that it will take twice as long.

For regular 3x5 you could do whole set in ~30 seconds, with this you'd be doing each rep in ~30 seconds.

Thanks for the share though.

So, you do each rep slowly, or just take a 20s break between each one?

Quote: (07-19-2016 04:44 PM)germanico Wrote:  

So, you do each rep slowly, or just take a 20s break between each one?

A break between every rep. So far after a week of testing I find I sweat more and my max weight has increased significantly. But my workouts are taking wayyyy longer.

Is the purpose of this to add weight that you wouldn't be able to lift without the breaks between reps?

So for example:

Regular sets: 5x5 at 205

Cluster: 5x5 at 225

I think the purpose is to add more reps per set at a heavy weight ( and thus get more fatigue of recruited muscle fibers)

i.e. regular protocol:
5 sets of 6 reps
total reps: 30

Cluster protocol (with the same weight as above)
3 sets of 3-3-3 reps with 15s rest between "mini" sets.
total reps: 27

Similar number of reps, but you get more "fatiguing" reps, supposedly.

It lets the ATP regenerate, so you can do the extra reps, but doesn't let fibers recover, so you get more overall fatigue--> more growth.

More here:
https://www.t-nation.com/training/advanc...uster-sets

I have no idea if this is better in practice for growth however. It's been shown you can grow well on a variety of protocols and rep ranges, the key seems to be intensity (fatiguing fibers), and adequate recovery. Makes sense that some protocols are better than others though, I like the reasoning of this one.

Another thought here is that just taking creatine may have similar benefits - the increased ATP lets you squeeze out a couple more reps at heavy weight.

How would you do this with execises such as bench?

It really amazes me how the fitness industry can come up with new names for stuff that's been done for 80 years.

This kind of training used to be called "rest-pause" training.

How do you do it with the bench? Easy. You press it, then rack it. Then you unrack, press, rack. Repeat for 5 reps.

If you're not fucking her, someone else is.