rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Free VPN providers

Free VPN providers

I tried CyberGhost, seems legit but the google localization turns to Arabic or different languages, even though the IP is Romanian.
Does anyone know some other reliable free vpn services?

Free VPN providers

ProXPN does the job for me: https://www.proxpn.com/index.html

Free VPN providers

I use the free Tor Browser VPN for almost 1 year and it is fast, reliable,
and with a vast range of IPs available.

http://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

Free VPN providers

Here's another deal for a VPN with 50gb of traffic monthly: https://slickdeals.net/f/9438507-windscr...gb-monthly

John Michael Kane's Datasheets: Master The Credit Game: Save & Make Money By Being Credit Savvy
Boycott these companies that hate men: King's Wiki Boycott List

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Free VPN providers

I would avoid "free" anything when it comes to technology especially VPN traffic.

They can easily capture your info as it passes through, otherwise known as a man in the middle attack.

Tor is very much subject to this also.

Free VPN providers

For anyone that already has a dedicated hosting server, have you ever tried setting that up as a VPN?

John Michael Kane's Datasheets: Master The Credit Game: Save & Make Money By Being Credit Savvy

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Free VPN providers

Quote: (01-31-2017 03:58 AM)John Michael Kane Wrote:  

For anyone that already has a dedicated hosting server, have you ever tried setting that up as a VPN?

That was the second half of my post I foolishly forgot to add.

Check this out: https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn-pri...-services/

Free VPN providers

Thanks for the link. If someone wants true anonymity with AWS, they should probably use a pre-loaded gift card (if Amazon will accept it) that isn't linked to your real name. The problem with all VPN's as far as I'm concerned is that you truly need to give zero identifying information whenever possible if you're absolutely going to play it safe. I guess if there was ever a court order, they could get you to turn over your IP address/billing that you use to connect to AWS. Having never used AWS before, I haven't browsed their TOS to confirm what kind of logging they keep on the client side to connect to your own server, and whether those logs can be purged by customer, or are they in the hands of Amazon?

Free VPN providers

Quote: (01-31-2017 04:18 AM)John Michael Kane Wrote:  

Thanks for the link. If someone wants true anonymity with AWS, they should probably use a pre-loaded gift card (if Amazon will accept it) that isn't linked to your real name. The problem with all VPN's as far as I'm concerned is that you truly need to give zero identifying information whenever possible if you're absolutely going to play it safe. I guess if there was ever a court order, they could get you to turn over your IP address/billing that you use to connect to AWS. Having never used AWS before, I haven't browsed their TOS to confirm what kind of logging they keep on the client side to connect to your own server, and whether those logs can be purged by customer, or are they in the hands of Amazon?

Honestly, 100% complete anonymity is impossible on the internet. The internet was never designed to be completely anonymous. At best you're only obfuscating your usage of it. You have pluses and minuses on all potential solutions that you need to weigh against your own needs understanding the trade offs you get.

If this is a concern for you, I would set up a local server you physically own and have access to one an ISP that you pay for. Your local ISP where the VPN drops off will obviously know what you're doing with this solution again this is something you need to weigh.

It's easier to hide in plain sight. Use toss away email accounts, don't re-use user names on forums, etc. things of that nature.

Free VPN providers

I would recommend getting a paid one. I use nord VPN.

https://www.vpnranks.com/reddit/

Free VPN providers

VPNs are good at hiding your identity from ISPs, website owners and service providers, but the surveillance network is hard to evade.

Web browsing is now impossible to do without revealing your location to the surveillance agencies via traffic analysis, except if by some chance the VPN you're using isn't part of the global surveillance network which includes 14 Eyes and likely many more now.

Free VPN providers

Delete

Free VPN providers

Try Hola VPN, it's a browser plugin that works well enough.

Free VPN providers

Quote: (01-31-2017 06:56 AM)Valentine Wrote:  

VPNs are good at hiding your identity from ISPs, website owners and service providers, but the surveillance network is hard to evade.

Web browsing is now impossible to do without revealing your location to the surveillance agencies via traffic analysis, except if by some chance the VPN you're using isn't part of the global surveillance network which includes 14 Eyes and likely many more now.

I think the only way to truly make an effort at 100% concealment is to use a VPN and public wi-fi networks that change frequently. That way you're not tied to one location. Also, no personally identifiable information on your mobile machine. It seems that privacy comes at a trade off of functionality.

Free VPN providers

Quote: (01-31-2017 11:38 AM)John Michael Kane Wrote:  

Quote: (01-31-2017 06:56 AM)Valentine Wrote:  

I think the only way to truly make an effort at 100% concealment is to use a VPN and public wi-fi networks that change frequently. That way you're not tied to one location. Also, no personally identifiable information on your mobile machine. It seems that privacy comes at a trade off of functionality.

This is the best advice here.

If you want to be completely anonymous you could crack a neighbor's wifi and leach of that. Illegal as it gets but it is what it is!

Don't forget to spoof the wifi mac address!

Free VPN providers

Good point on MAC spoofing. If you're going to be driving around in a covered van leeching off wifi, best to at least spoof that badboy in case someone is on to you. Repped +1 for the useful advice.

Free VPN providers

It all depends what you are trying to do.

Do you want to be naughty and get away with something?

You can do low-level criminality pretty easy if you are savvy enough. I feel confident enough to do this, and I would never be caught. I don't.

High-level stuff like terrorism is also doable, but you need to take it up a couple of notches. No self-respecting terrorist really uses the internet, nor do they need to. I don't know much about that.

There are some ok free VPN's but really, you need to pay a couple of quid to get something you can trust.

Opera is a good free VPN. It is not really a VPN in the sense that it encrypts all of your internet traffic, but it is a pretty good http browser proxy. Bought out by China so all your data probably belong to the highest bidder.

See this thread:
thread-35181-page-3.html

Again, it depends what you want to do. All I want to do is protect my browsing history from some fat lesbo cunt that lives a few doors up from me, getting fucking nosey, and having access to my most personal details.

If I was a terrorist planting bombs that could take out thousands of people, well, I probably wouldn't use the internet that much at all. But I still could a bit. In fact, I totally could. But it would take commitment. I won't post what you need to do to get to this level. It's not what RVF is for.

Have a go at that little tutorial I put up with regard to Mullvad. They cost a fiver a month, but you can pay by the month, they keep no records, so there is nothing to hand over. You could, in theory, do some pretty nasty shit, going through their servers (thankyou Sharia May for pointing me in the right direction).

Setting up a proper VPN is not trivial, and Mullvad make it exceptionally easy by providing a client to do it all for you. It is ropey. It doesn't always work. But for a noob it is golden.

As Valentine has said, if you want to make sure your VPN is not betraying your real IP when it drops, then configure your firewall to double check.

Please, whatever you do, don't think that connecting to a VPN makes you invisible. It's one link in the chain.

In that link I gave, I gave you the link of that one privacy site! Everything you need to know about VPN.

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/choosing-...n-for-you/

If you want a free off the cuff proxy: Opera Developer. Or John Donym. I never got to talk about John Donym. But it's probably best we don't talk about John Donym.

It depends what you want to do.

Free VPN providers

Rigsby,

What if i just want to access US-based websites while on a short trip overseas? Banks, credit cards, etc. Not from public wifi spots, either from hotels or 4G mobile phone tethered to a laptop.

Is a free vpn (for example, Hola plugin) good enough to do this?

If/when I travel long term, I'll pay for a decent vpn service.

Free VPN providers

free vpn?

Never get a free vpn. Usually they are unreliable and nothing is ever free.

[Image: facepalm3.gif]

Free VPN providers

Quote: (02-02-2017 09:55 PM)Brodiaga Wrote:  

Rigsby,

What if i just want to access US-based websites while on a short trip overseas? Banks, credit cards, etc. Not from public wifi spots, either from hotels or 4G mobile phone tethered to a laptop.

Is a free vpn (for example, Hola plugin) good enough to do this?

If/when I travel long term, I'll pay for a decent vpn service.

I don't know Hola, though I have heard of them. I don't think they should be used. Look up that free VPN ranking website I linked to - they give all the pros and cons of Hola in depth, plus a quick see-to.

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/choosing-...n-for-you/

Never use any VPN for banking or surfing in a foreign country if you do not pay for it. I'm not saying you could not get a free totally secure VPN that would work, but the risks are too great. This is common knowledge. Anyone doing basic research in this area will understand.

You don't need to pay much for a good VPN. Mullvad, as I have stated, let you pay by the month. A fiver in Euros, so that may be cheaper in pounds or dollars.

30 days. Does it work? You don't need to buy more than 5 bucks worth - 30 days.

You can find deals on VPN for half of that. But come on. Unless you are travelling all the time.

Go to that one privacy site I linked to in the previous post. If you have a VPN in mind, it will probably be among the rankings and you can see the pros and cons. I don't know what your exact needs are, but that spreadsheet has most eventualities covered. I doubt your needs are so arcane that they will not be covered. Also in depth coverage there too on another spreadsheet. Very good stuff.

What if i just want to access US-based websites while on a short trip overseas?

Depends on your VPN. For example, mullvad has half a dozen servers in the states - and I think you can select by county in fact - need to check. So any site you visit in the States will see your traffic as coming from the States as well - so no problem.

Again, not sure what you mean. If you want to access US-based websites while on a short trip overseas, then you should be able to do this with this one VPN provider. Texas, California, Florida, Illinois, and more are ready to go. And you could do that from pretty much any country in the world, once set up. The websites you visit would not know. Not unless they had very advanced IP detection going on, and most don't.

That is the whole point of a VPN - not to break the law, but to provide a layer of security. That is what we pay for. When you pay, you have certain expectations. The minute one of these chumps gets called out for spilling the beans, is the minute they die their death.

VPN are about perfect for doing a lot of things. But they are useless for others.

Anyway, those sites you visit, you might find they don't care too much if one day you log in from Sweden or Switzerland. As long as your id and password match.

Free VPN providers

Be weary of "free" VPN.

https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/01...re-secure/

Avoid all VPNs that has to install an app.

An example is Spotflux. They ONLY have apps and don't offer a Linux version (since they can be caught being sneaky more easily).

Free VPN providers

Quote: (01-31-2017 02:56 PM)John Michael Kane Wrote:  

Good point on MAC spoofing. If you're going to be driving around in a covered van leeching off wifi, best to at least spoof that badboy in case someone is on to you. Repped +1 for the useful advice.

Could somebody elaborate on this, or give a link?

Free VPN providers

Avira Phantom VPN, ZenMate (Chrome Plugin), and hide.me.VPN are good free ones that I've tried. The Avira one I think however is only a limited time deal unless you pay for annual subscription.

Free VPN providers

Quote: (02-03-2017 05:35 AM)joost Wrote:  

Be weary of "free" VPN.

..snip...

Avoid all VPNs that has to install an app.

An example is Spotflux. They ONLY have apps and don't offer a Linux version (since they can be caught being sneaky more easily).

Well, one should always be mindful of any app installed on your computer. Most VPN setup is done by changing network configurations.

Can be time consuming and need a wizard to help you. Of course if you trust a third party to .exe on your computer, well...

I've done both. And in Linux too. You can get nitty gritty if you want, changing all the network settings, if that makes you feel better. Some say you shouldn't even run a VPN in windows. This argument is beyond the scope of this site.

Mullvad, the example I gave in my impromptu little data-sheet, well that works off a client and saves you all the hassle. That is why I gave the tests you need. It doesn't matter if you sort out the nitty gritty itself if you test it worldwide via 3rd party. Are you leaking?

Mullvad is a small company. 14 eyes so probably not to be trusted if you want to do heavy stuff. I don't do heavy stuff, so I'm good.

Their client makes it possible for an average user to set up a VPN and to be able to trust it, via 3rd party checks.

There's a lot to be said for doing the nitty gritty network stuff. But when you get down to it, and really start to understand how computers work, well, you can't trust anything. See the Ken Thompson Compiler hack that would detect when it was tampered with and still keep sureptitiously putting in back doors.

There's an old hacker adage: If you don't want to get caught, don't do it. You can't trust anything. Or anyone.

Having said that, if you want to get all bare bones on windows setting up your VPN, go for it. Mullvad is a good compromise.

If you wanna go bare bones, Linux is better to do it in.

Good luck.

Free VPN providers

With all the "phone home" spyware, erm, "features" in Windows 10, using a VPN with that OS is probably not the best way to go if you're seriously concerned about privacy. Your best bet would probably to get some thin Linux distro pared down to just a web browser or minimal apps that you need. Less is more when it comes to security.