rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Want to workout, feeling weak, lazy and tired.

I want to get into shape and not only be healthy but look good.

I am 26, 6'1 and am in "average" shape, not fat, not skinny, average is the perfect word.

I always plan on running, doing some pull ups, push ups but I end up being lazy, tired, no motivation.

I certainly dont like my "average" body and sometimes I feel weak, I was never much of an athlete and I never had a workout routine, I am lucky that I was raised to eat well so I have lots of disipline in this area, I dont eat fast food of any sort and cook all my meals, mostly all healthy.

Since I have found the red pill a lot of focus for men is women and this was the case for me as well, I have gotten infinetly better in that aspect but when it comes to the mind and body I clearly am lacking.

It seems I lack the mental fortitude and motivation to keep a good workout routine and for some reason I keep falling into the same bad habits of laziness.

Any tips for a guy who has never worked out much? What keeps you guys going everyday?

I have always felt that little "shame" because of being out of shape but recently two things have hit me, I went to the movies to see that new Rock movie and man I felt terrible about myself seeing this monster in shape, sure he has some giftd but he is a man just like the rest of us and he works his ass off.

Second thing that really hit me was an article about a kid I went to school with, he was a wrestler and same age as me, he has since gone to college and won championships, won championships in other countries, truly amazing and inspiring, kinda made me feel bad though "damn what the fuck have I been doing with my life? I bet while I was out partying this dude was training his ass off to better himself"

I guess similar to game you have to "just do it", there is no way you are going to get in shape by sitting on your ass, you either do it or you dont and live with the chosen path and its outcome.

Quote: (07-06-2016 06:34 PM)TheDuncan Wrote:  

Any tips for a guy who has never worked out much? What keeps you guys going everyday?

[Image: 0e96230fd570d4eb7e5e200d653b0e35cf8104dc...dd671_9843]

Just until you've made working out into a solid habit. Then I'd recommend making your own stack with ingredients you prefer (mine is mainly caffeine, creatine, beta alanine, BCAAs), which will save you money and eliminate the fake sugar/colors.

But until then, two scoops of this and you won't be able to NOT workout.

I dont know much about working out, what does pre work our do for you? Give you a burst of energy?

Im no all star athlete, but Ive made some good progress and met some goals, and now am working on new ones. It helped me to set clearly defined goals in mind, rather than a general "get in shape". Things like lifting your bodyweight in the 3 power lifts, running a 5k in under 24 min, rowing a 2k in under 8 min. Also religiously logging your progress to objectively measure it. This will help you not only focus, but have small victories along the way to keep your motivation up. It can really help to workout with a friend to both get you started and keep you going, or both of you for that matter.

Are you getting enough sleep?
Are your macros in check?
Is your consumption of alcohol affecting mindset?

On a personal note, I prioritize physical fitness above mostly everything else. Going out, gaming girls, drinking, etc are all secondary pursuits that come after working out, eating clean, and getting enough sleep.

Pre workout can do several things, with varying degrees of efficacy.

-Increased energy
-Decereased fatigue
-Increased blood flow or "pump"

It can be addicting, and if you do take it it is good to cycle on and off so you don't end up like a guy on my old ship who was taking 6 scoops of the old formula jack3d at a time.

I'm going to give you weird, non-scientific, unprofessional advice.

If you follow it, you will be happier and healthier for the rest of your life.

Think of every day as day 1 or 2 or 3. On day 1 you do some pushing exercises. On day 2 you do pulling exercises. On day 3 you do leg exercises.

No rest days. No real goals. Just think of every day as either 1, 2 or 3. Then do the thing you promised yourself you would do on those particular days.

Do this until you enjoy it, or until you get multiple compliments on the same day that "you look good", or "you're getting bigger".

Then worry about a program.

Your dick, heart, mind, and sex partners will thank you.

If you want a simple plan, do pushups for day 1, pullups or rows for day 2, and bodyweight squats for day 3. Don't worry about weight, or rest period, or anything. Just do 3 sets of each exercise. Keep track of how many you do. The next day that exercise comes up, do one more than last time.

Stop making excuses. Just start doing it until it becomes something you look forward to, or something you expect unconsciously.

You made this post, so just do the thing -- you obviously want it. Now go do it. Every day. For the rest of your life.

It will be glorious.

Thanks for the advice, you say 3 sets, do I do until faliure?

Also why only 3 sets a day? Why not do 20 sets a day if you can?

I think you need to just make working out a habit. At least that is what I have done with working out. I used to feel lazy or tired to workout and I would only workout when it was convenient and when I felt like it. Obviously, this was ineffective as I would then only workout once or twice a week.

My approach now is that I view working out like brushing my teeth. It is a daily habit. I have an exceptionally simple program I follow. I do calisthenic workouts five days a week. The other two days I rest my muscles and go for walks. Since my program is calisthenics (pushups, pullups, and bodyweight squats) I can workout at home so I never have the "excuse" of not being able to go to the gym. The thing about viewing working out as a habit, rather than a goal or something you want to do, is that after a few weeks of doing this you will want to stick with working out because at that point the habit of working out has been established and your body and mind will expect it everyday. Therefore, it will require very little willpower or motivation to keep working out as you will just be following one of your daily habits.

Game/red pill article links

"Chicks dig power, men dig beauty, eggs are expensive, sperm is cheap, men are expendable, women are perishable." - Heartiste

Quote: (07-06-2016 08:12 PM)TheDuncan Wrote:  

Thanks for the advice, you say 3 sets, do I do until faliure?

Also why only 3 sets a day? Why not do 20 sets a day if you can?

What do you need 20 sets a day for, if you're going to be doing it for the rest of your life?

Non flippant answer = do a little exercise, then let your muscles rest and grow. Moderation, routine, and rest.

Try 3 sets, with each set to a "max" of what you feel comfortable doing the first time you do it.

Then, next iteration (3 days later), add at least 1 rep to one of the sets.

Go until you plateau, then come back and post again.

Suck it up and do it... I'm got a permanent chronic injury (bankart lesion) and I'm still lifting. What's your excuse again? You don't feel good?

Take some of dat dere C4 and hit it hard.

Get out of your head. Paralysis by analysis. Stopping thinking about other people and just make this a part of your routine. Results will come.

How much do you weigh and how much do you eat in a given day?

Most people who are "tired" during the day really don't eat a whole hell of a lot, or they eat foods low in micronutrients like zinc and whatever. Dieting for too long makes a man sluggish.

How is your sleep? Do you think it's possible you might have a sleeping disorder such as sleep apnea? Get that checked out.

Caffeine is cool and all, but it's not the answer and it won't magically create motivation. You're 26 years old, you shouldn't be too tired to lift.

As far as what keeps me going, I was always a scrawny, weak fuck growing up. Having actual physical strength was like a magical awakening for me and it's changed my life. As a child, many of my role models were strong men and I looked up to and admired them.

They say that it takes 21 days to make a habit. "Theoretically", if you can stick to a program without fail for 3 weeks, you should be able to make it a habit without "life getting in the way".

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Don't be concerned with making it a habit or coming up with a routine and having to "just do it". If you're having difficulty finding and sticking to a routine, forget it, it just won't work for you.

Try to find something you'd like to achieve, within reason, e.g. I'd like to be able to do 10 honest pull-ups; or maybe one handed pushups; whatever, something you'll have a sense of accomplishment about, then start working toward your goal. Be sure get plenty of rest and avoid overdoing it (you should feel good after a workout, not lousy).

I believe, as you progress, your goals will naturally evolve to include other exercises and/or training. The whole thing is dynamic and something that once you start you can enjoy (keyword enjoy) for the rest of your life.

Good luck and post an update...

I think, that the beginning is about some inner motivation. You´ve probably found it, so all you need is to the first step, which is the hardest. Do it right now or remain weak.
And when you start, you will begin getting better a better, but it will always be difficult, so there´s no difference between total beginners and athletes. All of them feel the same pain, while improving, so there´s not excuse. It´s only about that some have chosen to be shit and some have chosen to be warriors. And once you become a warrior, the results are much valuable then pain invested in.

I definitely wouldn´t use some chemistry. You probably don´t have problem with not having enough energy, it´s just mind telling you are (this problem have the most of people).... don´t listen to it. Take it as you advantage, the worse conditions you have to overcome, the stronger you become.

I personally enjoy watching motivational videos on youtube, when lack of motivation. Then I do it, whether it´s raining shit, freezing or feel weak.

"Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."

The easiest way to consistently go to the gym is to go in the morning if possible. If you plan on going after dinner or late at night it makes it too easy to not go.

Once you start making some gains you it will make you feel motivated to keep going.

Quote: (07-06-2016 09:38 PM)eatthishomie Wrote:  

Suck it up and do it... I'm got a permanent chronic injury (bankart lesion) and I'm still lifting. What's your excuse again? You don't feel good?

Take some of dat dere C4 and hit it hard.

Have you had shoulder surgery or was this undiagnosed for too long for surgery to be viable?

OP, the hardest part in the beginning is getting your ass to a gym. A body at rest stays at rest, it's the law of physics. To break inertia it needs an external force.

This external force is your mind. Imagine your mind giving your lazy ass the mightiest of bitch slaps.

Read up on and watch how to perform these lifts: deadlifts, squats and pull-ups. Stick with these 3 days a week for 4 weeks. There's a plethora of information on the forum.

And stop comparing yourself to other people. If you go around thinking "damn that Rock dude is big, I'll never be that big" then guess what: you're gonna be right. Comparing like that is a waste of time, time you could spend breaking down and re-building muscle fibers.

Now get your ass in the gym. [Image: thumb.gif]

EDIT: Btw, having your diet on lockdown like that is a HUGE plus. That is the single biggest hurdle for 90% of guys. If you get your workout routine in order on top of that diet, pretty soon you're gonna be the guy everyone else compare themselves to.

Try different sorts of fitness classes before joining a gym and trying to do it all yourself. It can be boxing, crossfit, yoga sculpt, whatever you want. Most places have a very friendly intro month to see if you like it. If you are in a big city, try different places, try them all.

MY advice would be slightly different from some of the above. I think a big part of the reason people fail is that they try to go from doing nothing to doing a powerlifting/bodybuilding etc program 6 days a week. You burn out in no time doing that, and since your training has no direction, you fall off pretty quickly.

If it's possible for you, I'd recommend taking up a sport. This will focus your mind and your training on what needs to be done. I have stepped up my own training having recently joined a rugby club, as it is clear that I need to build some additional muscle to help absorb the impacts.

Failing that, if you are not competitive, then I would suggest you start by getting into the gym for 40 minutes 3x per week. No whinging, no I can't be bothered, none of the psychobabbling to yourself. It simply becomes something you need to get done 3x in a 7 day period. That way you can structure your week accordingly. It doesn't matter when you train, so long as you get 40 minutes in 3x each week, and don't work the same muscle group two days running.

In addition, lose weight. This will make you more motivated. As we learned from Thomas the Rhymer's excellent thread on balls, fat people's bodies are less hospitable environments for testosterone, and consequently make them less able to motivate themselves. Here is a diet to lose weight: Each meal must contain animal protein. Breakfast can contain a modest carb source (1 slice of toast with butter, a bowl of porridge, etc), but must have some protein (a couple of eggs, for example). Your lunch and your supper are: 1 decent portion of animal protein (6oz or so), and as many vegetables as you can eat. You can have any sauce you like with it, but ideally it will be one you make (a good one, for example, if you're stir frying some stuff, is half a can of chopped tomatoes, 1 large teaspoon of 5 spice, a squirt of ketchup, a dash of soy sauce, and a teaspoon of honey - simple, tasty, and quick to prepare. Serve over a load of stir fried veg and meat). No sugar unless it is honey or dark chocolate (even then, be restrained).

No other carbohydrates most of the time. Some rice, potatoes, pasta etc is ok if you're sitting down with your family for supper, or out with a friend. Just hit the meat and veg diet most of the week and the weight will come off. Don't lie to yourself though, and don't fuckup a whole weekend. Cut the booze as far as possible for as long as you are trying to lose weight. See it as a short, intense period, where you are getting your shit straight. Try to enjoy the discomfort and see it as a personal test. Failure to adhere is tacit acknowledgement of your lack of mental fortitude. Noone likes to be a loser.

One of the biggest tricks to getting/staying lean is not buying bad shit. Do not buy chocolate or crisps when you go shopping, and it won't be there for you to snack on when you get home.

If you are someone who likes to snack, try to control what it is you're going to snack on. For me, if there are crisps around, I'll hose a thousand calories worth in about 10 minutes if left to my own devises. Instead, I personally buy olives stuffed with anchovies. They are cheap, healthy, delicious, and after about 5 or 6, I've had enough. Try to find something similar that works like this for you.

Remember: Motivation follows Action.
Never, ever, rely on Motivation to put you into Action.
Relying on 'feeling motivated' before taking action sets you up for failure, as there is no guarantee you will always feel Motivated.
Forcing yourself to take action is a guarantee.

The best thing to do if you are feeling weak/lazy/tired is to start with the simplest possible action to get the blood flowing.
Motivation will follow.
Start with something incredibly easy like Jogging in Place for half an hour, then move on to something that requires slightly more effort like Jump Rope.
Before you know it, you'll be doing Push-Ups, Pull-Ups, Core Work and eventually be back to pushing Weight.

Also, throw on some Heavy Metal/Rock/Rap music, something to get that Testosterone flowing.
Metallica, AC/DC & DMX get me moving.

Quote: (07-07-2016 04:36 AM)H1N1 Wrote:  

MY advice would be slightly different from some of the above. I think a big part of the reason people fail is that they try to go from doing nothing to doing a powerlifting/bodybuilding etc program 6 days a week. You burn out in no time doing that, and since your training has no direction, you fall off pretty quickly.

If it's possible for you, I'd recommend taking up a sport. This will focus your mind and your training on what needs to be done. I have stepped up my own training having recently joined a rugby club, as it is clear that I need to build some additional muscle to help absorb the impacts.

Failing that, if you are not competitive, then I would suggest you start by getting into the gym for 40 minutes 3x per week. No whinging, no I can't be bothered, none of the psychobabbling to yourself. It simply becomes something you need to get done 3x in a 7 day period. That way you can structure your week accordingly. It doesn't matter when you train, so long as you get 40 minutes in 3x each week, and don't work the same muscle group two days running.

In addition, lose weight. This will make you more motivated. As we learned from Thomas the Rhymer's excellent thread on balls, fat people's bodies are less hospitable environments for testosterone, and consequently make them less able to motivate themselves. Here is a diet to lose weight: Each meal must contain animal protein. Breakfast can contain a modest carb source (1 slice of toast with butter, a bowl of porridge, etc), but must have some protein (a couple of eggs, for example). Your lunch and your supper are: 1 decent portion of animal protein (6oz or so), and as many vegetables as you can eat. You can have any sauce you like with it, but ideally it will be one you make (a good one, for example, if you're stir frying some stuff, is half a can of chopped tomatoes, 1 large teaspoon of 5 spice, a squirt of ketchup, a dash of soy sauce, and a teaspoon of honey - simple, tasty, and quick to prepare. Serve over a load of stir fried veg and meat). No sugar unless it is honey or dark chocolate (even then, be restrained).

No other carbohydrates most of the time. Some rice, potatoes, pasta etc is ok if you're sitting down with your family for supper, or out with a friend. Just hit the meat and veg diet most of the week and the weight will come off. Don't lie to yourself though, and don't fuckup a whole weekend. Cut the booze as far as possible for as long as you are trying to lose weight. See it as a short, intense period, where you are getting your shit straight. Try to enjoy the discomfort and see it as a personal test. Failure to adhere is tacit acknowledgement of your lack of mental fortitude. Noone likes to be a loser.

One of the biggest tricks to getting/staying lean is not buying bad shit. Do not buy chocolate or crisps when you go shopping, and it won't be there for you to snack on when you get home.

If you are someone who likes to snack, try to control what it is you're going to snack on. For me, if there are crisps around, I'll hose a thousand calories worth in about 10 minutes if left to my own devises. Instead, I personally buy olives stuffed with anchovies. They are cheap, healthy, delicious, and after about 5 or 6, I've had enough. Try to find something similar that works like this for you.

Damn right H1N1. Meat and veg for the win, cook the veg in butter and there's nothing finer. I have only eggs, fish, meat and veg in my cupboard, and just a frying pan to cook in.

I'd also try to get into some form of intermittent fasting habit.

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

Theduncan

When do you feel most energetic during the day?
Morning, afternoon, night. Set your time to work out then.

Start small. Walk for 30 minutes, do 25 push-ups, 25 sit-ups, 25 squats. As you feel more and more energetic add more volume, add workouts, add weights, etc.

Recheck your diet and make sure there aren't a lot of simple carbs that spike and crash your energy and blood sugar levels.

How much sleep are you getting a night? This could be a big factor because if you aren't well rested you will never feel energized.

Once you get going and build a solid routine and habit going will be much easier. Working out, losing weight, sleep and gaining energy all build on each other so the more you do them the better, more energetic and healthier you'll feel.

Quote: (07-07-2016 11:56 AM)realologist Wrote:  

Theduncan

When do you feel most energetic during the day?
Morning, afternoon, night. Set your time to work out then.

Start small. Walk for 30 minutes, do 25 push-ups, 25 sit-ups, 25 squats. As you feel more and more energetic add more volume, add workouts, add weights, etc.

Recheck your diet and make sure there aren't a lot of simple carbs that spike and crash your energy and blood sugar levels.

How much sleep are you getting a night? This could be a big factor because if you aren't well rested you will never feel energized.

Once you get going and build a solid routine and habit going will be much easier. Working out, losing weight, sleep and gaining energy all build on each other so the more you do them the better, more energetic and healthier you'll feel.

Great advice here, remember, don't wait for the energy or motivation to come before you start working out.

Do what he says, start small and get on a routine. Motivation is for pussies and never lasts.
Pyramiding up over time and being forever-consistent on a routine, this is how real men are forged.
One brick at a time.

Use some money to buy good workout clothes, good running shoes, a good gym membership, etc. When you financially invest in something, you are more likely to want to use those resources.

Pay a trainer for a few private sessions. That will motivate you to show up, and your trainer will help give you the extra push. Hopefully you will quickly reach a point where you will no longer need to see the trainer because you will be motivated yourself.

Drink a quarter to half a can of sugar-free Red Bull beforehand. It's a nice pick-me-up.

Try to find a friend to go running with.

Isaac Jordan I would of had no idea where to start with pre workouts, that C4 stuff is awesome! I went from being tired and doing like 3 pull ups to busting out 4 sets of 5 and pacing back and forth.

I am doing push ups, crunches, pull ups and squats, all body weight.

Now to get my running in order, thanks for all the advice guys.

Quote: (07-13-2016 12:33 PM)TheDuncan Wrote:  

Isaac Jordan I would of had no idea where to start with pre workouts, that C4 stuff is awesome! I went from being tired and doing like 3 pull ups to busting out 4 sets of 5 and pacing back and forth.

I am doing push ups, crunches, pull ups and squats, all body weight.

Now to get my running in order, thanks for all the advice guys.

Glad to hear it helped! Good for you brother.

I first started working out after graduating from college, and the only time I could go would be after work when I'd generally be dragging ass from a full day at the office. So I'd sneak off to the bathroom half an hour before close and down a scoop and a half of C4.

After a few weeks of this, I began to associate the physiological come-up and carpe diem-ish boost of the preworkout with the excitement of getting off work, and I went from dreading the gym to actually looking forward to it. Now, five years later, going to the gym is the best part of my day, even if I'm only running on a few hours of sleep and a shitty cup of coffee.

I fully credit C4 (or preworkout in general I suppose, that's simply the brand I ended up with) with helping me get over that initial hump, from forcing myself to hit the gym to genuinely enjoying it. I know a lot of guys that use it as a crutch, and there's certainly a downside (caffeine tolerance/addiction, primarily), but as a tool that helps you establish such a worthwhile habit it's absolutely worth the costs.

Yea I'll try not to abuse it but man this made me feel so good today, It made me antsy in a good way unlike coffee, I just I want to exercise and bang my girl and I just have a good feeling in general, feels good to get a good workout in, sweat and feel your muscles burning.

I also used C4 sport which I hear is not as strong as the one you posted, I will be getting that powder next.