rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

"Travel in Style?" to South America

Hey guys. Could I get your input on clothes to bring? [Image: king.gif]

Planning my trip to South America with a 55L Backpack.
I'll be flying to Argentina, Buenos Aires first, heading to a couchsurfer's home. Then checking out the nightlife and culture during my travels.
Any outfit to look good, really. How did you guys pack for your South America travels?

Someone suggested not to bring jeans because it'll take up space in my pack.
I'd like to bring sandals, sneakers, and some boots with me. So my only concern is pants and shoes.

I'm going to do some hiking as well so I'm trying to economize my space right now.

Why would you not bring jeans, unless you want to look like a German who walks around wearing hiking or track pants all the time.

Take you favourite jeans, chinos and some dress pants you can wear with a nice shirt if you plan on going to some nicer places

Quote: (07-04-2016 08:44 AM)Franks Wrote:  

... during my travels.
.... your South America travels

Don't want to sound rude, but you don't travel "in style" with a backpack. Furthermore, an extended trip (from what I understand) just with just a 55L luggage ?!? ........ get a soft wheeled luggage of 75L (minimum if it's for an extended trip), with enough space and change to feel comfortable and attractive to women (who are BTW in Argentina very fashion-conscious). Especially if by "nightlife" you mean trendy spots, and not holes in the walls for cheapos or backpackers.

Sometimes I really have the feeling to be here on the Loney Planet forum. To each its own I suppose.

Taxis are cheaper in Latin America than, say, Europe. So walking with a backpack and getting around on public transport becomes less important. I usually travel with a regular suitcase anywhere in Latin America.

Jeans are pretty good for traveling. I would go ahead and pack them.

Seasons are important in Buenos Aires. Don't forget to check typical weather for the month you'll be there. Remember it's the southern hemisphere, so seasons are opposite.

If you need to pack heavier stuff like a coat, it doesn't even need to fit into your luggage. You can just wear it onto the plane then stow it in the overhead locker during the flight.

Quote: (07-04-2016 11:35 AM)Vronski Wrote:  

Don't want to sound rude, but you don't travel "in style" with a backpack. Furthermore, an extended trip (from what I understand) just with just a 55L luggage ?!? ........ get a soft wheeled luggage of 75L (minimum if it's for an extended trip), with enough space and change to feel comfortable and attractive to women (who are BTW in Argentina very fashion-conscious). Especially if by "nightlife" you mean trendy spots, and not holes in the walls for cheapos or backpackers.

Sometimes I really have the feeling to be here on the Loney Planet forum. To each its own I suppose.

Lol you're not being rude, you're just helping me prepare my trip! So it's all good.

I've talked to a few backpacker that advised me not to pack too much gear and any more than 55L would be too much. Led me to think wheeled luggage would slow me down.

It'll be an extended trip, so right now I'm looking into a visa for Paraguay and Bolivia.

I'll have enough time to buy some clothes until September, to think about what I'll bring with me.
Will need some chinos and dress shoes though

I have an obsession with packing to look as good as possible without the hassle of carrying around a heavy backpack or deal with luggage.

I think 55L is a bit much. I pack around 12L in a messenger bag and I think I dress better than 99% of travellers. With the messenger bag, I never look like a backpacker or that I'm in transit. The key is knowing how to mix and match and only buy clothes with the best quality in mind with a special type of fabric ideal for travel. The best travel fabric is Merino wool, nothing compares for it's moisture wicking and non-stink properties.

Pants: Don't bring jeans, unless maybe they are raw denim but just don't because they are too heavy. Bring one dark chinos in black or charcoal is plenty enough. Woman don't notice that you wear the same pants every time they see you the same as they do your shirts.

Shorts: One modern short made out of nylon or poly for quick drying when you hit the beach and look good enough on the town. Unqilo has a good one

Jacket: Quarter lined sport coat in Navy or Charcoal. Make sure they are lined on the shoulder and arm so they drape properly. This is luxury item so unless you plan on wearing it a lot, maybe don't bring it.

Dress shirts: Bring 2 dress shirts. Wool and Prince makes some great ones out of Merino. Stick with solid colors to better mix and match.

T-shirts: 2 v-neck t shirts in solid colors

One tank top: This is important. You don't want to wear out your good shirts by wearing it to sleep

Underwear: A pair of underwear

Shoes: versatile shoes that looks great with pants and shorts. I like white sneakers like the new Chuck Taylor 2 for a more youthful look

Toiletries: Bring the bare minimum and buy the rest at your destination

Laptop: Buy the lightest ultrabook you can find. Some even weight 1.8 lbs

I have other things such as perfume and universal adaptors etc... but they don't take up a lot of space. This is pretty much all I bring. You have 4 main look with the 2 dress shirt and 2 v-neck. Once you layer it with the sport coat you have a total of 8 looks

Argentines are some of the best dressed people. You want to dress well if you intend to pick up.

For hiking bring some old clothes that you can throw away. You can buy nice designer clothing relatively cheap once you are there.

There are two ways to travel.

(1) Frequently in transit.

If you are frequently in transit, you'll want to pack an extreme minimum. You'll be carrying your luggage a lot and every extra pound is going to hurt. Time in each place is at a minimum, so you won't want to waste time finding somewhere to store your gear before hitting the sights, so having something you can comfortably carry is important. It's ideal if you can live out of something as small as a messenger bag.

(2) Occasionally in transit.

If your plan is to spend a week or more in one location before spending a day or two in transit and then spending another week or more in a new location, you can pack a lot more. In this case, you probably plan to socialize and pursue women, so a good wardrobe is ideal. You don't want to give off a backpacker vibe.

I can fit a very decent wardrobe into a 60L backpack or suitcase.

I'll bring 1 pair of running shoes for athletic activity and then a pair of anonymous tan shoes and something else unusual like blue dress shoes. Sandals of weather appropriate. Will cut down on sock use.

Then 2-3 suit jackets (grey, blue and maybe something unusual) that don't have a history of easily wrinkling. Five or so short-sleeved dress shirts that can be worn by themselves, or under a suit jacket. Two pairs of dress pants (charcoal and blue) and one pair of jeans. Seven pairs of socks. I don't wear underwear, I'm too alpha.

No one would ever guess that I'm a tourist, unless they see me with my pack or suitcase.

This leaves plenty of room in a 60L for a computer, camera and other things you may want to have with you.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Don't bring a laptop if you don't need to, a smartphone or tablet should do. It's not even so much about the space for me, it's more about the fact that you have to be more careful with your bag and have to worry about it getting wet or stolen.

Ipad Mini's are pretty good and they aren't that expensive.

If you are going places where it's colder consider getting a one of those down filled jackets that weighs nothing and you can roll it up into a small ball. At higher elevation it can get pretty cold at night in SA.

Doing " Some hiking" doesn't mean you should travel like a Hobo

Nothing worse when I see fellow Americans trying to game chicks in cosmopolitan cities wearing hiking boots, $10 jeans, and a t-shirt that looks like he cleaned his boots and his dong with it.

It's a nice feeling travelling light, but if you take a backpack then you will get backpackers chicks, if you take a suitcase with proper clothes then it's a different story. And better to get your clothes at home, they will be more expensive there

Quote: (07-04-2016 08:11 PM)BangBoy123 Wrote:  

Nothing worse when I see fellow Americans trying to game chicks in cosmopolitan cities wearing hiking boots, $10 jeans, and a t-shirt that looks like he cleaned his boots and his dong with it.

It's a nice feeling travelling light, but if you take a backpack then you will get backpackers chicks, if you take a suitcase with proper clothes then it's a different story. And better to get your clothes at home, they will be more expensive there

So because you carry a backpack, it automatically makes you look like a hobo? and if you carry a backpack, you can't carry nice clothes?

It's not the backpack that's the problem. You can certainly carry a backpack (a nice clean black bag and not those hideous neon color bags) and still look great but lets be honest, you're not gonna look that great with a back pack or a rolling suit case. Now a nice leather duffel bag on the other hand..

The point is, you're not gonna carry your bag or suit case picking up chicks.
It doesn't really matter what you use to carry your clothes as long as your clothes are nice to begin with

Quote: (07-04-2016 10:34 AM)Sidney Crosby Wrote:  

Why would you not bring jeans, unless you want to look like a German who walks around wearing hiking or track pants all the time.

Take you favourite jeans, chinos and some dress pants you can wear with a nice shirt if you plan on going to some nicer places

I didn't bring jeans to South America and regretted it. Apart from skinny chinos and shorts, I brought a pair of hiking trousers and tracksuit bottoms.

Had I been as style conscious as I am now, I'd have felt like an underage sex tourist, or a German backpacker, walking around the streets of Buenos Aires wearing them. [Image: biggrin.gif]

Dressing well definitely matters in Latin America the further south of the continent you are.

A single pair of jeans won't take up that much space and a good one will do the work of several.

Quote: (07-04-2016 11:35 AM)Vronski Wrote:  

... during my travels.
.... your South America travels

[Image: bsflag.gif]

My backpack was exactly that size for South America and a bit bigger (65L) for both big Europe trips and I most definitely was able to travel "in style" — more so for the latter.

I never cease to be amused by people comparing backpacks to suitcases the size of Tasmania and thinking you need the latter to dress well while travelling. The truth is by knowing what to combine, you're able to make a little go a long way.

The last time I spent time in Europe, I brought along 5 collared shirts and a couple of smart pullovers, which came to just under 1kg.

I've never filled up my backpack to the top whenever I've travelled for an extended period, yet like Stickman said, I've also managed to dress better than 99% of travellers — let alone merely those with rucksacks. It often means having to eschew a blazer or jacket, which can be a dead weight when travelling in between climates — which is the case when spanning South America or during a European summer. Have any of you guys done that without getting it all wrinkled?

[Image: dodgy.gif]

Yes and no.

"Doing some hiking" and getting off the beaten track is no excuse for looking like a homeless dude. On the hand, it's silly to suggest that your bags are a decider for which chicks you'll game.

Are you seriously going to let your luggage determine your mode of travel?

I spent 4 weeks on a sailboat just before I hit landfall in South America. Hence I dressed for the elements and comfort rather than for the runway. Maybe I simply wasn't prepared for going from sailing in equatorial regions to the 35°C heat of northern Brazil, to the temperate conditions of Argentina and Chile. In hindsight, I still thought I looked like a fool wandering around in a fleece jacket and fleece vest.

I didn't pack a whole lot more, ultimately, the next time I was in Europe. Even though I spent a lot of time hitchhiking, I could draw from my backpack enough clothing to hit the smartest clubs.

I could do everything I needed on a laptop on my mobile as well. I found it less of a burden than bringing my laptop to Europe later on and having to worry constantly about it getting smashed (which happened) or stolen.

Quote: (07-04-2016 09:13 PM)Stickman Wrote:  

So because you carry a backpack, it automatically makes you look like a hobo? and if you carry a backpack, you can't carry nice clothes?

It's not the backpack that's the problem. You can certainly carry a backpack (a nice clean black bag and not those hideous neon color bags) and still look great but lets be honest, you're not gonna look that great with a back pack or a rolling suit case. Now a nice leather duffel bag on the other hand..

It doesn't really matter what you use to carry your clothes as long as your clothes are nice to begin with

You cannot put a nice suit into a backpack, unless you buy one of those plastic ones from Walmart. Also, shoving a nice pair of shoes into a backpack is not good.

Best to have a suitcase or some other rigid-bag.

Take a suitcase with you, then if you get the desire to do some hiking then get a backpack.

Suits said it best here. I would mention that you can fit all that (less the extra shoes) in a carry on. The trick is to not pack underwear and buy some Nike's on the spot. It helps to have a quality bag.

If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It's the only good fight there is.

Disable "Click here to Continue"

My Testosterone Adventure: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V

Quote:Quote:
if it happened to you it’s your fault, I got no sympathy and I don’t believe your version of events.

Quote: (07-05-2016 02:19 PM)BangBoy123 Wrote:  

You cannot put a nice suit into a backpack, unless you buy one of those plastic ones from Walmart.

I've travelled with 4-5 bespoke suits in a backpack with no problems. The trick is to take them out once you've landed and steam them next to a nice hot shower.

Also, shoving a nice pair of shoes into a backpack is not good.

Done this without trouble. For best results, stuff the shoes with socks to save space and to keep their shape.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Quote: (07-04-2016 09:13 PM)Stickman Wrote:  

You cannot put a nice suit into a backpack, unless you buy one of those plastic ones from Walmart. Also, shoving a nice pair of shoes into a backpack is not good.

Best to have a suitcase or some other rigid-bag.

Take a suitcase with you, then if you get the desire to do some hiking then get a backpack.

Yea if you're going to bring suits with you then certainly bringing a suitcase is not a bad idea, but even then you don't need it to carry your suits with you. Talking about suits is a far cry from your original statement saying that if you take a backpack, you will get backpacker chicks.

Thanks guys. Definitely got a lot out of this thread. [Image: smile.gif]
Even when everyone talked on a wide range of clothing options and suits, I started to search around and do my own shopping.

Awesome advice Stickman, you too Suits.I'll probably get a shirt or two from Wool and Prince. I never imagined the quality and material would be an issue while traveling.
I'm going to buy some shorts at Uniqlo and some chinos in Banana Republic. What do you think about Billabong's shorts?
I see mixed feedback on jeans and a sport coat so I'll think about it.

If cold weather is an issue, I could dress in layers and thermals. Right?
Any preferences on shoes or color of shoes?
Having sandals, athletic sneakers, and dress shoes is ideal for me.

And for underwear, are you suggesting dri-fit ones? Like ones I can hand wash (if I really do want to economize space lol)

I'll think about hiking later. Interested in working on my wardrobe right now.

Another upside to dressing nice is that the robbers will think you're a successful gringo and will be more likely to target you.

Quote: (07-22-2016 11:14 AM)Franks Wrote:  

Thanks guys. Definitely got a lot out of this thread. [Image: smile.gif]
Even when everyone talked on a wide range of clothing options and suits, I started to search around and do my own shopping.

Awesome advice Stickman, you too Suits.I'll probably get a shirt or two from Wool and Prince. I never imagined the quality and material would be an issue while traveling.
I'm going to buy some shorts at Uniqlo and some chinos in Banana Republic. What do you think about Billabong's shorts?
I see mixed feedback on jeans and a sport coat so I'll think about it.

If cold weather is an issue, I could dress in layers and thermals. Right?
Any preferences on shoes or color of shoes?
Having sandals, athletic sneakers, and dress shoes is ideal for me.

And for underwear, are you suggesting dri-fit ones? Like ones I can hand wash (if I really do want to economize space lol)

I'll think about hiking later. Interested in working on my wardrobe right now.

Billabong short looks good. Anything quick drying and not looking like board shorts will do.

Do an all white leather sneaker, they go with everything. The leather makes it easier to clean than canvas but I think canvas look better. Loafers are good too if you like a more dressier style. I like the beefroll loafers myself.

I don't like those synthetic materials for underwear. Merino wool is ideal for underwear for their non-stink properties. Icebreaker makes some good ones. Wool and price has decent ones but they are too thick and trap heat in.

For colder weather, pack the sport coat and scarf. The scarf can act as a towl. Your merino wool v-neck and dress shirt act as thermal. This is only ideal for cooler weather. For cold weather, you need to pack something that blocks the wind.

I hand wash all my clothes. It's awesome to not have to worry about laundry, keeping track of what's clean or dirty, not able to wear your favourite shirt for that one special date because it's dirty... etc

I could do everything I needed on a laptop on my mobile as well. I found it less of a burden than bringing my laptop to Europe later on and having to worry constantly about it getting smashed (which happened) or stolen.

I'm waiting for the future where mobile phones can truly replace laptop. My bag will weight around 3 lbs which is insane.

I've never filled up my backpack to the top whenever I've travelled for an extended period, yet like Stickman said, I've also managed to dress better than 99% of travellers — let alone merely those with rucksacks. It often means having to eschew a blazer or jacket, which can be a dead weight when travelling in between climates — which is the case when spanning South America or during a European summer. Have any of you guys done that without getting it all wrinkled?

Merino wool cut down wrinkle dramatically. If I roll it up properly, I never have to worry about wrinkles.

Hey guys. Could I get your input on clothes to bring? [Image: king.gif]

I'll be flying to Argentina, Buenos Aires first, heading to a couchsurfer's home. Then checking out the nightlife and culture during my travels.
Any outfit to look good, really. How did you guys pack for your South America travels?

Someone suggested not to bring jeans because it'll take up space in my pack.
I'd like to bring sandals, sneakers, and some boots with me. So my only concern is pants and shoes.

I'm going to do some hiking as well so I'm trying to economize my space right now.

You can probably get by with one pair of good jeans and you can wear those when in transit so they don't take up too much space. Might look weird but you can wear the boots as well while you're in transit. IMO you should be able to look nice and travel out of a backpack, especially if you have access to an iron. Next time I take a trip, I'm actually hoping to get by in a little more than half the space you'll have. I think the keys are: don't be afraid to buy things on the ground, don't be afraid to leave behind what you don't need and wear the bulkier items while in transit.

Be honest with yourself about the type of hiking you plan to do. If you're only taking day hikes then sneakers should be fine. If you want to do some hard core multi day treks then you might need to bring more than just boots.

On another note, I'm not sure how much you plan to move around but many higher end hotels will often let you leave luggage with them for a fee.

I'm hoping to go to Colombia around September and someone mentioned that most of the guys who have done well there dressed nice, so I'm going to pop a question about clothes into one of those threads.

Quote: (07-23-2016 02:38 AM)Stickman Wrote:  

I don't like those synthetic materials for underwear. Merino wool is ideal for underwear for their non-stink properties. Icebreaker makes some good ones.

I hand wash all my clothes.

Was skeptical at buying merino wool underwear but I gave it a shot, went for Icebreaker on Amazon. Although hand washing my clothes..... may take me awhile to get used to.

Quote: (07-23-2016 11:59 AM)DoctaWho Wrote:  

I think the keys are: don't be afraid to buy things on the ground, don't be afraid to leave behind what you don't need and wear the bulkier items while in transit.

Be honest with yourself about the type of hiking you plan to do. If you're only taking day hikes then sneakers should be fine. If you want to do some hard core multi day treks then you might need to bring more than just boots.

You're right, I had the assumption that clothes were expensive in Argentina but, I have what I needed now.
Save the thought of hiking later.
With everyone's advice on this thread, I felt confident in packing up the essentials [Image: sleepy.gif]. Especially with my trip starting in 3 days from now.

White Leather Sneakers, Nike Sneakers, Brown Boat Shoes
Two V-Neck Shirts (Gray & Faded Black), Two dress shirts (Blue & White w/ Pattern)
Charcoal Chinos & Stone (color) Shorts w/ Brown Belt
A dark Navy Blue Blazer
A few No-Show socks
Two pairs of underwear

[Image: melange-garment-weekender.jpg?t=1456188783]

Do yourself a favour and get something like this. This will be my next purchase. That's how you travel in style, keep your suits and shirts looking fresh and keep things organized.

I use to be a big fan of merino wool until i discovered how delicate the material is

Take the goddamned backpack. I spent 6 months in S. America with a bigass bag the first time and I regretted it. You WILL have to hike around with that shit and drag it down the street and through the bus stations. Sometimes you'll get off a bus and figure out that your next bus stop is several blocks away. Sometimes your hostel might just be a mile up the street and you don't want a taxi. You don't want to haul a bag around. I took a nice 75 backpack this last time and was happy as hell for it.

Take a pack.