rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Facebook tracks everyone, including non-users, all around the Internet

If Facebook was a person we would call this creepy as fuck.

Can we agree that its creepy to follow around and track someone that wants nothing to do with you?

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/27/117952...s-plug-ins

Facebook has been doing a lot of shady things for a long time now.

Also take a look here: http://stallman.org/facebook you will be surprised.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

So Facebook doesn't know that I browse this forum because I can't see any Facebook switches and buttons here right?

I use ghostery, I would like to think it disables those trackers, but I have no real way of knowing.

"A stripper last night brought up "Rich Dad Poor Dad" when I mentioned, "Think and Grow Rich""

that's old knowledge. every page where you can like something with your facebook account tracks you. use a different browser for your facebook.
block facebook with noscript in your regular browser

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Greatest lesson of business, If your business pisses off Richard Stallman, it is a fantastic business. It is probably a multi-billion dollar company.

I don't see what the big deal is anyway. All it takes is to have an account under fake nickname, use photo of you without your face as profile picture and not fill out any personal data in the about you sections. All the data facebook will quietly collect about you will be details about a person named johnny bravo who has a profile picture on which he stands in the mountain with his back turned.

How can that harm your privacy?

Did you expect business ethics from the likes of Mark Zuckerberg? His invention has probably damaged communication more than any other tool in recent history. Sending e-mails has become a lost art form today.

Thanks for the reminder, I just installed a couple of blockers

Good links. Self-Destructing Cookies + Privacy Badger Firefox extensions are suited for combating this.

Quote: (06-27-2016 02:41 PM)XXL Wrote:  

I don't see what the big deal is anyway. All it takes is to have an account under fake nickname, use photo of you without your face as profile picture and not fill out any personal data in the about you sections. All the data facebook will quietly collect about you will be details about a person named johnny bravo who has a profile picture on which he stands in the mountain with his back turned.

I wish it was that simple but these companies probably have technology that is more advanced than we realize. Facebook owns Instragram, Whatsapp and has purchased over 50 other companies. If you leak any of your personal information into any of those platforms then they can probably connect all of your fake accounts to the real you.

I think Google is a bigger problem than FB. It's easy to get away from Google search, gmail and android mobile devices but Google is entrenched in the web in many places we don't realize either. Youtube is owned by Google and there isn't a viable alternative because most of the videos on Youtube aren't available anywhere else.

I'm not a computer guy so maybe someone else can address this but I think Google can track you on this forum when youtube videos are embedded in the thread you are reading.

Quote: (06-27-2016 05:26 PM)birthday cat Wrote:  

I wish it was that simple but these companies probably have technology that is more advanced than we realize. Facebook owns Instragram, Whatsapp and has purchased over 50 other companies. If you leak any of your personal information into any of those platforms then they can probably connect all of your fake accounts to the real you.

I think Google is a bigger problem than FB. It's easy to get away from Google search, gmail and android mobile devices but Google is entrenched in the web in many places we don't realize either. Youtube is owned by Google and there isn't a viable alternative because most of the videos on Youtube aren't available anywhere else.

I'm not a computer guy so maybe someone else can address this but I think Google can track you on this forum when youtube videos are embedded in the thread you are reading.

I'm a big believer in doing what you can, not worrying about the rest. So let's just focus on some actionable stuff.

Facebook
- Don't install any Facebook apps (this is the main way they link your WhatsApp and Facebook accounts together)
- Don't give them your real phone number
- Limited info on your profile

Google
- Swap all the Google services you use (some resources for that here)
- Self-Destructing Cookies + Privacy Badger to block Google tracking you around the web
- Use a VPN that you've never logged into a Google account. If you need to use an account for whatever reason always use it on a separate browser and not that VPN
- For embedded YouTube videos, they can see only who you are if you're logged into YouTube whilst watching them. Otherwise it's just an IP address as well as the referrer (URL of the forum post)

Most web traffic throughout the world goes through either Amazon or Google (or both). The only true way you can stop being tracked is to stop using private internet without VPN or Tor and even then dont give out identifying information....or just cut of all internet access. Facebook tries every avenue to get you to use their services just like Amazon and Google.

Try this: https://www.privacytools.io/

I can't help but think that these programs are at least sophisticated enough to take the actual content of the posts, run them through a bunch of filters and over the course of 100 posts identify someone through their literary habits alone.

Aloha!

The public will judge a man by what he lifts, but those close to him will judge him by what he carries.

Quote: (06-27-2016 07:25 PM)Valentine Wrote:  

Don't install any Facebook apps (this is the main way they link your WhatsApp and Facebook accounts together)
I assume that Facebook apps includes any apps that use Facebook for logging in, i.e. dating apps.

I guess Facebook and the government know all about the sluts I'm talking to on Tinder. Fuck you Zuckerberg.

This is how I see Facebook, especially given their willingness to work with the government:

[Image: 114249.jpg]

Quote: (06-27-2016 05:26 PM)birthday cat Wrote:  

All it takes is not to publish any personal information. I think the whole trick with internet is to have accounts with fake usernames on every site you use so that even if one account leads to your another one they're still all fake and have no real personal info.

This profile can lead to my twitter then to my quora blog then to my burner email which even if is hacked will reveal bunch of mails from other sites I have accounts with no personal data. IP tracking is another story, I have no idea how that works but that is fucked that it is even possible.

Search.disconnect.me is good google alternative. Openstreetmap.org instead of googlemaps.

I knew of this since 2008, op.

A lot of good tools and good knowledge input in this thread.

To those who already knew: then it is a very good reminder this.

[Image: facebook-big-brother-is-watching-i-dont-...858045.png]

Facebook is definitely watching everything. In one of my groups, a post was flagged by Facebook. It was not reported by any human.

This isn't particularly unusual for an advertising company.

Facebook is in the process of building a display network similar to Google AdSense: https://www.facebook.com/business/news/a...erformance

To serve ads on third party websites and control frequency, Facebook has to use cookies. Otherwise its network wouldn't have any real targeting capabilities beyond URL/keyword targeting. This is no different from what Google and thousands of ad networks do.

IMO Google is a much greater potential privacy threat than Facebook, since they also have access to your emails and search history. You control what you share and talk about on Facebook, whereas Google can look through your entire search history, likely dating back many years, if they are ever required to.

Quote: (07-01-2016 11:42 PM)wings Wrote:  

IMO Google is a much greater potential privacy threat than Facebook, since they also have access to your emails and search history. You control what you share and talk about on Facebook, whereas Google can look through your entire search history, likely dating back many years, if they are ever required to.

Search history only and only someone was careless enough to be logged in to Google Plus when doing online searches.

To do online searches you do not have to be logged in anywhere.

So usually they do not have your personal search history.

Also Facebook has much more than all your private messages between you and your friends.

Facebook also has you private pictures and all your preferences,
what you like, what you comment on Facebook, and all the phone numbers
of you and your contacts.

Also facebook apps are listening to your offline real world
conversations:

Facebook is using smartphones to listen to what people say

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/...57526.html

Quote: (06-27-2016 03:58 PM)chicane Wrote:  

Thanks for the reminder, I just installed a couple of blockers

Which are the best scripts blockers?

Facebook has placed me on postblock and almost banned me on multiple occasions.

Stuff like this would scare the regular person. You gotta see this shit as an opportunity.

Nope.