rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Keeping your old phone number for two factor authentications

I'm seeing more and more accounts requiring two factor authentication codes to access them. When logging in, I get a text on my mobile number containing the code, I enter the code, and I'm in.

For you expats and location independent folks, do you keep your old number to get the codes whenever two factor authentication is required?

If you're changing numbers along with SIM cards, do you update the phone number on your accounts?

Or do you buy a cheap unlocked phone and use that to receive texts/calls on your old phone number while you travel?

I keep my old phone number active no matter where I go for this very reason (even though it never gets normal use). I have calendar reminders set to tell me to charge it before the number expires. Otherwise you'll have to jump through a bunch of hoops to re-authenticate yourself from a foreign country to any new number you get.

It's easiest just to keep your original cell phone number active indefinitely.

That's what I'm thinking also.

- Buy cheapest unlocked phone I can find
- Port number to a pay-as-you-go plan like t-mobile
- Insert t-mobile sim in cheap phone
- Feed the pay-go account with a few dollars every now and then to keep it topped off

Is the last bullet what you mean by "charging" your number before it expires?

Yeah, check with the issuing company, there's usually a specific period after which the SIM & associated number expires permanently. This is separate to the 'charge expiry' on the prepaid sim. The SIM charge can be left empty (e.g. only used to receive SMS), but after being empty for a long period the whole SIM&number expires. I just make sure I do the minimum recharge before that period expires.

Buy a VoIP number and get an app like CSipSimple for your phone.

I port all old numbers to Twilio, US #s are $1 a month. Its more of a developer platform but fairly easy to forward calls or texts.

No need for sim cards

I've been using RingTo and it works great. And it's free. As long as you have an Internet connection, you can make/receive calls, SMS and MMS.

“….and we will win, and you will win, and we will keep on winning, and eventually you will say… we can’t take all of this winning, …please Mr. Trump …and I will say, NO, we will win, and we will keep on winning”.

- President Donald J. Trump

Quote: (06-22-2016 02:43 PM)YossariansRight Wrote:  

I've been using RingTo and it works great. And it's free. As long as you have an Internet connection, you can make/receive calls, SMS and MMS.

Now that looks interesting. I may switch over to that before my pay-go account runs out.

Why not just port your cell phone number to Google Voice? I do that, just log into Google Voice from whatever country you're in or whatever phone you're using.

Quote: (06-22-2016 12:14 PM)CleanSlate Wrote:  

For you expats and location independent folks, do you keep your old number to get the codes whenever two factor authentication is required?

I never kept my old Canadian number when I left and no regrets or need for it anyway. Still have one of the original Thai phone numbers that I got when I first arrived here. I basically cut the umbilical cord when I left Canada and in retrospect it helped me integrate here much faster.

Take into account that post paid subscriptions often work in more countries compared to prepaid subscriptions.

Quote: (06-22-2016 02:14 PM)Off The Reservation Wrote:  

I port all old numbers to Twilio, US #s are $1 a month. Its more of a developer platform but fairly easy to forward calls or texts.

No need for sim cards

This. I use Twilio and it great. I have two numbers with them.

My business is in this space, and yeah, basically Twilio, Google Voice or getting a number with the Burner app or Hushed app is probably your cheapest option, if you really want to go the most inexpensive route (Burner and Hushed literally just buy numbers from Twilio, mark them up, and offer them to you in a nice mobile app). Personally, I have a T-Mobile line and I just use this as my primary line around the world, since T-Mobile has free data roaming and pretty decent rates on roaming calling.

get a google voice #, use this number for any authentication, download hangouts on your phone and this is no longer an issue

I highly recommend fully switching to Google and signing up for their Project Fi phone service. It includes unlimited international texting in most countries, as well as no additional charge for calls back to the US if you're on WiFi. I signed up for it a few months ago, and I absolutely love the service I get, especially with international travel.

Quote: (06-22-2016 07:48 PM)natas305 Wrote:  

... since T-Mobile has free data roaming and pretty decent rates on roaming calling.

never heard of that.. do you know if they got free data roaming on the prepaid plans?

You can get an American number from Talkatone, or a Canadian number from Fongo. Both are Apps that you can install on your phone and will work as long as you have Wi-Fi or data. And they're super cheap.

Quote: (06-24-2016 10:20 PM)gang Wrote:  

Quote: (06-22-2016 07:48 PM)natas305 Wrote:  

... since T-Mobile has free data roaming and pretty decent rates on roaming calling.

never heard of that.. do you know if they got free data roaming on the prepaid plans?

I don't believe it's on the prepaid plans, but it's on all the basic Simple Choice plans.