rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Tired of 5x5 (or 3x5)? Try Daily Undulating Periodization

I've had good results over the past few months using an intermediate program based on daily undulating periodization. I believe this is a lower stress method to training if you are an intermediate and routines like the Texas Method are a bit too grueling for you. I'm in my 40's, so a Texas Method volume day would probably wipe me out.

There is good science behind it. From Greg Nuckols:

http://strengtheory.com/the-bogeyman-of-...-you-need/

Quote:Greg Nuckols Wrote:

In one of the classic studies in this area, two groups of subjects that had been training for an average of about 5 years prior to the study (not elite athletes by any stretch of the imagination, but they at least had some time under the bar) used either a linear periodization, or a DUP training plan.

The results? Mindboggling. These two groups had put in essentially the exact same work over 12 weeks. The workouts were the same, the order and structure were just different.

The DUP group experienced almost exactly double the results. 28.8% vs 14.4% improvement on bench press, and 55.8% vs. 25.7% improvement on leg press.

Several other studies have shown similar results, but the study groups weren’t large enough to reach statistical significance (often a problem in training studies).

Of course, to be honest about the data, there is one study showing that block periodization may be slightly better than DUP under certain circumstances.

However, the fact remains, DUP is a better setup than most of the popular programs out there.

And in another article he explains the mental aspect:

Quote:Quote:

Let’s start by looking at the various beginner routines out there. When you look at the Starting Strength program, or Stronglifts 5×5, or any of the other LP programs, what do you see?

Basically the exact same workout every time you walk into the gym. The same exercises, with the same volume and intensity, in the same rep ranges, 5 pounds heavier than last time. I’m not saying it can’t work, but for many people it’ll be just as much a test of their patience as it will be a test of their strength. Why not keep the latter while dispensing with the former?

When you move past that, you see a much broader range of approaches. There’s Sheiko with vanilla exercise selection and the same general intensities, with weekly fluctuations in volume. There’s Westside with a load of exercise variation, but similar volume and intensity week to week. There’s the Cube and 5/3/1 that have more weekly variation in loading, with the Cube having a broader array of exercises than 5/3/1. There’s Madcow and the Texas Method with variations in volume and intensity workout to workout, but the same training setup week to week. Going back to the Rhea DUP study from earlier in this article, the same principles apply. Some things change (volume and intensity with each session), while others remain constant (exercise selection and the structure of the training week). In all these examples, there’s variety of some sort or another to keep the training fresh, while retaining enough consistency for you to gauge progress.

The great thing about this scenario? They all work. Plenty of people have gotten good results with all of them.

So what do we make of the program hopper? Are they ADD, lacking diligence and motivation? Or are they simply trying to find the type of training that clicks with them?

Motivation comes from both intrinsic and extrinsic sources. Your choice of training plan can substantially affect your extrinsic motivation. The more you enjoy your training, the more extrinsically motivating it is. It’s the whole behaviorist idea of reinforcement. The more you enjoy going to the gym and training, the more that reinforces the behavior. The more apt you are to continue lifting, and the more effort you’ll put into your training. Conversely, if you’re intrinsically motivated to train, but your training plan bores you to tears and you stop looking forward to going to the gym to carry out the training you have planned, it starts setting up a more aversive relationship with training.

When you like what you do, it sets up a positive feedback loop. You enjoy training, so you’re more motivated to train harder, so you get better results, so you enjoy training more, so you’re more motivated to train harder, so you get better results, etc. Worst case scenario is that, even if the training is psychologically appropriate, it’s not physiologically appropriate. In that case, you can retain the training structure that you enjoy, and make some changes within that framework to get the results to start coming again.

http://strengtheory.com/in-defense-of-pr...revisited/

If you search the web you can find various programs which incorporate the DUP principles. I'll describe the one I used. If you are interested in following it, and have an iOS device, I would highly recommend downloading the MultiYear Weight Training App:

http://www.weightliftingapp.com

This app by Robert Frederick is excellent and probably deserves it's own thread.

The program I followed is called "Phase II" and it cost a few bucks to download.

Basically it's similar to many other full-body programs in that you have two full body workouts that you alternate between: A and B. Workout A is Squat, Bench, and Rows plus accessories of your choice. Workout B is Deadlift, Overhead Press, and Pulldowns/Pull-Ups plus accessories.

The program cycles through high and low rep schemes. Each mesocycle (about 1 week) contains 4 workouts: A (Low), B (High), A (High), B(Low). There are 3 mesocycles: 8 reps / 15 reps, 5 reps / 12 reps, and 3 reps / 10 reps.

As an example, one week's worth of workouts (one mesocycle) would look like this:

Workout A (Sets of 8): Squat 3x8, Bench 3x8, Row 3x8
Workout B (Sets of 15): Deadlift 3x15, Press 3x15, Pull-Up 3x15
Workout A (Sets of 15): Squat 3x15, Bench 3x15, Row 3x15
Workout B (Sets of 8): Deadlift 3x8, Press 3x8, Pull-Up 3x8

The second mesocycle would be 5/12, and the third is 3/10

The goal is to progress by pushing up your 1 rep. max. as measured by a 1RM calculator*. The percentages are :

15 reps: .65 x 1RM
12 reps: .72 x 1RM
10 reps: .77 x 1RM
8 reps: .82 x 1RM
5 reps: .9 x 1RM
3 reps: .95 x 1RM

For instance, suppose your 1RM on the bench press is 270 lbs. Then on a day you are doing 8 rep sets, you will attempt to lift .82 x 270 = 221 lbs. (Round that down to 220 lbs.) If you lift 220 eight times your new 1RM is 273 lbs. And so forth. You can increase the weight lifted by a weekly percentage increase, or a fixed increment. I have personally found that I am stronger in some rep ranges than others, so things will fluctuate depending on the workout, as one would expect, but overall your 1RM moves upwards over time. As the weight gets heavier I prefer using fixed increments. (That is, if the last time I lifted 215x8, then next time I do sets of 8, I will attempt 217.5x8 or 220x8)

The app program also incorporates reverse pyramids, so for example, the second set is only 90% of the first set's weight. (The second and third sets basically become AMRAP sets for adding volume, depending on how you feel that day (some auto-regulation). The goal is to hit the rep target for the day as a minimum if fatigued, but generally you attempt to go higher. If you are doing sets of 5, then the sets will usually look like: 5 reps, (lower weight) 6 reps, (lower weight again) 8 reps.

Again, if you are interested in following the exact program, I highly recommend downloading the app. It does all the math for you.

Quote: Robert Frederic Wrote:

The first prominent feature in this program is the reverse pyramid set structure. There are three basic set structures: pyramid, straight sets, and the reverse pyramid. With the pyramid, you increase the weight every set. That means you use the heaviest weight when you are tired. With straight sets, you keep the weight the same between sets and try to reach your rep targets. In order for this to work you need a weight you can still lift a given amount of times when you are tired and on your last set. That means the first sets weren't too hard. Finally, with reverse pyramid sets, you do the heaviest weight you can handle while you are fresh, then lower weight to accommodate fatigue and get some additional volume in with the remaining sets.

The next feature in this program is the daily undulating load. This is the current best model of periodization for strength development known. Concurrently training the muscle throughout the intensity spectrum leads to rational hypertrophy as all components of strength are developed in parallel. Due to the needs of this phase, the ratio between hypertrophy and strength work is 2:1.

Another feature of this program is the organization into monthly blocks. During the course of the month, the mean volume will decrease while mean intensity rises. The practical utility of this organization is that effort is first directed into building muscle before it is made more efficient.

In my opinion this program should take you up to the point where your lifts are heavy enough where the second lift of the day starts to suffer and it's time to think about doing one big lift per day, as in 5/3/1 or something similar.

----------------------------
*Note: The Brzycki-Epley Formula for estimating 1RM is:

(w) X [ 36/(37 - r) ]

w = weight lifted
r = repetitions

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Android version?

Лучше поздно, чем никогда

...life begins at "70% Warning Level."....

Good thread. Layne Norton's PHAT is supposed to be a good DUP programme. Haven't got round to it yet.

I thought this video was a decent very quick explanation of DUP principles.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

5 x5 not worth it in my opinion. Even only 1 heavy set OK for muscle.