rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Boar Hunting without fire arms

So for those who don't know, I live a nomadic lifestyle that often finds me wild camping.
Been in Europe/Scandinavia for the last five years and I have become aware of just how ignorant most people (including license bearing fat bellied so called hunters) are about the propagation of not so mild wild critters out there.
I of course refer mainly to the wild Boar but have had run ins with other beasties but not as many as with the damn pigs

Anyone I know - other travelers specially - that hasn't personally encountered one think they are easy to scare-off and/or evade /run away from.
The very few people I know who have encountered or hunt them agree with me in that they are a bloody piece of work.

It has occurred to me that, since they are so abundant and closer to civilized areas than people think, that it would be a fun thing to learn to hunt them since besides the thrill I would have access to premium source of protein(and BBQ excuses!)

So of course I am doing my own research on the matter but it occurred to me that maybe someone in this forum of manly pursuits would be familiar with non fire-arm methods of dealing with and/or disposing of these piggies?

We move between light and shadow, mutually influencing and being influenced through shades of gray...

Not a hunter but air rifles should do it. Or perhaps a cross bow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boar_spear

On youtube it seems the hunting method is to use dogs to round up / pin down the boar, and then the hunter kills it with the spear. Seems like more 'fair' hunting, as the boar charges and the hunter does have a chance of being hurt if he's not skillful enough.

Are we talking about wild boar? I doubt an air rifle would do the job. Big game arrows could provide a kill shot if accurate, but I know my hunting friends would take a sidearm with them because feral pigs are one of the most dangerous animals to hunt.

That's an interesting option! I guess it would be a problem for packing in my rucksack.

We move between light and shadow, mutually influencing and being influenced through shades of gray...

Quote: (05-12-2016 09:00 AM)Valentine Wrote:  

Here lies Valentine, tuskily gored to death by a thoroughly pissed off boar.

The boar spear is actually an idea I am fancying very much,. Specially since I can dismantle it And use it as a walking cane when not in the wilderness.
I do have an am staff that holds his own against dogs but he alone i fear might not be enough for a pig

Quote: (05-12-2016 09:17 AM)El_Gostro Wrote:  

The boar spear is actually an idea I am fancying very much,. Specially since I can dismantle it And use it as a walking cane when not in the wilderness.
I do have an am staff that holds his own against dogs but he alone i fear might not be enough for a pig

[Image: attachment.jpg31511]   

OK, mechanico ! I'M SOLD!!!!!

You guys are really underestimating how powerful a boar is.

I had a neighbor back home who said he would go hunting for a boar with no less than a .50 caliber revolver. He says that their skull plates are so thick that they can stop rifle bullets.

I don't want none of that.

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.

Bare-hand boar hunting. Making boars my bitch.

[Image: boaring.png]

Y'all know the best shit for that is to fall in a cauldron of magic potion.

[Image: tard.gif]

Quote: (05-12-2016 09:37 AM)Fortis Wrote:  

You guys are really underestimating how powerful a boar is.

Yeah don't try it against something like this [Image: biggrin.gif]

[Image: wild_boar_3.jpg]

You're a brave man.

Those things can gut a man in a couple seconds easy.

I wouldn't hunt them without a rifle, pistol back-up, and a few other guys shooting at it.

Well I'm saving up for one of cold steel's spears I ve found. The next challenge will be to find the time and place to practice

Quote: (05-12-2016 12:02 PM)El_Gostro Wrote:  

Well I'm saving up for one of cold steel's spears I've found. The next challenge will be to find the time and place to practice

See USA maps - unlimited ability to practice... across much of the USA...

Deer hunters face unwanted competition as feral hog explosion thins herds

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/03/31/dee...herds.html

Probably not an option for you since you're in Europe but my Dad once got to hunt African Bush Pigs using trained baboons in South Africa. The baboons catch up to the bush pig, hop on it's back and ride it for like 20 minutes. Once the bush pig tires out, you can literally walk up to it and slit its throat.

Something similar to this ...

^ Holy shit, that should be labeled as NSFW. I LOL'd so hard because of this I cried..

Great method tho, those are some really well trained monkeys.. I don't think my dog could ride a pig like that.

Quote: (05-12-2016 12:47 PM)Anabasis to Desta Wrote:  

[Image: mindblown3.gif]

That song...

[Image: laugh6.gif]

Where I live they're considered an invasive species and there's no bag limit. I've gone out looking for them a couple of times (heavily armed, mind you), but they are surprisingly elusive and certainly not an animal to take lightly.

If you're going the spear route then you ought to have a pack of specially trained dogs to assist you. You need some good "bay dogs" to track them and keep them at bay until you can get there with your "catch dogs" (usually pit bulls or American bulldogs outfitted with kevlar vests) that physically hold the hog while you come in with your spear/knife/whatever. It's a dangerous and messy affair that I wouldn't even attempt unless you knew what you were doing and had well trained dogs.

The only other "safe" option might be to snare/trap one, provided it's legal where you live, and then finish it off with the spear.

Quote: (05-12-2016 09:00 AM)Valentine Wrote:  

I have a Benjamin Marauder in .22 caliber. My friend bagged a coyote at 30 yards with a head shot from a Marauder in .25 caliber. The muzzle velocity is comparable to a 230 gr .45 caliber bullet.

"Feminism is a trade union for ugly women"- Peregrine

I've hunted pigs before with a rifle. They have poor eyesight, but that doesn't mean they are sitting ducks. If they smell you, or hear you, they can run through the underbrush as fast as a bolt of lightning. Without the assistance of dogs I seriously doubt you will be able to get close enough to spear one anyway.

And also, if you do get one, the meat will most certainly be infected with trichinosis (this is where the religious aspect of pork being "unclean" is rumored to come from). Be sure to cook the meat all the way...and then some. I've eaten bear that was infected but if you cook it really well you will kill it. I work with a few people who have been infected with trichinosis from eating undercooked bear meat- they were cooking ribs over campfire and were hungry, so it was bound to happen. If you have a crock pot you can leave it in that all day. If you are a camping nomad cooking over a fire...be careful.

Thanks for t he advice peeps! I'm not thing this lightly, guess I ll start training slowly as well as investing in protective gear for my pooch as well as training him. Will probably try to get one with assistance when I do engage e at least t he first time. It's interesting to know that air rifles have that kind of stopping power nowadays!

Since you say you are nomadic, I assume you don't have a freezer? What were you planning on doing with the meat? And you can't dry it / smoke it/ salt it like other meat because that won't kill the trichinosis. So you'd have a ton of meat and no way to eat it all before it goes bad.

The dog is a good idea, however you have to feed it every day, so long term the dog will probably be a net meat "outflow" (meaning the dog will eat more than it brings in, unless you plan on taking more than the occasional boar). There's also the possibility your dog gets killed or mauled, those board have sharp teeth will tear through flesh and bone if cornered and fighting for their life.

I think another good option is trapping them. I don't see why you couldn't go with a snare. You can take everything from a bear down to a rabbit with a snare, so it should work for a boar. They will have a path they like to frequent - perhaps a trail to water or food source. You set the snare on the path about at the height of the animal head, then you place some wood / sticks / debris on each side of the snare. The animal may see the snare, but it also sees the debris on each side of the trail blocking its path, and it won't want to leave the path, so it will walk into the snare and it will get caught around its neck. You should check your snare at least daily- the animal may still be alive and you need to kill it, or some other animal will take your prize. Where I live, if you don't check your snares right away, the wolves will take it if you don't. In the winter time when there's snow it's really easy to trap because you can see the tracks in the snow, especially when it's fresh.

Not sure where you are exactly in Europe, but I'd guess trapping is heavily regulated...or even outlawed.

Really the easiest way would be to find another hunter, or a group of hunters, and go with them. It's easier to get an animal / skin and pack an animal when you have help, and they may even have equipment they let you use while you are with them. Plus you will learn some invaluable tips and skills on skinning, even if you've already done it before.