rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Transitioning from powerlifting to bodybuilding. What program should I start with?

Transitioning from powerlifting to bodybuilding. What program should I start with?

Hey guys, I've been intensely following the Starting Strength program for the past year and have achieved my strength goals.. 2.5X bodyweight deadlift, 2X bodyweight squat and 1.5X bodyweight deadlift. I am 5 10 and 180 lbs.

Before strength training I had been doing calisthenics on and off for years, giving me a solid foundation. at this point I've grown tired of powerlifting, and would like to improve my aesthetic and throw my body a curveball.

What is the best hypertrophy based bodybuilding program for experienced, natural lifters?

http://www.musclehack.com/
The THT programme. Bought me good size gains, and doesn't have INSANE volume. Just about right. Ultimately I got off it since I decided to try training a muscle group twice a week.
From that, I switched onto the Body transformation blueprint by Sean Nalewanyj. It has served me very well upto now. Ultimately it depends on the amount of time you have on your hands.
Also, experiment. Stick with a programme for around 3 months and see where it gets you. Then switch up. I cannot say this enough.

Doggcrapp Training is really good if you have a nice strength base and like to train with intensity. Nice transition from powerlifting because the overall volume isnt too high. I got great results. Actually I still incorporate it on the daily.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/a-concise-guid...-training/

For bodybuilding purposes I swap Bench Press for Incline Bench Press.
Up the rep ranges to 8 to 12, maybe even try 12 to 15 if 8 to 12 isn't doing it for you.
Squats and Deadlifts are still great for muscle growth!
For a brutal fiber stimulating workout, try 15-20 rep ranges.

Also - Trap Bars/Hex Bars are my favorite for high rep work.
Squats and Deadlifts always eventually aggravate my Sciatic nerve and Sciatica is no joke. The pain can linger for 6 to 7 days.
Trap Bars/Hex Bars (whatever you call them) allow me to work similar muscle groups as Squats/Deadlifts but with no sciatica issues.

If you are a natural bodybuilder you will have to understand that there is only so much muscle your body can genetically hold on to at low bodyfat %

Don't be surprised that when you hit 6% to 8% bodyfat you are at or near the same weight every single year, regardless of how much muscle you gained on your bulk.

If you are on anabolics then this is not an issue.

Leangains.com

Reverse Pyramid Training, HIT and lots of diet hacks like intermittent fasting work great for getting your body on point.

RippedBody.jp is a derivative site as well with more comprehensive explanations of the Leangains approach.

Thankyou, gentlemen. The journey has been fun.

Long time power lifters are usually built like a fireplug, very thick in the waist. Body builders are usually looking for a slim waist, with a muscular upper body and legs. If you're looking to do body building, then the key is to select exercises focused on the specific muscle groups you want to get bigger. Hypertrophy comes from doing 8-12 reps on the targeted muscles. Just re-evaluate which muscles to target every couple of months. You can work your own lifting program if you just follow these principles.

Of course, low body fat is also critical, so your six pack will show.

I'm the tower of power, too sweet to be sour. I'm funky like a monkey. Sky's the limit and space is the place!
-Randy Savage

Yup it seems like doing a lot of deadlifts and squats tends to thicken the torso.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

^Can you explain why higher rep ranges work for muscle growth better than higher intensity lower rep ranges?

What I've found in my brief searches has been that the nervous system is highly stimulated and fatigued by high intensity, as all of the muscle fibers have to fire in a coordinated way. So, the fibers don't necessarily tire first.

For higher rep ranges, the neural fatigue and coordination of simultaneous firings isn't as critical, letting the raw muscular fibers hit fatigue.

Do I have it close to right? I've heard higher rep for bodybuilding for so long but nobody seemed to be able to explain why and I was very skeptical of it. I tend to disbelieve anything that I can't compartmentalize and understand they "whys" of.

For what it's worth, the 10 rep range has been working very well for me.

You need both, really, if you are natural. Higher rep ranges build up sarcoplasm, which increases endurance but also helps with leverages as the muscles fill with fluid and get bigger. Lower rep ranges for myofibrillar hypertrophy.

If only you knew how bad things really are.