rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Relationships with bosses

Hi, any advice on building relationships with bosses or superiors at a workplace?

Been working out of my home for a couple years and have slacked off on my awareness of office politics; at my job I communicate via a chatroom with others at the company, rather than working in an actual building or office where conversation would naturally occur.

Sometimes my superiors show up in the chat, but I'd feel that sending them a personal message or email like they're a "FB buddy" would be inappropriate.

What would you guys say the appropriate boundaries are and how to try to build rapport with a superior without seeming like a brown noser? Have any of your worked out of your home and had a similar experience to share?

Dear EDantes,

regrettably I have not been through a similar position which would enable me to give you advice specially fitted for your case. I’ve never worked such that the only way I’d be able to talk to my superiors was via chat.

There is an article that popped into my head, written by Quintus Curtius On How To Gain Your Boss’s Appreciation. It is more structured around the usual office dynamic but maybe (and I hope) that you’ll find something useful there.

Apart from that I don’t see any other opportunity than to send your superiors a neutral mail concerning about your work and see how they respond. Sometimes it happens that they leave a silken line within their answer mail via a question, statement etc. that you can use further.

And you’ve reminded me about a podcast which Mike Cernovich did in which he explained on how he came in contact with people he wanted to and how he made himself stand out. It’s audacious; it is bold but it worked for him.

Hope this helps.

Romans 8:31 - 'What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?'

My notes.

Mike Cernovich Compilation 2015 | 2016

The Gold from Bold

It's difficult if not nigh impossible to build rapport through a chatroom. If you want to build strong political connections, you need to be onsite. As they say, out of sight, out of mind.

Quote: (04-18-2016 09:01 AM)Guriko Wrote:  

Dear EDantes,

regrettably I have not been through a similar position which would enable me to give you advice specially fitted for your case. I’ve never worked such that the only way I’d be able to talk to my superiors was via chat.

There is an article that popped into my head, written by Quintus Curtius On How To Gain Your Boss’s Appreciation. It is more structured around the usual office dynamic but maybe (and I hope) that you’ll find something useful there.

Apart from that I don’t see any other opportunity than to send your superiors a neutral mail concerning about your work and see how they respond. Sometimes it happens that they leave a silken line within their answer mail via a question, statement etc. that you can use further.

And you’ve reminded me about a podcast which Mike Cernovich did in which he explained on how he came in contact with people he wanted to and how he made himself stand out. It’s audacious; it is bold but it worked for him.

Hope this helps.
I appreciate it; occasionally the higher ups call us to check up on us, other than that there is no voice to voice communication.

(As mentioned I'm not sure if it'd be appropriate to just 'hit up' the boss in chat or ask to call them in my spare time).

Quote: (04-18-2016 12:25 PM)EDantes Wrote:  

(As mentioned I'm not sure if it'd be appropriate to just 'hit up' the boss in chat or ask to call them in my spare time).

That's fine, as long as you don't waste their time. They might be confused or wary if you're calling just to talk. That's why it's hard to build rapport as a remote worker - there's no opportunity to shoot the shit on a coffee run or lunch.

You can call or DM a boss asking if they would be open to a coffee chat for the purposes of discussing your future at the firm. That way they'll know what you want to talk about and won't be surprised. During coffee, you'll have to angle to be brought onsite one way or another.

Yeah, at my last job we used the chatroom feature, which was kind of annoying, since this one woman would always send me personal messages and then give me a call on the office line from across the room. Anyway, I've gone out to dinner with my boss a few times, along with other co-workers. I'm 24, he's 56, and he's a pretty cool guy. I've talked about my girlfriend, where I'm working out, where I'm planning to travel next. I sail a bit, as he did when he was young, so it's a safe talking point. He's a pretty conservative, red pill guy with a 21 year old daughter who lives at home (she's pretty cute), so I'm certain we're on the same page, thought wise.
If your boss sucks, then just grab food or a drink after work two or three times a year and discuss hobbies.

Also, it depends on where you're working and if you're planning on staying in that field. I'm in real estate, so I've gone to a bunch of networking events and I've joined certain organizations, such as green organizations, organizations which promote LEED certified buildings, and a few others. Really, just having something in common on that level helps. If you're a data analyst or something and if you can't wait to move on, well, I can't help you and you should probably spend more time look for another job rather than networking with your boss.

What kind of workplace? Makes a HUGE difference. At a lot of jobs it will be regardef as odd. At most high tier white collar jobs( anything you'd need to go to a top tier school to get into) its expected that you will actively network up. Some of you all will recognize instantly who I'm talking about here but one firm I interviewe form actually want their LDP hired to track their networking and count it against you if you aren't meeting someone new every week.