rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Taming the hype

Taming the hype

A complaint I get with the travel subforum is that there is hype on places that don't deserve it. Perhaps a guy goes to a city, kisses a couple girls, and then comes back here to make it seem better than it really is.

I think both positive and negative commentary on places should be qualified with comparisons. If a place is good, what places have you been to that are worse? If it's awful, what places have you been to that are better?

For example, if I'm doing a Denmark report, I'll say, "This shit sucks. It's worse than everywhere I've been, including DC. Brazilian/Colombian women are much hotter."

If I just said, "Denmark sucks," that doesn't mean much since my tastes are obviously different than everyone else's. Sucks compared to what?

There was a recent thread of a guy who went to Stockholm and was singing its praises. It turns out that he was comparing it only to a city in Canada. That information came later but would've been useful early on.

It's fine to get excited about a place, but give as much detail as you can while comparing it to other places so readers can make better judgements about where to go. I realize that a lot of guys travel based on information they read here, so I want to make the forum as accurate as possible.

If you see a guy that is hyping a place without giving supporting evidence or comparisons, feel free to use this new emoticon:

[Image: hype.gif]

Code:
Code:
:hype:
It translates to: please elaborate with more facts and less vague praise.

Taming the hype

What about if someone is hyping a place they haven't even been to yet as we see so often?

Taming the hype

Quote: (07-16-2011 01:16 PM)Gringo Wrote:  

What about if someone is hyping a place they haven't even been to yet as we see so often?

Use the emoticon to warn others and then PM in private so I can deal with it.

Taming the hype

+++++1 I noticed the same thing that you have. A lot of the guys on this forum are bigging up places that they have never been to.

Taming the hype

I like this idea.

Personally, I would like to see more "VS threads" (you know I like a good match up).

ie Riga VS Tallinn or

Bogota VS Buenos Aires or

Lviv VS Poznan

etc.

Taming the hype

Quote: (07-16-2011 01:34 PM)Theogreat Wrote:  

+++++1 I noticed the same thing that you have. A lot of the guys on this forum are bigging up places that they have never been to.

Dash Global style!! [Image: confused.gif]

Taming the hype

Taste in girls can also be very wide spread, I recall somebody posting a pic of some girls they "did" in Brazil and they were nothing special.

I enjoyed the Stockholm report, but the poster is also 18 years old and it seemed like his first trip out of the country.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

Taming the hype

There was a hype thread on here recently about bucharest

Place is ok but nowhere near as good as made out. Bulgaria just next door is better imo

Taming the hype

Roosh, maybe you have app or something for members to show where they have traveled to. That way the reader can qualify the writer's experience if he thinks its important.

I think calling out 'hype' is going to be so subjective. If someone hasn't been to a place, can he really call out 'hype'....

Rude, I think you are right. Personal tastes might matter more than actual travelling experience. For me, the Brazil posts always seem overhyped, even when the writer has traveled a lot...probably because I'm not into big asses, Brazilian faces, etc. Then again, I haven't been to Brazil yet...I prefer the Swedish look, all 'hype' being equal.

Taming the hype

Everyone's tastes and skill-levels vary, so one has to learn to take every post and report with a bit of a grain of salt and not give in the urge to form absolute opinions. Perhaps there should be a little disclaimer or sticky for everyone to be reminded of this.

With that said...

My major pet-peeve is when guys slum-dive for chicks in third world countries and then make posts talking about how they "killed it in Cambodia" or "Ghana is a pussy paradise." These types of posts really fooled me 1-2 years ago before I had traveled much. Now that I've been to a lot of those third world countries I realize that: 1) the girls are generally always unattractive, 2) they'll fuck anything that's white and 3) these guys were shoring the entire time.

Shoring's fine and everything, but describing getting laid in countries like that in pick up terms misleads guys who don't know any better. I was so stoked to get to Thailand last year after reading a couple posters' "epic" adventures there on this board, and I was MAJORLY disappointed when I realized that 90% of the girls there were dirty prostitutes who'd follow me home for no other reason than I was young and white. Even the insinuation that getting laid in some of these places can be called "pick up" is horribly misleading and a little insulting to the guys who actually are going out to countries like Poland and Ukraine and Argentina and trying to get it done legitimately.

Anyway, rant over...

As for countries in the developed world, mileage is always going to vary based on race, age, skill-level, looks, personal preferences, cultural knowledge, language knowledge, etc. So I'm fine hearing conflicting reports. I do agree with Roosh though that reports should be presented up front with things such as travel experience, any cultural/language experience and level of pick up skill. That 18-year-old kid's trip to Sweden was interesting, but it was definitely important to know that he was 18 and it was his first time abroad to put it all in context. I also think it's important to be honest about how long you spent in a place, how many times you went out, roughly how many girls you approached, etc. There've been a number of reports from guys who went out like twice and made all sorts of assumptions based on like 4-5 approaches in one venue.

Taming the hype

Personally I've fucked a lot of foreign girls in 3rd world countries but the majority were middle class girls with good lives, education, money and very few of them were pros, I don't imagine I'm alone. Also to say that 90% of girls in Thailand are hookers is plain wrong, you only think that because you didn't venture any further than the tourist whore bars on Sukhuvit like 99% of the other whoremonger tourists do.

Taming the hype

Adding to what Entropy said, I too take every post on here with a gran of salt.

So many factors goes into a trip its fucking ridiculous.

Looks
Race
Social Connections
Bank Roll
Time of Year
Preference
Venue Selection
Game Style ie direct / indirect
Dress
Grasp & level of the Countries Language
Personality
Level of prior knowledge / intel on location
Luck

I could go on, but you get the point.

Taming the hype

Quote: (07-16-2011 04:33 PM)Gringo Wrote:  

Personally I've fucked a lot of foreign girls in 3 world countries but the majority were middle class girls with good lives, education, money and very few of them were pros, I don't imagine I'm alone. Also to say that 90% of girls in Thailand are hookers is plain wrong, you only think that because you didn't venture any further than the tourist whore bars on Sukhuvit like 99% of the other whoremonger tourists do.

Easy there tiger, I wasn't talking about you. I was referring to the, "I was there for 4 days and banged 4 girls" type posts that were much more common here a year ago or so.

And yes, I figured that out about Thailand on like day 3 and went elsewhere. But thanks for telling me how my own trip went.

Taming the hype

I know you weren't talking about me I was simply pointing out in response to your post that everyones only pulling unattractive girls and shoring that it might not always be the case, I'd hardly consider myself a master with women or a male model so if I'm managing to pull a decent calibre of women then i'm sure many others are too.

Quote:Quote:

And yes, I figured that out about Thailand on like day 3 and went elsewhere. But thanks for telling me how my own trip went.

Why did you make a silly comment that 90% of girls are pros then if you went to 'proper' Thai clubs? You would know most of the girls there aren't interested in the slightest in farangs, they certainly aren't hookers. Only someone who spent all their time in whore bars (and probably still being unsuccessful) would be complaining that all the girls are whores.

Taming the hype

Quote: (07-16-2011 04:36 PM)Dash Global Wrote:  

Looks
Race
Social Connections
Bank Roll
Time of Year
Preference
Venue Selection
Dress
Personality
Luck

I agree with all of this. I guess that is why just providing some practical information like G Manifesto is always asking for is useful. i.e these are the parts of town you want to visit, this club was really cool on Thursday, it had a good looking crowd, safety, prices etc

Taming the hype

Roosh, how about having one thread per city? Not a subforum, because like it was discussed earlier, that might break up the conversation too much. But, maybe a bit more organization is needed. So, if somebody has travelled to Stockholm, they post their experiences in the Stockholm thread. This way you get all the good and bad experiences together. You can sticky the threads for major cities up at the top of the forum.

Also, maybe just have a quick vote at the top of the thread, with a "Do you recommend this city?" question. If there is only one person recommending, versus 10 giving it a thumbs down, you can get a good handle on the situation on the ground.

Taming the hype

Quote: (07-16-2011 05:02 PM)Gringo Wrote:  

I know you weren't talking about me I was simply pointing out in response to your post that everyones only pulling unattractive girls and shoring that it might not always be the case, I'd hardly consider myself a master with women or a male model so if I'm managing to pull a decent calibre of women then i'm sure many others are too.

Because I went to places mentioned on this board, and they were 90% hookers. You did not read my post very well. I never said "everybody is pulling unattractive girls." I specifically mentioned "some guys" who were "slum diving in third world countries," and passing it off as legitimate pick up.

And yeah, not every guy does that in third world countries. Some guys do go for the middle class girls. And that's exactly the point. Guys need to be specific about where and what kind of girls they're picking up, ESPECIALLY in third world countries. Because for guys who haven't been there and don't know what the deal is, it's extremely misleading.

Taming the hype

Quote: (07-16-2011 05:16 PM)ManAbout Wrote:  

Roosh, how about having one thread per city? Not a subforum, because like it was discussed earlier, that might break up the conversation too much. But, maybe a bit more organization is needed. So, if somebody has travelled to Stockholm, they post their experiences in the Stockholm thread. This way you get all the good and bad experiences together. You can sticky the threads for major cities up at the top of the forum.

Also, maybe just have a quick vote at the top of the thread, with a "Do you recommend this city?" question. If there is only one person recommending, versus 10 giving it a thumbs down, you can get a good handle on the situation on the ground.

These are both excellent ideas... although an organizational headache.

Taming the hype

Imagine this scenario: Someone is having success in a city and hypes it up, and then you step in and say "I didn't get much success in that city". That makes you look beta.

I think some guys here care too much about their image...especially those guys with pompous user names.

Taming the hype

Looks
Race
Social Connections
Bank Roll
Time of Year
Preference
Venue Selection
Dress
Personality
Luck

+++++1

This right here is the best post in this thread.

Furthermore, typical message board rules apply. This is merely a medium to give opinions. There are FAR too many different tastes on here. For instance, I am black and would visit Scandinavia based on the reviews I read on here BUT even I know that all I need is maybe 1 or 2 let's say "typical Scandinavian-looking chicks" and I am done. After that, I am back to looking for my "niche" which is a chick with SOME SORT OR PARTIAL african background.

As far as being in some 3rd-world country, one can always avoid the pros and the P4P places. As some of my previous posts hint at, I am not really down for giving chicks much outside of some d!ck...which is the reason why I will hit places frequented by working professionals and/or students. That is MY niche. I don't have gangster/rebel/tattoed/motorcycle game. I was raised a suburban kid so my angle and target chicks will be more inline with "what I think is similar to me" when I am traveling.

Now I will admit, if I can, I will show off a little of my "finances" on myself when gaming a chick. Staying at nice hotels, using a platinum AMEX card and eating/suggesting nice restaurants to enhance my gaming are things I WILL do. Others may not take that route so that is further proof that each person has their own method.

All in all. These are just opinions and nothing more. Nobody on here is the grand-master all-knowing.

Taming the hype

Quote: (07-16-2011 05:07 PM)Jalouse Wrote:  

Looks
Race
Social Connections
Bank Roll
Time of Year
Preference
Venue Selection
Dress
Personality
Luck

I agree with all of this. I guess that is why just providing some practical information like G Manifesto is always asking for is useful. i.e these are the parts of town you want to visit, this club was really cool on Thursday, it had a good looking crowd, safety, prices etc

Yeah, I like when people stick to the facts.

Just tell me where the hot girls are on which nights.

I will figure it out from there.

Taming the hype

Yeah, It all depends on perspective. My first trip where I attempted to game vs an experienced persons trip will be completely different.
Therefore I propose that as prerequisite for trip reports we mention where we have been to before so other forum members know what we comparing to. For example, Stockholm blew my mind wide open but I only have experience in Toronto which is not a great city for poon. So the only conclusion to be gained is that Stockholm is far superior to Toronto. I think thats fair.

Taming the hype

Looks
Race
Social Connections
Bank Roll
Time of Year
Preference
Venue Selection
Dress
Personality
Luck

Actually, do go on. Maybe we can use these factors in user profiles. So after you read a report, click the profile to learn about the dude.

Taming the hype

Quote: (07-17-2011 05:27 AM)Roosh Wrote:  

Looks
Race
Social Connections
Bank Roll
Time of Year
Preference
Venue Selection
Dress
Personality
Luck

Actually, do go on. Maybe we can use these factors in user profiles. So after you read a report, click the profile to learn about the dude.

I fully support this

Taming the hype

I've been tinkering with the profile fields:

http://www.rooshvforum.network/user-1.html (take a look at the right column)

I think that information gives a good snapshot on a guy, so that if you read his report, you can properly compare his experience to yours. What else should I add?