rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Cartagena vs Barranquilla vs Santa Marta

Hi,
I am new here. I did some searching for threads on Cartagena and Santa Marta and did not find what I am looking for. I am curious about all 3 of these cities as I am considering visiting them and possibly moving to one of them.

Can someone compare and contrast them in terms of the following:
01) Safety
02) Price
03) Things to do during the day / night
04) Quality of the women
05) Misc?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to being a member.

Its like comparing apples and oranges man.

All 3 cities are 1hr apart from each other, and except for Cartagena being a tourist hub, everything else us very similar.

Best thing you can do is a recon trip, and stay at all 3, but not sure you will see staggering differences amongst the 3 other than one being VERY tourism oriented.

Mixx

1) Safety - All are about the same, although Cartagena is full of people preying on tourists who will try to sell you stuff or steal what you bring to the beach.

2) Price - Cartagena is the most expensive. It's a city made for vacations - I can't really imagine living there.

3) Things to do - Santa Marta is probably the sleepiest, honestly the city itself is not that impressive. Cartagena has a lot going on due to all the people traveling through, especially around summer and Christmastime when Colombians flock there in droves.

4) Women - lots of pay for play in Cartagena, very hard to tell sometimes who is and isn't for sale. I thought the women in Barranquilla were pretty hot, lots of mulattas, also some Arab influence.

5) Misc - For my money Barranquilla. It's the only one that's a real city, barely. It is very polarizing though; most people think it is ugly. Its design reminded me of LA, very wide streets, and people there like a good time. Cartagena, outside of the touristy areas, is extremely poor. Santa Marta is pretty quiet for a city of its size, kind of bland overall. Tayrona is amazing though.

Why the coast and nowhere else in Colombia? Bogota, Medellin, Cali, and other Santa Marta-sized cities have their charm as well...then again, I miss the ocean.

I wrote an extensive list of everything you asked for for Santa Marta about a week ago so look again.

Yeah, check out Dash's data sheets - lots of good back and forth there

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-3832.html
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-3833.html
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-3826.html

Can't comment on Santa Marta, however I mostly agree with Ajiaco's comments above. Especially re:

"5) Misc - For my money Barranquilla. It's the only one that's a real city, barely. It is very polarizing though; most people think it is ugly. Its design reminded me of LA, very wide streets, and people there like a good time. Cartagena, outside of the touristy areas, is extremely poor. Santa Marta is pretty quiet for a city of its size, kind of bland overall. Tayrona is amazing though. "

Barranquilla is full of hot women, they are renowned for dressing to the 9's on a regular basis, and very sexy. The salsa scene here is huge and also social circle game plays a role to a certain extent. I wasn't there long enough to get a full hold on it. However I am sure it can be cracked given enough time approaches and scoping out of venues.

Cartagena is cool city, sure plenty of tourists, but plenty of locals to be got at if you know where to go and game accordingly during the day etc.

What is it your looking for in a city?

That will determine which city is best for you. I will give a quick synopsis comparing all three

Cartagena - the most expensive of the 3. crazy touristy. good touristy nightlife, ok local nightlife. decent beaches. decent looking women.

Barranquilla - real colombian city. hottest women. best nightlife. beach is not good. not the best aesthetically speaking city. friendly locals.

Santa Marta - ugliest women on a whole. i loved the layout/look/ overall feel of the city. nightlife is decent. close to very nice beaches. real laid back vibe.

Where would I live? Barranquilla hands down. Simply because I like to party and dont like seeing other gringos. Plus the women are REALLY good looking!

Anyone have any opinion on living in Baranquilla for 3-12 months?

Doable?

Good move?

Also, what is the best airline to fly there direct from the US?

TheGMan,

Your gonna run into visa problems past 6 months.

Someone might get alittle bored living in Quilla without a job. You can only go to the mall / movies soo much lol

It would be a great move as far as just meeting and slaying mad honeys.

After i finish my contract in Asia im hoping to land a job in Quilla! Living there would be like pussy heaven for me! [Image: banana.gif]

Dash -

"Someone might get alittle bored living in Quilla without a job. You can only go to the mall / movies soo much lol "

How long were you there for?

Not long. I was referring to touristy stuff and outdoor activities as Quilla is lacking in that department.

Maybe someone thats knows alot about Quilla can chime in on things to do in the city. From what I gathered there isnt much.......

Fad3r,

The safety is pretty much the same for all cities in Central and South America. Use common sense and stay out of the problems areas and you should be fine. In other words dont be a dumb ass. I wouldnt let any perceived safety issues stop me from living in any major city in Colombia.

Im bout to hit up san slavador and guate city, two cities with notoriously bad reputations, with crazy rival gang wars going on! Is that gonna stop me from going and meeting females? Hell naw! Im gonna use precaution and hope for the best!

Haha yea don't worry about visa problems G more like mental health problems as there is really nothing to do. Plus it is so uncomfortably hot, at least whilst I was there, that you won't feel like doing much at all during the day.

Quote: (07-11-2011 04:56 PM)Jalouse Wrote:  

Haha yea don't worry about visa problems G more like mental health problems as there is really nothing to do. Plus it is so uncomfortably hot, at least whilst I was there, that you won't feel like doing much at all during the day.

lol mental health problems!

people cant sit in a fucking house ALL day for months. they would go mad, hence why I said i would recommend getting a job or volunteering or something!

ps ur right about the heat! that ish is brutal!

Quote: (07-11-2011 04:16 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Doable?

Good move?

G - try the three below, flown with all 3. Pretty good, Aires usually cheapest - think Easyjet, but service is better, Copa and Avianca much of a muchness. Try them out see what you think.

http://www.avianca.com

http://www.aires.com.co

http://www.copaair.com

Quote: (07-11-2011 04:16 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Doable?

Good move?

No way I could do it. IF there were no hot girls then there would be zero reasons to go there much less live there. It's basically an industrial ghetto that is extremley hot and humid.

I'm heading to one of those three cities with a good friend to stay for six months starting January; coastal city in Colombia to chase women, kitesurf, salsa, and learn spanish while looking for what's next. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated. I heard Cartagena's decent beaches are at least ten minutes out of town which is fine; same story for B'Quilla or is it a prohibitive distance to the good sand?

GameAbroad

Read Dash's reports...I want to clarify a bit more with hopes of receiving some solid advice.

The plan is to choose one of these coastal cities for six months as a base and get a decent apartment. I'd like to take trips to other cities in Colombia and in Central and South America from the city I choose as a base. Trips to Buenos Aires, Cordoba, Rio, Panama City, Havana, and Manchu Picchu are at the top of the list. In Colombia I'll do some travelling along the coast, Bogota, Medellin and Cali. If I find a place I think rocks then I could decide to move there for a time of unknown length instead of returning to the US.

Spanish, gym, golf, tennis, squash, kitesurfing, etc when not chasing women.

Looking to do this all for $3k a month or less if possible.

GameAbroad

To those who have been to colombia, if you were to compare santo domingo vs Cartagena, who wins in terms of girls with the best booties? I want to visit a city in Colombia but i want to make sure i am going to a city where women have nice booties and they as nice as dominicans. I am usually into dark skin women and mullatas. I am obsessed about big booty chicks, is cartagena or anywhere in colombia the right place for me?

I would be happy if i could get some advice. Thanks.

Gamebroad,

Cartagena to me looks to fit what you are looking for the best.

Dash

Quote: (07-12-2011 08:30 AM)pitt Wrote:  

To those who have been to colombia, if you were to compare santo domingo vs Cartagena, who wins in terms of girls with the best booties? I want to visit a city in Colombia but i want to make sure i am going to a city where women have nice booties and they as nice as dominicans. I am usually into dark skin women and mullatas. I am obsessed about big booty chicks, is cartagena or anywhere in colombia the right place for me?

I would be happy if i could get some advice. Thanks.

Um, take a look at this picture I snapped of a chick in Cartagena. The ass is just retarded!

yeah she is fit..Dash do you think cartagena is the right place for me then?

Pitt,

If you are looking for mulata girls with the best bodies than yes id recommend Cartagena.

The other place Id recommend is Cali.

Quote: (07-11-2011 02:36 PM)MiXX Wrote:  

Its like comparing apples and oranges man.

All 3 cities are 1hr apart from each other, and except for Cartagena being a tourist hub, everything else us very similar.

Best thing you can do is a recon trip, and stay at all 3, but not sure you will see staggering differences amongst the 3 other than one being VERY tourism oriented.

Mixx

Hey man,
Thanks for the response

I am planning to a do a recon trip in June (Panama is in Jan & I just got back from Costa Rica 2 weeks ago). I am tryign to do recon to figure out what cities to visit. As it stands right now I will be visiting Cartagena, Bogota, Melledin & Santa Marta. My goal is to move to Colombia in 2015. I prefer something relatively cheap / safe, something with things to do during the day and nightlife. I would prefer to be by a beach and I know this complicates things which is what draws me to Cartagena. I know I have to go to see what's what

Quote: (07-11-2011 03:05 PM)Ajiaco Wrote:  

1) Safety - All are about the same, although Cartagena is full of people preying on tourists who will try to sell you stuff or steal what you bring to the beach.

2) Price - Cartagena is the most expensive. It's a city made for vacations - I can't really imagine living there.

3) Things to do - Santa Marta is probably the sleepiest, honestly the city itself is not that impressive. Cartagena has a lot going on due to all the people traveling through, especially around summer and Christmastime when Colombians flock there in droves.

4) Women - lots of pay for play in Cartagena, very hard to tell sometimes who is and isn't for sale. I thought the women in Barranquilla were pretty hot, lots of mulattas, also some Arab influence.

5) Misc - For my money Barranquilla. It's the only one that's a real city, barely. It is very polarizing though; most people think it is ugly. Its design reminded me of LA, very wide streets, and people there like a good time. Cartagena, outside of the touristy areas, is extremely poor. Santa Marta is pretty quiet for a city of its size, kind of bland overall. Tayrona is amazing though.

Why the coast and nowhere else in Colombia? Bogota, Medellin, Cali, and other Santa Marta-sized cities have their charm as well...then again, I miss the ocean.

Hey man & thanks for the response. Why can't you imagine living in Cartagena? Is it simply the price? If Santa Marta has no night life nor things to do during the day then I might visit it but i will probably eliminated as a potentail place to move. I hear mixed things on Baranquilla.

What is Tayrona? Is that another city Iam guessing?

I grew up in Manhattan so I am looking to move to a beach area so I can surf & enjoy the ocean. I am kind of over citylife however if I am forced to choose a city in Colombia because everything else does not work out I will be looking at Melledin though I hear it is gringo infested and the locals hate the gringos.

Quote: (07-11-2011 03:14 PM)redneckpunk Wrote:  

I wrote an extensive list of everything you asked for for Santa Marta about a week ago so look again.

It would have been nice if you put a link but i will look up your posts and find it thanks anyway

Quote: (07-11-2011 03:26 PM)Ajiaco Wrote:  

Yeah, check out Dash's data sheets - lots of good back and forth there

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-3832.html
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-3833.html
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-3826.html

I will def check these out thanks for providing the links.

Quote: (07-11-2011 03:43 PM)dk902 Wrote:  

Can't comment on Santa Marta, however I mostly agree with Ajiaco's comments above. Especially re:

"5) Misc - For my money Barranquilla. It's the only one that's a real city, barely. It is very polarizing though; most people think it is ugly. Its design reminded me of LA, very wide streets, and people there like a good time. Cartagena, outside of the touristy areas, is extremely poor. Santa Marta is pretty quiet for a city of its size, kind of bland overall. Tayrona is amazing though. "

Barranquilla is full of hot women, they are renowned for dressing to the 9's on a regular basis, and very sexy. The salsa scene here is huge and also social circle game plays a role to a certain extent. I wasn't there long enough to get a full hold on it. However I am sure it can be cracked given enough time approaches and scoping out of venues.

Cartagena is cool city, sure plenty of tourists, but plenty of locals to be got at if you know where to go and game accordingly during the day etc.

I will probably do day & nightgame and try to build myself a social circle when I get there. Right now this trip will be recon. Once I find the city I like I will spend more and more time there till I invetiably move. I am not too worried as I do quite a bit of daygame in real life so I am pretty well versed in it.

Quote: (07-11-2011 04:13 PM)Dash Global Wrote:  

What is it your looking for in a city?

That will determine which city is best for you. I will give a quick synopsis comparing all three

Cartagena - the most expensive of the 3. crazy touristy. good touristy nightlife, ok local nightlife. decent beaches. decent looking women.

Barranquilla - real colombian city. hottest women. best nightlife. beach is not good. not the best aesthetically speaking city. friendly locals.

Santa Marta - ugliest women on a whole. i loved the layout/look/ overall feel of the city. nightlife is decent. close to very nice beaches. real laid back vibe.

Where would I live? Barranquilla hands down. Simply because I like to party and dont like seeing other gringos. Plus the women are REALLY good looking!

Hi this really great information. Thank you for the response. First of what do you mean by beach is not good? Does that mean it is polluted? Not safe?

Here is what I am looking for in a perfect city. Safe (relative I know), cheap (again relative), things to do during the day and night & hot girls. If worse comes to worse and I am forced to actually go somewhere without a beach I will look first to Melledin. Right now I am still trying to hang on to my fanasty of living in an area with a beach that is cheap, safe and has hot girls. Not sure if that is possible. I am pretty dead set on Colombia because i understand the culture. Most of my friends from home are Colombian. The right way, the wrong way & the colombian way.

I suppose based on ur post each one has different advantages vs different disadvantages. I heard Baranquilla is a really filthy city that smells. I hvae no clue if this is true that is just what someone todl me. Also I have heard there is not much to do in the city itself. Thanks again I will continue to research

Quote: (07-11-2011 04:49 PM)Dash Global Wrote:  

Fad3r,

The safety is pretty much the same for all cities in Central and South America. Use common sense and stay out of the problems areas and you should be fine. In other words dont be a dumb ass. I wouldnt let any perceived safety issues stop me from living in any major city in Colombia.

Im bout to hit up san slavador and guate city, two cities with notoriously bad reputations, with crazy rival gang wars going on! Is that gonna stop me from going and meeting females? Hell naw! Im gonna use precaution and hope for the best!

Haha I love it. Good look & safe travels bro

Fad3r,

Glad you enjoyed my info. I tried to keep it quick and to the point.

From what you just wrote im gonna have to recommend Cartagena. It has everything you are looking for. Only thing is in Cartagena there is places that are not cheap so you will need to know how & where to find the cheaper accommodations, food, ect. Dont go to Boca Grande thinking to secure a cheap condo on the beach front! lol

Suerte!