rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Need help making a decision between Phillipines and Thailand.

So I bought a ticket from NYC to Hong Kong for September 2 with a return date 6 months apart, I will only spend 1 week in HK and then I have to come to a decision on where to go.

I'm thinking Philipines or Thailand, I was just in Thailand for a few months earlier this year and had no problems at all I loved it, but I never been to the Philis.

How does one compare to each other? Bangkok to Manila? I know gaming will be much easier in Manila, but it seems like everything else besides the women is a hassle...food, transportation, finding a good place to live on a budget, as opposed to Bangkok where you can find a private place for $200 a month or less, seems like the Philippines is a place that is more expensive than Thailand even though the average citizen there earns 40% less than a Thai? or at the end of the day everything is the same?

The Philippines intrigues me because it seems like a isolated place, I mean think about it they only get about 5 million tourist a year, you won't be running into drunk Europeans as much as in Thailand and frankly it seems like American culture is loved out there, as opposed to Thailand which they really don't know much about us, they identify more with Europeans there.

Think I'll be able to last 3 months in Manila? or by the 1st week i'll be like fuck this and leave to Thailand?

cant go wrong with either. both will be alot of fun and a fuckfest imo

Quote: (07-07-2011 11:51 AM)Dash Global Wrote:  

cant go wrong with either. both will be alot of fun and a fuckfest imo

Since I'm Latino the more I talk to Filipinas the more i sort of identify with them, it all seems very familiar from the same names of specific foods like empanadas, lechon, cassava (yuca), tres leches to certain tagalog words that are the same, to the similar names and last names.

In Thailand I was just a crazy foreigner that was out there fucking whores and paying 30 times more than the regular thai pays to train Muay Thai that was basically looked at as a walking ATM.

In the Phillippines well... I don't know yet? probably the same without being charged 30 times more to train boxing and kali.

oh yeah and Poker tournaments Manila has good card rooms.

Filmor can you talk about boxing in the Philippines?

I'm thinking of doing a stint in the Philippines but I want to have the sort of high quality intense fight training that I am getting with my muay thai camp in Bangkok.

1. Do they provide the same sort of "live in this nice private room and train twice a day" deal?

2. Is it as intense? Will it keep me in sick shape the way muay thai does?

3. In which places were you doing this training?

Thanks.

------------------------------------------------

Manila for 3 months? I don't see why not, but it is more likely than not that you won't enjoy yourself. Although you will have everything you need as an expat, it is a pretty shady city. Having said that, I can see myself coming to enjoy the city if I stayed there for longer (I was there for two weeks).

I'm in Bangkok now and feel like I could live here.

Why don't you try both?

Oh yeah, the Philippines has the highest or second highest energy costs in Asia, which jacks up the price of rent to outrageous levels.

Filmor,
Try this: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-4210.h...hilippines

Should give you a good overview of both. Instead of Manila, I'd suggest maybe somewhere less crazy and more chill near a beautiful beach. There are a ton of those in the Phils. If you handle the crappy Pinoy food, then you'd have a good time there. But overall, IMO, BKK beats the crap out of the Phils. However, the Phils can be very fun too. I'm sure you'll have an amazing time. I can't wait to return to Asia!

Omg, Pinoy food. Don't remind me.

When are you coming in, VP? I keep forgetting. The 12th?

Pinoy food is not that bad, in fact they have a lot of great dishes and baked goods. I really don't get all the hate about it on this forum, and it makes me wonder where you guys have been eating over there and if you had a Filipina actually cook for you.

I can't comment on Thailand, but I do agree if you come to the Philippines I would recommend you stay outside of Manila, or spend just a little time there and then stay by the beach. You can stay cheaply in places like San Juan and be treated like a Rock Star.

Quote: (07-07-2011 12:40 PM)youngmobileglobal Wrote:  

Filmor can you talk about boxing in the Philippines?

I'm thinking of doing a stint in the Philippines but I want to have the sort of high quality intense fight training that I am getting with my muay thai camp in Bangkok.

1. Do they provide the same sort of "live in this nice private room and train twice a day" deal?

2. Is it as intense? Will it keep me in sick shape the way muay thai does?

3. In which places were you doing this training?

Thanks.

------------------------------------------------

Manila for 3 months? I don't see why not, but it is more likely than not that you won't enjoy yourself. Although you will have everything you need as an expat, it is a pretty shady city. Having said that, I can see myself coming to enjoy the city if I stayed there for longer (I was there for two weeks).

I'm in Bangkok now and feel like I could live here.

Why don't you try both?

Oh yeah, the Philippines has the highest or second highest energy costs in Asia, which jacks up the price of rent to outrageous levels.

Hey YMG, there's two places i'm looking at to train while i'm out there, Filipinos Martial Arts are supposed to be real effective when it comes to weapons and self defense, as well as boxing in Elorde for 5,000 pesos unlimited training, it seems that Kali is very much like Krav Maga where in 3 months a student could grasp a full basic understanding of the system and truthfully i think i'll be able to end a fight much quicker with Kali techniques as opposed to squaring up and boxing someone for a few minutes.

#1 http://www.ptkmanila.com/teachers.htm

2 http://www.elordeboxinggym.com

I guess i'll do both, Kali and Boxing with some what of muay thai training to condition my shins for 3 months in Phils, then over to Bangkok for Muay Thai for 3 months and have the best of both worlds.

The Filipino arts are excellent for real world defense. The sticks teach you speed and angles of attack which translate to knives which translates to empty hands. You'll learn shit you can use much faster than Japanese or Chinese arts.

I think knife fighting would definitely be a useful fighting skill to pick up.

So i been searching listings in the Phils and all this places want 2 months deposit, anyone can recommend a place in the phils where deposits are not needed and i'm not tied into a contract?

Quote: (07-07-2011 01:08 PM)youngmobileglobal Wrote:  

Omg, Pinoy food. Don't remind me.

Guys, please explain yourself, not just provide opinions. Everyone has different taste in food, so a statements like "It was all pork and I don't eat pork" would be more useful than plain "their food really sucked".

Personally I tasted it on local Filipino place, and it was fine. I got rice with some marinaded vegetables and pork sausages, and enjoyed it. Sure it is not Thai food, but this is definitely something one can eat for weeks.

Their food blows because like the chicken nuggets and shit is cooked to a crisp - its like they don't prepare it properly ... KFC is whack.. all of the restaurants are a little "interesting" in terms of food prep - its not the style of food, its the prep.. IMO..

I vote for Phils.. Thailand some people love BKK but I found the people annoying as fuck where as Phil chicks will be honored to take your foreign cock in many cases.

Yeah...im thinking of heading to the Philippines early next year. Im in Saigon right now, and will probably stay here until October...nice city. Im Latino, so I am curious how the Philippines will be as well.
Oh yeah, i've had Filipino food back in New York (A neighbor) and yes, i don't care for it either...

Quote: (07-20-2011 06:12 AM)bluewater7 Wrote:  

Their food blows because like the chicken nuggets and shit is cooked to a crisp - its like they don't prepare it properly ... KFC is whack.. all of the restaurants are a little "interesting" in terms of food prep - its not the style of food, its the prep.. IMO..

Aside from chicken nuggets and KFC did you try any local food?

Everything is the same - the standard is much lower IMO. Other opinions may vary.