rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Who's living the location independent lifestyle?

Curious as to who is in the type of work where they can be anywhere in the world and still making money? And if you are, what do you do?

Freelance translator here.

OK, does it pay well?

I traveled for two years location independent...

My main business was ebooks and information products. I made enough money to get by but wasnt enough so I went back to the drawing board....

Ive taken a look at getting a regular job in latin america but the pay just doesnt do it for me. Plus a regular job ties you down. I would consider being tied down to certain cities in latin america but id rather be free to travel..

After doing a lot of searching around for supplemental sources of income I decided to get into trading.

Ill continue doing the online information products but now im working on supplementong that income with the money I make from trading...

The good thing about trading is that it resembles boxing or mma... You dont depend on clients... You just depend on yourself. Its a solo sport. And its perfectc for traveling.

So in about a year ill have the online ebook and information product sales and ill supplement that with trading...

At the moment im back in jersey making serious cash consulting in IT.... Im taking that income and investing and saving and some of that capital will be invested in the trading and information product business.

id rather be in brazil right now, which was my original plan... But ill sacrifice for another year and enjoy my time traveling again.... Maybe this time for good....

This is what I hope to do after college. I want to focus on investments as well as build up capital to start various businesses. I really want to get into import/export or distribution (not cocaine), where I can travel the world while connecting with clients simultaneously. Does anyone have experience in a field like this and if so, any advice?

Quote: (06-28-2011 04:33 PM)Gringo Wrote:  

OK, does it pay well?

You won't get rich, but if you're disciplined about it, you can make enough to live very well in 2nd/3rd world countries.

Quote:Quote:

After doing a lot of searching around for supplemental sources of income I decided to get into trading.

What sort of trading?

Quote: (06-29-2011 02:56 PM)Gringo Wrote:  

What sort of trading?

I'm learning how to trade e-mini futures for day trading. Only doing 3 trades per day, 1 or 2 contracts per trade for now... maybe in six months to a year I'll increase to more contracts.

I'm also learning how do position trading for medium to long term trades. Also learning about options... I won't do options trading on a daily basis, but will take advantage and use puts and calls and other options strategies when the time is right.

Be very careful with trading futures, options, stocks, FX - you name it, it's all got its risks.
One of the biggest is you do very well one year and so you quit your job and start believing that you somehow learned this skill and are a great trader now - but guess what, you just got lucky and next year you go broke and have to start from scratch again.

Seriously, day trading for a living? Pull any statistic and you will see that way more than half (like 70-80%) of daytraders lose more than they make - are you going to be in the top 20% who make it? Especially since you are saying you are just starting to learn about it now...

Gringo i dont know your age but if you really want to work and be able to travel whenever you want, the best way is to get a good degree and get a job that will allow you to have lots of free time. The information is on this forum, it has been discussed before, there are many jobs out there that will let you combine with this lifestyle, thats of course if you dont think you can make that internet money or you dont have enough funds to invest somewhere where it will generate great income every month.

I have an honours degree but there's few jobs out there where you can earn good money and get lots of free time. How many employers are going to let you go away travelling for months on end. Care to name these jobs you talk of?

As for making internet money, it's not as easy as some people make out.

Trading can be risk, it all depends on how you trade. If you go long on a stock without any hedging or stop losses, that is risky... if you buy a naked call pr put on a stock that is risky...

The way I'm learning to trade is actually not that risky, or at least less risky than other methods.

Nothing in life is risk free. Just look at some of these small business statistics:

http://www.moyak.com/papers/small-busine...stics.html

"about 145,000 new businesses start up each year in this country [Canada], and about 137,000 businesses declare bankruptcy each year" - that's 95%

Anyway.

This is how I'm learning to trade: I trade one or two emini contracts per trade. That is not a lot. I also don't make more then three trades per day. I have tight stop losses, so if the trade doesn't go my way I get taken out and my losses are minimal.

I'm not day trading stocks. I'm day trading futures contracts for very large things like the S&P and Euro. These instruments have less likelihood to get manipulate like stocks. The main danger in stocks is manipulating, a company cooking the books, a bad decision by management, anything can happen with a single stock. When you're trading things like the S&P you can just focus on the technicals, for the most part the news doesn't even matter... And since these are macro instruments, the technicals are a bit more reliable... You just ride the waves up and down... short on the way down, go long the way up... You make money in either direction....

I'm not day trading with 100% of my capital... I'm using 25% to day trade. Out of this 25% I risk very little in each trade. Somewhere along the lines of 2%. It would take 50 bad trades to burn through that entire 25%...

The rest of my capital is being shored up in long term investments, stuff I just buy and hold for the long term...

The main reason I'm looking into trading is that it's perfect for location independent people and it has to potential to generate good income with minimal time investment. I start trading a 8AM and I'm done by 11AM sometimes even earlier. I'm only a couple months into this... I'll let you know with time if it's worth it, but from all the research I've done and my experience so far, I think this could be one of the best skills to master if you're looking at being location independent.

The best jobs for location independence are the jobs you make yourself. They have the most risk, but also offer the most reward. People across the world are spending trillions each year, if you can figure our how to get at 10 of these consumers for a high end product/service, or 10,000 for a small service or product and you are set.

If you can just be a little better than the lower 20% of any market you can make it (better marketing, more responsive, better product, better value etc.) Working harder or smarter then your competitors to get it started is required though. It will be a while until you have what it takes to keep it going and hit the road.

I'm currently living location free through a combination of investment income and selling stuff online. I make around 5 figures a month doing this.

I personally have decided to go into higher end/high ticket items and become an affiliate for it whereby I don't need to sell 5000 units to make decent money. With a high end/high ticket item, I only need to sell a handful (literally 5 or 6) per month to be able to live the location independent lifestyle as I've had for over a year now. Also, with a higher margin profit, you can be more adventurous in the sense of trying more expensive advertising outlets such as running full page ads in magazines that costs 1-2k/month since with just 1 or 2 sales, you will break even and anything above that, is pure profit. I tried before the clickbank ebook route and it was a disaster. Not that it cannot be done, as there are guys out there killing it, making 6 figures PER day, but it requires a ton of patience, organisation not to mention a huge budget to run those kinds of figure to drive enough traffic to generate that kind of money. Also, with higher end product/membership, the type of people you deal with is higher as usually, the lower the cost of the product/item, the more time consuming it will be to sell it. I know it's ironic and counter productive to most "common" business "knowledge" but it's the truth.

With a high end product/high ticket item, not only you deal with less problematic people/clients, but also your profit margin are a lot bigger. Also, keep in mind that it takes the exact same amount of time, effort and money to advertise and therefore to sell a $20 ebook than it takes to sell a 3k membership. So knowing this crucial fact of doing business, it makes no sense IMO to focus on low end/low paying items. I'd much rather be promoting a product that pays me 1k/sale than an ebook that makes me 20 bucks or even worst, an Amazon link for a lousy 2-3 bucks LOL. Again, it takes the same amount of effort to build and create campaigns and the money required for these campaigns in both cases is the same. So if I'm to spend my money and most importantly, my most precious asset that is my time, I'd much rather be paid $1000 per sale than a few lousy bucks. As no brainer as it gets really. Once I figured out this crucial element of business, I never looked back and won't even look at an item that makes me at the very very least, 500/sale and even then, it has to be a pretty darm good product as my usual target is at least 1k/sale.

As a top producing affiliate/internet marketer, not only I'm always on the lookout and but also often approached by other marketers to push their products. Whenever I look at a product/service/membership to promote, I ask myself the following critical and crucial questions in the selection phase:

- how many units will I need to sell to make at least $5,000/month (as that's IMO the minimum required to have a good location independent lifestyle but also to make it worthwhile my time/effort)?
- is the product really offering a tremendous value that people cannot get or at least not for that price range elsewhere other than through this company/affiliate programme?
- is the product really good enough that I'd be proud to use it and own myself and offer it to my family and friends?

Since I went into the online marketing world, I've been promoting a few products/services/memberships over the years but nothing comes even close to the one I've been doing for over 3 years but seriously since last summer. I have been promoting a high end vacation membership that saves people on average 40 to 70% off retail and as much as 90% in over 5000 resorts worldwide. I'm a member as well since I love travelling and I have used my membership twice and in those 2 usages, I saved over $8,000. First time, back in Feb 2009 in Rio for Carnaval, where I got to stay at a top end hotel on Copacabana beach, on the 21st floor, in an ocean front suite that goes for $1,000/night or $6,0000 for the week of Carnaval that I got for only $650 for the entire week. A savings of $5,350 in just 1 week or 90% off the going rate. My second usage will be in a couple of weeks in Thailand, on Jomtien beach, at a 2 bedroom villa on the beach with a private swimming pool that goes for $528/night or $3700/week that I got for only $550 for the entire week. Again, a savings of $3,150 in just that one week or 86% off retail. Again, the average saving is anywhere from 40% to 70% and as high as 90% over Expedia, which is usually the cheapest "mainstream" option online. I get handsomely rewarded to the tune of $1,000 per sale for saving people a ton of money on their vacations for life. It's truly the best business i have been involved with - EVER!

To see more examples of the kind of deals I'm talking about, click on my signature link and you will see some current real life examples of the type of deals members get with this membership versus Expedia. While the company does provide me with corporate looking websites, this is the site I have been building myself as I'd want to control the content of my site and be able to add videos/texts as I want as opposed to going by what the company gives me. So while the site is still a work in progress, the content is what matters to give you an idea of the calibre of the deals this membership provides to its members.

All in all, affiliate marketing can be very lucrative specially if/when selecting a high end/high ticket item/sevice/membership as it has for me allowing me to escape the rat race and be J.O.B. free for over a year now. So choose your product carefully as that alone will be a major factor in your success or lack of thereof.

Hi VP. Thanks for inspiring post. I really interested to promote service like you do.
Now I am making lot of niche and monetizing through adsense and amazon and I admit
that I have to work damn hard just to get $1000/month.

I really agree with you about Internet Marketing required same effort to promote cheap or expensive product
or service that is why I interested to start.

Could you share how we join that affiliate? I followed your links on your site and when I finish create account
for affiliate and try to open my affiliate link there is nothing unless some stupid homepage show my name and my phone number

Does anyone have experience with an alternating travel/work schedule?

I.E. you work for 2 years and then you travel for 2.

Quote: (07-01-2011 02:37 PM)Docter Wrote:  

I do contract work and take 3-6 months between jobs. I'll work till next spring and take a year off afterwards.

To see more examples of the kind of deals I'm talking about, click on my signature link and you will see some current real life examples of the type of deals members get with this membership

Any reason why you opted for a free word press template blog rather than getting a proper website built? It doesn't look very professional.

Yes - full-time in affiliate marketing for around 2.5 years now. Have traveled and lived in over 8 countries during this time.

If you are reasonable with computers and have the time/desire to learn the ropes it will certainly allow you to achieve what you're looking for.

Quote: (07-01-2011 02:54 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

Quote: (07-01-2011 02:37 PM)Docter Wrote:  

I do contract work and take 3-6 months between jobs. I'll work till next spring and take a year off afterwards.

Yeah Alibahba i always think about you when people on here say that is impossible to work and have lots of free time. I think your job is very suitable for our lifestyle, it is definetely as if you were runniing a business, its like you work for a certain period and then have free time to travel.

Fo sho Pitt. The downside is the quality of life while working. There's nothing else to do but go to the gym. I usually come outta the chute swolled up. I get a "hero's" welcome upon returning to the U.S. Couple that with stories of exotic lands and the girls line up.

My next move is project management. I've talked to guys the trade that work 6 months out of the year. And they were working in fly places like Tokyo. I'm also looking into a consultancy gig that allows me to live anywhere.

Ali do you mind if i know your age? You probably younger than i thought.

Quote: (07-02-2011 09:14 AM)pitt Wrote:  

Ali do you mind if i know your age? You probably younger than i thought.

I just turned the big 35. That's pretty ancient buy forum standards. It's time to put me out to pasture. I still have the sex drive of an 18 y.o. though. WOOHOO!![Image: banana.gif]

Quote: (06-30-2011 01:18 PM)Gringo Wrote:  

How many employers are going to let you go away travelling for months on end. Care to name these jobs you talk of?

I work in Europe and get 32 days of paid vacation each year. Ok, I can't pick up and travel for 6 months, but I can do one three-week stint each year plus a few 3- and 4-day weekends. It's a good middle ground.