rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

'7 Observations About Getting Older' by Quintus Curtius

For anyone who might have missed it, our own QC has recently taken up podcasting, giving some very interesting lectures, originally on Stoicism, but is now expanding into his own personal philosophies and observations about existence.

His most recent podcast is titled '7 Observations About Getting Older Older'. Whilst I'm three years younger than Quintus, this podcast describes with razor sharp incisiveness exactly where I've arrived at in middle age, and the changes I've noticed within both my personality and of my view of the world and my interactions within it.

For younger guys wondering where the road ahead of them leads, and if it is to be feared, it is well worth sparing 30 minutes of your time. Highly-recommended.

I-Tunes Link

Soundcloud Link

Listening now and checking out QC's Instagram.

He has himself a hot girlfriend.

Nice work Quintus.

EDIT: Almost finished listening now. Seeing and hearing guys like QC who are older than I am makes me feel much better about aging. Thanks to this forum I really know the value of taking care of my mind and my body now while I'm still fairly young, so that I can enjoy my life for dozens of years to come. So QC's first observation really stood out to me.

I enjoy Mr. QC podcast,

Very well done, on how time relates to life.

I also dig the Instagram pics, looks like he is living life and enjoying his work.

If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of.
– Bruce Lee

One must give value, but one must profit from it too, life is about balance

When we stop learning, we start dying...100% truth.

“….and we will win, and you will win, and we will keep on winning, and eventually you will say… we can’t take all of this winning, …please Mr. Trump …and I will say, NO, we will win, and we will keep on winning”.

- President Donald J. Trump

Quote: (12-07-2015 08:24 PM)YossariansRight Wrote:  

The older I become, the less I realise I actually know.

Quote: (12-07-2015 08:58 PM)AnonymousBosch Wrote:  

Quote: (12-07-2015 08:24 PM)YossariansRight Wrote:  

The older I become, the less I realise I actually know.

True. That's why learning is imperative to maintaining a quality life.

“….and we will win, and you will win, and we will keep on winning, and eventually you will say… we can’t take all of this winning, …please Mr. Trump …and I will say, NO, we will win, and we will keep on winning”.

- President Donald J. Trump

Worst week for me. Working with a Live Linux CD to get on the internet and my ipod is too old to download this podcast. I have to use public internet access to get access because the one at home. HP gave me the wrong cable for my computer. They gave me a Power Switch cable instead of a SATA cable. Not a good week for me.

Can someone post a short summary for me? I'll watch it once I get everything squared away on the tech side myself. It might be 5 days before I can.

Alright, I have a summary of the podcast here.

1) To fight aging and possibly increase your physical and mental prowess, you need to continue learning and continue physically training.

2) People will impose beliefs and frames onto you.

3) Consciousness of time is fleeting. That is to say, it seems time is flying by. Trade off is memories stand out much sharper. Regrets will become important. If someone has none, they aren't living life.

4) You appreciate good people and good things more while becoming intolerant of dorks and dunces and bad people.

5) Tranquility is important.

6) Great works of art and literature become important to you. They need to be introduced at a young age, even if you can't appreciate it. It only becomes settled in your mind once you become older.

7)You will always be struggling. There is no end to it.

That was good... Surprisingly good. Genuinely feels like you are getting hard-won pearls of wisdom from a grizzled life veteran. Very poetic. I'd recommend anyone listen to it if they haven't already... It's very good.

I am aware of how much off dick I am being when I write this, but the truth is brutal and this isn't the sort of forum where we pull punches.

This isn't much of an observation as it is a bit of frustration expressed...

I never saw qc's Instagram before this. I've read his stuff quite a bit and the image I built in my mind isn't what I saw.

Honestly, the guy is doughy and his girl is a 6 / 7. It feels like he doesn't walk the walk.

Quote: (12-28-2015 11:50 PM)Lance Blastoff Wrote:  

I am aware of how much off dick I am being when I write this, but the truth is brutal and this isn't the sort of forum where we pull punches.

Yes we do hold punches and keep it civil around here, otherwise it would be a circus with clowns running around and wrestling match in the center. We do try to keep order in the house.

Quote:Quote:

Yes we have beef with members that is usually solved with civility. Read the forum and see how senior members settle their differences, read how Gio and QC settled questions for each and learn how kings would settle.

It would have been much better if you would have just sent QC a PM or ask what's bothering you in a civil manner on the forum.

you got some splainin to do.

[Image: Screen-Shot-2012-10-10-at-9.18.04-AM.png]

"You can not fake good kids" - Mike Pence

Quote: (12-29-2015 09:27 AM)Lothario Wrote:  

Yes we do hold punches and keep it civil around here, otherwise it would be a circus with clowns running around and wrestling match in the center. We do try to keep order in the house.

Yes we have beef with members that is usually solved with civility. Read the forum and see how senior members settle their differences, read how Gio and QC settled questions for each and learn how kings would settle.

It would have been much better if you would have just sent QC a PM or ask what's bothering you in a civil manner on the forum.

What I have isn't a beef - it's dissonance. And frustration at this dissonance.

In retrospect, I think the best way to have handled this was to have started a new thread and spoken in generalities. Unfortunately, I cannot take down my post or edit it after an hour on this forum.

QC is among the most intellectual and thoughtful of the writers in the manosphere. And by maintaining a public instagram, I give him a certain credit for his transparency. But he also does present himself as being an expert on game, seduction, image and fitness over 40 and this invites an evaluation of his claims.

Given your "seniority" on this forum, I'll allow you to decide whether I "should 'splain" further...,.

Quote: (12-29-2015 09:27 AM)Lothario Wrote:  

What I have isn't a beef - it's dissonance. And frustration at this dissonance.

In retrospect, I think the best way to have handled this was to have started a new thread and spoken in generalities. Unfortunately, I cannot take down my post or edit it after an hour on this forum.

QC is among the most intellectual and thoughtful of the writers in the manosphere. And by maintaining a public instagram, I give him a certain credit for his transparency. But he also does present himself as being an expert on game, seduction, image and fitness over 40 and this invites an evaluation of his claims.

Given your "seniority" on this forum, I'll allow you to decide whether I "should 'splain" further...,.

Honestly, the guy is doughy and his girl is a 6 / 7. It feels like he doesn't walk the walk.

Actually I've done the computations, his girl is exactly 5.8. Universally. [Image: tard.gif]

If I was a mod here, number scale douchebaggery would be a penalized offense.

The idea that there is one universal number scale is just so false, that it's pure trolling -- it only ever leads to pointless endless argument. We probably have hundreds of threads of "9? She's a 6 at best" wankery.

Criticize his fitness, sure. If he talks a lot about getting ripped (I have no idea), but isn't ripped, then that's fair criticism.

But this 'number criticism' is just egocentric bullshit. It ignores a bunch of factors.

- What type of look he actually likes. And yes, this varies enormously between men. Few attributes are universal, perhaps just age, weight-to-height, hip ratio etc. Some dudes like 'big butts' that some consider fat, others like scrawny chicks with thin legs. Some dudes like big tits, other dudes just want girls with tight bodies. Some dudes like cute little faces, others like stronger features. I know I for one have frequently had situations where logically, I think 'this girl isn't that pretty', but viscerally I just want to pound her senseless.

- The difference between photogenic and sexually attractive. I've found a huge disconnect with this. Girls who look shiny as fuck in their photos, and when they're dressed up and in their heels, but when you actually get them into bed, you're like "why aren't I more excited?". And then other girls who look plain in the photos you have with them, but when you were together you were banging like rabbits.

- What the guy is getting versus other men in his position, versus other men of his age, and versus what he used to get.

I'd give QC a fist pump for a girl like that. If I'm looking at the right picture, QC looks kind of like me. I'd say he's doing pretty good for himself.

I'm with the others that the "this 8 is a 5 at best" numbering circle jerk is just plain trolling.

Nah, QC's girl has pointy elbows. 2/10 WNB [Image: tongue.gif]

I'm with Phoenix on this. Some other guy's 9 might be a 6 to me, and vice versa. It's subjective. That girl the guy has might be the coolest chick any of us has ever known. A girl I may think is a 6 will later turn into an 8 if she's funny and awesome to hang with. As such, I'm not one to judge a guy's girlfriend if he's having a good time being with her. Maybe it seems like he could do better, but maybe he doesn't want to do better because he's perfectly happy with the girl he's got.

I think some people get too hung up on looks. Yes, it matters. But as you get older, you find out that hot girls with no personality are a huge letdown. And the normal next-door sort of girls that make you laugh are like hitting the jackpot.

He's 47! At that age, his taste in women, cigars and whiskey is refined to a point that probably finds nuances that escape most younger men. I don't know QC, but I would strongly suspect that his choice in a female at that age goes beyond a simple 1-10 scale metric.

I find the callous discussion of his girl's looks to be in really poor taste, gentlemen.

Edit: and just to be fair, I think his podcast does listen a bit like a safety brief (It's really good though).

Per Ardua Ad Astra | "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum"

Cobra and I did some awesome podcasts with awesome fellow members.

I never saw qc's Instagram before this. I've read his stuff quite a bit and the image I built in my mind isn't what I saw.

Damn, there's a bitchy vibe around here lately.

Oddly, he looked exactly as I expected: an older, intelligent, well-travelled man whose body language in his photos speaks of the disciplined formality of a military background.

I would also never describe him as doughy: his pictures reveal a tall, 47-year-old man with wide shoulders and defined traps, a solid chest, toned biceps, and no visible double chin.

He mightn't looked jacked to your eyes, but muscle distributes very differently across body and height types, and it's much harder for taller men to see the quick size gains small guys do, particularly with exercises like Bicep Curls and the Bench Press due to the longer Range Of Motion due to arm length. Whilst it's not impossible to get impressive biceps as a tall man - they have to focus much more on Tricep work - they're just never going to look as impressive to the casual eye the way a short guy's biceps will.

That being said, that's a respectable non-pumped bicep for a tall man.

This is the exact muscle distribution I'd expect in a tall, fit man who trains naturally.

Note the tight shirt revealing no dough. This is the body of a non-fictional Military Officer: note 'Parade Rest' and feet shoulder-width apart. I'd observe and mentally note his presence in a crowd, and if there was an emergency situation where I needed another pair of hands, I'd implicitly know he could be relied on to keep his cool.

As for his girl - and it really is classless to bring her up - her body language always leans in towards him, her smile is always genuine, and she dresses like a girl. This is a woman secure in her man's ability to lead, which allows her to be feminine.

He's walking the walk: hell, long-term readers will have learnt to recognise his female groupies by now. I'd suggest you hone your body language and observational skills more before you start throwing around accusations of others having poor game.

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.

A true friend is the most precious of all possessions and the one we take the least thought about acquiring.

I met QC at the World Tour event in Montreal this summer and spent a good deal of time around him that day.

In the context of this podcast discussion about aging, it's my view that Quintus' photos on Instagram don't do him justice. He's aging well.

Instagram photos taken on a smartphone don't really give you a sense of how a person carries themselves and interacts with others, which contributes to if they give off an "old vibe" or not (although Bosch was able to pull out quite a lot in his observations just by glancing at a few photos haha). Quintus is much more vital than an Instagram photo might indicate.

If he passed himself off as 37, I don't think that claim would come under much suspicion.

As for Quintus' woman, she's 17 years younger than him. That's the only number that matters to me.

[Image: gamerecognized.gif]

Quote: (12-06-2015 10:33 PM)AnonymousBosch Wrote:  

Whilst I'm three years younger than Quintus, this podcast describes with razor sharp incisiveness exactly where I've arrived at in middle age, and the changes I've noticed within both my personality and of my view of the world and my interactions within it.

I think mentally, I'm the same guy I was 20 years ago in college. Some would label it the "eternal fratboy" syndrome. But I'm fine with that. Why get boring as you get older? I have a high credit score and pay my bills and shit, but when I travel or go out, I'm still ridiculous. When my old college roommates and I reconnect at college football games, it's like we never left off from when we roomed together 2 decades ago. It's great times all over. And I like that feeling that no matter how old I get, I'm still game to party like a rockstar.

Then again, I think I'm hitting my midlife crisis. I'm starting to realize that I could drop dead any second or my friends could. When you're 20 you think you'll live forever, but when you hit 40, you start thinking that time is more valuable. Life is short.

I'm the same dude I was back then. I just feel like there's a light at the end of a tunnel, and that light is an approaching train.

But I'm not crying into my beer (yet). Give me like 30 minutes and then I'll do that.

Quote: (12-30-2015 06:20 PM)BrewDog Wrote:  

Quote: (12-06-2015 10:33 PM)AnonymousBosch Wrote:  

Whilst I'm three years younger than Quintus, this podcast describes with razor sharp incisiveness exactly where I've arrived at in middle age, and the changes I've noticed within both my personality and of my view of the world and my interactions within it.

I think mentally, I'm the same guy I was 20 years ago in college. Some would label it the "eternal fratboy" syndrome. But I'm fine with that. Why get boring as you get older? I have a high credit score and pay my bills and shit, but when I travel or go out, I'm still ridiculous. When my old college roommates and I reconnect at college football games, it's like we never left off from when we roomed together 2 decades ago. It's great times all over. And I like that feeling that no matter how old I get, I'm still game to party like a rockstar.

Then again, I think I'm hitting my midlife crisis. I'm starting to realize that I could drop dead any second or my friends could. When you're 20 you think you'll live forever, but when you hit 40, you start thinking that time is more valuable. Life is short.

I'm the same dude I was back then. I just feel like there's a light at the end of a tunnel, and that light is an approaching train.

But I'm not crying into my beer (yet). Give me like 30 minutes and then I'll do that.

At 40 I you don't have to worry about "dropping dead at any second" unless you're grossly overweight.

- One planet orbiting a star. Billions of stars in the galaxy. Billions of galaxies in the universe. Approach.

#BallsWin

I don't really understand where Lance Blastoff is coming from. When I look at his Instagram I see a well-built, fit looking man who looks younger than 47 with a cute feminine girl. Neither of them is overweight or ugly. How did you come to the conclusion that he doesn't walk the walk? If he took pictures with a fatty and he himself were overweight, we'd be on the same page. I think you jumped to conclusions a bit too quickly.

Back to the original topic I really enjoy these podcasts, this one in particular really made me think about my life. Recommend to anyone. The only downside is I get through these short podcasts really quickly but I guess he has a myriad of other things to do besides recording podcasts.

While I think it's perfectly acceptable to hold these manosphere writers to a high standard ( especially one who's trying to start a movement), one really can't judge by just looking at some Instagram photos taken with a terrible smartphone camera. The only fair way to judge a man is to meet him, look him in the eyes, converse with him and then decide if he's worthy of your respect. That's why forum members need to meet each other as much as possible and not be so afraid of it. QC's a good writer and I've bought, read and enjoyed his 37 essays book but I won't judge him either way until I meet him (QC get your ass to Chicago and hang with all of us here for a couple days). As for his girlfriend, she's cute and looks to be into him which is all that matters.