rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Favorite Grooming Products

I'm always looking to optimize my grooming habits. Over the years I've tried countless different products, and this list is what I've arrived at. They're optimized for absence of chemicals, ease of use, performance, and cost. As a general rule, I usually search http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ to find the least harmful product, then sort by cost.

[Image: P1030167_2.jpg]

Soap
Kirk's castille soap is fairly cheap for a chemical-free soap at $2/bar. My only gripe is that it's thin and get's used up pretty quickly. I prefer and used to use Dudu Osun soap, but it's a pain in the ass to clean up if it starts running down your shower.

Shaving
I use a Merkur safety razor, which is by far the best and cheapest cost per shave of any razor I've ever used. I use personna blades, which at 13 cents per blade are hard to beat. A pack of 100 should last for years. When you're done shaving, use your forearm as a strope to clean the blade and help preserve it. Make sure to strope it in the direction opposite of the direction you'd shave. I follow this tutorial for my shaving routine:

However, I don't use shaving cream, soaps, or brushes. Shaving oils are by far the most effective shaving lubricant I've used. I've used coconut oil before, but I just started using Somersets shave oil and it is nothing short of incredible. I've NEVER had such a close shave or complete lack of ingrown hairs. You only need to use 3 drops for the first application, and 1 additional drop for shaving across and against, respectively. At 1.2oz, it will easily fit in your carry on liquids bag.

If you're traveling by air, you won't be able to take the safety razor blades. You can either buy them at your destination, or carry disposable razors or a handle with disposable cartridges. The easiest/cheapest option is to take disposable razors, but they take up more space and I prefer handle/cartridges. My dad gave me his old Gilette, but something like this would probably be just as good.

Moisturizer
I just use extra virgin organic coconut oil, which you can find in most grocery stores. If you can't find it, I like Nature's way brand. Viva labs is better, but almost twice as expensive. Avoid anything that isn't listed as extra virgin, as the quality is often much lower. While they're not strictly regulated, I've found that oils with a pungent sweet smell, or even a very slight pink hue seem to be the freshest. I put mine in a Nalgene 2oz plastic jar, which is fairly leak resistant and perfect for traveling. Coconut oil is liquid above 76 degrees, so it can be a pain in the ass if it starts leaking. The Nalgene jars work well, but I put them in their own small ziploc bag just to be safe. After I put them in a container I add a few drops of tea tree oil. TTO has many uses, including an astringent for treating acne and rosacea, and a minor antiseptic for cuts/burns. If you're traveling off the beaten path, it has a lot of use for how much space it takes up. I also store it in it's own bag inside the quart bag when traveling.

Deodorant
I mix together 2 parts coconut oil, 1 part baking soda, 1.5-2 parts corn starch and a few drops TTO per oz. Baking soda can be abrasive and cause itching, so the corn starch (main ingredient in baby powder) makes it easier on the skin. Baking soda acts as deodorant, and coconut oil as a moisturizer and minor antibacterial from the lauric acid. I store it in another Nalgene 2oz container, though you may wanna mix it in a bigger one first. To apply, I scoop some on my fingertip and rub it against my armpit until the coconut oil melts in. If it's a liquid, I mix it up with my finger first.

Brushing/Flossing/Breath
Based on feedback from my dentist, flossing by far was the most important factor in my dental health. The only thing I've ever used that was convenient enough to get me to floss were individual flossers, and my favorite ones are plackers brand. I use them every other day. I use a tongue scraper to remove decaying food particles from my tongue and keep my breath smelling fresh. If you've never used one before, you'll be amazed at how much junk it'll take off your tongue. Toothpaste probably doesn't matter that much for most of you, but I have a tongue condition that makes me sensitive to sodium lauryl sulfate. The only toothpastes that are SLS free are biotene, or most baking soda based ones. For traveling I use Ecodent powder as it's not a liquid. When traveling, I like a collapsible tooth brush, which you should also be able to find at your local pharmacy. It's probably overkill, but I'm anal about saving space and weight for my carry on.

Cologne
I avoided colognes for a while as it's hard to find ones that are phthalate free, but I used the EWG to pick out one recently. I got CHROME LEGEND by Azarro, which is fine so far but I'd prefer something a bit more masculine. I'd be open to suggestions here.

Shampoo/Conditioner
I've tried doing no shampoo, but after a while my hair just gets too clumpy and unmanageable. I use Everyday Coconut shampoo and conditioner. It's cheap per volume, and paraben free. I only do it once a week so that bottle will last me forever, but when it runs out I'll probably look for something else. If I'm traveling long term, I'd probably pick up a shampoo bar like this one

Sunblock
I use Terrasport broad spectrum sunblock because it's paraben free, is relatively strong at 30spf, and water resistant.

I'm always looking to improve in this area, so post if you've got anything to add.

[Image: attachment.jpg28879]   

This is the best soap I have ever used, it does not dry out the skin.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

Greatest toothbrush of all time: http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Collins-Perio-T...B006I79N4I

Nubian Heritage Soap

Unwaxed Floss

Tanning Bed

Throwing Out Shampoo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHGCPv1tass

Reliable Barber

GLL Facial Mask: http://www.gll-getalife.com/entry/how-to...ally-works

Earbuds, lip ice, soft toothbush, mouthwash, rollon, perfume, face wash, nail clipper, foot powder, eye wash and shaving razor.

Don't debate me.

Face and hair

I use African Black soap or Bione charcoal cleanser after workouts.

Coconut oil afterwards for about 15 mind then wipe of the excess.

Daiso Japanese charcoal mask every Sunday.

Jason's biotin shampoo and
Avalon organics tea tree conditioner.

Only use water based pomade for waves.

Body-----

Black soap and coconut oil

I'm black so I tend to not use anything too harsh that will strip away my natural oils.

I have been very happy with my upgrade to good tweezers (Tweezerman) - wish I had done it years earlier. Castor oil has worked well for me as a shaving oil, but I look forward to trying Somersets. For soap, Honest Bar was a good combination of price, lasting a while, and non toxic; and surprisingly I could order it through Target.

Tongue scraper is essential! "The blob" I generate from scraping is gross (and I brush several times a day).

I also rinse with Hydrogen Peroxide before brushing.

For shaving cream, I use the "Seaweed Pore Cleasing Facial Exfoliator" from The Body Shop. Works great on my skin.

After shave: Old school Witch Hazel.

Skin cream: Nivea "Essentially Enriched with Almond Oil & Hydra IQ".

“….and we will win, and you will win, and we will keep on winning, and eventually you will say… we can’t take all of this winning, …please Mr. Trump …and I will say, NO, we will win, and we will keep on winning”.

- President Donald J. Trump

I've been using Somerset's shaving oil for a few days now, and I've already noticed a big improvement in how my skin looks. I stopped drinking for a couple weeks so that might be part of it too. It has TTO in it, so I no longer have to carry around a TTO bottle/dropper when traveling.

Quote:redbeard Wrote:

-snip-
Thanks for the GLL link. I ordered some hyaluronic acid and will check it out. One of the things that convinced me to stop drinking was how fast my face was aging. Anything that can reverse the damage is much appreciated.

Quote:rudebwoy Wrote:

-snip-
Bought some of this too. A lot of you guys are recommending this black soap stuff. Is it true that once you go black, you don't go back?

I forgot to add a link for the tongue scraper: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004U3LQMY/

Quote:YossariansRight Wrote:

Curious, why do you do this before? Not after? Does it help loosen the food particles or something?

Quote: (12-01-2015 08:02 AM)thoughtgypsy Wrote:  

I've been using Somerset's shaving oil for a few days now, and I've already noticed a big improvement in how my skin looks. I stopped drinking for a couple weeks so that might be part of it too. It has TTO in it, so I no longer have to carry around a TTO bottle/dropper when traveling.

Quote:redbeard Wrote:

-snip-
Thanks for the GLL link. I ordered some hyaluronic acid and will check it out. One of the things that convinced me to stop drinking was how fast my face was aging. Anything that can reverse the damage is much appreciated.

Quote:rudebwoy Wrote:

-snip-
Bought some of this too. A lot of you guys are recommending this black soap stuff. Is it true that once you go black, you don't go back?

I forgot to add a link for the tongue scraper: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004U3LQMY/

Quote:YossariansRight Wrote:

Curious, why do you do this before? Not after? Does it help loosen the food particles or something?

Twofold reasoning:
1. It's my pre-brush rinse. Yes, it loosens stuff up.
2. I also use the HP first because after I spit most of it out, I start brushing with a remnant of what's still in my mouth; I use the agitation of the tooth brush to further work the HP onto my teeth. Then use toothpaste.

“….and we will win, and you will win, and we will keep on winning, and eventually you will say… we can’t take all of this winning, …please Mr. Trump …and I will say, NO, we will win, and we will keep on winning”.

- President Donald J. Trump

Dental hygiene:
- Electric toothbrush (there is a lot of evidence they are better than regular ones now).
- Tongue scraper (as others have said).
- CB12 mouth wash. Expensive, but clinical trials have shown that it is the only mouthwash which gets rid of sulphurous compounds (which cause bad breath) for any significant period of time. Highly recommended. Swish around your mouth and gargle for a good 30 seconds at least, and stick out your tongue when you gargle to get the bacteria at the back of the tongue.

Hair:
- Nizoral shampoo. Destroys dandruff and has the convenient side effect of reducing balding to some degree (although if you are balding, you should consider getting on minoxidil and finastaride, which are stronger).
- VO5 Matt Clay (hair clay essentially). Most guys seem to use this now in the UK. Again, highly recommended.

Deodorant:
- Driclor if you sweat heavily under the armpits.

Quote: (12-01-2015 10:57 AM)High Hanging Fruit Wrote:  

Dental hygiene:
- Electric toothbrush (there is a lot of evidence they are better than regular ones now).
- Tongue scraper (as others have said).
- CB12 mouth wash. Expensive, but clinical trials have shown that it is the only mouthwash which gets rid of sulphurous compounds (which cause bad breath) for any significant period of time. Highly recommended. Swish around your mouth and gargle for a good 30 seconds at least, and stick out your tongue when you gargle to get the bacteria at the back of the tongue.

Hair:
- Nizoral shampoo. Destroys dandruff and has the convenient side effect of reducing balding to some degree (although if you are balding, you should consider getting on minoxidil and finastaride, which are stronger).
- VO5 Matt Clay (hair clay essentially). Most guys seem to use this now in the UK. Again, highly recommended.

Deodorant:
- Driclor if you sweat heavily under the armpits.

Thank you for bringing CB12 to my attention. Never heard of it before. Bottle ordered.

I got really into Jovan musk deodorant a year or two ago. These days I use Old Spice mainly. Very masculine scent which is timeless I feel. Also distinctive considering pretty much all everyone my age wears is Lynx/Axe.

"As wolves among sheep we have wandered"

Quote: (12-02-2015 06:14 AM)UroboricForms Wrote:  

I got really into Jovan musk deodorant a year or two ago. These days I use Old Spice mainly. Very masculine scent which is timeless I feel. Also distinctive considering pretty much all everyone my age wears is Lynx/Axe.

You do realize that what you're smelling in that deodorant is most likely a synthetic chemical that raises your estrogen? Most off the shelf deodorants contain phthalates (under the name "fragrance") because they help the product bind to the skin and keep their scent longer.

They also contain metals like aluminum or titanium in forms which can bypass the pores of your skin and enter your body. There is a loose link between the accumulation of those metals and Alzheimer's.

If you don't want to make your own, Amazon and Etsy carry metal and phthalate free deodorants.