rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Canadian SJWs shut down campus yoga due to "cultural appropriation"

From the "is this real news, or am I reading the Onion?" department, yoga has been cancelled at the University of Ottawa.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/uni...-1.3330441

Why? "Cultural appropriation."

For those of you who aren't sensitive, caring, cultured liberals, "cultural appropriation is when a culture that's seen as an oppressor borrows or steals elements of a culture they're oppressing."

So now enjoying anything ethnic is "racist." I suspect the left wing will soon stop eating Mexican food and throw away their Chai lattes real fast...

I also suspect this will be a sore point for most of the female population, as many are probably asking "How can wear my yoga pants around campus, which make my butt look like SO CUTE" or "Does this mean I'll actually have to do real exercise and sweat?"

thread-51670...pid1155780

What does the cbc article say?

"A stripper last night brought up "Rich Dad Poor Dad" when I mentioned, "Think and Grow Rich""

Quote: (11-23-2015 03:10 PM)spokepoker Wrote:  

thread-51670...pid1155780

What does the cbc article say?

Quote:Quote:

A yoga instructor who says her free class at the University of Ottawa was cancelled because of concerns over cultural appropriation believes the student union's issues are misplaced. Jen Scharf said she's been teaching a free yoga class for the university's Centre for Students with Disabilities, which is run by the Student Federation of the University of Ottawa, for the last seven years.

Jen Scharf says she focuses on the physical benefits of yoga and doesn't play up the spiritual side of it, which she says some instructors can be guilty of. When she checked back in with the centre in September, she said she was told by them the class wouldn't be happening because some students and volunteers were uncomfortable with the "cultural issues" involved.

"I guess it was this cultural appropriation issue because yoga originally comes from India," she said on Sunday. "I told them, 'Why don't we just change the name of the course?' It's simple enough, just call it mindful stretching.… We're not going through the finer points of scripture. We're talking about basic physical awareness and how to stretch so that you feel good.

"That went back and forth… The higher-ups at the student federation got involved, finally we got an email routed through the student federation basically saying they couldn't get a French name and nobody wants to do it, so we're going to cancel it for now."

Cultural appropriation is when a culture that's seen as an oppressor borrows or steals elements of a culture they're oppressing. Scharf said there is also concern over yoga instructors who claim to be experts in the more spiritual aspects of yoga, but aren't.

"I'm not claiming it's anything more than a physical practice within that class," she said. "There's been so much positivity and so many people positively helped by this, and that's part of the reason why I'm fighting so hard to keep it.

"Those issues are important issues and they should be raised but it's not me they should be mad at; it's the fake people that are making claims they can't possibly substantiate."

'More accessible' class could return

Scharf said she'd love to start her class again but hasn't found a place or organization at the university willing to host it.

In a French-language interview with Radio-Canada, student federation president Roméo Ahimakin said there were no direct complaints about the class, more general questions about the issues and ideas around it. Ahimakin said they suspended the class as part of a review of all their programs to make them more interesting, accessible, inclusive and responsive to the needs of students. He said they're doing consultations on the idea of bringing a free yoga class back and could get a more accessible version of it as soon as the next semester starts in January.

On Monday the University of Ottawa tweeted out a notice that it's organizing free yoga sessions Dec. 1, 8 and 15 at its University Centre. One yoga teacher at the school emailed CBC News to say the university does that during exams and through the summer so there are other yoga options on campus.

Yoga seen as spiritual, not religious

There have been concerns among some Hindus over how yoga has crossed over to the Western world. For instance, the Hindu American Foundation's "Take Back Yoga" campaign is against yoga's commercialization. But at the Hindu Temple of Ottawa-Carleton, one husband and wife said they didn't have an issue with what they've seen around the community and didn't agree with the idea that non-Hindus teaching yoga is culturally insensitive.

"In Hindi 'yog' means to unite. To unite with who? With your true self. That's what yoga is. Here we tend to relate it with the postures but it's not just postures... and it has nothing to do with religion," said Girija Waghray, who's been teaching yoga around Ottawa for more than 10 years.

"It's basically focusing on our health. By calming our mind, our mind becomes positive."

Dilip Waghray said he's been practising yoga for 50 years and while he's uncomfortable with how it's been commercialized in the West, he chooses to focus on the benefits it's having. "When I saw what was happening [with big crowds for free yoga] on Parliament Hill I was thrilled and probably a little bit ashamed that my body wasn't as flexible as theirs. I said, 'Wow,' and the first thing I did was share with my classmates back home," he said.

"If you look at what the Western world has adapted it is just phenomenal. Imagine how much good they're doing for themselves. They'll live a long and very happy life."

Quote: (11-23-2015 03:03 PM)HankMoody Wrote:  

From the "is this real news, or am I reading the Onion?" department, yoga has been cancelled at the University of Ottawa.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/uni...-1.3330441

Why? "Cultural appropriation."

For those of you who aren't sensitive, caring, cultured liberals, "cultural appropriation is when a culture that's seen as an oppressor borrows or steals elements of a culture they're oppressing."

So now enjoying anything ethnic is "racist." I suspect the left wing will soon stop eating Mexican food and throw away their Chai lattes real fast...

I also suspect this will be a sore point for most of the female population, as many are probably asking "How can wear my yoga pants around campus, which make my butt look like SO CUTE" or "Does this mean I'll actually have to do real exercise and sweat?"

Goes beyond that. As I mentioned when I referenced this in the campus protest thread, what is going to happen when these people decide to take on Elvis, Eminem, and the Beatles' excursions into Indian music?

And will our history get erased -- like Woodrow Wilson's name from Princeton University -- when these people deem past works of art or customs "incorrect?"

This is getting like the Moral Majority in the 1980s, who found satan and sin everywhere and tried to ban it all. We're still finding evil, only this time its wackos from the left suddenly discovering the "sin" of bigotry through so-called appropriation.

This will not end well. These people are zealots but, sadly, you can't even denigrate and dismiss them as "religious wackos" because they subscribe to a religion in everything but name.

The funny part is that most western yoga types are left wing. So as ever, the lefties fight amongst themselves over nothing.

If the PC brigade make a full blown attack on yoga, it will be fascinating to watch. It will alienate so many moderate left-wingers.

Quote: (03-05-2016 02:42 PM)SudoRoot Wrote:  
Fuck this shit, I peace out.

^
Yuri Bezmenov discussed the KGB using yoga classes in India and yogis themselves as soviet recruiting pawns. He was located in India, afterall, before defecting.

He also mentioned the useful idiots being squashed liked bugs. So far, it's less violent than he predicted, as he said they would be lined up and shot.

Quote: (11-23-2015 04:42 PM)Surreyman Wrote:  

The funny part is that most western yoga types are left wing. So as ever, the lefties fight amongst themselves over nothing.

If the PC brigade make a full blown attack on yoga, it will be fascinating to watch. It will alienate so many moderate left-wingers.

This is exactly why I say let it continue. Most people are not that far gone yet to just accept this as reasonable, so the extreme message of these radicals will only push people on the fence in the direction of reason a little more.

Americans are dreamers too

Quote:
A yoga instructor who says her free class at the University of Ottawa was cancelled because of concerns over cultural appropriation believes the student union's issues are misplaced. Jen Scharf said she's been teaching a free yoga class for the university's Centre for Students with Disabilities, which is run by the Student Federation of the University of Ottawa, for the last seven years.

Seems as if there is a SJW jostling to stand up for the privilege of Indian culture over the disabled!

[Image: laugh3.gif]

^^^^THIS. As much as I don't want them to do enough damage, the fact they're banning practically normal things will push the pendulum the other way and alienate so many moderates and lefties.

Quote: (11-23-2015 04:54 PM)kaotic Wrote:  

^^^^THIS. As much as I don't want them to do enough damage, the fact they're banning practically normal things will push the pendulum the other way and alienate so many moderates and lefties.

I'd wager that decent percentage of SJW's on that campus secretly thinking "wtf" in their head about this because they themselves practice yoga, and are only going along with this because they're brainwashed and know they can't say anything, or feel guilty for their 'bad' thoughts.

But, when the next ridiculous thing comes along and limits yet another activity they once enjoyed, that's when maybe few of them will start to question the whole thing and decide to leave the herd.

It's only when it begins to affect their lives that they'll see the error.

Americans are dreamers too

Quote: (11-23-2015 04:49 PM)GlobalMan Wrote:  

This is exactly why I say let it continue. Most people are not that far gone yet to just accept this as reasonable, so the extreme message of these radicals will only push people on the fence in the direction of reason a little more.

It makes me wonder what liberal, Californian SWPL shit they're going to take on next:

Soy milk: a cultural appropriation from Asians (Racist)

Trail running: cultural appropriation from Native Americans (Racist)

Lattes: cultural appropriation from Italians (Racist)

Quote: (03-05-2016 02:42 PM)SudoRoot Wrote:  
Fuck this shit, I peace out.

Canadian uni student realizes that he's too privileged to be liberal after getting campus function shut down by a bunch of native rabble rousers: http://news.nationalpost.com/full-commen...be-liberal

Quote: (11-23-2015 06:24 PM)Surreyman Wrote:  

It makes me wonder what liberal, Californian SWPL shit they're going to take on next:

- Mexican food and salsa dancing
- All forms of martial arts
- Lacrosse
- India Pale Ale
- Tea and chai
- Indian food
- St. Patrick's Day, Jameson, Powers, and Guinness (just kidding, liberals feel free to piss on all white Europeans)

I am the epitome of the contemporary privileged liberal: a 23-year-old straight, white, male university student from a middle-class family of teachers who plays golf.

I follow Bernie Sanders on Facebook (#feelthebern) and, despite being straight, I have a bit of a crush on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. I sympathize with indigenous people, support affirmative action, criticize nationalism, I’m critical of the monarchy, an avid “Movember” participant, skeptical of pipelines, youthful to the point of naive and, to top it all off, a feminist. How could it be possible that I feel uncomfortable expressing my views on a liberal, middle class campus like the University of Victoria?

The answer: if a privileged individual like myself accidentally offends someone who is “coddled and protected from different points of view,” then I am seen as insensitive, irresponsible and borderline bigoted. (READ: I'm a faggot)

Quote: (11-23-2015 06:53 PM)HankMoody Wrote:  

Quote: (11-23-2015 06:24 PM)Surreyman Wrote:  

- Mexican food and salsa dancing
- All forms of martial arts
- Lacrosse
- India Pale Ale
- Tea and chai
- Indian food
- St. Patrick's Day, Jameson, Powers, and Guinness (just kidding, liberals feel free to piss on all white Europeans)

And once that's complete, I think we all know what's next...

Civilize the mind but make savage the body.

So let me get this straight, I thought the whole point of diversity was to learn and gain from one another, the diversity of ideas so to speak. If we can't do that, then what's their argument against the anti-diversity crowd? If the Sikh (spelling?) guy in the new Canadian PM's cabinet has a good idea, I guess they can't use it now. Ironically, they're on the cusp of saying, "Asia for Asians, Africa for Africans, etc..."

Civilize the mind but make savage the body.

This is great. The sooner the hotties get kicked out of the left the sooner this ship gets turned around.

New pickup line: "Don't worry, I support yoga."

Quote: (11-23-2015 06:41 PM)scotian Wrote:  

Canadian uni student realizes that he's too privileged to be liberal after getting campus function shut down by a bunch of native rabble rousers: http://news.nationalpost.com/full-commen...be-liberal

There are some absolute pearlers of sanitized, inoffensive statements within that article...

At UVic, there is no such thing as a Christmas party, only a holiday party. When advertising pub crawls in classrooms, we must not reference alcohol in any way and we must refer to our events as “functions” (admittedly this gave rise to the great phrase, “I functioned so hard last night”). I was told to put away shirts that depicted King Henry VIII with the caption, “It’s all in the execution,” because there were complaints that they “perpetuated the patriarchy and promoted colonialism.”

The UVSS received criticism because it showed the Robin Williams classic about the cross-dressing Mrs. Doubtfire in its campus cinema, as it apparently offended representatives from UVic Pride. At a UVic abortion debate, radical feminist protesters came in and disrupted the exchange for 20 minutes in an attempt to end the debate. After that was quelled, the pro-choice advocate, an eminent ethics professor, proceeded to thoroughly rout the person arguing the pro-life perspective.

[Image: facepalm3.gif]

As for having his "conference" funding pulled - I think this is more a matter of sour grapes and poor foresight. He may not be from B.C. originally - hosting a conference titled "Discourses on Sovereignty: Land, Bodies and Borders" is difficult to talk about out here without considering First Nations land rights, though that is something drilled in at a very early age, especially those who grew up outside the Lower Mainland where First Nations are visible and quite often the majority of the local population.

If he had wanted to talk about it from an international perspective or continental perspective (e.g. Europe, Africa, excluding Nth America), he should have perhaps re-titled and re-framed it accordingly. No further objection would have been raised and no-one would have batted an eyelid.

Sadly, these days, being an attention whore is much easier than learning from the experience.

^^^^^^

Wait, if we're gonna ban white folks from all the things minorities came up with (i.e. martial arts, lacrosse) then we have to ban minorities from all the things white folks dreamed up.

Electricity was invented by white people (Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Edison), so it's a form of cultural appropriation for any minority to use it. And then there's the Internet. And vaccines. And most stuff you find in recording studios. And hospitals.

You know, this cultural appropriation idea is starting to sound like a good idea. I think whites should agree to institute it at colleges using my above ideas and see how the students handle it.

Oh sorry, they won't be able to see. Because there will be no illumination. In any sense of that word.

Does this mean only Indian people can teach yoga now? Damn, talk about pussy paradise for IRTs.

Not happening. - redbeard in regards to ETH flippening BTC

I would be willing to bet that this is one trend that will not catch on. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if even this specific yoga class is quietly reinstated after a relatively brief pause.

The reason for this is simple: the WHITE WOMAN -- or at least the relatively privileged white woman (meaning anything from the middle classes and higher) -- is the creature that stands alone atop the totem pole of today's society. Everything that happens and does not happen in the western world; all the myriad intricate labors performed therein, day in and day out -- all these are contrived for the sole purpose of serving this awesome, capricious, and exacting Mistress. All of Her subjects -- starting with, but by no means limited to, the frantic, harrowed and enslaved white man -- live their wretched lives solely to provide for and cater to the Empress's every wish; and no whim of Hers is too small to be sanctified as an absolute command to be obeyed by one and all.

Does anyone really think that such a creature, the most privileged and powerful by far that the world has ever known, will suffer the least of its diversions -- much less such a royal rite as a YOGA CLASS -- to be taken away from it for more than an instant? It's an absurd idea. The murals of useless dead presidents may be torn down, the football stadiums may be renamed, the cishet untouchables will be browbeaten and flagellated -- but the YOGA CLASS will not be touched; it cannot be, and so it won't. Not for as long as the august White Empress sits regnant atop Her great and terrible iphone throne.

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

Quote: (11-23-2015 07:14 PM)Days of Broken Arrows Wrote:  

^^^^^^

Wait, if we're gonna ban white folks from all the things minorities came up with (i.e. martial arts, lacrosse) then we have to ban minorities from all the things white folks dreamed up.

Electricity was invented by white people (Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Edison), so it's a form of cultural appropriation for any minority to use it. And then there's the Internet. And vaccines. And most stuff you find in recording studios. And hospitals.

You know, this cultural appropriation idea is starting to sound like a good idea. I think whites should agree to institute it at colleges using my above ideas and see how the students handle it.

Oh sorry, they won't be able to see. Because there will be no illumination. In any sense of that word.

Same goes with the majority of western philosophy, which would appear to have been appropriated from the Ancient Greeks and western Europe, including conceptualized ideas such as the free market (Adam Smith, a Scot) and democracy (Athens)!

Quote: (11-23-2015 07:26 PM)Genghis Khan Wrote:  

Does this mean only Indian people can teach yoga now? Damn, talk about pussy paradise for IRTs.

1. Invent yoga
2. Allow Eat-Pray_love chicks to appropriate it.
3. Wait for degenerates to begin practicing hot yoga and naked yoga
4. Take yoga back through reverse cultural appropriation
5. be a "hands on" Yogi.
6. ???
7. Profit

Quote: (11-23-2015 07:14 PM)Days of Broken Arrows Wrote:  

Trust me, they'll have an excuse for why it doesn't work in reverse.

This is purely about shaming and marginalising white people for being white, to force them to be wounded by the experience of racism. It's revenge-driven.

Let progressives eat each other.

Imagine the good these green-haired fuckheads could do if you could convince them that your average McDojo is guilty of "cultural appropriation" by heavily watering down Japanese, Chinese, or Korean martial traditions, i.e. the martial arts.

Remissas, discite, vivet.
God save us from people who mean well. -storm