rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How can I help my niece with Asperger's make friends and be social?

Background. I hang out every now and then with my 14 year old niece who has trouble making friends. My sister and her boyfriend(her dad) don't really know what to do about it. Since I'm slightly spergy myself we've bonded together a bit but as an adult who has no real problems socially it's hard for me to understand what she's going through.

She is a pretty quirky girl- she just keeps to herself and does her own thing. She's even more obsessive than I am about things she does- she could spend hours reading or going online researching about random things. One of her favourite things for example is art and circus theatre, and she could talk for hours about the random details that honestly can be quite boring, but she seems so enthusiastic about it that it's hard to "call her out". That's just one topic, she's into quite a few.

I don't think she's as open about it with her parents, but recently when I was hanging out with her she broke down crying and hugged me. I asked her what's wrong, and she said how unfair it was that people at her school aren't friends with her. She said sometimes boys would come and talk to her but when she tries to talk to them back after a while they would call her "weird" or "a freak" and walk away from her. If it's relevant, she's not ugly or fat, but not that pretty either, obviously it's hard for me to say how "hot" she is but she's a 6 or 7 and looks pretty normal so that shouldn't be a problem. But I can understand how people think she's different.

It's out of left field to me, I mean I noticed she hasn't had friends over but I always thought she's really introverted and prefers having more alone time. I never realised how much she'd been trying to make friends and failing. I figured it would be worth a shot to post this here just in case you guys are able to help me.

I don't think this is the right forum to help socialize your niece. There are professionals who do that at her school. Your sister should be speaking to them.

Also, why the fuck are you rating the attractiveness of your 14 year old niece with Asperger's? That clearly proves why she's opening up to you.

Edit:
Quote: (10-15-2015 02:49 AM)Helix Wrote:  

That's really sad how the girls didn't know they weren't supposed to look at each other or pull their pants all the way down...

One of the many quirks of my LTR is she always pisses standing up. She doesn't even use one of those silly devices- I asked her about it and she says she just uses her fingers to manipulate where the urethra is pointing.

When I first saw her piss(after the first bang) it was pretty unnerving when I saw her stand up. But now I've gotten used to it. Part of her "charm", I don't care if it might seem a bit masculine. But at least she knows how to piss properly unlike the girls in the vid...

[Image: 200.gif]

Obviously I was trying to give some context. We all know how superficial high schoolers are, especially about looks.

Quote: (10-23-2015 08:51 PM)Helix Wrote:  

My sister and her boyfriend(her dad)

Please clarify.

G

Wordy nonsense topic and implausible scenario.

Weird sexual attraction disguised as male.

Genre: Formal
Female = 719
Male = 464
Difference = -255; 39.22%
Verdict: FEMALE

You're almost better going to a subreddit on reddit.com that specializes in this kind of thing.

The biggest issue people on the autism-aspergers spectrum have is reading people and understanding social rules. There are whole books and other internet communities devoted to this kind of thing.

The best piece of advice I ever got was that you're better off treating them like a foreigner from a very different land that needs the most basic social cues explained to them.

Quote:Quote:

recently when I was hanging out with her she broke down crying and hugged me. I asked her what's wrong, and she said how unfair it was that people at her school aren't friends with her.

You just described the vast majority of 14-year-old high school girls in existence.

Quote: (10-23-2015 09:15 PM)El Chinito loco Wrote:  

Wordy nonsense topic and implausible scenario.

Weird sexual attraction disguised as male.

Genre: Formal
Female = 719
Male = 464
Difference = -255; 39.22%
Verdict: FEMALE

She still hasn't sent me a naked picture or her number. I will let you guys know if she does.

Quote: (10-23-2015 10:55 PM)Merenguero Wrote:  

She still hasn't sent me a naked picture or her number. I will let you guys know if she does.

Don't forget to blur out her face, if you do.

G

Quote: (10-23-2015 10:59 PM)Geomann180 Wrote:  

Quote: (10-23-2015 10:55 PM)Merenguero Wrote:  

Don't forget to blur out her face, if you do.

G

Trust me, I won't post the picture or P.M. it to anyone. I'll just tell you guys that she sent me the picture. If these female trolls started thinking that I would post or P.M. their naked pictures, I seriously doubt they would send them to me.

Damn, I was hoping Soma would step in with some Tuth level ban hammer gif. Oh well, there's always Nov. 1st.