rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

TPP Agreement Reached

TPP Agreement Reached

You knew it was coming:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/06/busine...ached.html

Quote:Quote:

The United States and 11 other Pacific Rim nations on Monday agreed to the largest regional trade accord in history, a potentially precedent-setting model for global commerce and worker standards that would tie together 40 percent of the world’s economy, from Canada and Chile to Japan and Australia.

The Trans-Pacific Partnership still faces months of debate in Congress and will inject a new flash point into both parties’ presidential contests.

But the accord — a product of nearly eight years of negotiations, including five days of round-the-clock sessions here — is a potentially legacy-making achievement for President Obama, and the capstone for his foreign policy “pivot” toward closer relations with fast-growing eastern Asia, after years of American preoccupation with the Middle East and North Africa.

Mr. Obama spent recent days contacting world leaders to seal the deal. Administration officials have repeatedly pressed their contention that the partnership would build a bulwark against China’s economic influence, and allow the United States and its allies — not Beijing — to set the standards for Pacific commerce.

I was tipped off by someone on Facebook who said that those against this "have no idea how international trade works."

Whatever that means.

Read my Latest at Return of Kings: 11 Lessons in Leadership from Julius Caesar
My Blog | Twitter

TPP Agreement Reached

Quote: (10-05-2015 10:18 AM)Libertas Wrote:  

"have no idea how international trade works."

I'm one of those people. The piece you quoted looks like it says nothing - what is this supposed to change exactly?

TPP Agreement Reached

It is going to mean a bargaining chip against China. China is building its fleet and the voices of Asia are against their presence near some of the worlds wealthiest trade routes and their own territory. If the US pivots its trade and military assets towards Asia they can essentially keep China penned in.

How that would work out is anybody's guess because Obama touches stuff and it turns to shit.

TPP Agreement Reached

Well it will give us all something to read to see what opportunities may be hidden within - NAFTA has not worked out so well however if this treaty can spread economic growth and wealth around the Pacific Rim and rein in China's expansionist ambitions to control the Globes resources and trade then it may have merit - the devil is truly in the details in this case - Obamas Arab spring initiatives backfired so lets see what happens with the TPP - perhaps Obama is trying to do one smart thing before he leaves office and if beneficial get a Dem elected so he will not be prosecuted for IRS manipulation against conservatives or War crimes etc.

What the hell am I saying - sounds too much like wishing thinking regarding Obama's motives.

TPP Agreement Reached

Quote:Quote:

But the accord — a product of nearly eight years of negotiations, including five days of round-the-clock sessions here — is a potentially legacy-making achievement for President Obama

His legacy of inciting a race war with blacks rioting in the streets, class warfare, and feminist kowtowing isn't enough for him?

TPP Agreement Reached

Quote: (10-05-2015 10:35 AM)General Stalin Wrote:  

Quote: (10-05-2015 10:18 AM)Libertas Wrote:  

"have no idea how international trade works."

I'm one of those people. The piece you quoted looks like it says nothing - what is this supposed to change exactly?

Exactly. Everything about this "deal" has been shrouded in mystery. From what I recall about leaks you can look forward to all of the following:
  • Gutting of whatever manufacturing in U.S. and Canada that NAFTA didn't wipe out
  • Far more stringent IP/copyright regulations - https://www.eff.org/issues/tpp
  • Rules, and courts to oversee disputes, which supercede a country's actual laws
  • Just be a giant giveaway to multinational corporations in general
I can appreciate the deal as a united front against China, but at what cost? Also, the intention of the deal is to bring China into TPP at some point, so, yeah...

But even what I've said is all conjecture based on leaked material that may or may not have made it into the final agreement. That's the worst part - everything's been done in secret. Nobody in the U.S. congress, Canadian parliament, or any of the other signatory countries' governments has been privy to any of it other than at the highest level of power & those at the negotiating table.

Of course there are promises that the whole agreement will be made available and be voted on by each country's government to get it enacted, I'll believe that when I see it. I really am interested in reading this 1000+ page document too, out of morbid curiosity.

It's going to play into the Canadian election majorly in the final 2 weeks, and in the U.S. Sanders is against it and Clinton will most definitely be for it. Trump will most likely be against it and could further his populist candidacy if he plays his cards right there - arguing he can do a bigger and better deal, Obama's team can't negotiate worth shit, etc.

But really, don't worry. This isn't like NAFTA, Obama said so.