rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

HR, Employers, and References

So I'm applying for a job and I get to the section where they ask for employment history:

Can we contact previous employer: Y or N?
Name of employment
Address
Phone: (by phone I think they mean the phone number of the business and not my supervisor)

I get to the section where they ask for reference:
So I put down the references of my supervisors and their phone numbers

my questions is when HR calls will they call the actual business phone number I gave above or will they call my references. I'm worried because the reference I gave no longer works at said company but he's willing to pretend like he still does. So if they call the business phone number and ask for said person he obviously won't be there. I would prefer that they call my supervisor directly. So will HR call the business or will they call the reference?

Unless you are at a top notch company or government agency the chances of a new employer actually calling a previous one is slim to none.

Why not just say "no they cannot contact the previous employer?" That's perfectly acceptable, unless you think it disqualifies you for some reason.

You're probably over-thinking this whole thing.

Vice-Captain - #TeamWaitAndSee

HR companies are more concerned with protocol than actually hearing about your past performance. These are mindless, bureaucratic, office jockeys. They have a checklist in front of them during the "onboarding" or hiring process that they have to check each box off, like criminal check, drug test, references, etc.

Your reference does not need to still work at that job. Shit, you could give one of your best friend's number and just have him pretend to be a former supervisor and chances are that's good enough.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Thanks guys!

Next time, make the effort not to "lie".
There is no problem having a reference who no longer works at that company.

As long as he knows you.

"I love a fulfilling and sexual relationship. That is why I make the effort to have many of those" - TheMaleBrain
"Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb." - Spaceballs
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Even if they do call the business number, 99% of the time they're just going to say "Yes, colblionel worked here from this date to this date" and leave it at that.

Quote: (08-27-2015 02:30 PM)iop890 Wrote:  

Even if they do call the business number, 99% of the time they're just going to say "Yes, colblionel worked here from this date to this date" and leave it at that.

funny thing is though I didn't. I actually extended the time I worked there, that's why I can't have them calling the business rather they call my references instead.

Quote: (08-27-2015 02:09 PM)Veloce Wrote:  

HR companies are more concerned with protocol than actually hearing about your past performance. These are mindless, bureaucratic, office jockeys. They have a checklist in front of them during the "onboarding" or hiring process that they have to check each box off, like criminal check, drug test, references, etc.

Your reference does not need to still work at that job. Shit, you could give one of your best friend's number and just have him pretend to be a former supervisor and chances are that's good enough.

Oh boy, is this ever true. This is why many people, even managers in their own company, do not trust HR with hiring decisions and selection of candidates. They are just too easy, ridiculously easy, to game.

As Veloce says, the majority (i.e. the bad ones) are completely checklist driven at the beginning and middle of a recruitment process. It may seem ridiculous, but if the job description has 15 requirements and you redesign your resume so that you not only claim all 15 points, but list them neatly in the same order as the job description most HR people will not think anything strange is up. It's nearly unbelievable. I've tried to explain to some of them that there is just no way, mathematically, that ANY candidate can actually even have all 15 skills you've listed in the first place, let alone casually whip out a resume that will list them in the same order. But they don't want to listen. They are basically begging to be lied to.

But don't bank on them not contacting your references. In the cases where I have agreed to act as a reference I have always been contacted if the candidate is being taken seriously.

Quote: (08-27-2015 02:06 PM)Gmac Wrote:  

Unless you are at a top notch company or government agency the chances of a new employer actually calling a previous one is slim to none.

Why not just say "no they cannot contact the previous employer?" That's perfectly acceptable, unless you think it disqualifies you for some reason.

You're probably over-thinking this whole thing.

yeah it would make sense to say no if I still worked there but I don't. No reason to get them suspicious and disqualify myself.

And you're right I actually am over thinking this I'm paranoid as fuck