rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Quality of Life: Los Angeles vs NYC

I currently live in Los Angeles and recently became able to transfer to NYC. I live in the South Bay on the beach. I'm pretty torn on this decision and could use some input into things I may of missed. Anyone who has lived in NYC or both cities are welcome to chime in.

Manhattan is out of the question. I must be east of the East River and within 45 minutes public transit time of JFK.

Housing Bankroll: $1500-2000/month. I consider both cities to be near equal on cost of living.

Game Style: Daygame (coffeeshops, bookstores etc) and chill wine bar/pub game. Not into clubs. Online is ok.

LA Advantages:
Weather
Outdoor activity
Higher quality housing
50% stronger social network
Cleanliness, safety and small town/relaxed atmosphere (a plus for me) is very high in South Bay

NYC Advantages:
50% additional income for doing same exact job
Increased dating opportunity and logistics
Ability to exist without a car
Ability to eventually build a stronger social network
Closer to New England where my family lives

I exclusively date FOB Asian women. Any suggestions on a quality neighborhood to live in in NYC to accomplish this is welcome.

“There is no global anthem, no global currency, no certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag, and that flag is the American flag!” -DJT

NYC all the way man. Walking on a regular basis has an extreme effect on a person's life. Also, the CEO of Zappos coined this term ROC return on collision, which was more applicable to business opportunities that I equate to women. What is the return% likelihood that you'll accidentally bump into someone you want to meet who can benefit your life (collission)

Flushing has tons of Asian fob girls. I've Considered mOVing there in future myself as I'm currently in valley.

Good luck man

Quote: (08-09-2015 01:19 PM)RIslander Wrote:  

I consider both cities to be near equal on cost of living. - What is this based on?

NYC Advantages:
50% additional income for doing same exact job And 50% greater housing expense

Are you looking for a similar living situation or are you willing to go down to less sq ft?

Ny is more expensive in virtually every aspect from my experience.

I myself prefer a walkable city like NY, but having grown up in CA there is no denying it is a far better monetary value. If the non-monetary positives of NY are enough for you then go for it, otherwise is you're looking for just the best value then CA will give you much more of that.

Americans are dreamers too

Quote: (08-09-2015 02:19 PM)GlobalMan Wrote:  

Are you looking for a similar living situation or are you willing to go down 1/2 to 2/3 less sq ft?

I'm willing to downsize my apartment. I currently pay $1,750 for a nice sunny 800 square foot apartment a block off the beach. I realize that same amount is going to give me a decent, 5-600 square foot apartment with no view. My only concern is that it is safe, clean and near public transit. I realize it may be 10-20% more expensive but that is offset by not having to maintain a vehicle.

General idea of what I'm looking for: http://www.padmapper.com/show.php?source...5&src=main

If this isn't realistic please let me know!

“There is no global anthem, no global currency, no certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag, and that flag is the American flag!” -DJT

Quote: (08-09-2015 02:26 PM)RIslander Wrote:  

Quote: (08-09-2015 02:19 PM)GlobalMan Wrote:  

Are you looking for a similar living situation or are you willing to go down 1/2 to 2/3 less sq ft?

I'm willing to downsize my apartment. I currently pay $1,750 for a nice sunny 800 square foot apartment a block off the beach. I realize that same amount is going to give me a decent, 5-600 square foot apartment with no view. My only concern is that it is safe, clean and near public transit. I realize it may be 10-20% more expensive but that is offset by not having to maintain a vehicle.

General idea of what I'm looking for: http://www.padmapper.com/show.php?source...5&src=main

If this isn't realistic please let me know!

Wow, that seems like a pretty good price for a good sized 1br near the beach

^Yeah I think something like that is definitely a good choice for the price range you're looking at.

If you want a change I say go for it. For me personally though, I would only move to NYC if I could be more in the mix of things, which would require more bankroll than I have, otherwise I would feel like I'm paying more and still not getting the full experience.
It seems though like you are aware of the positives and negatives, so you'd do fine I'm sure.

Quote: (08-09-2015 02:27 PM)TheBMan Wrote:  

There are some good values in CA. Long Beach is another area. A few years ago I paid $650 for a studio also a block from the beach.

Quote: (08-09-2015 02:39 PM)GlobalMan Wrote:  

There are some good values in CA. Long Beach is another area. A few years ago I paid $650 for a studio also a block from the beach.

I paid $700.00 for a one bedroom five blocks from the beach. If you have a car, parking is horrible in Long Beach. If you live and work within the city limits, I really don't see the point in having a car. This theory that you can't live without a car in the Los Angeles area is not true. Maybe if you are in the valley or Burbank or somewhere. In most parts of coastal Southern California you can get by without a car, especially if you live close to where you work.

Quote: (08-09-2015 02:45 PM)Merenguero Wrote:  

I paid $700.00 for a one bedroom five blocks from the beach. If you have a car, parking is horrible in Long Beach. If you live and work within the city limits, I really don't see the point in having a car. This theory that you can't live without a car in the Los Angeles area is not true. Maybe if you are in the valley or Burbank or somewhere. In most parts of coastal Southern California you can get by without a car, especially if you live close to where you work.

God yes, parking is difficult. I really had to consider did I really need to take that trip, or would it be better to keep my spot? I ended up just walking or riding my bike most places. luckily the Vons was only about 3 blocks away. I worked at home, so really I could have just sold my car.

Quote: (08-09-2015 02:56 PM)GlobalMan Wrote:  

God yes, parking is difficult. I really had to consider did I really need to take that trip, or would it be better to keep my spot? I ended up just walking or riding my bike most places. luckily the Vons was only about 3 blocks away. I worked at home, so really I could have just sold my car.

Was that the Vons around Belmont? If so, you and I probably lived in the same area. They used to do this thing once a week where they would make people move their cars from one whole side of the street in order to sweep the street. If you didn't move your car, you got a really expensive ticket. I don't think they towed people. On the days where they did that, parking was at its worse, because roughly one half of the parking was not able to be used and I would often have to park a half mile or so away from where I lived.

Quote: (08-09-2015 03:02 PM)Merenguero Wrote:  

Quote: (08-09-2015 02:56 PM)GlobalMan Wrote:  

Was that the Vons around Belmont? If so, you and I probably lived in the same area. They used to do this thing once a week where they would make people move their cars from one whole side of the street in order to sweep the street. If you didn't move your car, you got a really expensive ticket. I don't think they towed people. On the days where they did that, parking was at its worse, because roughly one half of the parking was not able to be used and I would often have to park a half mile or so away from where I lived.

The Vons on Broadway, I was a few blocks east of there and just up from Ocean Blvd. My brother still lives there. I forgot about street sweeping a couple times, I believe it was Thursday morning, cost me a pretty penny. Like you said they didn't tow, just ticketed. You could see the parking situation getting worse just over a few months period. I started out being able to usually get a spot on my block, then it was next block was a good bet, then it was 3 blocks or more. You learn the little areas that often have a space after some time though. I kind of miss that place honestly.

Belmonts a great area... I'm out there kitesurfing several times a week in the summer. The parking is a pain in the ass though.

Quote: (08-09-2015 03:50 PM)RIslander Wrote:  

Belmonts a great area... I'm out there kitesurfing several times a week in the summer. The parking is a pain in the ass though.

I actually think Belmont is one of your best bets in California, if not the entire United States. If you like surfing, Seal Beach and Huntington are obviously preferable. I was really disappointed that Shoreline Cafe on Second Street closed. It was basically a twenty four hour diner with top quality food.

Quote: (08-09-2015 03:56 PM)Merenguero Wrote:  

I actually think Belmont is one of your best bets in California, if not the entire United States. If you like surfing, Seal Beach and Huntington are obviously preferable. I was really disappointed that Shoreline Cafe on Second Street closed. It was basically a twenty four hour diner with top quality food.

I didn't know it closed. Enjoyed that place a few times. I was right down the street from Long Beach Cafe which is pretty good too, but not 24hrs.

Quote: (08-09-2015 04:05 PM)GlobalMan Wrote:  

I didn't know it closed. Enjoyed that place a few times. I was right down the street from Long Beach Cafe which is pretty good too, but not 24hrs.

Yeah, it was basically a small chain, they had other locations in Seal Beach, Huntington, Newport, and maybe another place. It's actually called the Shorehouse Cafe. The Newport location is still open as far as I know. The Shoreline Cafe was a place near downtown Long Beach which is also closed. The Belmont location did a pretty big volume and I'm not sure what the overall problem was, maybe overhead was too high, being on Second Street, maybe the other locations caused a burden on the whole operation, etc. I never went to any of the other locations.

I actually think Belmont is one of your best bets in California, if not the entire United States.

Corona del Mar is better. Same beach village vibe but without all the fags (Not LA county I know but not far)

"Leap, and the net will appear". John Burroughs

"The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure."
Joseph Campbell

Quote: (08-09-2015 01:19 PM)RIslander Wrote:  

I exclusively date FOB Asian women. Any suggestions on a quality neighborhood to live in in NYC to accomplish this is welcome.

Flushing has a lot of Chinese. All the FOB Chinese I meet are always hanging out over there, although I rarely venture out that far except for food.

I think I suggested Flushing the last time you made this kind of inquiry. I don't think the cost of rent for a good place will be much of an issue in that part of Queens (the high rents are mainly an issue in the neighborhoods near Manhattan), and expenses such as groceries aren't nearly as bad as they are in Manhattan either.

One of my concerns is your being able to get to JFK within 45 minutes, since you'll have to get to the Airtrain in Jamaica (5 minute-trip to the airport terminals). Getting there requires either the subway or a limited bus (Q44). The former should be a bit quicker but it's not as direct as the bus, involves two train lines, and could be a bit unpredictable; the latter is a more direct trip but it's a popular bus route in the county and runs along Main St., which is often busy within Flushing. It's not uncommon to a number of packed buses. Either way, you would ideally want to be as close to the intersection of Main St. and Roosevelt Ave.

Flushing is also a very busy area in terms of foot traffic (comparable to busy areas of Manhattan), and not exactly the cleanest place. I've heard some people say that it was more Chinese than China, but I wouldn't know about that in too much depth.

Another area that just came to my head is Elmhurst, specifically along the Broadway corridor (south of Roosevelt Ave.). That stretch has predominantly the same kind of demographic as Flushing as well as a subway line that goes to Jamaica (20-minute ride or so). It's not nearly as busy as Flushing, and its rents aren't exactly through-the-roof either; but to avoid having to take two trains, it's best to stay near the intersection of Broadway and Roosevelt Ave in order to directly get the E train headed toward Jamaica. Not to the north of that intersection, though, since that's Jackson Heights, which has a south Asian (Indian, Pakistani, Nepalese) community. Stick strictly to the south if you want east Asians.

^Solid advice, thank you.

I remember Flushing being recommended on an earlier thread but I'm not sure its a great fit as the transportation isn't great and it isn't the cleanest place in the city.

Right now I'm leaning toward Kew Gardens/Forest Hills area... feel free to add any comments.

redacted

I've lived in both cities. My quick 2c

Cost of living is much higher in NYC, particularly housing.
Gaming is easier in NYC, especially if you're in Manhattan. Variety of chicks is also better.

I don't really mind the weather in NYC, but of course SoCal is better.

WIA is right about the experience, but I will say that a car isn't necessary to do things (though it certainly helps significantly in getting around Queens) if a subway station is within blocks of your place. Of course, the only neighborhoods that are within 45 minutes of public transportation to JFK are in Queens and parts of northeastern Brooklyn (including the now gentrifying Bushwick).

As for Kew Gardens and Forest Hills, those two areas have a similar demographic of families and elderly with some younger people mixed in. Kew Gardens is closer to the airport but the more active parts are actually along Metropolitan Ave. and Lefferts Blvd, which are farther from the subway line at Queens Blvd. and only have buses. Forest Hills is a bit more popular and a little pricier thanks to the commercial area of Austin St. that ranges about 10 blocks. There is also the busier subway station at 71 Ave.

Anyone have any suggestions on the Bedford-Stuyvesant area? Craigslist shows multiple 1BRs, with modern appliances and a decent amount of space in the $1700-$2000 range.

Bedford-Stuyvesant is one of the areas that has been gentrifying in the last 10 years. It used to be a very rough area of Brooklyn and some parts are still rather sketchy, but it's nothing like it was in the days of Biggie Smalls. The area is quite diverse now because of its relatively quick access to Manhattan.

The A and C lines run under Fulton St., but the former train actually has a stop at Howard Beach, which has a connection to the JFK Airtrain. I would say it's about a 20-minute ride on that train, but that doesn't include the waiting time. Only half of the A trains stop at Howard Beach, so the wait can sometimes be a little unpredictable.

I've been to the area a few times but I generally have no reason to go there. The citydata forum is a good place for more information about specific neighborhoods. The members there are very knowledgeable.

I haven't lived in LA, but have lived in NYC and San Diego on-and-off for 15 years.

Gaming is IMO a lot about logistics, and, for a guy who did live in Kew Gardens for a year, the logistics were horrible. Couldn't get a girl back there to save my life, so I ended up with a girlfriend who lived in Elmhurst.

WIA is right about Rego Park. Stay the fuck away. The only two places a single guy should live in Queens are Astoria and Long Island City.

If you want to play the game, you'll have to live in at least Astoria/Long Island City/Williamsburg/Greenpoint/DUMBO/Hoboken/Brooklyn Heights/Park Slope/maybe Jersey City. But I would live in Manhattan if I were you.

Studios in walk-ups in Manhattan are going for circa $2,000/mo. in the Village now. Around $3,000/mo. in elevatored, door-man buildings. Prices aren't that far off in the other peripheral areas that I mentioned above. You can lower the costs by having a roommate, but game and roommates don't mix that well from what I've experienced.

You'll live like a dog in my opinion. I think the quality of life here stinks. Yeah, you don't need a car, but a car can be practical, especially if you want to take a quick jaunt out of the city, or need to pick up shit. Yeah, you live in the Village, but the landlord barely puts in the money to keep up with deferred maintenance, you'll most likely have a pest problem, your space will be small, hardly any storage, etc.

There's always noise. Always. From your neighbour slamming a door to the screech of the brakes on the subway to a a-hole cab driver beeping his horn, there's always background noise. You may not think it'll bother you, but it builds up over time. The people who have grown up here have learned to filter it out. I grew up in the sticks, and I still haven't figured it out even though I've lived here almost as long as where I grew up. I constantly need to get away from the city just to lower my noise level, which then reduces my stress. Maybe it'll be different for you if you grew up in a mega city somewhere else.

Do you take a jog on the beach now? With fresh air and sunshine? Well, you're not going to get that when you jog along the East River choking on car fumes from FDR Drive. Or you hole yourself up in a dark, sweaty gym full of people.

And there are cute Asian girls here, especially fresh off the boat, but man, the hottest Asian girls I saw by far were in LA, or those LA girls who travelled to Vegas for the weekend.

I totally get it though if you want to be closer to family. But you'll have to deal with a lot of bullshit just to be closer to your family. It sounds like they're in D.C. or Boston. It'll still take four hours to get there by train.

Don't have anything more to add. Most people do the NYC thing for two years then burn out. You may be different, but don't expect your quality of life to improve at all unless your payroll starts eclipsing at least $300K. More like $500K to start really enjoying life here.