rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Brush with celebrity: Your opinions wanted

I'm curious to know your opinions on a situation that happened to me ten years ago, which continues to haunt me. The way I handled it was what seemed right for me at the time; but I'd like to know how many of you would have handled it differently, and how many would have handled it the same.

Living in the Washington, D.C. area, I occasionally go to cultural events at the French Embassy, which is on the outskirts of the Georgetown neighborhood. One day early in 2001, I read that a new French movie, Harry un ami qui vous veut du bien (2000) (known variously in English as With a Friend Like Harry . . . or Harry, He's Here to Help) was going to have its American premiere at the Embassy, with a personal appearance by a couple of its lead actors. (The Embassy was a ridiculous place to hold a premiere, by the way, since its film theater had no stereo sound, either analog or digital; and the only reason I went at all was that I assumed, wrongly, that there was no way they'd still be showing new films in mono in the year 2001.)

The film was a quite good neo-Hitchcockian suspense drama. It had four main characters, the least important of which--the girlfriend of the title character Harry--was played by a young French actress named Sophie Guillemin, who was one of the two cast members making an appearance at the Embassy. She would have been around 21 at the time of the filming, and was 23 at the time of the Embassy event. From the late nineties to the present, Sophie Guillemin has had a moderately successful career that's included some César (French Oscar) nominations, all of which I find incomprehensible, since she's a basically untrained actress who strikes me as having little in the way of talent or special charisma. The most striking thing about her is that she combines a very pretty face with a body that, while attractive, is almost shockingly zaftig for a French actress. There are plenty of pictures of her on the Internet, which you can check out to see what I mean.

Just to give a little psychological background on myself at the time of this incident, I'd been pretty much emotionally destroyed a few months earlier by getting a more or less definitive rejection from a French woman, who I'll call L., who was, and is, the love of my life; and I felt that since L. had in effect told me exactly how valueless I was in her eyes, there was no way I was going to bother being forbearing or kind to anybody myself either. I also wondered whether in the future I'd ever be capable of making any kind of other-than-sexual connection with a woman besides L., since the idea of being even the least bit flattering or romantic to another woman struck me as an obscene violation of the natural order of things. That is to say, even after being rejected by L., I was still feeling a desire to be romantically faithful to her, if you can believe that.

Anyway, as I watched Harry un ami qui vous veut du bien, it became clear to me that Sophie Guillemin's only real functions in it were to be a more or less personalityless partner to the character of Harry, and to supply some eye-candy. In the one shot that called for some heavy-duty acting from her, specifically requiring her to cry, she failed completely: obviously she hadn't been able to cry on cue when the scene was filmed, and so her head was turned away from the camera, the sound of her crying was obviously dubbed in, and when she did turn her face to the camera her eyes were completely white and dry. Now in my book, if you can't cry on cue, you don't deserve to be considered an actor at all, and so after that scene I basically wrote Sophie off as attractive but worthless.

In the question-and-answer session that followed the showing of the film, Sophie, speaking through a translator, actually managed to acquit herself rather well. Afterwards there was a reception, and while I was interested in DHV'ing by using my excellent French on some French babes, it never occurred to me that I might speak with Sophie, partly because I figured she'd be constantly surrounded by people, and partly because I knew I wouldn't be able to find a single good thing to say about her performance. But a few minutes into the reception, I realized that she was standing a few feet away from me, temporarily without anyone to talk to. (Maybe other people at the reception felt reluctant to talk to her for the same reasons I did.) So, making a spur-of-the-moment decision, I said to myself, "What the hell, I'll go over and talk with her". We started having a pleasant conversation in French--a conversation that I made sure stayed far away from the subject of her acting--and after a few minutes I realized, to my shock, that she was starting to give me the "doggy dinner bowl look". I guess something about my appearance, my manner, and my fluency in French had caught her interest, and I was starting to suspect she was thinking something might happen between the two of us outside of the reception. I thought to myself, "Can this actually be happening? Do I actually have a chance at fucking an actress from a major French film? How can I handle this? Would I actually be able to spend several hours with her without once letting on that I thought her performance sucked? What if she asks me what I think of her performance?" I managed to stay smiling and outwardly relaxed as I thought these panicked thoughts, though, and in the end I said to myself, "I can't go through with it; and anyway, I shouldn't monopolize her time at an event like this". So I politely started bringing things to a close, and then she spoke the last line in the conversation, which was, "À tout à l'heure". Which means "I'll see you shortly".

So she'd thrown down the gauntlet to me. Clearly she was thinking that we might both circulate and chat with others for a short time for appearance's sake, and then reconnect to do something together after the reception. But even with this encouragement from her, I just couldn't go through with it. My fear that she might expect me to compliment her on her acting, together with my post-dumping conviction that I couldn't bring myself to be gratuitously kind, let alone dishonestly kind, to anybody, were too much for me. So I talked for a short time with some other people, and just left.

From that day to this, I've been haunted by the thought that I might have made a bad decision, and that I pointlessly threw away a rare opportunity to fuck a woman whose sexiness had been validated by the power of cinema. Every time I see an actress cry on screen, I say to myself, "Sophie! If only you could have done that, I could have been your American boyfriend for a night!"

I know there was no right or wrong answer to this dilemma. But I'm curious to know what some of you would have done.

This post was WAY too long. no fucking way I'm gonna take the time to read through it.
WHY THE FUCK DO YOU CARE ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED WITH A GIRL FROM 10 YEARS AGO! HOLY SHIT! AND WHO GIVES A FUCK IF THIS BROAD WAS A CELEBRITY OR NOT. GET THE FUCK OVER IT.
seriously, just get over it and go talk to other girls

i quit after reading first paragraph....its seems more a review of a french movie than a helping thread.

I actually read the entire post.
Are you French?

Well, first, kudos for approaching and for NOT complementing her with the acting stuff.

Second, yeah, you blew it but I think that your inner game wasn't at your best point going with the L stuff and everything, accept your loss and move on, it's been 10 years.

Mmm, I googled her http://www.google.com/search?q=Sophie+Gu...40&bih=799

Not that hot, I was imagining something like Alizee...

Move on and stop replaying it.

Your main problem is with inner game there, you didn't feel like you were good enough for her and blew it. You are valuing women higher than yourself (eg. the one you call the love of your life) which leads to problems.

Work on your confidence, inner game and get out there and start approaching more. Once you have other girls to occupy your nights you will stop obsessing about something that happened ten years ago.

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

To the people who've replied so far: Sorry to those of you who were offended by my original post's length. I wanted to convey the complexity of the situation, and also I thought the story might have enough entertainment value, for some readers at least, to justify their taking the time to read it.

bars: No, I'm not French. I'm just an American who's taken the study of French fairly seriously in the past, partly because I have a thing for French women.

Caligula: I wouldn't agree that I didn't feel like I was good enough for her. Of course, society would have said I wasn't good enough for her, because she was a celebrity of sorts and I wasn't; but by the time I was a few minutes into the conversation with her, I had captivated her and I think I could have had her, and what was bothering me was that I thought she wasn't good enough for me, because I thought she was a lousy actress.

To me, the key question that this story raises is, how far are we willing to go to bang a woman who we find sexually attractive but who we don't respect as a competent human being?

Finally, I just want to reassure everybody that I haven't been celibate for the last ten years. I've had a reasonable amount of activity, just not with any celebrities.

Quote: (06-09-2011 12:11 PM)gds555 Wrote:  

Caligula: I wouldn't agree that I didn't feel like I was good enough for her. Of course, society would have said I wasn't good enough for her, because she was a celebrity of sorts and I wasn't; but by the time I was a few minutes into the conversation with her, I had captivated her and I think I could have had her, and what was bothering me was that I thought she wasn't good enough for me, because I thought she was a lousy actress.

To me, the key question that this story raises is, how far are we willing to go to bang a woman who we find sexually attractive but who we don't respect as a competent human being?

Apologies, that point bypassed me. It's very commendable to not compromise and start kissing her ass. Celebrities have people sucking up to them all the time. You seem to have been worried about the outcome of telling her that you thought she was lousy in the film. Why worry so much about that? If telling the truth was that important to you in that situation, either avoid the question or tell her the truth without fear of the consequences.

The thrill of banging a celeb is in getting with someone who has tons of social proof and is widely desired. Having a one night stand with someone you don't respect at all isn't a big deal. I've put up with some intolerable girls who only had being hot going for them.

There are some great point about how to approach celebrities in this thread by the way http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-4843.html

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

Pretty damn far

Quote: (06-09-2011 06:56 PM)wi30 Wrote:  

Pretty damn far
No,the post wasn't long it was just detailed. It was a good read and he still retained instinctive game not pedestalizing her. The problem was his self confidence had just taken a major beating,though he could still recognise the 'fuck me look.'
OP,I also got my heart broken at the time-now I just laugh whenever I remember that simple hoe and her retarded monkey antics.