rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

[Essay] A Speech By The Personification Of Failure

[Essay] A Speech By The Personification Of Failure

Good day, all.

I am a new poster here on RVF though I have been lurking on the website for some time now. Recently, I have been reading the works of one of the members here, i.e. Quintus Curtius. I have just finished reading Thirty Seven a few days ago and am more than halfway through Pantheon at the moment. Reading his works has given me inspiration to write my own stuff. Long before I knew about the manosphere or the red pill, I have always been into writing stories, essays and poetry. However, it was only after the manosphere and the red pill (or are we going with neomasculinity now?) that I started getting inspired by various philosophies and ancient works.

Below is the result of my latest efforts. I hope to receive opinions and constructive criticisms on (1) my writing skill itself and (2) the topic of the essay.

Regards.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ESSAY] A Speech By The Personification Of Failure

A figure walks at a steady pace towards the centre of the stage. Upon reaching the centre, he stands with his feet wide apart and crosses his arms across his broad chest. Looking down below him at his audience, he finds them glaring at him. His stern expression unchanging, he begins his talk.

Salutations. It is without a doubt that all of you already know why you are here and I will be going with the assumption that all of you are already well acquainted with me. Many of you have met me more often than you would prefer. As much as you despise me, I will continue to visit all of you many more times in the future. I may not be able to read minds but I know all of those assembled here would rather be within the company of my dear sister Success than with me. I may not be pleasant to look at unlike my dear sister Success but for your own sakes, listen to what I have to say to all of you today and listen well because admittedly, I would rather be in a million other places than here right now. What is my purpose you may ask? What is my raison d'être? To some, I am a teacher. To others, I am a torturer. I am the son of Lady Fortune. I am Failure.

Listeners,

I do not care how loud or how long you cry. I do not care about your tantrums. I do not care if you curse at me in every language you know. In fact, I could not care less about any of you. Each of you are responsible for your own decisions in life and all of you will bear the effects of your decisions in due time. There is no such thing as actions without consequences. The obstacles set before each of you in your own unique paths in life are yours to be dealt with alone. You may have others to help you or sympathise you but in the end, it is you alone who will be the sole owner of the consequences of the decisions you have made in your life. When you make a bad decision, some of you will fail to resist the temptation to shift the blame to others. To this, I ask you, why? Is it not you who decided to be here? Perhaps you did not directly decide to be here but all the decisions you have made in life so far have resulted in you being where you are now and having what you have now.

I act as a filter of the living as you are challenged in the test called life. By my presence, fates shall be decided. The weak shall fall and perish. The strong shall persevere and triumph. Let me ask you, which one of the two would you rather be? Stop. Do not answer that question with your boastful words. Show me the truth within you with habits. To quote Baltasar Gracian, ‘The truth is generally seen, rarely heard’. Your words amount to nothing if all you do is daydream of your undeserved victories. My dear sister Success will not visit those who put nothing into life.

Listeners,

The lessons that my presence brings ought to resonate deep within you. Accept your flaws as they are. Do not be disappointed with your shortcomings. Instead, be pleased for your failings for you have found within you a journey that is ready to be undertaken. Let that journey be known as self-improvement. I shake my head in pity at the many souls who can see their self-perceived beauty in their reflections but do not see the blemishes in their characters. Many mistakes you have made so far in life and many more you shall make in the near and distant future. With every person that is alive, I hold a chain that is wrapped around each of you. Without warning, I will pull these chains and drag you for an untold amount of time and I will drag you deep into terrifying depths. How far are you willing to go for a chance with my dear sister Success? Will the efforts you make be enough to resist the pulls of my chains? Will you be able to climb out of the depths I drag you through?

In any competition, my dear sister Success and I are always present. At the same time, we are present elsewhere. I adore my dear sister Success like a good brother should but I cannot be biased with her. I will say this: She is no different than any other woman. Within her is a hypergamous trait which causes her to bless only the best contestants with her presence. Other contestants feel their hearts drop at their losses and their hearts turn bitter within my presence. My dear sister Success has often been complimented for her stunning good looks and many have fantasized about her. Other men envy a man with an attractive woman by his side. Similarly, other men envy a man with success. However, listen to what I have to say next. A word of warning to all who listens to my words: My dear sister Success is fickle and gets bored very easily. One day, she is with this person. Another day, she is with another. Many dream of overnight successes. Some reach the peaks of the mountains they climb. Yet, one should not rest on one’s laurels! If you do not continue your efforts after achieving success, if you get too comfortable with my dear sister Success’ presence, she will leave you for another.

Listeners,

For my closing words, let it be remembered of all that I have said to you today. Have hope in all that you do. Without hope, what other reason would there be to live? Learn from experience. I am harsh and I am strict. To be honest, I understand if you do not like me. I am not a fan of myself either. Despite that, I know my presence is a necessity to all of you. My advice to everyone: Be a better man than the day before whether stronger, faster, smarter or wiser. If you choose the easy way out of all the hardships placed before you, if I see that your souls have admitted defeat before me, then I will not show a single drop of sympathy for you. However, if I notice that you have made the appropriate efforts and I can see the fire of determination burning deep within your souls, then perhaps I might make a mention of your name and efforts to my dear sister Success. If you interest her enough and spark her curiosity, then my dear sister Success shall visit you. Godspeed.

The figure makes a small nod of his head and walks off.