rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Improving memory and overall cognitive process..

Hi guys,

bit of a random thread that I wanted to start, but I just wanted to ask broadly about this.

I feel like for a 26.5 year old guy, I have an awful memory sometimes. Mostly, I notice this at work. My job is sales related, and a lot of what I have to do is about cold calls, following up calls, and organizing calls in the calendar for later dates.

Anyway, its like my mental process in doing all of this and the data entry associated with the job is just shoddy. I am not sure whether I am just lazy doing the administration of the job, but I feel like I have a hard time sticking to a standard process in terms of the function of the job, making calls, entering the information gathered from those calls onto the system, putting something in the calendar, then moving to then next task. I find that tough and usually I end up multitasking way too much. I'll be half way through a task, then have to respond to someone in the office, and then get a call, and then its lunch, and then I forgot the original task for example!

Secondly, I then have the problem of just forgetting basic stuff, like, the name of the a client, or what time they said they wanted me to call back. My boss will ask me, 'what happened with x?' and despite the fact this will be a task I carried out in the last few days, it will take me a few seconds of umming and urring until I am able to clarify. Sometimes I have to look through my inbox/calendar/crm system just to clarify my bosses question because of my poor memory recall.

I have had a lot of times where I have forgotten to follow up with customers at agreed times. My boss has also asked me to do countless tasks which I have not done straight away. I get stuck in this task on multitasking, and I just generally 'dont feel on top' of my work at any given moment. It feels like a continual and never ending spiral of administration and organising, and because of the high workload of my job and fast moving pace, I have to respond very quickly to what is going on.

I feel worried that despite my overall good sales perfomance and strong ability to sell on the phone, my good nature in the office and overall work ethic, that my admin/working memory/and process is really hindering me at the moment.

I just need to be sharper..

If anyone can relate, advise, emphathise and just generally provide any useful/help or tips I would really appreciate it!

In regards to improving some of my process/memory, I know there are two tools I can use to help, one being using a calendar to look at the week ahead, and also a daily diary to use before work to make sure I am aware of everything going on during a particular day. Secondly, I realised also I should create a kind of alarm process so I get a sound reminding me of an upcoming call in my calendar so I don't forgot the next call if I am buried into another task.

So yes, I am aware of how I can improve, but secondly I would really like to be sharper and feel more 'on top' of everything. My memory needs to improve. If anyone can give any pointers, I would appreciate it!

Thanks

I have always had good memory retention,(most people say I have excellent recall skills) but 2 years back, I went through a period of 6 months when I began to display symptoms similar to yours. I was worried if it was something serious and trust me, worry made it a lot worse than it was. Gradually, I regained my old memory recall ability. Now, when I look back at the period, I realize that the two biggest hindrances to memory recall are:
1. Stress
2. Multi tasking

When you hear someone's name, repeat it often.Let's say a guy named Patrick calls you up, once you hear his name, immediately repeat his name if you can, in course of your conversation with him, say, for example's sake, "That will all right, Patrick...I will call you again, Patrick, at around 8 in the evening" Repetition will improve memory recall.To me, it seems, you are also disorganized, relative to your job and if you introspect and find out that that is the case,then perhaps being more organised(prioritizing key work, posting reminders where you are most likely to see them often) will help you. Visualization will also help you in organizing your life.

Hi Goelsaab,

thanks for your advice and its good to know you were able to regain your memory recall.

There are definitely some basics to improve upon that I think I can implement. Its just prioritizing these tasks and doing things methodically. Easier said then done it seems but doing things like looking at my schedule for the week ahead on sunday night, making sure I have logged all my calls at the end of the day, these are things that are not hard to implement from a practical point of view but just require willpower.

Did you find that improving your organisation had a knock on effect with improving your memory recall?

Thanks

I can also account this symptoms to (high) stress and multitasking at work. Usually multiple task/project requests a day + meetings, it just fucks up my focus and memory. Haven't found a cure yet and think only changing job position or prioritizing work and disregarding any interruptions would help (but you can't do that to "costumers").

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote: (07-18-2015 07:31 AM)void Wrote:  

I can also account this symptoms to (high) stress and multitasking at work. Usually multiple task/project requests a day + meetings, it just fucks up my focus and memory. Haven't found a cure yet and think only changing job position or prioritizing work and disregarding any interruptions would help (but you can't do that to "costumers").

Hi Void,

glad you can emphathise with my symptoms too!

I suppose to some extent it is the requirement of a 'modern' job - handling projects, meetings, people, and also handling data entry, telephones, mobiles, emails, internet, CRM systems. It can be very easy to forget something as my job requires continual multitasking, stopping and starting, and it sometimes seems nigh on impossible to have perfect admin skills as well as remember everything 100%, but I could at least improve by a few points.

I suppose there are a lot of jobs that don't require multitasking and high levels of stress. Takeaway how much you can earn but there is a world of difference between being a painter and decorater for example and working in an office where you are stretched. As a painter its your job to paint a room for example and each day you paint a wall. Sure, there is a boredom factor but you are focusing on one thing, with complete focus for that day. Where as with what we do, its focusing on 100 things on one day.

It may be good to check E-Mails only 2 times a day. Morning and after lunch, so you can plan out the two mayor working phases for the day. There will be interruptions you can't plan though.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

It would be ideal to do that, although my boss requires we check emails constantly when he is sending them from a different location or when we are cc'd into the same email. It requires immediate response and some kind of attached process/response before going back to the initial task which doesn't help.

My function is not poor, but I would like to be able to create a smooth functioning ability and for my boss not to pick me up on anything for once. When looking at it objectively, most of it is 'easy' in some respect but just requires an element of awareness to remember everything and ultimately prioritizing completion of tasks if it means getting into the office early or staying late to ensure staying on top of things.

Quote: (07-18-2015 07:22 AM)Georges89 Wrote:  

Hi Goelsaab,

thanks for your advice and its good to know you were able to regain your memory recall.

There are definitely some basics to improve upon that I think I can implement. Its just prioritizing these tasks and doing things methodically. Easier said then done it seems but doing things like looking at my schedule for the week ahead on sunday night, making sure I have logged all my calls at the end of the day, these are things that are not hard to implement from a practical point of view but just require willpower.

Did you find that improving your organisation had a knock on effect with improving your memory recall?

Thanks

A lot...Being more organised was the starting point of the process. Also, consider some extra preparation work on the weekends. Eliminating distractions is another way to go. Many people have this habit of working 1 hour on and then take a 5 minute breather. For me, at least the first breather must come in 2 hours into the day...that is, it takes me at least 2 hours to establish a rhythm. Once a rhythm is established, the work is as enjoyable as play itself.

Quote: (07-18-2015 08:36 AM)Georges89 Wrote:  

It would be ideal to do that, although my boss requires we check emails constantly when he is sending them from a different location or when we are cc'd into the same email. It requires immediate response and some kind of attached process/response before going back to the initial task which doesn't help.

My function is not poor, but I would like to be able to create a smooth functioning ability and for my boss not to pick me up on anything for once. When looking at it objectively, most of it is 'easy' in some respect but just requires an element of awareness to remember everything and ultimately prioritizing completion of tasks if it means getting into the office early or staying late to ensure staying on top of things.

It is here that you could try to mould the circumstances to your advantage. Avoid multi tasking and if you could, delegate lower level work that does not require your intellectual ability and that does not earn you any extra plaudits to lower level staff or intern(subject to confidentiality of the subject matter). Eliminate all sorts of distractions or at least, assign a block of time to indulge your distraction. I had to give up checking up cricket scores during work to regain my memory recall. Do not check internet social media during work- except if it helps in your professional endeavours

Hi Goelsaab, certainly I am lucky as I have the option of delegating some lower level/administrative work.

I think alongside improving my organisation (I need to tidy my desk, my drawers, my actual desktop and files), organising a more coherent calender system, and perhaps leaving some more sticky notes, I think the main thing for me is to get into work a little earlier, make my day plan whilst tis quiet, coordinate the day, and make sure I am being more systematic with recording my call information, call by call.

I think part of 'my problem' is that I go to work, expecting to start at normal hours, and leave at normal hours, and often I don't log the information as well as I should after a call, if at all. So I am my own worst enemy I think. Hopefully as I begin to run a tighter ship in regards to having a more coherent and organised process my memory recall will improve!

I used to do Muay Thai and I suffered some concussions during sparring which gave me short term memory loss. I'm not sure if I suffered any long term consequences. I do worry sometimes.

What helps me is that whenever I have a task do I always write it down in my diary. I also use apps like Google Keep on my phone, or even set the alarm on my phone with a reminder if the matter is urgent. I think apps like Google Keep can sound off alarms for selected notes but I haven't tried this yet.

I eat a very clean diet nowadays and this definitely improved my clarity of thought, memory and mental energy. By clean I mean no processed foods, no additives, no refined carbs and no sugar. I actually avoid carbs altogether, although that might not be critical in terms of memory function.

Meditating for 5-10 mins every day also helps.

I also play a musical instrument and study a foreign language. I believe both of these activities can train and improve memory function.

Hi Robert S, thanks for the advice.

A big part of my problem is creating a reminder in my outlook calendar, but completely forgetting about the appointment because I don't look at my calendar for a few hours. I need to make sure I have some kind of sound alert from my phone/computer to make sure I don't miss it.

I eat somewhat clean, but could do with improving. Do you still drink? I feel if I was to stop that, it would probably help a lot.

And as for the musical instrument, I have been thinking about that for absolutely ages. I was thinking of even getting a keyboard and start from there. As for foreign languages, I have dabbled in and out of them, but would like to go to a language class in the week, I think that would be beneficial also. Both the musical instrument and languages apparently have a really good effect on the brain. I find the work itself can be quite mind numbing as well, and things like playing an instrument, or learning a language really energize the mind again.

Quote: (07-19-2015 06:00 AM)Georges89 Wrote:  

A big part of my problem is creating a reminder in my outlook calendar, but completely forgetting about the appointment because I don't look at my calendar for a few hours. I need to make sure I have some kind of sound alert from my phone/computer to make sure I don't miss it.

I eat somewhat clean, but could do with improving. Do you still drink? I feel if I was to stop that, it would probably help a lot.

And as for the musical instrument, I have been thinking about that for absolutely ages. I was thinking of even getting a keyboard and start from there. As for foreign languages, I have dabbled in and out of them, but would like to go to a language class in the week, I think that would be beneficial also. Both the musical instrument and languages apparently have a really good effect on the brain. I find the work itself can be quite mind numbing as well, and things like playing an instrument, or learning a language really energize the mind again.

Happy to be of help.

I don't drink at all. This is due to other factors, but drinking definitely does affect my memory.

Pick up an instrument and learn some pieces or learn to improvise. You won't regret it.

My language learning is mainly done via apps on my phone. Duolingo is a great one for European languages. Chinese Skill is great for Mandarin Chinese. Both these apps help you to learn via constant testing. They're quite fun and each module only takes about 15 mins to complete.

After a couple of heavy concussions I also found my memory to be a little groggy. Here are some things I found to help quite substantially.

*Cardio - make your brain vascular health a top priority
* Gingko Biloba - again, ties into brain vascular health (also gives you super hard boners)

* zma - for deep restful sleep and rejuvenation.
* Fish oil - Eph / dha are very important for brain health.
* Dual n Back - brain training game has been invaluable, think of it like weight lifting for the brain.

Constantly learning will keep you sharp because you are training your focus everyday.

Also a great way for getting someone else to remember your name is to give them a reason to remember it. E.g. im michael, as in michaelangelo but im not a painter. They will remember that extra comment and by association remember your name. Use this trick in reverse for remembering client names.

If you are not trying to associate remembering things with either pictures or phrases then you are not using your memory optimally. You need to build strong neural connections if you want to learn or remember a lot in a small amount of time.

Also OP it just sounds like you are a bit out of practice. The brain needs training as well like your muscles.

Quote: (07-19-2015 06:39 AM)Robert JS Wrote:  

Quote: (07-19-2015 06:00 AM)Georges89 Wrote:  

Happy to be of help.

I don't drink at all. This is due to other factors, but drinking definitely does affect my memory.

Pick up an instrument and learn some pieces or learn to improvise. You won't regret it.

My language learning is mainly done via apps on my phone. Duolingo is a great one for European languages. Chinese Skill is great for Mandarin Chinese. Both these apps help you to learn via constant testing. They're quite fun and each module only takes about 15 mins to complete.

Yeah, I know drinking will effect me more. Its essientally a neurotoxin when you look at the scientific effect it has on the brain, not to mention the rest of your organs.

I was actually learning some italian via duolingo, perhaps its time to start that up again.

As for the musical instrument, thats definitely something I'd like to start up. Any type of instrument you would recommend ? I guess a guitar is probably an obvious one to start with potentially..

My panacea for everything is working out, though when it comes to cognitive function i believe diet plays a much larger role than we'd like to admit.

I was having problems similar to you OP, though i was consuming a lot of healthy foods, taking zma, vitamin D, fish oil, and even working out 4 days a week yet i felt like a dumb gym guy.

I did some reading and discovered that if you supplement Zinc your copper levels will drop. Copper is incredibly important for memory and cognitive processes. Almost immediately after taking 2mg of copper my mental abilities improved. I reached a sort of equilibrium after a week or so. My quick wit returned and I was able to remember short term details more effectively.

OP take a look at your diet, potentially go to your GP and get a blood panel done to make sure your vitamins are in place.

Look into nootropics.

Edit: And also optimize your diet.

Quote: (07-19-2015 07:27 AM)007 Wrote:  

After a couple of heavy concussions I also found my memory to be a little groggy. Here are some things I found to help quite substantially.

* Gingko Biloba - again, ties into brain vascular health (also gives you super hard boners)

* Dual n Back - brain training game has been invaluable, think of it like weight lifting for the brain.

Can you recall specific before and afters results when using Dual n Back training?

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

A very important tip is to sleep well. Aim for 7 hours a night. In my opinion, apart from cutting down on multi-tasking, good, restful sleep is perhaps no.1 tip for memory recall

Check out Ageless Memory by Harry Lorayne. The title claims that it's for those over 50, but it applies to all ages. It's big on mnemonics.

Do a Google search and you'll be able to find it as a free pdf.

http://www.amazon.com/Ageless-Memory-Sec...B005M4BZUI

“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”

- George Carlin

I understand your symptoms because I've been there but the biggest concern I have is that this could be an early sign of burning out. Is your work starting to affect things like sleep, going to the gym, or your diet? As complex as the brain is, it is still simply a part of the body that is significantly affected by some key factors - sleep, exercise, diet (avoid too much alcohol, sugar, caffeine, etc.). Don't let those things suffer because you will eventually hit a downward spiral.

A few possible solutions:

Improve organization. A couple hours over the weekend could help since you won't be expecting to respond to anyone at that time. You could also block out time on your calender to work on this. I try to block out 15-30 minutes after any meetings so I don't have to jump into the next thing and can organize any notes from the meeting.

Eliminate activities that are driving the least of your results. If it was me, I would have a conversation with my boss about this but I would make sure to have a prepared explanation of what I was trying to accomplish (be more effective, not reduce work) and what other things I had already done such as improve organization.

Slow down, focus on the present moment and present task, meditate daily. You are multi-tasking too much and your brain is in fast mode.

It has greatly improved my concentration to where I can laser focus and block out peripheral stimuli, short term memory has improved (especially with long strings of numbers), problem solving abilities improved (seeing patterns, connecting the dots so to speak) and just general sharpness.

I don't know if dual n back will improve my iq beyond it's highest 'genetic' limit, but I do feel as if my iq is increasing to a great degree. This makes me think that most people do not make use of their full iq potential.

Give it a try for 30 days bro, 20 games per day. I would love to hear your results.

Quote: (07-19-2015 01:39 PM)Moma Wrote:  

Quote: (07-19-2015 07:27 AM)007 Wrote:  

Can you recall specific before and afters results when using Dual n Back training?

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards

You can try memory/brain supplements.

Fish oil, already mentioned
Windmill Health Products Focus Formula, look up on Amazon - i've been taking it, seems to work, though no miracles

Also make sure you get enough sleep.

Quote: (07-25-2015 04:49 PM)007 Wrote:  

It has greatly improved my concentration to where I can laser focus and block out peripheral stimuli, short term memory has improved (especially with long strings of numbers), problem solving abilities improved (seeing patterns, connecting the dots so to speak) and just general sharpness.

I don't know if dual n back will improve my iq beyond it's highest 'genetic' limit, but I do feel as if my iq is increasing to a great degree. This makes me think that most people do not make use of their full iq potential.

Give it a try for 30 days bro, 20 games per day. I would love to hear your results.

I'm on that, bro. I was formally on and off from it but I will try 30 days straight, 20 games per day.

Cheers.

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards