rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

It's Healthier for Your Work Ethic and Peace of Mind to Stay off Social Media

I just read an article on Johnny Manziel that talked about how he's stopped going on social media so much. Having a bare bones presence on social media, for business related ventures, and keeping the rest of your relationships focused on real life interactions, in my opinion, is the way to go.

I know guys who are addicted to facebook, and they don't seem to get much out of it. Once you reach adulthood, social media consumption has got to stop. It takes up time way too much time and studies have shown increased unhappiness involved with too much facebook use.

For those who use facebook or twitter, or something else too much, I challenge you to log off for a month and see if you like it more.

Does this forum count as social media?

"A stripper last night brought up "Rich Dad Poor Dad" when I mentioned, "Think and Grow Rich""

[Image: 608a5953119fd1356e707d3b16273fa1.jpg]

Funny, it's been a year and a half since I was posted on FB so sometimes I feel out of the loop when family/friends ask me if I saw XYZ on there yesterday

It no longer serves a purpose outside of family reunions or the occasional time sensitive event that needs my attention

Otherwise, it's just a bunch of under-dressed attention craving single moms, sex-starved orbitors living their 2nd childhood, and a bunch of 19 year olds philosophising on life/topics of which they know dick about

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjaOijwyErB1dWGpxbmrw...eAvAVTyrel]

MDP

I can attest to this 100%

I created a Facebook account back in 2009. Used it all the time the way typical people use FB. About a year and a half ago I deactivated it and created another one with a pseudonym and no friends just so I could manage my band's page and nothing else. It was far better and I noticed having it was just a time sink and a social crutch that did more harm than good.

I recently reactivated my account because I started my own business and have been using my sizable friends list and network to promote and advertise to. I notice myself falling back into old habits. Scrolling the newsfeed for no reason and looking at clickbait bullshit that serves zero purpose to me. I have at least kept from posting bullshit and commenting on bullshit as I'm trying to keep my account and ll my media I present as business-centric as possible - but I still notice myself starting to waste time using it.

Funny, this morning I typed out a thread about how it seems like social media is being used for re-educational purposes because I've watched how it comes up in conversations regarding controversial topics, like "One of my friends on Facebook recently posted about" and that creates a discussion that wouldn't have happened - even if it's a pro or con conversation. Social media creates the topics of discussion, then it's a matter of using teachers ("people with influence") to control and narrate the discussion.

Like other media re-educating, it's the same, the difference is that on social media it always appears to be a social conversation, when in reality, how many of us (without it) would even be thinking about stuff like this? In most cases, we might think a topic was about a crazy person or crazy event and just flat out ignore them. In time, it adds up to us perceiving reality different because we think it's more than just a journalist but a group of people who think a certain way (when in reality most, like us, don't understand why it's suddenly an issue or a concern).

All just thoughts, but sometimes wonder if anyone else has noticed this too.

So what are the worst social media outlets? There's Facebook, Instagram, Pintrest, Twitter? Which is the most corrosive? I vote for FB and Instagram. I can customize my twitter feed to be just the things and people I want to read.

Quote: (06-18-2015 12:39 PM)Menace Wrote:  

So what are the worst social media outlets? There's Facebook, Instagram, Pintrest, Twitter? Which is the most corrosive? I vote for FB and Instagram. I can customize my twitter feed to be just the things and people I want to read.

Instagram is probably the worst considering it's a woman's main beta male validation machine.

Facebook can be used properly i think. Most people just don't have self control. Completely giving up your privacy on these sites is not a good thing, and i bet it will come back to bite alot of people.

I like the way i'm using social media now, Tinder, Snapchat and Whatsapp for Game, private Facebook for family and longtime friends abroad. I have no interest in Instagram or Twitter. I also use LinkedIn for career networking purposes.

Quote: (06-18-2015 11:20 AM)spokepoker Wrote:  

Nah, this is more the "anti-social" media.

Лучше поздно, чем никогда

...life begins at "70% Warning Level."....

I joined Facebook in 2007 and to this day I have never posted a single comment about anything. I’ve Liked one thing as a favour to a friend. I log in every month or two to see family photos.

I’m surprised Facebook hasn’t been blocked in corporate America, it’s a massive time drain.

Quote: (06-18-2015 12:39 PM)Menace Wrote:  

I think twitter is the worst thing out there, it gives SJWs a method to shit on decent people. I think it's a net negative.

Social media can be useful for networking purposes, but for most people it's just a time sink. It's popular mostly because the majority of people have boring lives and get some value out of either following others or getting validation through likes/comments.

Quote: (06-18-2015 07:29 PM)LeeEnfield303 Wrote:  

Quote: (06-18-2015 11:20 AM)spokepoker Wrote:  

Nah, this is more the "anti-social" media.

I wouldn't consider it social media, but it is a form of consumption which in excess can be harmful. Fortunately, the majority of content here is positive and informative and I have genuinely learned a lot from this forum.

Personally, the only form of social media I use is Twitter, in part to promote websites. Though I do spend 10 minutes or so each day checking through my feed. I have a Facebook, but never use it.

The reason I like Twitter over Facebook is because you can connect with brilliant, wealthy and talented people, whereas Facebook is just coworkers and people from school posting stupid, negative shit that only brings you down (and your IQ).

As far as Instagram goes, I think it best epitomizes the narcissism of our modern society. Stay away... stay far, far away.

Edit: I have a LinkedIn, only for networking purposes. It was only in the last few weeks that I realized you can post articles and what not, and that you have a main feed on your homepage. I don't look at it though.

I only use Facebook to talk to friends and for some work related groups. My advice is, stop following EVERYONE, you get addicted to useless shit people post without even noticing.

Quote: (06-18-2015 11:42 PM)Hendrixian Wrote:  

I only use Facebook to talk to friends and for some work related groups. My advice is, stop following EVERYONE, you get addicted to useless shit people post without even noticing.

Yes, unfollow is the best feature. My facebook newsfeed is almost like a newsreader nowdays, I only follow websites I am interested in.

What content my "friends" create is useless anyway.

I only have a facebook account with the average amount of friends so I seem "normal" to anyone scanning for me in social media.

Deus vult!

Social media is poison to my work ethic.

I'm preparing for some big exams soon and I keep track of how many hours I study a day.

If I have no Facebook, no OKC, no Tinder, no GChat on all day, nothing but phone on airplane, with a calendar app on, a pomodoro app going, and a todo list nearby, I put in 5-7 hours of work.

If I slip, download Tinder, reactivate Facebook, whatever, it slips to 2-3 hours, without my even realizing it. And it doesn't just hurt when I'm not swiping through Tinder or cringing at Facebook posts, it hurts when I try to focus on the exam material. Time goes by a lot slower when I'm studying if I've been active on social media in any capacity in the near-term.

I've lost "friends" (drinking buddies) and my dating life is in the shitter, but I don't care.

These apps hurt you most in your tolerance to boredom. For all the talk on goal-setting, motivation, and self-discipline, it all boils down to how well you can tolerate being bored out of your mind for hours on end. Nothing fancy, nothing glorious, nothing impressive at all. If you can tolerate the utter boredom, the utter tedium of single-mindedly working at something, you can accomplish a great deal. Social media kills your tolerance of boredom. I can't afford that right now, so eff it all.

Anyone else remember when it was called TheFacebook, and had that quote "too close for missiles, I'm switching to guns"? It's only gotten dumber over the years.

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-44497....t=facebook

If you can't concentrate, get off of it, but it definitely be used effectively.

I only use LinkedIn because I have to. I got rid of Facebook a year and a half ago and do not miss it.

Delicious Tacos is the voice of my generation....

*Closes Facebook Tab*

I deleted everything besides Instagram, I think it may be time to get rid of that too. It's just way too easy to waste so much time on that thing, especially with the endless women on there. I find myself taking screenshots of sexy girls all the time and have amassed a huge picture library for no reason at all haha.

I do have a fake Facebook account set up for Tinder though, but that doesn't count!

I've retreated a lot from it over the past year. I discovered too many of my contacts were drinking the SJW kool-aid and I started putting them on "no follow". What scares me is that if you don't support the madness some of these chumps are pushing, they'll start accusing you of being "Republican" or some other sort of fearsome beast. For instance, found out an associate was gay when he published pictures of him and his boyfriend getting married. All the other Team Blue types began hitting the "like" button. I put him on "no follow". Consider what could happen in the future if you don't flag your approval to something like a gay guy getting married. You might get a gentle reminder to "like" the announcement or else.

Quote: (06-19-2015 09:13 AM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  

I only use LinkedIn because I have to. I got rid of Facebook a year and a half ago and do not miss it.

I ditched LinkedIn three months ago. Tired of the "add me" requests from jackasses I'd never heard of.

Лучше поздно, чем никогда

...life begins at "70% Warning Level."....

Quote: (06-18-2015 11:53 PM)Glaucon Wrote:  

Yes, unfollow is the best feature. My facebook newsfeed is almost like a newsreader nowdays, I only follow websites I am interested in.

What content my "friends" create is useless anyway.

This.

It's amazing people don't realize they have this control, they become addicted and caught up in trivial drama and then complain about it as though they have no control over what they see. I un-followed about 90% of my friends, and have set up my newsfeed so that i only see relevant information (Music updates, certain niche news, and other personal interests)

It can be used as a tool if you can see past the social aspect of it.

can't stand social media, only have it for work but find myself pointlessly on it sometimes

i guesss right now counts too lol

New Post:
Men’s Style Guide: For Guys Who Want to Get Laid

You aren't getting laid because you still believe in "game".

Here's how I went from being a 21-year-old, videogame-addicted, Asian virgin to banging too many girls to count (no PUA bs):

https://whiteknightrises.com/start-here

BTC: 1A5WUGDNGnsxGJ62CXadV6T2oapKfFu4T3
ETH: 0x9019d135dD1FFA06f0CC53C5942cBce806a943dd

(If I miss your reply PM me)

Use Facebook as a personal promotion platform and not as a social outlet.