rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

drinking is a big past time in London, UK

One thing is for sure, in central London alcohol is a very popular way to socialize. If you don't drink, your social options are more limited.

Max Keiser says the reason the English don't care what's being done to their country is because we're all inebriated. (He might be coke'd up but that's another story).
He has a point though. When it comes to politics, apathy is a popular choice. And when you walk around, it's easy to find bars/ pubs crammed with people drinking.
It is an expensive pastime though. Drinking out daily is only OK for those with plenty of disposable income.

London is still a fantastic city to live in. You don't need a car to get around. In the right areas, there's no shortage of things to do, often within walking distance of your home. And walking is a done thing. Public transport connections are excellent. The buzz of different types of people is great. The tourists and transient residents tend to be the least scummy of any place I've been to.

The current government is eroding society. Homelessness and poverty are rising, and so is the strain on the healthcare system, housing system, in fact most systems, as they take more money out and give free reign to the bankers, while pumping the property bubble.

The parks and green spaces, the river walk, the pedestrian streets, the markets, the old buildings. These are some of the things that make London great. And they don't fade. At least not much.

What are your favorite things about London? What are your stories, analysis etc.

I tell you what my least favourite thing about London is...the ease with which a few beers at the pub can hit £100 in a few hours.

My second least favourite things are people who say stuff like this:

"The current government is eroding society. Homelessness and poverty are rising, and so is the strain on the healthcare system, housing system, in fact most systems, as they take more money out and give free reign to the bankers, while pumping the property bubble."

Which is mostly nonsense.

It's a shame it came to this on the first reply to my thread. I thought this forum had a high standard of members.

Quote:Quote:

My second least favourite things are people who say stuff like this:

"The current government is eroding society. Homelessness and poverty are rising, and so is the strain on the healthcare system, housing system, in fact most systems, as they take more money out and give free reign to the bankers, while pumping the property bubble."

Which is mostly nonsense.

Tell me about it. If I had a pound for every single time I've had to listen to some idiot drone on and on about this crap, regurgitating what they heard or read on Facebook over and over I'd never have to spent money on drinks again.

Particularly at my 18-23 age range. Many if not most being students or recent graduates. The victim mentality is just ridiculous. They will blame anything but their own ineptitude for why things aren't going their way.

They will paint it as the system is in place to stop them going anywhere or doing anything which is complete bullshit. It's just nobody is willing to get up and go out and create, hustle and adapt.

Quote: (06-09-2015 05:08 PM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  

I tell you what my least favourite thing about London is...the ease with which a few beers at the pub can hit £100 in a few hours.
This is my biggest issue with gaming in clubs in London.
Door fees are extortion: "Oh, you'd like me to pay for the opportunity of giving business to your establishment? Fuck you."
I can't remember the name of the place but it was somewhere near Leicester Square - a G&T on the rocks was about £7.

London is a city-state in most practical senses. And by far the most likely contender for "Capital of the World". New York's problem is that it is in a country that is a current, rather than historical, empire.

One thing to consider in the "cultural collapse" argument is that almost all of the non-poor non-British living in London are a net economic positive to the city, nation and indigenous people of the UK(and, at least historically, I am among these indigene's). The poor are a different story. The solution for them is simply to deny any welfare transfers from the state to all non-Brits for at least 5 years after LEGAL residence is established. No transfers at all for illegal residents. If charitable organisations feel this is unfair they should raise (non-government) money themselves and offer their own assistance.

I lived in London for many years so know all about its downsides. Most of these are ameliorated by money, but apart from housing it is not the worst place to stay if you are stuck in the middle. London gets a lot of hate on this board, but it is not for no reason that so many want to move there. If you have a decent income and/or somehow can just sort out your living arrangements it's one of the best cities in the world to live in. To be honest especially as a non-Brit. Google "Non-domicile UK residents taxation". Non-residents can cap their UK tax at about £50,000 I think.

Born and bred Londoner checking in.

London CAN be expensive. London rent price and housing IS expensive. As for everything else, there are free things to do, there are cheaper alternatives to flash nightclubs and bars. Its about knowing where to go and being open minded. I love London most for the food here, and I am not talking about fish and chips, but the great array of international cuisine including Thai, Indian, Chinese, Italian, American style Burger joints, Turkish, French, and everything else.

Drinking is expensive. Personally, I don't drink much anymore but hell, I used to waste a ton on drinking in London. Its the taxis, junk food after, and expensive club/bar prices that get you as well.

My least favorite thing about London is how 99% of girls are fat and ugly, even in the daytime in central areas. After the ugly chicks comes the expensive prices. Otherwise the city is great. The architecture and history is fantastic. It's one of those cities that you should go to with your family or girlfriend. Awful for single men.

People don't drink that much in London because it's too expensive. Alcohol consumption is lower in London than any other region in the UK. A night out is easily 100GBP : 30GBP club charge, 10GBP taxis, 50GBP few pints, few spirits, 10GBP food.

^^^

Everyone I know in London is half cut 90% of the time they aren't at work!

English people drink huge amounts. Its not the binge drinking at weekends that shocked me (that's common across the Anglosphere - I've lived in Ireland/Australia/the U.S. where its also the norm), its the after work drinking midweek. I worked in a professional white collar office in London and yet most people I knew in their 20s would go out for pints every Thursday, some Wednesdays, and the odd Monday/Tuesday. I always felt like I was missing out a bit by being in the gym instead after work 4 days a week....but good god they were all in awful physical shape. 2 days a week of drinking at the weekend is enough, in my opinion.

People in their 20s in London drink almost as much as anywhere else in the UK, I'd say. They just tend to do it more at house parties, or pop-up events, rather than in the pricey pubs/clubs. The price of booze in pubs/clubs is less of an issue up North so there isnt as much need to avoid them.

Only tourists and low lives go into the central London nightclubs. Unless you are talking about the privately managed ones, which require pre booking and extortionate entry prices. London is an impressive city if you are interested in sociology experiments. You have different layers and worlds essentially of people, sometimes literally living on top of each other. You can have a banker living in Brixton and down the road there will be some teenager drug dealer from a dodgy council estate. Places like Evelyn Road/ Jamaica Road in South London are now fetching expensive property prices and becoming gentrified. Ten years ago they were no go areas, because of battles between Brixton and Peckham gangs.

I wouldn't move back to London but there are some jobs which even on the international scale, can only be obtained in London. So there you go.

Great city - and a fantastic place for drinking!

Only NYC has a comparable "buzz" in my opinion.

Few things are more enjoyable than a good session on the beer with great company.

It's no more expensive than NYC, SF or Paris.

I don't think drinks in London are much more expensive than they are here in Chicago even, once you factor in tips.

Don't the pubs close at like 11pm? I thought I saw that on Anthony Bourdain's show?

There was a big article about the downfall of the pups. One say its because immigrants (muslims) turn over neighbourhoods and don't drink. But in general it was like this, going to a pup just make you poor.

The Pub is truely the centre of the universe for most Brits and it's incredible that they will drop 60GBP (let's 3 pints a night at 4GBP a pop) on not getting drunk but getting fat and mainly hanging around with other fat guys talking shit.

Working in Birmingham I amazed to find pubs packed every single night after 5. In Australia, most people won't go anywhere near a pub from Sunday night to Friday night. Some young guns might go out on a Wednesday or Thursday but only in the cities. Australians earning the middle spectrum of wage generally have a lot more disposable cash than their British counterparts as well. Where on earth do they get the cash from?

I gotta say though, I really loved Yorkshire. It was brilliant being able to find places that do 2GBP pints.