rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Living in S. Korea

Living in S. Korea

So I see lots of you have been to S Korea, and wanted to know how you felt about it for, say, a year's stay.

I'm an English teacher, so I pretty much hop around the world a year at a time, and Korea is a great place to make bank compared to Latin America.

I just worry that I wouldn't dig living there. Girls are a factor, but you can find hot chicks anywhere. What would you guys think of living there for a year or so?

Living in S. Korea

Dude I was in the same boat as you!

I had the same concerns as you. but after closer review they have been eased considerably. (girls/nightlife/fun factor)

I'll be heading to SoKo within the nxt month or two, but this is what I have gathered from endless hours surfing DavesCafe...

In the big cities there is THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of native English speakers. On top of that in cities with 2-6 million people there will be hot korean chicks. No way around that imo.

From chatting with people living in S.Korea there is fun shit to do every night (Seoul, Busan)! Sorta of like one big college town with all the English ppl partying everynight along with Koreans.

I decided to look for jobs in Busan. It has a pop of 4 mil. Huge city on the beach with the mountains in the back drop! Check it out! Get this, they even have a latin scene with dancing/music every week!

Here is a vid I posted on the city in another thread not sure if you seen it yet.

Hopefully I will be getting my FBI background check back in the nxt 2 weeks. Then I can seriously start looking and interviewing for jobs. I plan to be on a plane in 1.5 months heading over there.

If you even think you might wanna come here id suggest sending off ur application for the FBI check asap as it takes a while to get back.

For me the projected positives far outweighed the negatives.

Negatives:

No spanish chicks
Dont know Korean language

Positives:

Good money (easily save 1k a month)
Vibrant Active nightlife
Tons of girls from Uk, USA, Australia, New Zealand, ect.
Proximity and ease to SE Asia, China, and Japan.
Awesome beach, outdoor activities ect (Busan)
Collect some Asian flags

Come on down bro! Could use a wingman!

Living in S. Korea

for places like China or Korea it's impossible to know if you will like it unless you go. However you need lots of patience, and you better be interested in the culture, and i mean really interested as in how do these people think and behave not I like Tae Kwon Do and Kimchi so it'll all be good. ASIA is a whole new ballgame. You need a doctor, he won't speak english, order food, they won't speak english, taxi driver no english, whatever store ur buying crap in they don't speak english. It's all good i'll memorize a phrase or two before i do something, great they probably won't understand ur pronunciation. This ain't latin america where you can add an -o an -a at the end of the word and be right half the time. Looking for store? hope you can read Korean charcters? Not saying don't go, I'm saying there is another side of the you can party with thousands of english speakers and bank korean skanks coin.

Living in S. Korea

Yeah but learning the language isn't impossible and it's just Asia, not somewhere in outer space he's talking about visiting.

Living in S. Korea

i've never heard anyone say korean beaches are awesome. ever, well i guess until now.

Living in S. Korea

I am interested in this too, I wish the best of luck to Dash, but my opinion is until you've actually lived in a place, there is no way to know for sure what it's really like, how much you will like it, etc. Not to knock Dash, but I think this maybe a little bit overly optomistic thinking: "From chatting with people living in S.Korea there is fun shit to do every night (Seoul, Busan)! Sorta of like one big college town with all the English ppl partying everynight along with Koreans."

Personally, from my experience with Koreans that I know here in the U.S. as well as the ones' I've met abroad, they seem to be particularly cold, stand offish, conservative, and uptight. This has already been hotly contested here, with both prospectives added, I'm just dropping my 2 cents, but I haven't spent hours searching forums/communities on this stuff online, nor have I spent one second in SoKo.

At this point if I were to teach English abroad, I would either go Japan or SoKo, as has been mentioned, SoKo gives a person the opportunity to live comfortably and still save $5,000-15,000 USD net at the end of the year, which isn't amazing, but a lot better than in Japan, which is so expensive that a person would probably end up spending that much out of their own pocket by the end of the year to have a really good time. I am by no means wealthy, but have been fortunate to save up some $$, so I could feasibly afford to go to Japan and wouldn't necessarily need to go to SoKo to save money. Basically everyone I have talked to that has been to Japan absolutely loved it, and has verified that there is a dope party scene with hot girls that like white/black American guys and are DTF. The verdict is still out on SoKo.

Living in S. Korea

Quote: (05-30-2011 12:05 PM)redneckpunk Wrote:  

i've never heard anyone say korean beaches are awesome. ever, well i guess until now.

Growing up around the beaches in NC and SC in comparison the beaches in Busan and Jeju islands are awesome. Not tropical post cards awesome, but nice as far as it being in a city of 4 mil.

@ OgNor

I dont know for sure, and dont claim as much. I know where Sonoswey is coming from with the concerns about teaching English in Asia. As a fellow ESL'r its nice to hear other peoples opinion that are in the same boat. Go to DavesCafe and ask the ppl living in Seoul and Busan. I GUARANTEE you everyone of them will tell you there is partying going on almost everynight of the week! So I dont think it is as optimistic as you believe. Japan would be nice if it wasnt soo damn expensive! No worries though, i will be personally putting the verdict on SoKo to a rest VERY shortly! [Image: smile.gif]

Living in S. Korea

Quote: (05-30-2011 12:02 PM)Gringo Wrote:  

Yeah but learning the language isn't impossible and it's just Asia, not somewhere in outer space he's talking about visiting.

from someone who lived 5 years in China and meeting dozens of peeps roll in with fantasies of banging skanks and living the good life only to turn tail and run after a few months, i'll stand by my statements. Living and working there is quite different than 7 days in Thailand aka asia with training wheels.

Living in S. Korea

[Image: South-Korea-beaches-01.jpg]

the awesome beaches of Busan....enjoy fellas

Living in S. Korea

Quote: (05-30-2011 12:52 PM)redneckpunk Wrote:  

[Image: South-Korea-beaches-01.jpg]

the awesome beaches of Busan....enjoy fellas

@Rednec

LOL at only posting one picture of only ONE of the beaches at PEAK time of the year.

You are conveniently missing

Songjeong Beach
[Image: 7_1.jpg&sa=X&ei=TtrjTePeKM3TgAekqbzKBg&v...Mc8kuhU92Q]

Gwangan Beach
[Image: 8221679.jpg&sa=X&ei=q9rjTbfvKsbZgAfTqKTC...m8D5uihtWw]

And last but not least Haeundae Beach (Not at peak season)
[Image: 2398854506_0aacd3b81c.jpg&sa=X&ei=k9vjTa...ND50tkkcoA]

Living in S. Korea

I guess you failed to notice that the people are wearing jackets...that means it's winter.

They are partying balls, sign me up!!!

just trying to keep you grounded buddy, you got too much twinkle in you eye

Living in S. Korea

Quote: (05-30-2011 01:09 PM)redneckpunk Wrote:  

I guess you failed to notice that the people are wearing jackets...that means it's winter.

They are partying balls, sign me up!!!

just trying to keep you grounded buddy, you got too much twinkle in you eye

I must have missed the memo that u can only enjoy the beaches in the peak of summer travel. Also must have missed the fact that just chillin on the beach with some friends, music, and beers in the fall or spring is not optional or enjoyable. My bad!

Also are ppl not allowed to venture down the coast to more secluded beaches right outside Busan? [Image: wink.gif]

Living in S. Korea

[Image: 081010pod02.jpg]

enjoy ur keg party. Which one are you?

Living in S. Korea

I think I would prefer Haeundae Beach. Not sure where the hell this photo was taken. Maybe close to the N.Korean border?

I also prefer hot young american, british, and korean females. Not some old locals. Is this the type of people you hanged out with in Korea? Or did you hangout with anyone at all? Might would explain your negative vibe on South Korea.....

Anyway. We all are different. What some like, others will not. I take it an intelligent person can determine these things for themselves....

Living in S. Korea

Quote: (05-30-2011 01:25 PM)redneckpunk Wrote:  

[Image: 081010pod02.jpg]

enjoy ur keg party. Which one are you?

LOL. Now that's just funny! [Image: icon_lol.gif]

Living in S. Korea

Quote: (05-30-2011 11:25 AM)Dash Global Wrote:  

Dude I was in the same boat as you!

I had the same concerns as you. but after closer review they have been eased considerably. (girls/nightlife/fun factor)

I'll be heading to SoKo within the nxt month or two, but this is what I have gathered from endless hours surfing DavesCafe...

In the big cities there is THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of native English speakers. On top of that in cities with 2-6 million people there will be hot korean chicks. No way around that imo.

From chatting with people living in S.Korea there is fun shit to do every night (Seoul, Busan)! Sorta of like one big college town with all the English ppl partying everynight along with Koreans.

I decided to look for jobs in Busan. It has a pop of 4 mil. Huge city on the beach with the mountains in the back drop! Check it out! Get this, they even have a latin scene with dancing/music every week!

Here is a vid I posted on the city in another thread not sure if you seen it yet.

Hopefully I will be getting my FBI background check back in the nxt 2 weeks. Then I can seriously start looking and interviewing for jobs. I plan to be on a plane in 1.5 months heading over there.

If you even think you might wanna come here id suggest sending off ur application for the FBI check asap as it takes a while to get back.

For me the projected positives far outweighed the negatives.

Negatives:

No spanish chicks
Dont know Korean language

Positives:

Good money (easily save 1k a month)
Vibrant Active nightlife
Tons of girls from Uk, USA, Australia, New Zealand, ect.
Proximity and ease to SE Asia, China, and Japan.
Awesome beach, outdoor activities ect (Busan)
Collect some Asian flags

Come on down bro! Could use a wingman!

I'd have to agree with redneckpunk and state that you may wish to be a bit more cautious. Because although it may look very similar to a nice western country, it is very, very different.

Secondly, even if there are thousands of English speakers, that will pale next to the millions of Koreans who still make up about 98% of the population.

However, on the other hand much of what you stated is true; you will have lots of free time and you will likely be out partying every night.

Finally, if you really want to be partying (and swooping) , you may prefer to be in Seoul.