rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Moving to and making bank in LA

So I've been traveling the country in an RV trying to figure out where to set up shop in the future, after living a sheltered and insular existence in a shitty Midwestern state. After a ton of analysis, I've decided I'm moving to LA. Honorable mention goes to Scottsdale, AZ. I would have picked NYC but I have no desire to experience any more winters for the rest of my life. However, I also discovered to my surprise that oppressive heat can suck too, so LA's year-round perfect weather is appealing. SF was another close one, but the weird ass weather turned me off. Denver gets a lot of hate on here but I love slightly hippie white girls and they love me. I definitely enjoy the most success with women in Colorado, but again...winters.

Pretty much the only negative commentary LA gets on this board is it's bad for logistics and the clubs are a sausagefest. Well, I hate nightlife and I don't drink anymore. I prefer day game for this and many other reasons. It seems like this would be very easy in LA since due to the constant great weather, people are probably outside a lot (correct me if I'm wrong).

To get a feel for the place and not commit too early, I'll be living in my RV for the first couple months or maybe even a year or more since it's LEGAL on the streets of LA now. I got nothing but positive vibes from people out there about this. The west coast in general seems to have a much more open minded mentality...people out there thought it was "romantic" whereas people back east think I'm insane.

A couple things I would like to do out there that do not relate to financial success:

Learn fluent Spanish, learn to play a certain instrument I've been neglecting, start training MMA again (LA seems to be the BEST place in the world for this, with a ton of famous gyms around). I think MMA will also serve as a good way to build an initial social circle of guys who do not suck. I would even be willing to go pro at this and use it as a moneymaker, but I'll have to see since it does look like a very tough lifestyle.

Now, I will need to step up my financial game for LA. I could take my location independent income (I have 30+ Cheap rental properties, an amazon import export business, and some residual online affiliate marketing income) and ball in some 3rd world country right now. However, I miss my family and haven't seen them much for five years since they moved cross country to near LA and I also have a pet that I think would really complicate any moves to a foreign country at this time. I love animals and am not willing to re-home the pet. I am also definitely in the upper half of men here and while I see the problems with American women all of you guys talk about, I do not experience them as badly as some. The problems have noticeably melted away since getting in shape, getting more time freedom, and gaining confidence from succeeding in business. If I continue on this route it will get better, I am sure.

I am trying to think of ways to make money in LA. I don't like jobs very much since I lose control over my time, but a "lifestyle" job wouldn't be bad. Maybe something cool in the entertainment industry? I know absolutely nothing about this industry.

Being a bartender would provide some time flexibility and enough excess income to be more stable, but after years of shit jobs I just don't know if I want to do that.

I have a BS and MS in financial subjects from top 15 American business schools so I could probably leverage that into a job. I thought about commercial real estate for CBRE or someone, but I would prefer a salary instead of commission since a salary will enable me to continue building my rental empire with easy financing. For more of a wall street type job, I am unwilling to be an investment banker and throw away my life and health for money at 100 hours a week. I've looked into trading and it seems like that culture may be a better fit. However being in the west coast and working market hours wouldn't that be something like a 5am-5pm job? I do not want to work at a retail bank and feel like a mcdonalds employee again, nor do I want to be a shady commission based financial advisor swindling people's grandparents.

I was soured a bit on the financial industry after my first couple post college jobs, so I've thought about changing industries to tech. I could do a $10k coding bootcamp (one in particular is based in LA and I know I would be accepted) or possibly just self teach myself. I assume I would start out at 80k or so a year at least, so the 10k would be worth it. I would be a web developer so this would be easy to transition into 100% remote work or contract work down the line unlike anything in finance.

The other option is to start my own business in LA, brick and mortar style, but I am leaning far away from this. I can create online businesses in my sleep and I prefer these, but my capital is severely limited right now while I add more products to my amazon business. It would really help to have money coming in from somewhere that isn't dependent on my capital, but on my time (a job). In a couple years I would be rich as fuck, and I wouldn't feel like I missed out on anything by living in America since for a country kid like me, LA is very appealing.

For anyone who read this whole thing and has any thoughts, I would be very grateful to hear them. Thanks.

Ahhh man I thought this was the long awaited datasheet on being the biggest of the ballers.

I never claimed to be a baller, and upon doing a search on here other people have made datasheets on online income that are much better than I could have done...I actually learned some things.

You're going to hate LA but it seems your mind is made up. Good luck.

Thanks Fisto. If you have a moment, I'm wondering why you're not hot on LA and what cities you've had better experiences in

It sounds like you have some know-how about real estate and rental properties.
Why not put your energy into that... turning 30 properties into 50 and so on...
Treat it as a job, not a hobby.
Unfortunately this will probably not happen in LA.

I can live in LA and keep buying properties back home, that's the plan.

I need stupid w2 income to acquire more quickly, ideally. There are other ways but they're much iffier and if I'm going to be living somewhere static I might as well trade a little time for money.

Be an uber driver and only work Thursday until Saturday nights during surge pricing since you don't go out at night. You'll also gain a sense for the city and what every neighborhood is like.

I know a lot of RVs park in Venice. So much so residents complain. It's a good setup. Weekends try to go to dockweiler beach they have an RV lot and it's an easy bike ride to Manhattan and Hermosa Beach

I just moved out of the shithole that is LA

The logistics for going fucking anywhere is a joke. It takes 45+ minutes to go 10 miles for most of the day.

Try the OC if you want the weather and not the shitty fucking traffic.

Off topic, Ive had excellent experiences with Krav Mega in LA.

Also, rent blows for what you get

Drazen, thanks. That is some great info. That's cool there is a community of other RV people in Venice Beach. Boondocking is legal in LA as of last summer, so the residents can complain but it doesn't matter.

Lochte, I have a logistics advantage since my car is my house, haha. Rent is also a non issue as I live for free in the RV.

I'm about to start the drive out there, which will take all week, and I'm pretty excited about this decision.

Can anyone point me to any good blogs or resources about the entertainment or tech industries in LA? I don't think I want to work in finance again and those two seem to be the major players out there anyway.

Honestly dude this is one of the strangest posts I've ever read. You're all over the place. One moment you're talking about being a pro MMA fighter for income despite never having done MMA. Do you have ANY idea what it takes to be able to make a living from fighting? The sheer level of abuse and punishment you will put your body through? I think you better get in fighting school for a few years first then decide if you have what it takes to go pro. And nobody goes into pro MMA for the great paycheck. Lol.

Beside that you thought about "possibly" working in the entertainment industry. Gee, never heard that one before. What are your qualifications exactly and how many industry insiders are you on first name basis with?

Then you're talking about real estate and Web designing and living on the sidewalk in an RV. You ask the forums thoughts. Well as someone who lived his whole life in LA and recently left my thought is if you have solid location independent income and could live anywhere in the world, why the hell would anyone pick LA? How much international travel have you done? For whatever reason, California tends to attract a lot of dreamers who don't fit in anywhere else so I guess I can see the appeal.

Not trying to come off harsh, it just sounds like you are kind of unfocused and scattered in this post. But good luck. Maybe it'll work out for you.

I would start cold applying to every place that exists before you even move out.

I know a lot of them are so corporate you get hired through New York, so that adds a ton of delay. I had my job in the bag and it took 2 months from being interviewed (and offered job) to starting work

Speakeasy, it's cool, I understand your position. I have actually trained MMA off and on my whole life and could probably do it professionally on some level with dedicated training, so it was just an idea. LA seems to have a great MMA scene.

International travel is still severely lacking but I have other stuff I want to focus on before I drop everything and do a RTW trip. It's on the list for sure though. If you were stuck in the states, where would you live then? LA doesn't seem like a bad option.

Entertainment industry - zero knowledge, zero qualifications. What I do have is all the time in the world, and (over?)confidence developed from being on a hot streak of accomplishments recently since taking the red pill plunge.

And yes I am absolutely unfocused and scattered. Pretty much any option that exists in the world is now open to me, which is a damn good problem to have, but still a bit of a problem.

Quote: (05-26-2015 10:47 AM)Killface Wrote:  

Speakeasy, it's cool, I understand your position. I have actually trained MMA off and on my whole life and could probably do it professionally on some level with dedicated training, so it was just an idea. LA seems to have a great MMA scene.

Okay, the way you worded some things made me think you've had no MMA training. Yeah, LA has an awesome martial arts scene. So if that's a priority, LA is hard to beat. You have some great schools in nearly every discipline. I did Krav Maga at one of the official training centers for years. It's also home to a Gracie academy. I had friends training in Kung Fu, boxing, wrestling, MMA. It's all out there.

Quote:Quote:

International travel is still severely lacking but I have other stuff I want to focus on before I drop everything and do a RTW trip. It's on the list for sure though. If you were stuck in the states, where would you live then? LA doesn't seem like a bad option.

That's what I figured. Don't get me wrong, LA is cool, but once you've been around the block you realize it's a second-tier place by international standards. But as far as the US goes, if you're looking for social freedom, great climate, cultural diversity and ease of access to outdoor adventure there's no better spot to be.

Nailed it, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll make this work. Thanks

Say no to Uber.
If you're already doing RE at the investor level, move from small sfh/mfh to bigger mfh's. Finding the deals and finding equity partners are about the same level in difficulty. If you're not opposed to using hard money, then it's just a question of deals. And I wouldn't learn to code just to be able to qualify for a consumer home loan. That's overly complicated.

I'd concentrate on doing one thing if gobs of moolah is what you're after.

WIA

Ah yeah I can't do über since I don't meet their vehicle requirements. A good suggestion though. By chance does anyone have experience with 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu? It would be awesome to be trained by Eddie Bravo himself but I kind of worry about how much it differs from traditional bjj.

WIA I think you are right that it's a convoluted path to learn to code to generate a w2 income to buy more property, there is probably a simpler way compatible with my existing skills.

"I was soured a bit on the financial industry after my first couple post college jobs, so I've thought about changing industries to tech. I could do a $10k coding bootcamp (one in particular is based in LA and I know I would be accepted) or possibly just self teach myself. I assume I would start out at 80k or so a year at least, so the 10k would be worth it. I would be a web developer so this would be easy to transition into 100% remote work or contract work down the line unlike anything in finance."

Because coding is that easy...
Web developer? are you in India getting paid $3 an hour?? cause that's the only web developer jobs I know of that are hiring.

There are thousands of coders in the world. It can't be that difficult to learn. I don't know what you are talking about with the India thing...my web dev guy for my businesses is based in the states...the India guys typically are shit quality. I have plenty of friends who are web devs for large US companies and have yet to hear of someone not getting a job immediately after a coding bootcamp. This is all anecdotal but I've thought it out

Can you swing by and pick me up on your way out?

Per Ardua Ad Astra | "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum"

Cobra and I did some awesome podcasts with awesome fellow members.

Off topic but this forum seems to attract a lot of negative, defeatist mindsets. I'm guessing it's due to spurned betas finding it through ROK articles or something. Cheer the fuck up and shift to an abundance mentality...you are in the right place...a search on this forum will lead you to the resources you need to accomplish almost any goal.

Anyway I'll let this thread die, I have some good answers, anyone with experience at 10th Planet though please PM me. Thanks

Helterskelter, you serious? Haha. If so PM me

Quote: (05-26-2015 06:23 PM)Killface Wrote:  

Off topic but this forum seems to attract a lot of negative, defeatist mindsets. I'm guessing it's due to spurned betas finding it through ROK articles or something. Cheer the fuck up and shift to an abundance mentality...you are in the right place...a search on this forum will lead you to the resources you need to accomplish almost any goal.

Anyway I'll let this thread die, I have some good answers, anyone with experience at 10th Planet though please PM me. Thanks

I took your first post at face value, but in response to your comment about the negative mindsets, it's because aspects of your initial post sniff of what's known around here as a "Big Baller Troll", as speakeasy laid out in an earlier post above.
Anyway, good luck, and enjoy LA.