rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Belts during squats

Belts during squats

Hey everyone,

When is it a good time to start using a belt for squats? 200,300,400lbs? I'm going for a 300 lbs squat, but I feel even at 230-250 I don't really need it. Everything feels stable.

Belts during squats

A warning: Make sure you practice with proper belt use at lower weight if you start using a belt. Having it too tight or using a belt too large can crack ribs or cause other injuries.

That said, I've done raw squats up to 325 without rounding my back. If I start stalling again, I'll think about adding a belt, but it will take relearning form at a lower weight.

I've seen people with perfect raw form totally start rounding out with a belt on large lifts, even people like Scott Herman:

Not squats, but he does raw deads up to 405 with good form. Then, he puts a belt on and all that goes out the window. He even says he feels loose, but jerks the weight up anyway. If I wanted a back injury, I'd lift like that.

Belts during squats

Whenever you decide. On primary lift days, I do work sets above 400lbs. I start belting during warmups, around 225#. Helps warm the 4" leather belt up, which allows me to tighten as I get close to top sets.

And yes, you can break your ribs with a belt, in some instances. I fractured my lower ribs using a safety squat bar with a 4" belt. I use a 3" belt for SSB now. Barring dimensional peculiarities, it's pretty uncommon to suffer rib fractures WRT to LBBS/HBBS, unless you're rounding your shoulders/torso way to far forward.

As you near maximal-effort work sets, it's not uncommon for some rounding to occur in the thoracic spine. Lumbar extension should always be maintained WRT to LBBS; ATG HBBS can produce some rounding, which is usually a mobility/anthropometry issue.

Belts during squats

The other thing to consider is what happened to me two weeks ago.

I forgot to grab my belt out of the car, did super heavy squats and gave myself a minor hernia.

Belts during squats

Quote: (04-17-2015 01:54 AM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  

I forgot to grab my belt out of the car, did super heavy squats and gave myself a minor hernia.

Did you suffer a hernia, or a herniated disc?

What is "super heavy"?

High bar or low bar?

Did you valsalva during the lift?

Belts during squats

Quote: (04-17-2015 01:58 AM)PHC19 Wrote:  

What is "super heavy"?

High bar or low bar?

Definitely a hernia; only a small one, through the stomach/belly button area.

Heavy is a 1RM.

Really dumb.

Belts during squats

Quote: (04-17-2015 02:03 AM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  

What is "super heavy"?

High bar or low bar?

Heavy is a 1RM.

Really dumb.

Dang. Here's to a healthy recovery.

Belts during squats

Quote: (04-17-2015 02:12 AM)PHC19 Wrote:  

What is "super heavy"?

High bar or low bar?

Heavy is a 1RM.

Really dumb.

Dang. Here's to a healthy recovery.

Thankyou.

[Image: smile.gif]

Belts during squats

What is "super heavy"?

High bar or low bar?

Heavy is a 1RM.

Really dumb.

Hey crash, what was the weight you were doing? I don't really do 1Rm.

Belts during squats

Quote: (04-17-2015 10:44 AM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

What is "super heavy"?

High bar or low bar?

Heavy is a 1RM.

Really dumb.

I don't either; that's what's so incredibly stupid and frustrating about the whole thing. I just started pyramid-ing up the weight, dropping the reps, and felt really, really good and strong.

I just thought "let's see what I can get upto today".

Then it happened [Image: blush.gif]

260kg, 2.5BW.

Belts during squats

Quote: (04-17-2015 11:04 AM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  

What is "super heavy"?

High bar or low bar?

Heavy is a 1RM.

Really dumb.

I don't either; that's what's so incredibly stupid and frustrating about the whole thing. I just started pyramid-ing up the weight, dropping the reps, and felt really, really good and strong.

260kg, 2.5BW.

[Image: clap.gif]

And I thought I was cool doing 250 lbs. Here's to a speedy recovery.

Belts during squats

Quote: (04-17-2015 11:07 AM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

What is "super heavy"?

High bar or low bar?

Heavy is a 1RM.

Really dumb.

260kg, 2.5BW.

Thankyou. Means a lot.

I honestly think I'm done with strength training. The injuries are just starting to pile up at my age (33) with the recoveries longer and longer.

I've always been interested in pure bodybuilding but never given it a go due to a strength obsession. Think it's time to explore that option now.

I'm fucking off to Thailand for three weeks to recover sitting on a beach. Then the transformation will begin [Image: smile.gif]

Belts during squats

Quote: (04-17-2015 11:15 AM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  

Heavy is a 1RM.

Really dumb.

260kg, 2.5BW.

Thankyou. Means a lot.

I honestly think I'm done with strength training. The injuries are just starting to pile up at my age (33) with the recoveries longer and longer.

I've always been interested in pure bodybuilding but never given it a go due to a strength obsession. Think it's time to explore that option now.

I'm fucking off to Thailand for three weeks to recover sitting on a beach. Then the transformation will begin [Image: smile.gif]

At 500 lbs why not? you can already lift way more than most of the population. Take a 100 lbs hit and get cut. You'll definitely look like a beast.

Belts during squats

Quote: (04-17-2015 03:22 PM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

Quote: (04-17-2015 11:15 AM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  

260kg, 2.5BW.

Thankyou. Means a lot.

At 500 lbs why not? you can already lift way more than most of the population. Take a 100 lbs hit and get cut. You'll definitely look like a beast.

572# - that's a very respectable squat.

Enjoy Thailand - Tell Tim Sharky Hello ;-)

Belts during squats

I'd say, at 5 rep work sets of about 1.25xBW and higher.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Belts during squats

Ouch Crash, unlucky. Good to see the Thailand recovery is in place.

As for wearing a belt in the squat, it depends.

If you actually know your 1RM, then wear a belt from about 75~80% and up, belt-less at lower weights, as a general rule of thumb.

If you need to learn how to use a belt, wear it at whatever weight you want.

If you want to activate your core more, wear a belt. Yes that's true, it gives your core something to brace against.

If you have a small waist (lighter weight lifters) and you do a low bar squat, wear a belt always, because without it, you go through the floor since you have no belly and big thighs to bounce against. The groove for belt-less squats would be too different to the one with a belt, and that might throw you off when you lift the heavier weights later with a belt.

If you're doing a more upright type of squat, e.g front squat or high bar squat, the belt is optional, it doesn't really do much.

Belts during squats

I can't comment about using a belt because I never have used a proper weightlifting belt yet, but I can at least provide insight to life without it.

It really helps you find and brace your midsection. I am happy to have gotten as far as I have (1.7 bw atg) beltless. Sometimes i see people who use it too much like a crutch, and never get proper form... I see tons of peoples backs saved by the belt whose form should be totally fucking them up
I personally don't do any "ab" or midsection excersises at all I just use my beltless heavy compounds. I think it's harder and I'm always for maximum work and training efficiency.

That being said I'm considering a belt soon to break past my plateaus I always encounter. Allow myself a little extra help to overload and make new gains. Getting a little stagnant especially in the deadlift.

PS first post.

Belts during squats

I don't use the belt to help with back. I use the belt to keep core restricted. Specifically the valsalva manuever. Wothout the belt helping i feel like i want to breath in between reps.

Imo, A pair of good weight lifting shoes with little to no heel flexion is a lot better bang for your buck when it comes to squats.