rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Foreign born US citizen re-acquiring birth country citizenship

Hey everyone,

I have a question. Is it possible for say a person who was:
1. Born in a foreign country (say Cyprus).
2. Moved back to the US at a very young age.
3. Using original birth certificate for a claim of citizenship.

To then use the Schengen agreement to move freely within the EU and work in other european countries?

I've been researching different things and it seems entirely possible given if there is an original Cypriot birth certificate. I get the impression this won't be as easy as I think it might be along with a handful of gotchas.

You need to research Cypriot nationality law.

Not all countries have birthright citizenship, a lot of places it depends on who your parents are.

Quote: (04-08-2015 03:45 PM)Sp5 Wrote:  

Not all countries have birthright citizenship, a lot of places it depends on who your parents are.

This is a really interesting article about choosing where your kids are born, to give them multiple citizenships:
A Destination Birth?

I am an American. So if I have a child in Canada, the child will be both an American and Canadian citizen. If the mother is from a country that allows her child born abroad to be a citizen (for example, Mexico), the child will have three passports.

Since Cyprus isn't colored on that map, your next bet is to check if Cyprus grants citizenship to the children of citizens. I was born in the US, but I'm entitled to citizenship in another country in the Americas because one of my parents was born there. They even treat me like a citizen at customs and immigration despite the fact that I carry an American passport.

I've got the dick so I make the rules.
-Project Pat

Cyprus adheres to jus sanguinis. It doesn't matter where you are born; you parents' citizenship is the only thing they care about. If you are born to Cypriots in a Bhutanese you are a Cypriot by right of blood. However, if you are born to foreigners within Cyprus you will be a foreigner in your country-of-birth unless your parents happen to be from another Commonwealth country (to my knowledge, EU citizens have freedom of movement but are still considered aliens) in which case you won't be an alien but you won't be Cypriot either.

http://www.legislationline.org/documents...up/id/5818

Oh yes, I'm so privileged you literally can't even.
Interested in joining the FFL? I tried (and failed).

Countries have laws on not just how citizenshipis obtained, but how it is lost. It's possible that you might have lost your Cipriot citizenship when you became naturalized in the US. Best bet, check Cypriotconsulate/embassy websites (not just US but also major world cities: London, Toronto etc.) then call and ask questions.