rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Is "Bro" Just a Term Used to Hate on Guys Being Guys?

Maybe I'm unclear of how it's correctly applied, given that it became a common term (insult) after I'd moved to Asia, but it seems like it's just used for "conventional" guys who act like guys have always acted, are into what might be considered traditional guy shit (hunting, sports, extreme sports, partying), and somewhat lacking in class. They are presented as your modern day buffoon but I think we've all seen this type of guy do very well with women too.

You'll notice the source of this term is often hipsters, homosexuals, or feminists. Not to race troll, but it seems especially reserved for white guys, and I think if you asked anybody to dscribe a bro off the top of their head it would be a white guy, so there's definitely a race element to it.

I get the sense its a male shaming thing. Maybe we should start a "this is what a bro looks like" social media photo campaign. haha

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

I think that its one of those terms that the men who are labeled as such (which could include myself) should just go ahead and embrace and run with it, eventually it won't have the same negative connotations and those hipster faggots will have to come up with a new term to use, fuck ya bro!

This has been going on for a while, as mentioned used with a fratty white dude connotation. I think they say it to mock how fratty guys especially will call other guys bro all the time. I remember back in 2011 when dubstep blew up people started calling radio friendly dubstep like Skrillex "brostep" as a pejorative.

Whenever i meet a woman complaining about "bros" it's because she's a warpig that not even the drunkest, omega bro would fuck. I've almost never encountered a pretty girl who was complaining about bros.

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.

Bro is becoming a term that I have seen women use on men they want to fraternize with or they want to patronize. Feminists have started using the term to appeal to us men. I have even seen girls starting to use the term bro towards women as well, as they become more masculinized and feel so "cool" for being one of the boys.

Whenever I see a girl starting to use that term on me I correct her. It's completely bullshit now, since women use it to feel cool and it's become ridiculous.

SAVE THE BROS!

This is a pretty funny video, its basically making fun of bros but in a positive light as it portrays them as strong, healthy good looking guys who like to party and have a good time.

^ I admit. That was pretty funny, Bro.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Like many words of endearment, it depends entirely on who says it to whom.

If a cunt says it to your best friend, it's a diss.

If you say it to your best friend, it's not.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Quote: (03-14-2015 02:26 AM)scotian Wrote:  

SAVE THE BROS!

This is a pretty funny video, its basically making fun of bros but in a positive light as it portrays them as strong, healthy good looking guys who like to party and have a good time.

The real question of course is; would you pound the sh*t of the woman on 1:20?

I would.

Book - Around the World in 80 Girls - The Epic 3 Year Trip of a Backpacking Casanova

My new book Famles - Fables and Fairytales for Men is out now on Amazon.

Quote: (03-14-2015 02:26 AM)scotian Wrote:  

SAVE THE BROS!

Looks like they gave them soya milk in that video.

They're trying to do this to the "Lad" term in the UK. When I say they I mean the MSM and feminist & their male followers on university campus.

Lad culture is exactly like frat culture but different in certain ways. The basics are the same however. Ape the boyish nature of men in a atmosphere dominated by men, getting drunk, going on holidays and last but not least the slaying of wenches with tales told afterwards.

I'm 50/50 on it really. On one hand I enjoyed the company of a lot of these guys and the antics we got up to. Its easy as hell to get laid in these social circles and you have a lot of memories.

The other side is just too many fucking idiots infest the waters. One guy thought it was cool to humiliate a girl in a secret video of him being sucked off and then showed it to the other guys in a way to beg for 'Lad Points'.

What this did was make a large number of girls in the same sports team go and never hang out with the male team ever again for that year. We're talking 20+ girls here and it had a severe impact on the way the team interacted on socials and games.

The funny thing was is that they started to hang out with Rugby Union and they were worse than Lacrosse by a huge margin. So yeah, female logic.

I also don't like the massive drinking, humiliation and trend following this bro/Lad culture promotes. You don't become fulfilled with other endeavors and over time it can affect you.

Among my peers I don't hear bro being used in a derogatory way at all. Mainly it's being used between guys as a term of camaraderie. It's pretty much the same as saying dude or man except that it's also used to address guys who are solid. I.e. "He's a bro."

Don't hear girls my age using it at all.

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
Thomas Jefferson

Quote: (03-14-2015 01:46 AM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

Maybe I'm unclear of how it's correctly applied, given that it became a common term (insult) after I'd moved to Asia, but it seems like it's just used for "conventional" guys who act like guys have always acted, are into what might be considered traditional guy shit (hunting, sports, extreme sports, partying), and somewhat lacking in class. They are presented as your modern day buffoon but I think we've all seen this type of guy do very well with women too.

You'll notice the source of this term is often hipsters, homosexuals, or feminists. Not to race troll, but it seems especially reserved for white guys, and I think if you asked anybody to dscribe a bro off the top of their head it would be a white guy, so there's definitely a race element to it.

I get the sense its a male shaming thing. Maybe we should start a "this is what a bro looks like" social media photo campaign. haha

Absolutely. For instance, Brogrammer=male programmer who is not overtly nerdy, i.e. ordinary man who does technology. And yes, I think it's specifically directed at white guys. Would one of the hipster/feminists who use the word ever look at a group of black guys out to have a good time on a Friday night and say, "What a bunch of bros"? (Same with "frat boy"--would anyone call black member of a historically black fraternity a frat boy?)

Like all pergorative terms for whites, it's destined to fail by virtue of whites lacking the necessary insecurity to take offense to something ridiculous.

Bro ...don't bro me bro [Image: lol.gif]

I don't like the term. It's a term male aquaintences use to create an artificial sense of male bonding. It's fake.

Team Nachos

Quote: (03-14-2015 01:51 AM)scotian Wrote:  

I think that its one of those terms that the men who are labeled as such (which could include myself) should just go ahead and embrace and run with it, eventually it won't have the same negative connotations and those hipster faggots will have to come up with a new term to use, fuck ya bro!

Nice hipster burn bro
http://www.broslikethissite.com/2009/11/...s.html?m=1

Relevant:

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
Thomas Jefferson

Bro has become a gay term. ie. :

"Bromance"
"Brojob"

Brah is even worse. It sounds like annoying thing women use to protect their titties. Do not use either term.

^That video is hilarious.

I think 'bro' has three meanings in the US:

1. Frat boy, douchebag bro who is the male equivalent of your sorority sister cum-dumpster. He parties his early twenties off because he has good looks and can score hot chicks. He may come from money. Then after riding the vagina carousel he finds himself washed up with a 1.5 GPA, natty ice-induced flab and the general inability to contribute anything of value to a woman or society. He joins the ranks of the middle-aged American loser. He goes off to sell used cars. In 30 years you see him 60lbs overweight and bald, cruising p4p bars in Manila or Pattaya with stories of his life as a spy or special forces.

2. A young, fit guy who slays chicks. Acts like the guy from #1 but gets his shit done. "Bro" is used in fun or in jealousy.

3. A funny term used on normal guys. Maybe for making fitness a priority or for doing jager shots at the bar. Guys call each other bro, and sometimes girls call a normal guy bro but it usually means shes teasing and is actually interested in you.

I've been called a bro (bro 3) and didn't get my panties in a bunch... its not much different than "duuuuuuude!"

This is the Original Bro (Bro 1 after graduating college):

“There is no global anthem, no global currency, no certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag, and that flag is the American flag!” -DJT

Quote: (03-14-2015 01:51 AM)scotian Wrote:  

My approach has been to question the validity/meaning of the term. Hipster: "Formerly cool neighborhood X has been overrun by bros." Me: "What's a bro?" I've never had anyone give me a good definition. But this has been online interactions only.

Someone broke down the history of the word Bro on quora. Pretty interesting:

http://www.quora.com/When-did-the-term-b...me-popular

It's been used since the 1600s in England. But only began being used in the contemporary sense since the 60s when black dudes started using it. It was sort of a more polite version of "mah nigga". Now it's a synonym of "douchebag".

Funny, when I'm in the gym and see one of my compadres getting ready for a set, occasionally I'll say: "Don't throw that shit up, bro that shit up man!"

Quote: (03-14-2015 12:12 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

Bro ...don't bro me bro [Image: lol.gif]

I don't like the term. It's a term male aquaintences use to create an artificial sense of male bonding. It's fake.

That a bit of a pessimistic, cynical perspective.

What makes you think the attempt at male bonding between acquaintances is always artificial and fake? Most guys are at least on some level anxious to bond with other males - just look how often the inability to make friends with other men comes up on this forum.

Even using it with guys you don't know isn't necessarily inauthentic. There's a tendency to be more critical of peers from your own society, but bro in American culture can be likened to Cambodians calling each other "bong" or brother or sister. The same is true between strangers in Nepal and I believe many other cultures.

There is something very healthy, for yourself and others, in thinking of every person you meet as a brother or sister and addressing them as such. Even if you're unsure if you fully believe in the word as it escapes your lips, it opens up the door for a connection. It lets another guy know you're not a threat and that you "come in peace," so to speak. That doesn't mean the situation can't change, but it sets the stage for a positive interaction, and if you think about it, the fact that strangers can interact so easily in modern society without violence is a pretty interesting thing.

I'm sure there are plenty of guys who just use the term to project a certain persona, but I wouldn't make the mistake of assuming everyone who uses it is being fake. I don't mean this as an insult, but I think this idea says a lot more about your perception of other people and the society around you than it does about the men using the term.

Say two guys meet, and one uses a term of endearment like "bro" even though they don't know one another and acts humble but open. On the other hand, the other guy maybe grimaces a bit but smiles and say what's up, but inside he's thinking, "Wow, this guy doesn't even know me. What a fucking chump." Or maybe makes an offhand comment to his buddy when the other guy is out of earshot, and while he acts friendly enough on the outside is still feeling hostile and closed off inside.

Who is the antisocial one? Which one is being fake?

Quote: (03-14-2015 12:39 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

Bro has become a gay term. ie. :

"Bromance"
"Brojob"

Brah is even worse. It sounds like annoying thing women use to protect their titties. Do not use either term.

You of all people, Ali. You won't catch me saying Brojob or Bromance, but I'm not going to stop using a term I've used for maybe 20 years because the new cool kids have decided it's uncool.

Beyond All Seas

In the tech world "brogrammer" just means a guy programmer who isn't part of geek culture. That started up 2-3 years ago. I've never identified with geek culture... well, I'll admit I was a fan of Star Trek - TNG back in college. I guess I was a brogrammer before they had a word for it.

"Brah" sounds try-hard, but I really can't fucking stand when chicks say "brah". You're not one of the guys, stop it.

I can't stop saying bro, bro.