rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Misdemeanors

Misdemeanors

Has anyone here ever gotten any type of misdemeanor? I recently got arrested last month and finally got all the legal shit sorted out. I only had to pay the tickets so no jail time or probation or anything. Can being convicted of misdemeanors hurt you from getting a job in the future? I am a freshman in college and don't really want to be fucked over for the rest of my life.

Misdemeanors

I know a guy in class who also got a misdemeanor. Missed just one day of class. Must've worked out all right for him.

Hello.

Misdemeanors

I'm assuming by misdemeanor you mean soliciting a prostitute? That's probably the only misdemeanor that cops actually arrest you for that I can think of.

All employers run criminal background checks nowadays, however, unless you are going for a job that requires top level security clearance, or high-profile job like a VP, I seriously doubt corporate america will reject you on a misdemeanor. Lord knows how many people walk around with weird arrests records in the marketing and sales depts.

Unless it's one of the big-4 auditing firms, those guys are square pricks.

Talk to a criminal attorney to find out about getting it sealed or thrown out. Paying fines is accepting guilt.

Oldnemesis will have wiser words for you.

Mixx

Misdemeanors

Quote: (05-12-2011 05:10 PM)wi30 Wrote:  

Has anyone here ever gotten any type of misdemeanor? I recently got arrested last month and finally got all the legal shit sorted out. I only had to pay the tickets so no jail time or probation or anything. Can being convicted of misdemeanors hurt you from getting a job in the future? I am a freshman in college and don't really want to be fucked over for the rest of my life.

If you already have pleaded guilty to the misdemeanor, look into getting it expunged. This will allow you to say on job applications (except for certain jobs like police officer) that you have never been convicted of a crime.

The problem nowadays is that it is really easy to do a background check for even misdemeanors. A lot of police depts & court houses post info about crimes (misdemeanors & felonies) on-line.

Plus, criminal court records are usually public info, so anyone can search for them using lexis nexis or by requesting the info from a court house.

Misdemeanors

Quote: (05-12-2011 05:10 PM)wi30 Wrote:  

Typical disclaimer: I'm not licensed to practice law in any US state, and therefore this is not legal advice.

It is not possible to provide an answer as you didn't provide any details. What state are you in? Does your state has classes of misdemeanor? CA doesn't; it uses instead "infraction" for most minor traffic offenses which doesn't count as misdemeanor and is handled differently (you have no right for jury trial, for example). In Minnesota, AFAIR, every speeding ticket is misdemeanor, but minor ones are "petty misdemeanors". So, as you see, it is not possible to give any reasonable answer until you at least say the state you got prosecuted.

Misdemeanors here in CA will pop up during background check, but I doubt they are in Minnesota, very few companies (like your insurance company) are interested in how many times you ran a stop sign. So it depends of what kind of misdemeanor it is, and what kind of job you're applying for. A DUI will likely prevent you from ever being an airline pilot, but may be irrelevant if you apply for a software developer position.

If you're really concerned about it, I'd talk to a local lawyer to see what possibly could be done in your situation. There may be possibility to have it removed from your record, but it depends on state, and the rules are likely to be state-specific.

Misdemeanors

Quote: (05-12-2011 06:43 PM)MiXX Wrote:  

I'm assuming by misdemeanor you mean soliciting a prostitute? That's probably the only misdemeanor that cops actually arrest you for that I can think of.

Here in CA it is very rare to get actually charged with soliciting prostitution. From what I know, most people are slapped with "disturbance of peace" or some other generic stuff like public urination.

Misdemeanors

It was in the state of Oklahoma. I was really drunk and got charged with public intox, vandalism, and false representation and spent the night in jail. Needless to say it was a rough night. I plead no contest and the tickets were already paid for from the bail I posted. I am majoring in finance and plan on being an entrepreneur so it's probably not as big of a deal compared to other careers. I'm not from Oklahoma so would it easily come up on a background check in another state? I would also like to get it expunged but I will have to check into the local laws.

Misdemeanors

1. This doesn't look like a big deal to me, even not considering your plans. Remember, we just had a President and Vice President who both had DUI convictions. Still it might make sense to put some effort to have it expunged (and check with attorney first if it "expires" automatically, like convictions on your driving record, or you have to do something for it).

2. A simple background check might not find it at all, especially if you never mention you been to Oklahoma. And while it is possible to browse through the court records, it is done only when necessary as it is manual work which costs much more comparing to automated request. However they typically ask you if you were ever convicted for any crime anyway.