rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Resistance Tubing: A Datasheet

Resistance Tubing Datasheet

This datasheet is going to be split up into several sections:
  • Disclaimers
  • Introduction
  • How it works
  • Myths Busted
  • Benefits vs Drawbacks
  • Example Exercises
  • Results
  • Conclusion
This will allow users to simply skip to the sections they want to read if they don't want to read the whole piece. If you don't want to read the whole piece and are looking for a tl;dr, the 'Benefits vs Drawbacks' section will act as this. The terms resistance bands and resistance tubing are often used very interchangeably, but for clarity's sake I will use the term 'resistance tubing' throughout the datasheet, as resistance bands sometimes mean another piece of fitness equipment used for mainly for stretching .

Disclaimers
  1. I am in no way promoting any specific product, however at some points in the datasheet I may use specific products as examples.
  2. I know that some of the men on this forum are stuck in their ways of just lifting iron day in day out. I'm simply just informing you of an alternative exercise method, not telling you you're wrong.
  3. I don't in any way consider myself an exercise knowledge guru. However, after using resistance tubing and researching it quite extensively, I should be able to answer most of your questions.
  4. Lastly, I am currently using resistance tubing in a program which incorporates exercises using free weights, resistance tubing and resistance tubing with free weights.
Introduction
Firstly, you may be thinking "Resistance Tubing? Isn't that what yoga moms and geriatrics use for flexibility? I'm here to build muscle, not to train for the next local dance night". You're right and wrong. Resistance tubing (the subject of this datasheet) can be used for muscle building, flexibility and injury rehabilitation. The slightly similar piece of equipment that yoga moms and geriatrics use is resistance bands. Bands can't really build muscle, but tubing can.

Resistance Tubing:
[Image: resistance2.jpg]
The resistance tubing I use has clips which means you can attach multiple tubes to each handle.

Resistance Bands:
[Image: 13_Inch_BandsSm.jpg]

From these pictures, you can see that resistance tubing has handles, which greatly increases the amount of exercises you can do with them. And, more obviously and importantly, it is an elastic tube. This means that they can be packed into small areas, making it ideal for the travelling man.

Cost-wise, they are very cheap. 75lbs of total resistance (I'll cover this in more detail later) will cost you less than $15/£10. When comparing this to the equivalent in weights (especially if you aren't using plain iron weights), it works out to be much cheaper.

How it works
In this section, I will be discussing the similarities between tubing and free weights, how resistance tubing works the muscles and how you can 'change' the weights.

Firstly, the similarities between resistance tubing and free weight training. They both offer a form of resistance, which in both can be progressed by adding more resistance. They both allow a range of motion and a variable speed of movement (think prolonging the eccentric phase during bicep curls). One difference between the two is that resistance tubing does not require gravity to work, so there is a greater range of movements and positions which can be done with them. Furthermore, resistance tubing is far less dangerous, as if your muscles become too tired and you can't push anymore, letting go of the handle will do far less damage than dropping a dumbell or barbell.

Resistance tubing does work the muscles differently to free weights. Think of yourself doing a bicep curl with a resistance tube. At the start of the curl, the resistance may only be 15 pounds. But as you approach the peak of the curl, the elastic is stretched and now offers 30 pounds of resistance. This is called variable resistance, and means that the same muscles are worked at different amounts throughout a rep. Another difference between the two is that with tubing, there is constant tension on the muscles, whereas to achieve this with free weights you have to carefully control the extension and flexion phases of each movement. Lastly, you may also think that only free weights incorporate stabilizer muscles. If you try to do resistance tubing exercises with good form, keeping your form correct will activate stabilizer muscles.

The way the weight/resistance of resistance tubing is altered is similar to that of free weights. To increase the weight of a barbell, you would add plates to it; To increase the resistance of tubing you add more tubes. The tubes 'stack' up, just like free weights do. For example, if you were currently chest pressing 60lbs (2 x 30lbs bands), you could add a third band that has 15lbs of resistance to increase the press to 75lbs.

Myths Busted
'They're just glorified elastic bands- surely they'll stretch out an weaken with use?' This is false. However, the first few reps of using a new resistance tube will stretch it out slightly, and from then on it won't stretch anymore. Luckily, most producers accommodate this in their designs, so you shouldn't end up with a really long piece of elastic.

'Resistance tubing can't build muscle as quickly or effectively as weight training or using machines'. This is false. Multiple studies have shown that using elastic tubing is on a par with isotonic movements (e.g. weightlifting) in terms of building muscle.

'Variable resistance is a myth. The resistance is the same throughout the movement, it's been scientifically proven that this is a myth' I don't care much for the opinions of some geeky researcher who has probably never used one in his life, from my personal experience and from other users of resistance tubing experiences, the movement becomes gradually harder. Honest.

Benefits vs Drawbacks
Benefits
  • Transportability- Especially for the nomadic nature of the men on here, being able to do chest presses, chest flys, bicep curls and many more exercises in a hotel room or apartment is very useful.
  • Range of exercises- Since resistance tubing doesn't need gravity to work, there are many more positions you can exercise in. Tubing is also far less cumbersome than a barbell, so exercises such as bent-over rows can be adjusted slightly.
  • Safer- It's harder to strain yourself as the movements are smoother and less jerky than if you were using free weights. There is also far less danger if you lose control of the bands compared to losing control of a loaded barbell.
  • Cheap- As I have previously mentioned, 75lbs of total resistance cost around $15-£10, which is cheaper than the free weight equivalent.
  • Muscle-building- Resistance tubing can build and tone muscle. Even if you feel you can lift the full amount of resistance available to you, you can increase the rep range or do it in a harder position.
Drawbacks
  • Limit of muscle-building resistance- As mentioned above, there are only so many bands you can use at once, meaning eventually there will be a plateau in the total resistance you can use. However, this can be well over 100lbs, so adapting your rep range means you can adjust to this.
  • Might be looked down on by experienced lifters- As this is a relatively modern piece of equipment. older and more experienced lifters may look down on it. Obviously to the alpha males of RVF who don't give a fuck, this doesn't really matter. Furthermore, if you are in a gym, it's best if you do use free weights. Resistance tubing is more of an alternative if you want to change your program, are at home or travelling abroad.
Example Exercises
There is a multitude of exercises to be done with resistance tubing. Here, I will give examples of the most common exercises instead of every single one under the sun.

Bench Press:
[Image: tubing_bench_press.jpg]

Chest Press:
[Image: exercise-bands-chest-press-2.jpg]

Chest Flys:
[Image: resistance-band-chest-fly-start-200x180.jpg]

Leg Extensions: (You will have to use the ankle attachments for these)
[Image: 13533256(300x300).jpg]

Bent-over Rows:
[Image: resistance-band-row-exercise.jpg]

Lat Pulldowns:
[Image: resistance-band-lat-pulldown-start.jpg]

There are also ways in which resistance tubing can be used to make your standard exercises harder, these are shown below.

Press-ups:
[Image: resistance-band-push-up.jpg]

Bench Press:
[Image: Barbell_Bench_Press_On_Bench_With_Band_1...1295961627]

Results
Whilst I'm not going to include any pictures of myself in this, I will describe in detail the effects using resistance tubing has had on me. Overall, I've been implementing resistance tube training into my workouts for around a month now.

From my very first workout, I felt that my muscles seem so much more worked all over, as if the whole pec or bicep has been used when using resistance bands. I also used to have reasonably minor muscle imbalances, which have improved drastically improved since I started using the tubing.

Muscle-growth wise, I do feel like I have been gaining ahead of the curve at which I would normally gain muscle mass. Interestingly, my forearms seem to have really exploded, I'm not completely sure why but it may be to do with the constant tension that the elastic provides.

Conclusion
Hopefully, this datasheet may have encouraged you to at least give resistance tubing a try. I really think that there aren't any reasons why you shouldn't get some, as even if you want to do a program such as Starting Strength, they can always be used for slightly more rigorous stretching or if you feel you need to put extra work in. You can always do what I do, which is to do a mixture of exercises, some of which are purely using resistance tubing, some with free weights and some using both together.

This is not a bad datasheet, but you missed the strandpulling exercises you can't duplicate with anything else. Those are the overhead downward pull, behind the back press, front chest press, and front chest pull. There are more, but those are considered the important ones.

Bands are great for shoulder rehab/prehab and adding some mass to your upper body, especially shoulders.

With a homemade setup, resistance is virtually unlimited. I copied the construction of The Hook.

http://www.sierraexercise.com/

This website shows you how to make your own.

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenandoah/...rings.html

I've been using/making my own bands on and off for about six months now.

Also, bands are as old as recorded history. In many places, strandpulling was more popular than the lifting of heavy stones. Nomadic tribes have been pulling on bows to strength train for thousands of years.

Strandpulling is certainly not superior to weights, but they have their place. If you travel a lot, nothing beats bands and calisthenics.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

I had thought about including those exercises, but I wanted to include an image for each exercise, and as I could only use 10 images, I just wanted to cover the most basic exercises. I agree that using it with calisthenics is best for travellers.

Another thing to add is that if there are lots of similar/repeated questions on this, I may make an FAQ thread on resistance bands/tubing.

I have been interested for quite a while in getting a "Maxwell's Super Easy Deadlift Kit". That's a pretty badass workout addition to anybody looking to hit legs while travelling.

Overall pretty good data sheet. Why aren't curls included though?

So how long have you been using these things then OP?

What results have you got?

Great post OP. Which manufacturer should I go with? I want a good set with multiple, easily adjusted grades of resistance.

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

I don't mean to be overly disrespectful (I really don't but this has to be said) but I'm pretty sure the OP is 17, started training five minutes ago and was only a few months ago unsure as to whether dumbbell curls would build his chest or something silly.

As a result of this I would take any advice beyond the cut and paste original post with a pinch of salt.

I understand the desire to give back to the community here but I'd rather data sheets on training were produced after extensive experience and with comprehensive knowledge.

As I said in the post, I've had them for just over a month now, which I think is enough to have reasonable knowledge of them. I've never stated anything about dumbell curls working your chest, so please don't reject my knowledge on this topic based on something untrue.

Roberto, to answer your question. The kit I am using came from a small online fitness shop, which unfortunately I can't remember the name of at the moment. If you are concerned about quality, just make sure you are buying through a store instead of an individual if buying online. The one I have is a kit pretty much like this, but slightly heavier. You should check the total resistance you're getting before buying. http://ebay.co.uk/itm/321369042759?nav=SEARCH

Hades, I wanted to include an image with each exercise and if I included curls then there would have been over 10 images, which is the maximum. I think doing deadlifts with the resistance tubing would work well, but you'd have to find a way of maybe using a shorter piece of elastic.

Quote: (03-01-2015 10:38 AM)britchard Wrote:  

As I said in the post, I've had them for just over a month now, which I think is enough to have reasonable knowledge of them.

A whole month?

I remember when I was 17 I got pulled over by the police on the motorway for speeding. I can still picture the officer's incredulous look when I told him I'd been driving a month and had done 2000 miles, as if that somehow gave me the experience to be driving inappropriately.

I'm not picking on you for no reason here, as I said before. I just think telling people you'll do a FAQ on something you know nothing about, beyond a handful of sessions, to be ridiculous.

Myself and other guys here have been training/coaching others to train for longer than you've been alive. Don't pass yourself off as an expert on something when you're not.

"Resistance tubing can't build muscle as quickly or effectively as weight training or using machines'. This is false. Multiple studies have shown that using elastic tubing is on a par with isotonic movements (e.g. weightlifting) in terms of building muscle."

I find this very hard to believe unless the bands are creating the same amount of resistance as you'd be using with a heavy barbell.

[Image: attachment.jpg24998]   

This is my current travel kit. Just coming off a bad elbow sprain from work (3 months), so resistance bands are my preferred method of getting back in shape. Been using them on and off for years. I can answer a lot of questions.

Does Skyy vodka have more protein for a post workout shake than Absolut?

Quote: (03-01-2015 11:43 AM)RioNomad Wrote:  

Does Skyy vodka have more protein for a post workout shake than Absolut?

LMAO!!!

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

Vodka is my post-post workout shake. Shaken, not stirred. But let out focus lie elsewhere.

Quote: (03-01-2015 11:21 AM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

This is my current travel kit. Just coming off a bad elbow sprain from work (3 months), so resistance bands are my preferred method of getting back in shape. Been using them on and off for years. I can answer a lot of questions.

Ali, what are those cutout shoes you got? Can you elaborate more on them? The ones that look like Hulk feet.

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards

^^^ You know what they say about guys with big feet........[Image: heart.gif]

Those are Vibrams Five Fingers. Probably the KSO's. Can't remember, but they are my favorite workout shoe of all time.

@ Crashbagwallop - OP clearly stated he is not a fitness knowledge guru. He never claims to be an expert on the subject either.

@OP - Thanks for the Datasheet. As comprehensive as it is for someone that's only been using resistance tubing for a month, I look forward to Updates on progress and the insight you'll gain from extended use.

I've always been curious about tubes since I travel so much. I'll look into and reconsider them now.

Quote: (03-01-2015 11:04 AM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  

Quote: (03-01-2015 10:38 AM)britchard Wrote:  

As I said in the post, I've had them for just over a month now, which I think is enough to have reasonable knowledge of them.

A whole month?

I remember when I was 17 I got pulled over by the police on the motorway for speeding. I can still picture the officer's incredulous look when I told him I'd been driving a month and had done 2000 miles, as if that somehow gave me the experience to be driving inappropriately.

I'm not picking on you for no reason here, as I said before. I just think telling people you'll do a FAQ on something you know nothing about, beyond a handful of sessions, to be ridiculous.

Myself and other guys here have been training/coaching others to train for longer than you've been alive. Don't pass yourself off as an expert on something when you're not.

Is your problem with the datasheet in general, or that I'm answering questions? Or both? Genuinely interested to know.

Quote: (03-01-2015 11:55 AM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

^^^ You know what they say about guys with big feet........[Image: heart.gif]

Those are Vibrams Five Fingers. Probably the KSO's. Can't remember, but they are my favorite workout shoe of all time.

Do you run in them? I'm thinking of possibly getting a pair.

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards

Quote: (03-01-2015 07:57 AM)roberto Wrote:  

Great post OP. Which manufacturer should I go with? I want a good set with multiple, easily adjusted grades of resistance.

http://www.bodylastics.com

I haven't found any better. The advantage is they have D-rings on the ends so you can switch out quick and combine. Very efficient. The biggest set goes up to 328 lbs.

Quote: (03-01-2015 11:14 AM)RioNomad Wrote:  

"Resistance tubing can't build muscle as quickly or effectively as weight training or using machines'. This is false. Multiple studies have shown that using elastic tubing is on a par with isotonic movements (e.g. weightlifting) in terms of building muscle."

I find this very hard to believe unless the bands are creating the same amount of resistance as you'd be using with a heavy barbell.

They use different muscle groups. Use them together for maximum effect.

But resistance is resistance. One of the former powerlifting champions wrote about it in his book, but I can't remember the title.

Quote: (03-01-2015 12:19 PM)jayyrod1 Wrote:  

I've always been curious about tubes since I travel so much. I'll look into and reconsider them now.

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-8919.html

@ Moma- They are best for running because they force you run with proper stance, ie. striking on the ball of your foot and not the heel.

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-36283.html

I'm still researching the New Balance Minimus though.

I currently can't use a barbell due to a mashed right hand. Can I strap these to a belt to do squats with?

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

^I've seen people doing that, so yes. They either strap them to the belt or some people have loops on their belts and put them through those. I'd search it on youtube to see how you should be doing it before you try.

Quote:Quote:

Hades, I wanted to include an image with each exercise and if I included curls then there would have been over 10 images, which is the maximum. I think doing deadlifts with the resistance tubing would work well, but you'd have to find a way of maybe using a shorter piece of elastic.

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of an image maximum.

Steve Maxwell's Deadlift Kit has those issues addressed already. (Not an affiliate link). This is what I was referring to with the deadlift kit.

There's a pretty neat strandpulling forum if you run out of training ideas or are interested in a routine or something. Apparently those guys are big on buying harpoon gun tubing for training with.

http://strandpulling.yuku.com/directory

It doesn't seem terribly active but they have a lot of good resources there.

Good work on getting started, for sure. Come back in six months with a few extra pounds of rip to show for it!

About equipment, methods, and assistance exercises.

Equipment
1. If you are using a spring-based set, add spring-opened caribiners to allow you to add and release springs quickly
2. Get equipment with handles that rotate as you use them. Saves the hands so lets you pull bigger weights

Method
It is never pointed out but there are TWO important ways to use strands:
a: With the scapula (shoulder blade) in depression (i.e., with lades pulled down and the lower point of the scapula tipped up, causing the chest to lift or "expand")
b: with the shoulder blade in extension, as if you are boxing

General points
If you are into martial arts, a lot of your training will be with the scapula in extension. Make sure you practice appropriate scapula positions

Assistance exercises/equipment
1. Power twister. Yeh, ok, laugh, but this helps develop the opposing action from the expanders and strengthens the bicep tendon which attaches to scapula and elbow and is involved in forearm rotation and hand strength. It also develops upper pec and the traps. Again, use it in both scapula positions. Protects the inner circle of the arms/chest in fighting (when opponent attempts to rip your guard away)

2. Motor cycle inner tube 1: cut it and loop it over a transom or something. Do front and rear pull downs and holds. Will increase the power of your front pulls

3. Motor cycle inner tube 2: do not cut tube. put it around your back, just below the scapula. Push it out in front, down, up, one armed, two armed, twisting, pushing, pulling, ripping. Do it all in accordance with the principles of your martial art. It is exhausting and allows you to train good strong muscle memory for fighting