rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

A case for the "golden middle"

It's kind of a funny but seemingly common sense observation I had a long time ago that is applicable for pretty much everything in life: just don't overdo it. Don't go to the extremes. Find the golden middle. Most of the time, extremes have bad and dire consequences in either direction, but the golden middle path is usually the best of those worlds. You can apply this to every aspect of life.

Topic: working out. One extreme is the unfit slob who may not even necessarily be fat, but he's weak, frail, always tired. His joints are aching from underuse, his back, knees and shoulders hurt. He gets winded from doing a full jog. The general sex session consists of 1 minute of thrusting followed by 1 hour of cuddling. His self-esteem suffers because he has no confidence in the capabilities of his body. He gets butthurt when his girl glances at fit guys. The other extreme is the #yolo #atgym #nopainnogain guy who posts a gym selfie every time he goes to the gym. Even if his physique is good, you won't have time to notice because he'll tell you first how much he trains and how important fitness is for him. Whenever you eat anything, he snickers and then starts preaching about the benefits of paleo, fasting, multivitamins, crossfit etc. He will never be seen outside in anything that doesn't sit tight around his body. He'll be the very first guy running to you in the gym to correct your form/give you tips. He's the know it all about health and if you don't believe him you can check his instagram, facebook, twitter etc. account. The golden middle would be someone who simply trains, keeps fit, stays healthy and that's all. He doesn't need to trump it up because if he does it right, people notice and will ask him himself.

Topic: gaming women. On the one end we have the betas and unenlightened. They could simply be ignorant of game or violently opposed to it. They don't have much luck with women but they blame everything in the world for it. Whenever you explain something to them they sneer at advice. "Pheh, I don't manipulate women, I want to meet someone who is interested in ME and not some douchecanoe pretender". The other extreme is the typical newbie gamebro who just started out. His life consists of game. He goes out sarging every day and does 100 approaches. His free time is spent gaming and dating. He has a stable mediocre job with which he finances his dating life but he doesn't have much going on. Whenever he has to talk about his life with girls he'll regurgitate the pre-planned DMV stories about some stuff he did that one time, even if that time was several years ago, simply because he doesn't have any newer exploits to talk about. He doesn't read, doesn't have many hobbies, doesn't hustle for money and doesn't improve himself because he simply hasn't time for that. But hey he has a date lined up for every day of the week. Most of those, even if they result in a lay, won't be recurring girls because he doesn't bring anything interesting beside his first impression to the table. But he doesn't care because he'll sarge on day in day out for ever new dates! The middle road would obviously be someone who is aware of game, learned how to apply it and the lessons from it. He has hobbies, projects and hustles that he does. He games, and has girls lined up because women sweeten his life and provide some nice entertainment. He can't do 7 dates a week because he has other shit to do, so he selects his dates more carefully instead of going for quality. When he finds an LTR worthy girl he'll be able to keep her because she'll feel there's something more to this guy than the simple first attraction that she had for him.

Choose any other topic and you can apply the same logic to it. Like education. one extreme is the uneducated dolt who can't do more than be a retail clerk (even though secretly he thinks he's an unappreciated genius), the other is the credentialist who starts each sentence with "As a X graduate, I..." and thinks the world needs to kneel before him and give him respect because he visited X university and got Y, Z certificates. The proper approach is to get the needed skills for whatever you're planning to do from whichever way and then proceed from there.

You get the gist. There are many topics even on RVF that go the A or B route (alpha or beta?) or simply don't stop and consider if they're not being a bit extreme. Whenever a question arises "should I do x..." "am I going overboard with y...." for any reason in life, ask yourself: what would be the 2 extremes of that particular issue, where is the golden middle, and where do you lie?

inb4 100 posts of people posting exceptions for this general idea that I obviously didn't account for

I don't see any actual arguments for why going to extremes is inherently bad. Just you philosophizing based on your subjective values and experiences.

Whole post is built on the "Argument to moderation" fallacy.

People are different, some would be better off following your prescription, while others would find more happiness/long term satisfaction by concentrating heavily on a few areas in life.

Quote:Quote:

He'll be the very first guy running to you in the gym to correct your form/give you tips. He's the know it all about health and if you don't believe him you can check his instagram, facebook, twitter etc. account. The golden middle would be someone who simply trains, keeps fit, stays healthy and that's all. He doesn't need to trump it up because if he does it right, people notice and will ask him himself.

Most of your complaints have nothing to do with working out. Lifting more or getting swoler doesn't magically turn you into some kind of internet evangelist and real-world blabbermouth. You could be doughy and weak and still irritating.

Quote: (02-09-2015 05:37 PM)Rangarr Wrote:  

inb4 100 posts of people posting exceptions for this general idea that I obviously didn't account for

Let me be the first:

I was going to kill 100 hookers before I read your post. Now I'm only going to kill 50.

The golden middle between eating fast food until you pass out and cutting all fast food out of your life is eating a moderately large amount of fast food.

Quote: (02-26-2015 01:57 PM)delicioustacos Wrote:  
They were given immense wealth, great authority, and strong clans at their backs.

AND THEY USE IT TO SHIT ON WHORES!