rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

the placebo effect and steroids

I was reading this cracked article that said that placebos can work even if people know that they're taking a placebo, because they still have a belief in the placebo effect.

As long as you're taking two sugar pills or injecting a vial of sugar water a day and are convinced that the placebo effect will work, is there any reason to believe that this wouldn't apply to steroids? It sounds sort of ridiculous but if it works then I'd do it every day. Lots of interesting implications if this isn't crap science.

I've heard of a study where weightlifters were given a placebo and told it was a steroid. They made had strength gains over and above the control group, but then lost them when they were told the truth. Mind over matter.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

If you believed it, you would get a slight strength boost. Same as people do when they pay good money for some heavily marketed crap supplement that has a bright red label and a name like SUPERNITROXPLODE.
However, it would probably only work on someone without any steroid experience who doesn't know what it's like.
Testosterone isn't some bullshit supplement that maybe kinda sort of works.
When you take a body building level of testosterone dose the difference in how you feel, workout, and gain is truly dramatic. It goes way way beyond any mental/psychological boost from a placebo effect belief.

"Me llaman el desaparecido
Que cuando llega ya se ha ido
Volando vengo, volando voy
Deprisa deprisa a rumbo perdido"

Yeah man. If you've ever done any type of steroid, prohormone or testosterone booster you'll know the difference between that and a placebo. The real stuff makes you feel all charged up, clear headed and super alive. You feel like superman.

Team Nachos

I think taking prohormones or test boosters is an unwise half measure. A lot of that stuff is just cheaply made garbage.
At best they are a poor imitation of the real deal.
Way better to just get on a real cycle if you want to smash through plateaus and put on real size.

"Me llaman el desaparecido
Que cuando llega ya se ha ido
Volando vengo, volando voy
Deprisa deprisa a rumbo perdido"

OK so start taking a sugar pill before the gym, see if you work out harder because you believe in the placebo effect

Quote: (02-08-2015 10:20 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

Yeah man. If you've ever done any type of steroid, prohormone or testosterone booster you'll know the difference between that and a placebo. The real stuff makes you feel all charged up, clear headed and super alive. You feel like superman.

How do you know? Have you participated in validated scientific testing?

Steroids don't MAKE you stronger, training does.

The main benefit of AAS is they improve muscle protein synthesis and reduce catabolism, which allows you to recover better peri-workout. The reasons listed are precisely why they're prescribed to people with chronic illnesses.

Quote: (02-22-2015 11:30 PM)PHC19 Wrote:  

Steroids don't MAKE you stronger, training does.

The main benefit of AAS is they improve muscle protein synthesis and reduce catabolism, which allows you to recover better peri-workout. The reasons listed are precisely why they're prescribed to people with chronic illnesses.

Steroids will make you stronger whether you workout or not. There was a study several years ago that found that people that took 500mg of test and did not exercise at all made better gains than those that trained and did not take test. Of course I do not advocate doing this.

I may be wrong but I believe that I've heard that the placebo effect usually only lasts among people for a max of two months before reality catches up to the brain