rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Backpacking through SA

Backpacking through SA

I want to travel through South America, i dont have much travel experience. Keep in mind i already live here, so all my travelling will be done by bus.

Ive hosted enough people on CS too realize that (not to be a dick but) well if these people can do it anyone can.

How do i begin to make a budget? How can i estimate how many days will it take approximately?
Im thinking Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Bolivia maybe Colombia (how do i get there without going through Peru?).

Is there a travel blog with all this info already? Most blogs ive read are the type of i quit my job became a hippie and travelled the world as a bum.

Anyone here who has done it?

Backpacking through SA

The first step would be to pick out the destinations you want to visit, and the order in which you'd like to visit them.

It seems to me that the best routing would be the northernmost point in Brazil, to Argentina, across to Chile, up to Bolivia, then to Colombia.

If I was you, and not completely broke, I would really invest a lot of time into learning how to redeem miles for air travel at an affordable rate. There are programmes, such as British Airways' Avios program, which would make this trip so much easier. I cannot imagine taking buses between cities such as Rio and Sao Paulo when BA's redemption rate is only 4,500 miles. You could literally do this whole trip flying if you simply signed up for the BA credit card.

After figuring out the logistics, I would then go into the accommodations - maybe CS or Airbnb or whatever you're comfortable with. Make sure you're not overlapping with some kind of national party of holiday where you'll have to pay $500 for a night.

Google local food costs and taxi costs.

The logistics are key so that you don't end up out of cash in the middle of Bolivia.

Backpacking through SA

Whats wrong with Peru?

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Backpacking through SA

Check out http://planethiker.com

Backpacking through SA

http://wikitravel.org/en/Main_Page

Backpacking through SA

There are TONS of websites dedicated to backpacking.

Here's one I read often - http://www.travelindependent.info/

Backpacking through SA

dog24, "maybe Colombia"? What's your reason for traveling? I think you'll be taking a plane ride to Colombia and perhaps not come back!!

Backpacking through SA

Quote: (02-07-2015 07:40 PM)Cr33pin Wrote:  

Whats wrong with Peru?
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-28636....light=Lima

I said maybe colombia because its so far, it will take a lot of time and money, im not sure when im going to do this, im thinking ill have 3 weeks mid year once my semester is done and maybe a month at the end of the year.

Thats why i want to plan ahead and see what i can do with that time and start saving some money.
Im getting close to 30, if i dont do this now i dont think ill ever do it, plus it will be lame running around with a backpack at that age.

So say i start at Cordoba and work my way up to colombia going through jujuy, then bolivia to see the salt lakes and potosi (seems like a popular place to visit), then of course machu pichu in peru, work my way up to ecuador and then medellin in colombia.
Then go back down all the way to Chile, hit viña del mar then santiago and from there mendoza in argentina. After that i go home.

I can always do a weekend trip to buenos aires in my car, so thats not a priority, neither is brazil, ive been there before, and im sure there will be other opportunities to go.

I saw a vid of a guy that said doing all SA for like 6 weeks cost him like 3500$ including plane tickets is that possible?
Also i dont plan on staying more than a day or two at each place.

Thanks for the info guys, all those pages seem to be about long term travelling though.

Backpacking through SA

Quote: (02-08-2015 03:24 AM)dog24 Wrote:  

Quote: (02-07-2015 07:40 PM)Cr33pin Wrote:  

Whats wrong with Peru?
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-28636....light=Lima

I said maybe colombia because its so far, it will take a lot of time and money, im not sure when im going to do this, im thinking ill have 3 weeks mid year once my semester is done and maybe a month at the end of the year.

Thats why i want to plan ahead and see what i can do with that time and start saving some money.
Im getting close to 30, if i dont do this now i dont think ill ever do it, plus it will be lame running around with a backpack at that age.

So say i start at Cordoba and work my way up to colombia going through jujuy, then bolivia to see the salt lakes and potosi (seems like a popular place to visit), then of course machu pichu in peru, work my way up to ecuador and then medellin in colombia.
Then go back down all the way to Chile, hit viña del mar then santiago and from there mendoza in argentina. After that i go home.

I can always do a weekend trip to buenos aires in my car, so thats not a priority, neither is brazil, ive been there before, and im sure there will be other opportunities to go.

I saw a vid of a guy that said doing all SA for like 6 weeks cost him like 3500$ including plane tickets is that possible?
Also i dont plan on staying more than a day or two at each place.

Thanks for the info guys, all those pages seem to be about long term travelling though.

If you do go to Peru and Machu Piccu, take the Inca trail. I found the walk way nicer then actually arriving there. Sometimes just walking alone on the trail, or just with a small group. When you get to Machu Piccu, it's just so crowded, and the actual site is not that big.

The Salkantay trail is supposed to be awesome too, and even more quiet.

Backpacking through SA

Quote: (02-07-2015 07:23 PM)dog24 Wrote:  

Im thinking Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Bolivia maybe Colombia (how do i get there without going through Peru?).

Quote: (02-08-2015 03:24 AM)dog24 Wrote:  

I'm not sure why Peru gets so much hate on the forum. Out of the six forum members I have met here every one enjoyed it. I enjoy it as well seeing as how I turned what was supposed to be a 3 month trip here into a 6 month one.

Sometimes in my life I would hear from friends that movie sucked and its not worth watching, then I would look on rotten tomatoes and it would have a shitty rating. But I go ahead and watch that movie anyway I end up finding it to be a awesome movie........ Peru is that movie

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Backpacking through SA

3 weeks is not enough time to hit up multiple+ countries, particularly if you plan to go by bus.

With three weeks I would look at doing something like Cordoba-Mendoza/Salta-Santiago-Puerto Montt-Barlioche.

It also depends on what kind of accommodation you are looking at staying in. Hostels? Apartments? Hotels?

The Southern Cone of South America is the most expensive area to travel in all of Latin America more or less. Chile is especially expensive.

Keep in mind that flights can sometimes be more time savers and the same prices as buses as well. I have flown all over the Americas and sometimes you can find really cheap flights if you keep an eye out.

Backpacking through SA

First things first - look me up if you are ever coming to Medellin.

When I plan a trip, I plan around a few important events or destinations I want to hit. Are there a couple of things on the continent that you absolutely want to do? If there is some event or festival, make sure you can work around the dates it requires.

Also consider seasons. Mid-year in winter is probably not the best time to hit the southern countries. So that could be a recommendation to hit the countries closer to the equator mid-year and then stay south during end of year. Unless you have special interests like skiing or similar.

One example of a 3 week itinerary that could work: fly from say BsAs - Bogota, travel around Colombia, fly from Bogota to Leticia, take the Amazon river boat, then fly from say Manaus down to Foz de Iguacu.

The cheapest flights are probably going to be either flights within the same country (eg Manaus - Foz) or award flights using miles.

I would try and work in some flights to carve off some of that distance. You really won't see much of interest on the highway from out the bus window.

There is a lot more I could write. I want to see how this is received first.

Basically you should plan on less places. Spend more time in each place. The best moments of travel are making friends and having new experiences. Three weeks of anonymous highways and bus terminals is not the basis of a fun trip.

You need to be open to staying longer in a place when you like it there. And every seventh or tenth day should be a rest day where you don't do much that's travel related.

Have you read Roosh's book Dead Bat?

Backpacking through SA

As much as people like to bitch about Lonely Planet a newbie traveler like you should just get the Lonely Planet guide to South America on a shoe string. It is pretty epic in terms of having all the maps, transport info, lists of hostels, restaurants, bars, etc. The first time I went abroad solo I had an LP book and I am not sure I would have gotten hooked on travel without it. I was amazed that one book could have so much useful info. I don't use it now anymore since I am a veteran and the internet can replace a lot of its info but it is essential for when you are starting out. As long as you have an LP guide you honestly will figure shit out.

Backpacking through SA

Quote: (02-08-2015 09:20 PM)Tigre Wrote:  

The cheapest flights are probably going to be either flights within the same country (eg Manaus - Foz) or award flights using miles.

Basically you should plan on less places. Spend more time in each place. The best moments of travel are making friends and having new experiences. Three weeks of anonymous highways and bus terminals is not the basis of a fun trip.

You need to be open to staying longer in a place when you like it there. And every seventh or tenth day should be a rest day where you don't do much that's travel related.
I appreciate the advice, like i said most places in SA are not a big deal to me, i could take a day off and go to iguazu falls by car with 100$.

Also places like say rio, buenos aires and places like that dont really seem to me like backpacker destinations, if i go to those places i would rather stay a couple of days in there like it was a one destination holiday trip.
Travelling for months on end while being completely unproductive seems strange to me.

I was thinking more of getting to a place seeing all the things worth seeing and then moving on. But like i said i dont have experience on this so if you guys say that will suck then ill just assume you guys are right.

Also when you guys talk about plane tickets and mileage, how much are we talking about?

I know this might sound lazy on my part, but how about a rough estimate?

Backpacking through SA

Quote: (02-09-2015 03:48 AM)dog24 Wrote:  

I appreciate the advice, like i said most places in SA are not a big deal to me, i could take a day off and go to iguazu falls by car with 100$.

Also places like say rio, buenos aires and places like that dont really seem to me like backpacker destinations, if i go to those places i would rather stay a couple of days in there like it was a one destination holiday trip.
Travelling for months on end while being completely unproductive seems strange to me.

I was thinking more of getting to a place seeing all the things worth seeing and then moving on. But like i said i dont have experience on this so if you guys say that will suck then ill just assume you guys are right.

Also when you guys talk about plane tickets and mileage, how much are we talking about?

I know this might sound lazy on my part, but how about a rough estimate?

For example, Manaus to Foz in July is around US$200 one way on voegol.com.br.

Asuncion to Medellin with a stopover in Lima starts at US$270 one way. That is using Avianca award miles. You probably couldn't personally book it for that price if you signed up now. But someone else can book it in your name if you also pay for the miles used.

I appreciate that Foz is not so exotic for you. I picked it to be close to your starting point.

The idea behind not scheduling too much is that sometimes it just doesn't suit you to move on quickly. You meet a girl and want to stay longer with her. Or you make an awesome group of friends, then have to leave the next day. Or you get sick, but you have to push on anyway since you already booked everything. Maybe you miss a bus and have to pay an expensive taxi to keep up with your ambitious schedule.

The sightseeing just gives structure and a mission to the trip. What will be most memorable and enjoyable is the random stuff that happens along the way.

It's a good idea to try and narrow down on what you enjoy and what you don't. Some people like natural wonders, personally I find them boring. I enjoy cities, going out at night drinking and hitting on exotic women.

If you visualize the trip in your head, what kind of things are you doing in the daytime? At night? Would the trip still be considered a success if you saw some tourist sights and new countries but didn't get laid once?